Mike Hamilton says UT football tickets sales down

Tennessee Athletic Director Mike Hamilton said today that Tennessee’s football season ticket sales are down by about 1,000 from this time last year.

UT is hosting a “Meet Your Seats” campaign this week in which fans can see the view from their seats in Neyland Stadium.

During an interview with the News Sentinel, Hamilton said night games, which often require an overnight stay for those traveling to the game, make it tougher to sell out Neyland Stadium. He added that the SEC television contract with ESPN makes it easier for fans to stay home and watch UT and SEC games.

As for conference realignment, he said the SEC is being proactive. At present the situation is like a “high-stakes poker game” with SEC commissioner Mike Slive having near total power to deal with other colleges, Hamilton said.

“He’s got tremendous power,” Hamilton said. “I think he’s one of the most powerful men in college athletics.”

Hamilton said he doesn’t believe the SEC needs to give any concessions to try to lure schools, such as Texas, to the SEC. Texas is expected to join the Pac-10.

He said he feels the NCAA’s punishment of Southern California needed to happen to prove the governing body will deal with violations seriously.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

paradisetaxi writes:

Tennesse fans will not let the team down..We have the best fans in the world !

PennVol writes:

It will probably get even worse before it gets better. Might be a good time to request seat upgrades within your donation range.

scott_m99 writes:

JB...are you suicidal?

JacksonvilleVol writes:

Our ticket sales are down because our team is in a slump caused by poor recruiting from Fulmer and the loss of another coach within the span of a year, Kiffin. We now have Dooley, unproven against the SEC, and a new QB we've never seen play. We are depleted at DT in the league that must always stop the run in order to win. We haven't really won a game in Atlanta in close to a decade, if not more. Our losing streak to UF is now at 5. Ticket prices are on the rise... That's probably the reason there.

pherron writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Your statement is ridiculous....obviously you are not a true VOL Fan!

airship writes:

all of the negative talk about how many games we will lose this season by the media has an impact on ticket sales.

SavTnVol writes:

Are you all that retarded??..Ticket sales are down because the ecomony is down..Look at what it takes to make a Vol game now..add the cost of gas, motel (when needed), eats, ticket cost, etc..it's just like my home owners insurance, everything keeps going up up up...It's not because of the past troubles or the hiring of a new coach, It's the expenses to go to a game...I can pay $40 for PPV and come out so much cheaper than traveling 5 hours to Neyland...yes I will miss the excitment of game day and 105,00, but in these times, I will suffer and save the money...GO DOOLEY>>>GO VOLS

abnermc writes:

in response to scott_m99:

JB...are you suicidal?

Yes he's suicidal... all Fla. fans are. He's dreading the next arrest & sick spell by Oscar Meyer

PureOrange writes:

It is really going to be fun to hear from people like JB when Dooley gets things going at UT, and he will.
I predict that after a couple of games this year, people will fill the stadium. This coaching staff deserves our support. They have had to clean up a lot of scum.

tnbigg writes:

Some people become dizzy and disoriented when riding the world's fastest roller coasters. The last few years have rivaled any super roller coaster anywhere in the world here in Big Orange Country! I am not one of those who gets dizzy or disoriented. By the way...there was a team who won the National Championship last year and looks pretty strong again this year. Their roller coaster ride was dizzying and disorienting but I don't remember many Bammers crying, moaning and complaining like the bunch of belly aching dufi (plural for dufas) wimpy azzed cretans who continuosly pollute these Hallowed halls of Tennessee football Heritage. Go get a penile implant or something so that you can feel more manly. Otherwise...go root for USC. Oh, my bad. They were punished severely for their lying, cheating, thieving recruiting practices. Uh huh. Welcome home to Hollywood Lane. The place where has beens are no longer welcome...and you sir are a has been...or worse...a never has been. GO VOLS!

TommyJack writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

You my man, are a whack job.

bradr114 writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

first off, you are obviously not from the south or you would know by now that college football is king, and every other sport will always be second in fan support, revenues, tv ratings, ect, ect, ect.
second, if you know so much about who a program like TN should hire for their next head coach, then why are you not an AD somewhere???
how about being a good fan and supporting your team instead of bashing every move 'you think' is not the 'right' one?
third point,it is not sad to be a tennessee fan these days. however, it's obviously a sad time to be you. debbie downer.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

ZZ ?

PHAT_VOL writes:

Its always a good time TO BE A VOL ! The football team needs our support now more than ever. The ecomony is some what to blame.
If we were preseason ranked in the top ten would the ticket sales be down?
I find it interesting in this article how the attention switched to Mike Slive. It was Hamilton who hired the Girly Man coach and his dad and gave him that rediculous contract.
The Coached and Players are doing there best so lets do ours and SUCK IT UP and just go!
GO VOLS !!

tsaecesnitsebhtruof writes:

So when will UT expand Neyland again?

bigorange61 writes:

This team hasn't even played a game yet. This coach has not coached his first game at Tennessee. How can anyone say they are terrible?

Why don't we just go to the recruiting rankings, declare a national champion from that, and forego actually playing the game?

orangecountyvols writes:

Predictably, the negative posts flourish with every new article. Mostly, it's the economy. Yes, there are the former Vol fans turned trolls we'll see every day. Aside from that, what does not make people very happy in view of the economy, the team etc, is raising ticket prices and wondering why we are 1,000 tickets short of sales.

Not a big deal to most of you is what I didn't like from last season.........the absence of the game day programs. No, the "yearbook" they were selling for $8.00 and yelling "programs" was not a game day program. It was the same for every game.........sort of like what you would see at some high school games. Small matter to most of you I know, but to me it was always part of game day.

Anyway, as I recall seasons like Majors' 4-7 1977 season, the 0-6 start in 1988 etc, the losses to Vandy 1n 1975 and 2005..........still people backed the Vols and went to the games. I guess the times have changed since if we don't go 12-0 every year people are going to resemble the ones we see here daily bashing the program.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

the sales are down because we suck and no one wants to pay 1500$ for phooey seats when they can get them for the ticket scalpers for 75% off.

Vol86 writes:

With all the conference realignment lets go to the acc and always be at least 9-3 every year. Or lets hope cdd can recruit with the likes of the big boys. Either way go vols.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to tsaecesnitsebhtruof:

So when will UT expand Neyland again?

When it's no longer the biggest stadium in the conference.

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

will say anything to get attention won't ya? That's what most of you joker trolls do is post anything that you know will get a response. You love the attention so you come on KNS and poke the bear with anonymous posts and then hide out and read the replies. Must be some kind of sick fantasy you're playing out. Is it giving you a thrill? I'll bet you live next door to naffy and the two of you compete to see how many responses you get to your assinine posts...among other things...

mtowntim writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Dik.

JCJ1986 writes:

in response to bugman:

I've always wondered this, but how are scaplers able to sell tickets so cheaply?

Georgia_Dave writes:

Just win a few games this year (again 7-5) and the stadium will be full. GBO

Dooleybacker writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Just remember that the football pays for Bruce Pearl and his program.

By the way would you rather have Kiffen here breaking all types of rules and being put on probation.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

With the new TV contracts and being on TV almost every weekend, it makes it much easier to NOT go to a game. Add the fact that UT is in a rebuilding period and an unproven coach and a still sluggish economy and rising ticket prices and seating assignmets changing, that is a sure fire way to lose ticket sales.

But Neyland is as big as it is for a reason! When the ship is righted, it will be full of VOLS again.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

Mike, how's that bi-monthly meeting going with Charlie and Jimmy? Tons of confidence, huh?

Still getting your lunch money taken by the big boys?

Jeremy laughs at you behind your back. Sadly, so do the ACC guys.

crimsonviper writes:

I just don't see why 1000 less tickets difference between this year and last is that big of a deal.
10,000 should be alarming.
I think Dave Hooker should check the KNS paper sale numbers,if he wants something to panic about.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to Vol86:

V-86

You might want to rethink the part about the ACC. The last couple of ACC teams that we played didn't turn out real good for us.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

1,000 fewer tickets is over a quarter of a million dollars, excluding the per cap expenditures for those people at the stadium. It's probably a $425k - $450k difference.

That's enough to pay for the outside consultants who were helping with the NCAA investigators in town week before last. Whoops; I haven't read about that anywhere. Yet. Maybe Dave Hooker should ask about that.

9krpms writes:

I think most are confusing entertaining with terrible. Our team, albeit, I believe is a 4 or 5 win team this year, the real problem lies in entertainment value. Dooley is pretty boring so far. Once he starts winning games, he'll be forgiven for that just as Fulmer was for a long time.

I'm not saying Kiffin's approach was right or wrong, but sure as heck was entertaining. Every week there were a hanful of articles to read about something crazy and exciting going on... UT football is just plain boring now, sorry.

miketn6 writes:

Recession plus high ticket prices plus mediocre on field performance three out of the last four years plus an unproven heach coach equals declining ticket sales. I coughed up the cash for my season tickets, but I did not purchase any away game tickets. The football program is at a crossroads and could do up or down in the next few years. If Dooley has a respectable 2010 season all things considered and improves from there, the attendance slide can be reversed. If we have two or three tough years, attendance could get much worse. There have been a lot of empty seats at Neyland the last few years.

tnaseevol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I know. I would much rather go to the night games. Last year at the first of the season, because we weren't 'prime time players' we got the day games, some really early, and it was hot as hades at those games. Then later on in the season, we had later games and it was cold!!
I don't think they have released the time of games yet, and sometimes it's week to week, but I am hoping we get night games the first of the season, then afternoon games in the fall. I love fall afternoon games.
But anyway, I will be there no matter what just like I was last year and the years before (last 48 years, as a matter of fact)

GBO

VAVol writes:

As a non-season ticket holder, I for one, am sorta glad ticket sales are down because it increases my odds of being able to attend more games.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to Dooleybacker:

Just remember that the football pays for Bruce Pearl and his program.

Men's Basketball pays for itself.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

in response to paradisetaxi:

Tennesse fans will not let the team down..We have the best fans in the world !

LMFAO! Are you referring to the "fans" that complain everytime I stand up and cheer? Memo to our ancient fan base...if you're too old to stand up and cheer and expect everyone around you to sit on their hands the entire game and be as miserable as you are then please stay at home and watch it on TV.

All Vol fans under 70 years old

easleychuck writes:

There is a joke there just waiting to be told. Seinfeld would have a field day with that.

Enconomy and/or negativity could be holding down some season ticket sales. People without jobs or who are uneasy about their job's stability might just not be purchasing season football tickets. Hopefully, some of these folks can purchase single game tickets if they become available.

The 'experts' who go around spewing their junk on how Coach Dooley will fail before he has even coached his first game at the school could be impacting some of the weak-minded fans. The majority of adults who read and comment on this site just sit back and watch the crazies babble on.

Maybe the big TV contract can help offset some of the decline in season ticket revenues.

vol_chaz writes:

too many night games last year put me back in Nashville around 2am. Until we get good again, i'm thinking espn will continue to stick us with 7:45pm time slots.. fun for the game, not for the drive home.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to Alt_news:

Always like what you have to say. It seems that there maybe a trail of mud for Calif. to Ole Miss to Knoxville and back to Calif. I dont think for a moment that the NCAA investigators will by pass Knoxville. GO VOLS !!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to tnbigg:

I like the roller coaster analogy, but got confused with the penile implant suggestion. However, calling the complainers "wimpy azzed cretans" may be a little harsh. As Epimenides said, "all Cretans are liars." I'm sure every school has its share of fair-weather fans (and every school probably has its share of wimpy azzed Cretans). But, I feel certain that UT fans will be out in force this season. And I feel sorry for any team that comes to Neyland Stadium thinking they're not in for a hell of a fight.

VolGrad writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Hopefully, you feel a little better now after that explosion, eh? If not, then you should probably get back on your medication. Seriously.

"The sun also rises."

Go Vols!!!

VolGrad writes:

in response to 9krpms:

Boring in the offseason usually means there are no arrests, no suspensions, no dismissals and no coaches with "hoof in mouth" disease.

...I think I like boring. I know a lot of moms and dads of recruits like that part, too.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

All Vol fans under 70 years old

I hope to be going to UT games when I'm in my 70s, if I'm fortunate enough to live that long. I've always had a lot of admiration for the older fans who brave the large crowds and the steep climb to their seats. They usually are in good spirits, and love their school. Guess my experience with senior citizen fans has been different than yours. Whether they annoy you or not, I hope you will be respectful toward them.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to bigpapa:

What??

newtonrail writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

All Vol fans under 70 years old

I have gone to games since 1956, and am fast approaching that 70year mark. I can't stand and cheer as much as I used to, but I have never fussed at anyone standing in front of me. If they keep standing, I have a problem. This subject keeps coming up from time to time in BB and FB, and I just don't see the issues around me. My seats are not with the rich folks, so we always have a mix of fans. I do think those who've paid a large contribution plus ticket prices deserve consideration. I know some of the other grandfathered ticket holders who've sold their tickets for 10 to 20 years, who should release them, but don't.

Alt_news (Inactive) writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

Interestingly, the NCAA investigators weren't even interviewing football people or general athletic department people on their most recent visit. They were interviewing BASEBALL PEOPLE, for crying out loud!

UT is not in danger of major, major NCAA sanctions. But there is clearly a lack of institutional control when all 3 of your major men's teams are being investigated, and all three have admitted to violations. (Yes, that includes the impotent baseball team.)

Look for sanctions in the way basketball and baseball managers are used. There are also allegations (NOT admitted to by UTAD people) that coaches/recruiters used unrelated, third parties (with benefit of attorney client privledge) to funnel extra benefits to student athletes and recruits. If proved/admitted to, that WOULD BE a major.

For years I didn't think I would ever say this, but I really, really miss Doug Dickey.

clvolfan writes:

Glad Hamilton admitted that a lot of the games requires overnite stays. Gave up my tickets 2 years ago, but hope to go to a few games this year. It's riduculous to have the first few games in the hot afternoon, then later in the year, have games late when it gets cold. I'm sorry but it's all about the money, and not much consideration for the fan. And JB, I still would rather be a VOL fan than USC, they are down the tube and KIffin and Garret with them.

tnbigg writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Well put.

196SVol writes:

Like the stock market when it drops, now might be the time to jump in and get better seats.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to Alt_news:

TKS for the info. I'm with you didn't think I would ever miss Coach Dickey either. He's in good health and plays golf a couple times a week. Why was Coach Rob Delmonico fired? Does anyone know? GO VOLS !

Share your thoughts