Wylie forging personal bond with Vols

Dooley, players rave about strength coach

Bennie Wylie

Bennie Wylie

Gains in the weight room were expected.

Bennie Wylie also has drawn praise for some of the creative ways he's helped Tennessee's football team make them.

But perhaps the single biggest reason the Vols have raved about their new head strength coach is the personal bond he's forged with all of them - literally relating to each player by going through the exact same workouts they do.

"His philosophy is that, 'Listen, I can't train you all unless I know how you feel,' " senior Nick Reveiz said. "So he goes up and above. We have three groups, he runs with all three groups in the running and conditioning part. Then he lifts as hard as he can with one group, so he knows when to take off, when to push it, and that's big-time credibility-wise.

"You all (in the media) have seen him. Coach (Derek) Dooley was saying he's the guy we want getting off the bus first, people thinking that he's playing."

The former Sam Houston State running back still looks like he could do it, though Wylie also wouldn't look out of place in a UFC octagon either.

But it's not really Wylie's physique Dooley was worried about when he was looking for his first strength coach at UT - the fourth in the program in the last three years. Given restrictive rules that keep Dooley and the rest of the coaching staff from spending much time with the players throughout the summer, the strength position is easily the most important in terms of developing the roster.

And Wylie has wasted little time with it this summer, becoming a trusted right-hand man for Dooley in the process.

"Bennie has been phenomenal," Dooley said. "He's also a phenomenal extension of me and what our organizational values are. He's not doing it for Bennie Wylie, he's doing it for the organization, and I think that's what makes him special. Bennie is really something special.

"It's critical, because I can't be out there. Our coaches can't be out there. So you can take the eight weeks in the summer and either the players can work with no purpose, or every day they can have a purpose that ties into the organizational model. So if the strength coach is not an extension of the staff, then you're just working out. You're not developing and growing as a team."

From all appearances, the Vols do appear to be growing.

Reveiz, tight end Luke Stocker and defensive end Chris Walker all filled out their suits rather easily last week at SEC media days, and to a man all agreed similar results will be apparent when UT officially reports for fall camp next week.

And, obviously, Wylie figures to be there in pretty good shape as well.

"Working out with them - that's a little bit of his M.O.," Dooley said. "I don't think you have to do it all with them to (get results). But he's got tremendous energy and he's developing the football player - not the bodybuilder, not the weightlifter. He's developing the player, so not only is it the physical conditioning, but it's also a mental component of training your mind and how you think.

"I don't think there's a strength coach in America that gives a greater personal investment in developing every individual player on a team than Bennie Wylie. I think our players are seeing that."

The Vols have seen that up close and personal. At this point it seems they could just look in the mirror to see the impact as well.

JohnnyU writes:

Sounds like a good find for strength coach. I like Dooley's philosophy about it. It will be interesting to see how they look on the field. Did the Ausmus guy follow Kiffin to USC, or what?

Bigger_Al writes:

I guess regardless of all this, we are still doomed to finish worse than we ever have in the SEC.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

That's the spirit.

Knoxvile25 writes:

this is great to hear and exciting!

whats the over under saying that he is gone after this year; seems like thats our M.O. lately

cc623 writes:

I think it's great to have a man like Bennie Wylie that trains with the guys and develops a bond with them.A man just telling you to work out will not get the same results as a man willing to do the same things that he asks players to do.The relationships formed during these workouts will be monumental during the season and especially late in the fourth quarter.

Yes,Ausmus went quickly with them.I also think it was reported that Dooley would not be retaining his services regardless so he had little choice.

BigOrangeHustler writes:

I didn't know Ray Wylie Hubbard was a Vols fan. Watch out for the snake farm now

nocleats writes:

This guy is the man! Anybody know where Bruno Pauletto ever ended up?

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to TommyJack:

That's the spirit.

Tongue in cheek, mate.

VolGrad writes:

Austin scored another TD with this story. (just setting up the critics for a snide comeback...)

I think I heard Dooley previously mention the "getting off the bus first" comment. It is still a good one, though.

Go Vols!!!

smyrnavol writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Tongue in cheek, mate.

Glad you said that, cause i was about to give Mr. TJ a good ole AMEN.

keepitreal4vols writes:

There are 4 coaches I would recognize if I bumped into them(Dooley, Chaney, Thompson, and maybe Wilcox). It would be nice to include a photo or two when doing articles on our new coaches.

AWOLVol writes:

I agree with you, Keepitreal4vols, but in the mean time, here you go: http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-foot...

richvol writes:

I sure hope Wylie is loyal to Dooley and UT has enough sense to pay him top dollar because this is just the sort of guy that Lame(GOD forbid)would try to hire away from Tennessee. That's his MO. I'd say that's what he did with the Titans coach.

pms151 writes:

I would be the last guy to overstate the obvious, but it seems that the Roadrunner could never outsmart this guy.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I could beat him in 12 oz curls.

Them other devices would be a different story.

GBO.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

I could beat him in 12 oz curls.

Them other devices would be a different story.

GBO.

12 oz curls huh...Dont know if I could beat em but wouldnt mind trying.

gnm53108 writes:

Good read.

Thanks Austin.

jjsteel writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Go blow on another site. Negative attitude breeds negative results.

NFLORIDA_TNGRAD writes:

I just did 15 push ups...this guys good.

vol88 writes:

Good story.

Fulton_Vol writes:

A coach who not only tell you something, but will also show you how it's done, is a guy that you trust and go the extra mile for. He will also be a great asset on the sideline come fall. He will know when to challenge players for the wee bit of reserve strength they have late in games and that can have huge effects in close battles. Keep up the good work, coaches and players!

fronix5000 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

...why? Last year, we came very close to victories on the road with Ala and Fla...stomped Ga, Sc, and grew quickly. People keep saying rebuilding..but we HAVE SOME GREAT TALENT STILL HERE! This negativity is getting VERY OLD. I'm excited because we DO HAVE some great players and coaches...not depressed because Peyton isn't donning the orange. I'm just tired of the negativity. We could come out and win the SEC for all we know. What If we'd beaten Fla and Ala last year? The two in the championship...we are not so down...we are on the brink of it all. Negativity is for loosers only. Winners achieve, not complain. Winners walk forward, not fixate on the past. Winners overcome adversity...give them the chance to do that please.

buxavol writes:

As Jeff Fisher once said, "They all look good in shorts. We'll see if they can play once the pads go on." Hope so...

gnm53108 writes:

in response to fronix5000:

Get em fronix.

Brillovol writes:

in response to NFLORIDA_TNGRAD:

I just did 15 push ups...this guys good.

I think that comment deserves an Amen.

jrobi124 writes:

Im in the US Army and we train our leaders to set the example and lead from the front. tha tis what our stength coach is doing this shows you that he his a leader. do as I do. alot of leaders want you to, do as I say not as I do

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Wylie seems to have the credentials and know how..It's funny how off season training has become a big cornerstone for success on the field..15 years ago it was just something players had to do..Now it's a pretty big part of any teams program.Hopefully Simms and Bray are out there on some practice field working with all the new WRs; also something thats a big key to success

Orangeatang writes:

As a Vol fan, all this preseason hype is what makes the actual football season a living hell for me. Based on all these optimistic stories, my expectations get blown through the roof, which causes my blood pressure and alcohol intake to rise, which sets me up for a really bad emotional and physical hangover after they lay an egg against some chump-style team they're supposed to beat.

I've concluded that the best way to handle the next few years is to stop reading sites like this and only watch the games. If they win, great. If not, at least I'm not devastated emotionally and won't waste thousands of dollars on a booze and therapists.

Of course, here I am, obsessed with the preseason and writing this post.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to jrobi124:

Thank you for your service.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Orangeatang:

Of course, here I am, obsessed with the preseason and writing this post.

Hahaha

You just described how I get ready for the season every year.As far as the season goes...some are better than others.

I'll continue prep'n for the season in that fashion until my ticker/liver cant take it no more.

Here's to the BIG ORANGE!

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to fronix5000:

I'm all about the optimism, and it's good to see you guys having it, but you are wrong about one thing.

You were never close to beating Florida.

Bama, yes, missing a late field goal that would win it is EXTREMELY close.

However, with Florida, you were down by 17 at the end of the third, and were never closer than 10 the rest of the way. That's not "very close".

Orangeatang writes:

in response to gnm53108:

Hahaha

Here's to the BIG ORANGE!

I'm glad there is somebody who can relate. In other news, USC released Glen Stanley today. Maybe he'll come back to Knoxville.

clcvol writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

You were never close to beating Florida.

Bama, yes, missing a late field goal that would win it is EXTREMELY close.

When you're expected to lose by 30.. being down 17 or 10 are still pretty close. Not to mention it showed some of the heart that was on the team not to give up and to keep fighting

Volunatic writes:

Sounds really good-- anything that can give the Vols an edge will be greatly needed this season. It hasn't looked to me like strength and conditioning has been an area where the Vols have excelled compared to their opponents in recent years.
Keep up the good work, Bennie Wylie! GO VOLS!!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to NFLORIDA_TNGRAD:

I just did 15 push ups...this guys good.

Inspiration like that just from reading the article? That's awesome!
I bet Wylie just did 20 pushups after reading your comment.

clcvol writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

when did i ever say anything about a moral victory? simply stating it was close.

VOLliven2it writes:

ONE MORE TIME folks, we do not know what this season will hold. You naysayers could be right but give it a chance. In the end, for the guys who play and we who think we know so much, a winning attitude is far more important than thinking you have to win every time you play. With all the negative waves we get from supposed Vols fans, it is sad. When we have gone 4-8 or 5-7 at the end of the 2010 season, then give me the I TOLD YOU SO baloney. Meanwhile, we don't need to hear it. We know the struggles. We know we don't have coach Fulmer or coach Twinky anymore. We know we don't have the best athletes in the US, not a huge amount of Star-boys etc.
But we do have a team I am convinced will give their best and a dedicated coaching staff including Wylie. If we go 6-6, 7-5 or better, I will expect an apology from all you negatypes who clamor for something we do not have at this point and scoff at what we do have. Will that apology be forthcoming? Hardly a chance that will occur because you will look for something else to criticize. I vote we develop a negaVol link from this site and all trolling must take place there! How about that?
GO VOLS, DO YOUR BEST AND NO ONE CAN ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE! Pay no attention to the fake wizards(see Wizard of Oz)behind the curtain pretending to be Vols fans!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

As a vandy fan we should defer to you on bad football...yaw being the experts and all.But you are forgetting we are Tennessee and we expect to win every year!Sometimes we're disapointed but what we consider a disapointing season yaw would be celebrating in the streets.

voloffaith writes:

in response to ForeverRockyFlop:

Jocko,Jocko,Jocko.....slow down. you've only been on here two days and have 9 posts now. As memory serves me they have all been negative. So as I did yesterday I'll ask you how long will it be before you are banned? Your postings look familiar to a former negativity proponent who has strangely disappeared.

On topic, getem strong to be ready to hold up 4 fingers when the fourth qtr starts and have stamina to play with or surpass your opponent.

tnsportsman writes:

S & C Coach Wylie is CDD's best kept secret and he will make a huge difference! Now that's how you train with someone in charge that knows how to do it. Good to see the Vols are training by the 'need of the position' and not just becoming bodybuilders that can't scratch their own butt.

After this off-season, bar fight and all the changes, I'm still down for 8 wins this year, BOOK IT! Taking all bets!

This weekend I'm cleaning and dusting off all the tailgate gear, TV, satellite, grills, coolers and chairs, LOL! Going shopping to get ready! It's almost time to say the words!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

WV_Vol writes:

I love the fact that no matter what KNS reports the "doom and gloom" crowd still shows up! The reality is that UT is a long way from where they were in the early 2000s. Lack of experience and depth will make for a few tough years, but I really am excited about the "new" direction of the football program. No, not every recruit is a 4 or 5 star, but depth is not built on the back of 4 and 5 star players. Let Dooley and staff work for 3 to 5 years and then make a decision on the future of the program. The truth is the guy has been in town for 6 months and many have already doomed him to failure and relegated UT to the SEC cellar for the next decade.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

You were never close to beating Florida.

Bama, yes, missing a late field goal that would win it is EXTREMELY close.

But, you have to agree that we played you within ten points in spite of the fact that our QB was a real liability at that point in the season. If we had even adequate QB play in that game, it is even closer. If Crompton plays in that game like he did at the end of the season, Vols win.

TommyJack writes:

in response to clcvol:

Furthermore, I don't recall ANYONE ever mentioning moral victories. Except for the paid trolls....

zzvzz123 writes:

Not being a naysayer but isnt this just a fluff article - dont we hear every year that our training staff is so great - I remeber basically the same article being put up for the last two years about the other staff and how all the players had bought in and were going to be in great shape- for that matter doesnt every major program in the country believe that they have the "best" staff and are conditioned better than the opposition - its major college football guys - they are all in excellent shape - am I missing something here?

tnsevol writes:

I like this guy... he's fully committed and genuinely cares about his work... great leadership

coalvol writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

You were never close to beating Florida.

Bama, yes, missing a late field goal that would win it is EXTREMELY close.

I agree. Although some picked ya'll to beat us by 100 points so I would say we did pretty good considering! ;)

BlueTickLady writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

I could beat him in 12 oz curls.

Them other devices would be a different story.

GBO.

You sure? If those 12 oz curls are Big Orange Kool-Aid I bet there are some here that could give you run for your money :)

Personally I prefer my BOK mixed with grey goose. One shot for every score. I might be able to give you a race on the 1.7 oz curls!

Here's to some very fuzzy saturdays this fall! GBO

DavidB writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

You know its the fans with this attitude that cause the problems for UT. Are you not smart enough to realize that potential players read these posts. What do they want to see on here, fans complaining all the time or fans supporting a program they love. I personally think UT is going to shock a lot of people this year. When it came time to send in my donation this year and renew those season tickets I did it with pride. Now is when UT fans need to stand up tall behind our team and our coach.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

GOOD TO SEE MOTIVATION IN THE WEIGHT ROOM, HOPE THE HARD WORK THERE WILL PAY OFF IN LESS INJURIES
FOR THE VOLS. LOOK FORWARD TO THE COLLEGE SEASON - ALMOST HERE! IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW
THE QB SITUATION PLAYS OUT.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Dooley wants him off the bus 1st so people think he plays....

love it.