Brown will not be released from scholarship

Bryce Brown

Photo by Jaime Oppenheimer/The Wichita Ea

Bryce Brown

Bryce Brown is welcome to enroll at Kansas State or anywhere else he might choose.

But the former Tennessee running back will have to pay his own way next season.

Citing three main areas of evaluation, Vols coach Derek Dooley confirmed late Friday night that Brown will not be released from his scholarship - and the fact his request was made in a text message appears to have little to do with the ultimate decision.

"As with the other players who have asked for a release, I went through the same process with the same criteria with Bryce," Dooley said. "These are the three key factors - what their personal investment into the program was, did they have their heart into it and did they give it a good, fair shot. No. 2, the harm that their departure creates for the organization. No. 3, how they handle it as a professional.

"I've done that with every one of these guys -- with Aaron (Douglas), with Todd Campbell, with Nick Stephens, Nick Lamaison and now Bryce. So now my decision based on those three factors with Bryce is not to release him."

Brown doesn't need to be released to transfer to Kansas State and likely join his brother with the Wildcats, which has long been the expected destination of the nation's top-ranked recruit in the class of 2009. But without one from the Vols, Brown can't be placed on scholarship during the transfer year he'll be forced to sit out this season.

It's a similar situation to the one Lamaison currently faces after Dooley recently turned down the sophomore quarterback's request as well, another example of the case-by-case approach UT has taken with players that have elected to leave since the first-year coach took over in January. Campbell and Stephens each parted ways amicably with the program, and the other issue with Douglas fell somewhere in the middle - with Dooley granting a release but placing restrictions on the destination.

The Brown saga has been filled with drama from the start though, beginning with his surprising absence from the first practice of spring and wrapping up this week with him heading home to Kansas and texting Dooley to ask out of his scholarship. The two did have a conversation over the weekend, but with no talk of releases or his future at that point, they scheduled another well-publicized meeting for Monday or Tuesday to finally bring the matter to a close with just a week left before the start of fall camp.

It never actually materialized, but an outcome has been reached anyway - and the lack of a final face-to-face discussion hardly seems to have been the determining factor.

"I'm not mad at Bryce," Dooley said. "I've got a lot of respect for Bryce as a person, and I have a lot of respect for the family. This is not a personal issue.

"It's a professional issue, and it's not because he didn't come see me. I used the same evaluation process that we used for the other guys, and I have an obligation to protect our organization."

After months of uncertainty, the organization is officially moving on without Brown. And Brown is heading elsewhere without a release.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

WashYourDirtyVols (Inactive) writes:

that a way CDD

GreerVol22 writes:

BB...not man enough to get it done in the SEC...

Psychovol writes:

I am loving this.

andy112382#209793 writes:

Requested via text msg...really?? That's like breaking up with your gf via txt or email, lame.

sampears writes:

hahahahhahah....he is such an idiot.....

mountainbrook writes:

I'm sure that if Bryce Brown had met with him face to face and discussed it like other players have, he would have been granted a release.

voloffaith writes:

Sad that he can't face the coach and talk to man to man. He has taken alot of poor advice and made poor choices. I hope he enjoys Kansas and learns some valuable life lessons about dealing with people.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

This just in! BB going to USC not to K state!

Not really. However, I wouldnt be surprised!

Psychovol writes:

He can get an agent to pay his tuition at USC. Kiffy boy won't mind.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

BB will play for a JUCO school and then transfer with scholarship to USC???

1volfanatic writes:

I hope KNS dosen't mention BB in anymore articles since he is finally gone. It's time to spend 100 percent of our attention on the up coming football season. GO VOLS!!

nocleats writes:

His father said BB and Coach Dooley did talk last Saturday but not about the release, his dad also says that he told Bryce to ask Coach Dooley for the release.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

It was so refreshing to read about young men whom want to be Tennessee Volunteers and then this. But i'm reading it. LOL

TLepage writes:

i don't think this has anything to do with the text.... I think this has more to do with the way Bryce has handled himself since day 1 (back in february).... He has been a drama queen and distraction to the team....

Stepchild_nFL writes:

Maybe by the time he gets released he will get to play in a bowl game. The only problem is that his Kiffy Boy won't be there.

TLepage writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

speaking of Lil' Lane... Jeff fisher offered some insight to Lane's outrageous claims at Pac-10 Media days.... More evidence that Lane is a delusional sociopath..... check it out... pretty funny....

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Future running back for Coffeyville CC in 2010

sambad writes:

Hats off to Dooley. It's amazing that this kid couldn't step up. Probably being coached in every move by Kiffin.

TLepage writes:

what happened to Dave Hooker???? I feel like he hasn't written an article in almost 2 months.... Is he no longer with the KNS????

volnbig11land writes:

Don't miss those ladies, but wonder, where are the trolls?

You know who you are!

swampbuggy writes:

I've stayed away since Kiffin did y'all dirty. I'm back to say I believe you have a good coach now, at least one with integrity and I am glad to see UT shut Bryce Brown down.

These players have to learn there are consequences for signing a contract and then because someone licked the red off their candy they change their mind.

I've wondered if perhaps Kiffin, either directly or indirectly, contacted Brown. Wish it could be proved.

Good luck UT -- for most of the season!

Vol43 writes:

in response to volsrock54:

Man, that was well said.

TommyJack writes:

in response to TLepage:

correct

Vol43 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

What he said........

Bloodrunzorange writes:

Poole is ready to roll! Bryce who?? GBO!!!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to swampbuggy:

Good luck UT -- for most of the season!

Very classy post. Thanks for giving us a break over the last ummm, fiasco. Nice obervation too. Good luck to you most of the season!

FearlessFreep writes:

BB seems like an OK kid, but very immature. He has a lot of growing up to do. And what parent lets a kid get away with texting a request like this?

slipshuck writes:

the brown affair had become a distraction...i'm glad its over..the program has plenty enough distractions as it is...if there was ever a tennessee team that needs to be focused,its this bunch...also,i think poole and oku will carry the load quite well and ut wont miss brown much, if any...

keepitreal4vols writes:

Thank God this is over!!!

volnbig11land writes:

in response to volnbig11land:

thanks for giving me a break on the missed "s".

nocleats writes:

in response to TommyJack:

correct

Any more info on that T J ? I know it appeared he had a thing for Kif and had a real bug up his butt because of Dooley, but not being in Knoxville I havent heard about this?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Poole, the stage is yours.

Bring it, Jawga man.

volnbig11land writes:

in response to nocleats:

Agree. Come on TJ, you opened the door. What gives?

charles57#1378642 writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

Do they not teach the difference between "WHOM" and who in Florida?

Ironcity writes:

in response to TLepage:

I think he is no longer with the KNS

Ironcity writes:

in response to FearlessFreep:

I think he has a communication issue. Similar to Ricky Williams (I hope he doesn't do the ganga like Ricky). He has done 1 interview in 2 years. It snot like the kid is a publicity fanatic. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

G8R8U2 writes:

Oh man is that petty. Brown was a punk the way he bailed on the program; but c'mon Dooley, take the high road... don't try to outpunk him.

So, if Dooley doesn't let him out of the schollie, does that mean UT is actually wasting 2 desperately needed ones on guys who either aren't or don't want to even be at the school? Sounds like foot-shooting to me.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Coach Dooley really handled the situation with class. He was decisive and to the point. There has been nothing secretive about his stance, unlike the Nuke Richardson Pilot incident last fall. Dooley has clearly prepared himself for the big stage. Good job Coach.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to naffy:

He means you.

punkin writes:

"God told me to play at Tennessee". Said it on national TV. BB made his bed, let him lay in it.

gohawks1 writes:

Alright... move along... nothing more to see here.

TNCAT63 writes:

Refusing to release kids after changing coaches and forcing them to pay their own way is pretty vindictive on UT's part. Even Kiffen had more class than this when he went to USC.

Voluvr writes:

Looks like Bryce just ran out of bounds again.

VolGrad writes:

in response to naffy:

Well, that didn't happen.

Awfully sorry to disappoint you.

Psychovol writes:

in response to TNCAT63:

You don't even know how to spell Kiffin and you certainly don't know what you're talking about. This is big business and the kid jerked UT around for several months. He needs to grow up and honor his commitments.

peyton4prez writes:

I like what dooley did. Everyone, including Kiffen, has given BB a pass cause of how well he performed in Kansas HS football. I like CDD more and more every day.

SpartaVol writes:

Sink...swim...or die. I`ll be ALL VOL at 0-12 or 14-0
I believe CDD and staff will make the Vol nation proud sooner then later !
Go BIG ORANGE !

orangecountyvols writes:

Just noticed something.............swampbuggy came aboard and displayed far more class, more integrity, by far than whomever this naffy teeney bopper is.

Thanks swampbuggy, you proved there really are some decent sports fans out there and they aren't always Vol fans.

I believe there are several from each school on here.
Unfortunately, the others aren't as intelligent.

Back to Brown..........very simple. He just didn't have what it takes to get out there with the rest of the team and work for an opportunity to get an education at Tennessee and to play for the Vols. He could have gone far with his reputed talent.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Once again, 5* brainpower at its best.

beachvol1 writes:

Here's the deal...Brown could not take the pounding in the SEC...I don't think it was Tennessee, it was the fact that he thought he was going to come in and just run ramshod over the SEC...well, didn't happen...got that bell rung up and thought I had better go to a passing conference(Big 12) where I can just pass block and get about 15 to 20 carries a game...think about it...not SEC caliber player..mark it down..end of chapter ...get dirty Tauren...