Nick Reveiz on Bryce Brown: If he wanted to come back, we would have open arms

Vols bring joy to fans of all ages at Morningside Gardens

If running back Bryce Brown chose to return to Tennessee, senior linebacker Nick Reveiz said he thought the team would welcome him back with open arms.

Brown, who backed up Montario Hardesty last season as a freshman, didn't take part in spring practice under new UT coach Derek Dooley and is expected to transfer. But there has been no closure.

Dooley has never said Brown couldn't return to the team. And there has been no announcement of a transfer.

Reveiz, one of UT's most prominent team leaders, is as uncertain as everyone else about Brown's status.

"I was wondering about that yesterday," Reveiz said Friday. "I tried to call him when I found out he was leaving, but I couldn't get in contact with him.

"I've heard whispers that maybe he would come back. I don't know where his mind is at. But if he wanted to come back, we would have open arms."

Brown would have to give his teammates something in return, according to Reveiz.

"He has missed a lot of practices, a lot of workouts," Reveiz said. "He obviously would have to make that up.

"He would have to work hard. Nothing would be given to him."

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

riversetvol writes:

Well, if it's ok with Nick, it's damn sure Ok with me.

bigdisbig writes:

UT graciously gave Bryce a scholarship and gave him plenty of playing time. I have no idea why he REALLY does not want to be a part of the team but I feel its time to close the book on this kid. Either he wants to be a Volunteer or he doesn't. I am tired of people extending their hand to this ungrateful guy. We have plenty of running backs.....good running backs. He had his chance to be a true Vol but blew it. He is a mirror image of the ungrateful punk who recruited him....Kiffin.

nocleats writes:

THERE> Its the teams opinion that matters and ours means nothing! GBO If the man wants to stay its between him and his teammates then Coach Dooley

OrangePride writes:

The "no news" on this all spring and early summer lead me to believe that BB has at least not made any serious commitments with another school.......although I'm sure several have been trying to get him on board. At some point, someone obviously got into his head. But, if he has rethought this and wants to stay, then it's just as NR says....he will have work his butt off to get back the respect he's lost. I said it in an earlier post and I will say it again, if he leaves, Tennessee will miss him...but he's going to miss Tennessee a lot more! GO VOLS!

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Glad to see that the team would make him earn his way back. Extra sessions, running steps, helping Witch Doctor, just a few things that might smooth things over.

kdaff51 writes:

Problem child. Let him go.

OrangePride writes:

Oh....one last thing. MEMO TO BB: The clock has more than run out on this behavior, so make a decision! In or out....just make it and go with it. EVERYONE is tired of the selfish guessing game.

charles57#1378642 writes:

Close the book on this guy and lets get down to playing football, not mind games!

tnsportsman writes:

Nick is a leader and great leaders weight all the options for the good of the team!

Bryce was ordered by his father to leave school. The father has visions of sugar plums of both sons playing at K State. Arthur, the other son, is in a JUCO in KS and K State has no interest in him according to my friend in the Athletic Department at K State.

What son would not listen to there father, regardless if the advice was wrong or not. Bryce is a good young man and all this Liar Lame and USC stuff about him is just not true!

Bryce, come on back to school young man and honor your commitment to Tennessee!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

what you mean witchy about the secret

tnsportsman writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Bryce, come on back to school young man and honor your commitment to Tennessee!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

(THEIR FATHER) Typo, I hate that, LOL.

VOLinAthensGA writes:

Nick is a class act. I believe Bryce is too. I hope he gets his family stuff resolved in Kansas and he comes back to be a Volunteer next year. He has gotten through the Freshman Blues, the next two years should be a piece of cake. Just imagine how good he could be when he is happy!

GBO!

txsvol#372416 writes:

Was Bryce Brown recruited primarily by CLK, or Lacey Pearl Earps/or her other 'colleagues' in the Tennessee Hostess program? Seems to me that BB dropped out of his high school program to transfer to another school, to be closer to his girlfriend. (Memory is cloudy, and I don't want to bother to research it.) Maybe he has broken up with his Tennessee hostess, and wants to return to his Kansas girlfriend? If the team wants him back, I hope he stays, but does he have a child in Kansas that he wants to be able to see? SAVol

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

You are true he was hurt and he is a kid but it is time for a decision. Be a vol playfootball or dont and just go to school Bryce seams like a solid kid with his head on maybe he needs to think for his self and not listen to other people. But like i said make a decision i think he is a sec running back i myself think he would make a bad mistake leaving he could play for vols and if he plays good will go to the nfl if he transfers he sits out a year and has to wait longer. If he dont make it to nfl he still can graduate from the university of Tennessee,,my opion if he wanted to play with his brother he could of transferd here instead of ka,st. If it was me no way i would leave i would play my azz off and go pro as a junoir .If he stays we could always use 3 good running backs and take turns i think we go 9-3 with or without book it.this is the most important decision of his life butt it needs to be made know... will you stay or will you go team will take you back just work hard like the rest of the team. or byby or most drimatic just go to school and wast some tallent.

tapeworm writes:

What difference does it make at this point what the kid does? Seems like he's no higher than fourth on UT's depth chart, sitting out a year if he transfers to another D1 school, or playing at a lower level school (Ask LaMarcus Coker how that worked out). He probably would have been gone to USC by now were it not for the "Bush Ambush." Now, he's in the ditch. May even have to actually consider getting an education.

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to riversetvol:

Well, if it's ok with Nick, it's damn sure Ok with me.

couldn't have said any better myself

Ringside writes:

I do not know BB or what is going on in his life. I think I will leave this up to the coaches, Bryce and his family. I wish him success no matter what decision he makes. I would like to se him return, but again, I do not know all of the facts and I doubt many do. I'm glad Nick is taking this position. Class statement.

gaj619 writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

Bryce, come on back to school young man and honor your commitment to Tennessee!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Good post, unlike bigpisbag. Oops my hand slipped on the keyboard I meant bigduushbag, dadgummit I did it again. Oh well you guys know what I mean.

Orange_Juiced writes:

If BB is homesick or lovesick or some other sick as some have suggested, then it's gonna take a lot more than CDD or NR to set him straight. I remember being 18 and moving into Reese after a break up with the "love of my life." I remember my old man calling me after Winter Quarter and telling me that he was broke and I had to come home (he was a farmer during the Jimmy Carter years).

Not trying to lay on a sob story because it made me a better man, but when you throw things like that on an 18 year old, it tends to "mess" with his head. It took me 6 years and a myriad of jobs and living all over the country before I was finally able to get my head back on straight and get back to UT where after 8 years I earned my degree.

Sometimes we don't know is going on in a person's life and with the lack of any comment from Bryce, I suspect it's very personal with him. We don't know, things could be very tough for this 18 year old, but it is only he that can answer that and only he that can get through it. It may indeed take him dropping out of school and doing some growing up. We just don't know.

I'm not making excuses for BB and he needs to find the fortitude to face whatever it is that is bothering him so that the rest of the Vol world can move on. All I had to do 30 years ago was face a few people close to me...BB has a program on the national level and a whole lot of anxious fans waiting on an answer.

Come Bryce figure it out.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

you are sure one harsh dude. this kid is an above average student and a great athlete. If he is homesick why hold it against him? If he was gung ho to bolt to another school wouldn't he have already signed on? I hope he comes back, recommits to his teammates, and becomes all SEC and all acedemic SEC.

AllVols writes:

As late as it is in this saga, I think BB will indeed eventually come back to the Vols. There is just too much to lose, in my opinion, if he chooses to leave UT. He has the possibility to shine and develop at UT. However, at the end of the day, he has to decide what is best for him.

beachvol1 writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Totally agree either you are in or you are out, but this guy obviously is trying to get his priorities in order and doesn't need any harassment to figure out if he still even wants to play football...may be feeling pressue within, and who knows, Oregeron or even Kiffin may have got into his head to some degree...he may have found out that life isn't give to you and he may have gotten to like Coach Dooley and the direction he is trying to take the program...I would like to have him back, but he does have to earn his way, as all should...Kiffin was just trying to make him his Trophy(being the number one recruit) and then left him flat..Bryce make the decision that is best for you...

Caspian writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Energy flows where attention goes...

Have you ever watched "What the Bleep Do We Know?"

tennrich1 writes:

in response to AllVols:

Yeah, you pretty much said word for word what I was thinking...its getting late and the time for pontificating about all this is over...he needs to make a decision because its soon going to start cutting muscle....I have family who knows him and went to high school with him...they have an incredible high opinion of him....

flatrock writes:

Can Bryce and his brother play in the offensive
line?

taylorsvolfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I always thought you were a little warped and now I know why. You need to spend time in the Bible and not the secret.

Stepchild_nFL writes:

It's hard to understand. Maybe Kiffin recruited BB like he recruited Bush.

VolFanNC writes:

Don't care. ....

Bryce will not win the starting job from Poole. Poole should have been #2 last year.

Bryce and Poole would be a good combo for those of you who remember CobbWeb Ideally, we could use both of them. Bryce could be good or great, who knows.

I certainly wanted him to try, but at this point unless he gains 100 lbs and plays Left Tackle I don't care.

GVX...please start having stories about OL either on the team or thinking about it as that is our biggest need. No more stories about Brown or he who shall not be mentioned....

rockytopatl writes:

Nick Reveiz is a leader who is open minded and has proven himself as a warrior and a great man. Contrast that with the close-minded haters who tend to populate this site. These are people who don't know any of the individuals involved but are quick to judgment and their judgment is always negative. I'd go to war with Nick Reveiz. I wouldn't even want to go to the concession stand with the haters.

britt writes:

With all the fuss supposedly going on with his dad maybe hes starting to believe that more time around Dooley could be a good thing. The more time he spends around someone with character the more he will develop his own.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Judgmental? You're too nice, Witchy. I was thinking "self-righteous" and laughing manically.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

The new news on BB is........no news. SOS

Slystone writes:

in response to VolFanNC:

Don't care. ....

Agreed, let the next Bryce Brown story be he is either leaving UT or he is staying. None of this in between stuff. Oh, and the Cobb/Webb days were really special. I have a few games on VHS (but no VCR,lol).

bigdisbig writes:

in response to ncvol17:

Homesick? Give me a freaking break man! This society has no idea what a commitment is these days. I grew up in the days when men were men. In this day and time most people try to accommodate everyone. Either you are committed or you ain't. He evidently isn't or he would be practicing with all the other COMMITTED Vols.
Bryce just needs to grow up and be a man...... and so does the lowlife who recruited him....Kiffen.
Call me harsh if you want but I am proud to be a Vol supporter and if you ain't in then you are OUT! GO VOLS!!!

OrangePsyched writes:

I don't even think about BB until someone brings the subject up. Bryce was a 5 star...what was Poole? I would like to have them both along with the others Oku, Neal and Thompson but it won't bother me if he goes. From most of what I hear he is a good young man and good student, so I wish him the best whatever he does. Watched O/W game last night. It was a boring game but I needed the hookup...how many days till UTM?

RaineyVol writes:

We need Bryce Brown!

Mobbdeep4life writes:

in response to Orange_Juiced:

Come Bryce figure it out.

Since I don't know the facts it's hard to speculate. I remember my freshman year at UT I got homesick and hated even hanging out in Clement Hall. I eventually got over my being homesick and enjoyed my time at UT. I can understand if he misses home yet I wonder if it's deeper than that. Being 18 now is tougher than it was when I was 18 I'm sure.
Whatever his decision I just hope it is HIS decision and not that of some outside influence. At this point I'm pulling for a young man to make the right decision for himself even if that means leaving UT.

ibleedorange865 writes:

The book is closed on BB. He's no Brett Favre.

volzcrushm writes:

He knocked up his gf who lives back home now and they are trying to figure things out.

DaddyVol writes:

1. If he's not in school...then
2. He cannot be taking classes...which means
3. He cannot be considered a student athlete at
the University of Tennessee

Why is this so difficult for some people?

DannyVol writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

It's hard to understand. Maybe Kiffin recruited BB like he recruited Bush.

Ding-ding-ding!!! Folks, we have a winner!

DannyVol writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

This is what we do know: Brown wasn't at spring practice and isn't communicating with the team. If he comes back, that's obviously up to the team. But as far as "things going on in his private life"...who doesn't have that - even at his age? No, I don't know what's "going on" with him, but let's put it in perspective; there are plenty of people who have tragic situations in their lives but are forced to carry on because they have no other option. Imagine the thousands of poor folks who have to go to work when their kid is terminally ill in a hospital. That's real and happens everyday. I won't speculate on his situation, but unless he can top that, he should either get himself back to the team or inform them of his decision to leave. Either way, unless he's even better than we think he is, he's putting some big question marks next to his name in the minds of NFL scouts.

10volunteers98 writes:

ONE THING FOR SURE------HE AIN`T GONNA TRANSFERE TO SOUTHERN CAL!IF HE WANTS TO COME BACK,HE`D BETTER HURRY AND LET IT BE KNOWN.WE`RE LOADED AT RUNNING BACK.GOOD BACKS WHO WANT TO BE VOLS.I`M GETTING SORT OF BURNED OUT WITH BRYCE BROWN.WONDER HOW MANY TIMES LAME KITTEN WAS IN CONTACT WITH HIM BEFORE CAL HAD THE BOOM LOWERED ON THEM?!GO,VOLS!!!

CRFVols writes:

Well.....whatever. I'm over the BB issue. But if he decides to come back, why not give him a chance to earn his spot back.......we give criminals and druggies second chances.....why not a guy who can't make up his mind? That's no crime.

Just sayin.

tnbigg writes:

I hope he comes back. All the nega-nanny's would sing a different tune if he returned and rushed for 2,000 yards. He is young and we certainly don't know what's going on inside his head. One thing is for sure. He is one great football player. Nick Reveiz hit the nail right on the head. He should be welcomed back with the expectation that he works like crazy to make up for the down time if he so chooses to return. I have my doubts about it...but would certainly welcome him enthusiastically.

volfreak#210492 writes:

Who is this "Doley" character???

"Doley said earlier that Brown's return would be contingent on his teammates accepting him."

Editors, please......

Ironcity writes:

in response to VolnotHAMILTONfan:

All the experts are wrong. All the people who watched Brown practice are wrong but you who have watched him in a few games on TV know he is average. I will stick with the experts and the players who would like him back.

iowavol writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

(THEIR FATHER) Typo, I hate that, LOL.

don't forget WEIGH. Other than the two typos and the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, this was a good post.

SEC1 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Southland writes:

Stop the stories that are not stories on Brown. He is gone. He is being courted by all sorts of programs. He loves the attention. He will not be at UT. He does not want to be here so move on and good luck in the future. He hasnt caused any problems. He like every other kid needs to grow up and I am sure he did some of that being away from home. Now go home and have a good life. Please dont write any more stories about him.