Lincoln wants to be Navy SEAL after UT career

Vols bring joy to fans of all ages at Morningside Gardens

There is a perception that college athletes might be so absorbed in their jock world they don't know what's going on in the bigger one outside.

Not so Daniel Lincoln.

Tennessee's kicker said during a community service visit Friday his priority is rising above a frustrating junior year and getting back to the mountain top as a senior.

But after football, Lincoln is determined to take on one of the hardest jobs in the world.

"I want to be a Navy SEAL,'' he said. "I've already started training for it.''

The SEAL program is the Navy's special-warfare unit. Its training is reputed to be among the most demanding in the world.

SEALs, in brief, handle the dirtiest jobs in the most dangerous circumstances. A lot of thought and prayer led Lincoln to such a commitment.

"With the current state of the world and our country right now,'' he said, "it needs people that are very motivated.

"People that have the talents to fight and defend it, to get the job done and get it done right. I know that's what I want to do.''

He got college done right, finishing a degree in international business in December. He plays his senior year as a grad student.

Law school appealed, but then the grandson of a decorated World War II machine-gunner determined there was a better way he could maximize his talents.

"I want to make a difference,'' he said.

"And I don't want to look back 20, 30 years from now and think, 'You could have made a bigger difference,' whether it be in your community or in your country or - I know it's a huge picture and people might think it's kind of dreamy - but the world.''

There is a long road of training ahead before one becomes a member of an elite unit that might find itself in Iraq, Afghanistan or taking out Somali pirates.

"I've got a lot of talents and skills that if I'm not involved in athletics, that's the best way they can be used,'' Lincoln said.

For one more football season, Lincoln is still very much involved in athletics.

Special forces will have to wait on special teams.

After a Freshman All-America season in 2007, Lincoln has struggled, with consistency as a sophomore and an injury as a junior.

He's pain-free and ready to take on all challengers, including freshman Michael Palardy.

"It doesn't matter who they bring in,'' he said, "I'm competing against myself. Let's get it on.''

Lincoln has high hopes for the special teams in 2010. Judging from spring practice, he said Derek Dooley's regime is more committed to the kicking game than Lane Kiffin's was.

"Special teams, in this past year, hasn't been a huge priority,'' Lincoln said. "It's been obvious from our performance in the games.''

It is a priority for Dooley. A former special-teams coordinator for Nick Saban, Dooley has a hand in every phase of the kicking game.

Assistant coach Eric Russell, most recently of Texas Tech, is the special teams coordinator. Lincoln said Dooley attends every meeting.

"Listening to what the coaches say and then looking at their track record, they can show you on film where it worked,'' Lincoln said.

"I can hear it from the other players listening around the room, they're buying in to the techniques.''

Lincoln just wants to make a difference.

First, in Tennessee's season. Then, in a troubled world.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tapeworm writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

I have no idea what you're trying to communicate with your idiotic post, but in spite of whatever your personal values are, you need to respect and admire those of Daniel Lincoln. Perhaps you need to check out Pat Tillman on the web. Might give you some much needed perspective and appreciation.

voloffaith writes:

Glad to have him on our side regardless of athletic events! Also happy to hear injury free. Looked very promising after Freshman year then ouch the bottom dropped out. Glad to see fighting spirit to work like heck to get better and not transfer like some of our disgruntled ones did. That phraseology was for the Fulmer bashers who think like crazy to spin a nice situation into a not so pretty one. So go Daniel serve the VOLS then hopefully you will qualify to protect us around the world.

Skullz_VOL writes:

Leave it to a kicker to KICK SOME TAIL! Go DL! I support you 100%!! GO NAVY!! VQ-2 86-90

dqnapier#225584 writes:

Good for Danield Lincoln for having a big dream. Sounds like he is aiming for perfection and even if he falls short he will hit excellence. For a better understanding of what Lincoln will have to endure to become a SEAL read Marcus Luttrell's Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10."

tapeworm writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

My panties are where they've always been - no need to pull them anywhere. And I suspect that Daniel Lincoln fully understands the difference between being a kicker at UT and becoming a Navy Seal. A difference you obviously don't get. And, frankly, it's not something I can LOL about.

tn_rockytop writes:

good for you lincoln but if palardy is as good as they say then see ya. wont ever forget the bama game maybe you can make it up one day but got say im routing for palardy sorry

bugman (Inactive) writes:

her comes all the "military experts" read this, read that, my great great grand daddies sisters brother was a navy seal with 5 medal of honors blah blah blah. the fact is the kid has already hurt his legs. being a seal require top notch feet and his are already messed up. the likely scenario is he will wash out for physical reasons, not mental. then he'll be pushing pencils for 4 years of his life wishing he'd made millions in the nfl. how would want to volunteer for the obama military? I think not.

tnsportsman writes:

Daniel glad you are healthy man, game on for kicker against Palardy. Field Goals MUST BE MADE against Alabubba and other SEC Teams for the win!

Training with the Navy Seals, most will DOR (Drop On Request) in each class. I admire your desire to serve after football, good luck. There is no second place in the Navy Seals!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

Bogus writes:

Strange, while I did like your article, would just like to point out that the Navy SEALs and Special Forces are two completely seperate entities in different branches. And never call Special Forces operators "Green Berets". They don't like to be called a hat.

Lincoln, if this is your dream, go after it. The number one thing to remember is to never quit, no matter how bad it gets. Mike Monsoor, the last recipient of the Medal of Honor, was a SEAL. He didn't pass BUD's his first try, but he never quit and made it his second go-around.

bluetick writes:

Good Luck! At least have a back up to becoming a Navy Seal.

orangecountyvols writes:

You can always count on the trolls to make themselves present even when there is an article such as this.

And I'll say this for one of the trolls in particular, I have a lot more confidence in Lincoln making it as a Navy Seal than somebody like you. Maybe that's why some of the ones we are always seeing here ramble on as they do. They fall so short of what others can achieve and...........it shows.

Give it your best shot Lincoln and whatever you do you'll be fine.

dqnapier#225584 writes:

in response to bugman:

Bugman I never claimed to be an expert you mental midget. I simply recommended a book for people to check out if they wanted to learn more about the SEALS.

Just because you have no drive or ambition does not give you the right to discourage others from realizing their dreams.

Bogus writes:

in response to dqnapier#225584:

Amen.

Caspian writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Amen, tape. I'm with you. Nothing to LOL about. Lincoln just went up about 5 notches in respect in my eyes. I think JBV is the one that got his panties twisted up just thinking about such a thing as the commitment required to pursue a SEAL career.

Sempervols writes:

RockyTopVolFan writes:

The SEALS are looking for a few good men, I hope Daniel Lincoln is one for them.
Good Luck. GO VOLS!

BillsBrother writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

With your attitude I am confident you would have been a day 1 wash out. With any great goal it is of utmost importance to have the desire to succeed. Since you do not have that desire, your cracks on Lincoln make you appear quite lame.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

And he thouht his JR year was tough....

TommyJack writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Were you born an a-hole, or are you a self made man?

britt writes:

Anybody who chooses to serve in any part of our military deserves respect. Good luck and be safe whatever you choose

FWBVol writes:

One of the big problems with some of the comments on this story is people seem to think Lincoln's athletic career started the day he stepped on the UT campus as a kicker.

Most college kickers were pretty good all-around athletes in high school. Lincoln was a three-year starter at linebacker and safety and lettered in track, weightlifting and baseball.

The guy is listed at 6-foot, 210 pounds, which is a pretty good size athlete.

The SEALS depend on intelligence as well as physical strength and anyone that completes an international business degree in less than four years should be able handle the mental aspects of the SEAL training.

I think it's refreshing that Daniel has his focus on the bigger picture. Here's a kid that could go into the business world and make mega bucks, but he has decided to follow a true path of public service that might require him giving his life as the ultimate sacrifice.

Daniel Lincoln embodies the spirit of the men that were the first Tennessee Volunteers.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Lincoln will do well, he seems to have a lot of heart. Congratulations to the Navy for winning this recruiting battle. I think you're getting a good one.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to bugman:

Thankfully, people like Daniel Lincoln don't have your attitude. Also, I (like most Marines I know) was very proud to serve under President Bush and I'm very proud to serve under President Obama. But, I'm sure that's something you would never understand.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

"I want'a be a 'Reacon Ranger'".
"I want'a live a life of danger'"
"OOHRAH"
"When I kill, all I feel is MARINE CORPS....OOOHRAH"

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Look "dude" some things are not a joke or "lol." You know not the measure or mental capacity of this man and for you to joke about something as serious as young Mr. Lincoln deciding to risk his life for his country...well it does show the measure of you. Some things are sacred and making a commitment to the armed services is one of them. I just hope that this "kicker" finds the opportunity to meet you face to face in about 4 years. I guarantee that you won't laugh at him then.

OrangePsyched writes:

I respect what Lincoln wants to do...more power to him. I do think that Palardy will be the kicker and probably punter for this team. I sure hope that he is as good as advertised. The big thing that I gleaned from this article was Dooley's desire to have special teams that are truly special. Lincoln said there wasn't nearly as much attention to it last year and it cost us. Much of football is about winning the field position war and CDD sounds determined to win that battle on Saturdays. ROCKY TOP!

golfballs03 writes:

That's fantastic. Best of luck to him!

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to Orange_Juiced:

...and one more thing. If you can't comment in adultlike demeanor when the situation calls for it, then you need to go back to the teen social sites. We all like to have fun and discuss and even argue about all things Vol...but there are some things that deserve respect and honor. Hell...even SECFB had a respectful comment about Mr. Lincoln, and he loves to come to KNS to antagonize all of us Vols. But the one thing we know about SECFB is he does it as a rival...all in good fun. Laughing at one of your own (that is if you are a Vol fan) that is making a serious commitment in his life...well it's just so 5th grade. You really need to grow a little more son if you want to gain any respect on these boards. GBO.

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to Agent_Orange:

Nope........just kick him in the arm pit!

thevoice writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

According to the Navy Seals training book, it's 50 meters under water.

DannyVol writes:

in response to Bogus:

Special Operations forces exist in all four branches, cross train, and even fight side-by-side in some circumstances. In any given month you may find Rangers at Little Creek amphib base or SEALs at Quantico etc.

kabulvol writes:

I commend Lincoln for wanting to serve. However, as a public figure, he might have been better off just saying something like, "I'd like to serve in the military after my playing days".

If this is his life's dream then I say go for it. I just hope it isn't something he decides to do on a whim. You gotta really want it to make it through any of the military's special operator courses. I wish him luck and hope he makes it.

DannyVol writes:

in response to Sempervols:

What Lincoln is doing is showing grade-A class and honor, no doubt. Wish more kids believed in their country enough to make a sacrifice.

Actually, while all military personell are volunteers, at Navy boot camp there are several SEALs who, along with others like EOD, run the swim training and recruit that way. They can spot potential Spec. Ops recruits in about five minutes and do recruit fairly heavily that way. Usually, about 2 per 60-man boot company and about 20 per 500-man battalion are invited. Of that, on average only one or two graduate from BUDS.

DannyVol writes:

in response to kabulvol:

I agree. It's not that he shouldn't set goals or can't do it, but it takes desire, ability, AND luck. Even the most gifted and determined men at the very top of their BUDS class may not make it because they often get injured in the very last week. That said, I hope he makes it and I hope it inspires more young men to serve their country in some capacity.

CRFVols writes:

Good luck Daniel. Once he puts those words into actions he will have commanded more respect than these pitiful posters who are posting negative comments towards his decision. I wish him the best of luck and hope he achieves that goal. I'd love to run into him some day.

I'm in the military, I'm not a SEAL....but have worked right along side them doing what they do, as they have also accompanied me in doing what I do. There's no need to boast what I do. That being said, these inaccurate posts are hillarious. lol

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to FWBVol:

The guy is listed at 6-foot, 210 pounds, which is a pretty good size athlete.

One of the best posts I have ever seen here...EVER!!

Thanks, FWBVol. And thanks Daniel Lincoln for seeing the bigger picture and desiring to make a difference. As you well know, what someone else says to you or about you matters not one whit. It's what's inside YOU that makes a difference. And I do believe you have what it takes. You may not make it as a SEAL, but you'll put your mind and talents to use for the good of the rest of us in some form or fashion.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

hueypilot writes:

Can't understand why anyone would belittle a man for stating such a noble goal. After all, this is the website of the Tennessee VOLUNTEERS. Setting goals high is admirable. Go for it Daniel and I hope you have a great senior year.

Also good to know the HC is interested in special teams. I think The General said its there that the breaks are made.

Fulton_Vol writes:

I was at yesterday's event with Nick, Austin and Daniel; and was lucky enough to spend about 20 or so minutes talking to Daniel. When the trio of players walked in to the room I recognized Nick and compared the other two guys to him, Daniel is bigger. He is also in great shape because until they were introduced I was trying to place them and figure out what position they played. Daniel does look like a typical kicker. He is lean and fit. I found him to be a smart and respectful young man as well. By last fall he had finished his undergrad degree except for a couple class and began taking grad courses. So a TRUE JUNIOR in his first semester was basically finished with his degree. He will graduate from UT in May of 2011 with a Masters Degree so in four years this young man obtained the grades to complete two degrees. The young man is top notched in the brain department too. I wished him well on his upcoming season and shook his hand as they left. If I had known his plan to serve our country I would have wish him well in that endeavor and said thank you to boot.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Those people have no valid association with the University of Tennessee, or the concept of volunteer.

jasonjayut writes:

in response to FWBVol:

The guy is listed at 6-foot, 210 pounds, which is a pretty good size athlete.

I seem to recall that Daniel Lincoln begged the former coaching staff to let him play linebacker. He must have that aggressive mindset that bodes well for this future endeavor . Good luck Daniel.

Ringside writes:

Good luck Mr. Lincoln on your endeavors.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to bugman:

1. Highest respect for Lincoln who desires to serve our country despite ungrateful yokels like you.

2. There is no Obama military in this nation. There is a United States Military consisting of various branches of service. It's the United States Military because it's funded my US taxpayers so it is OUR military. Further it preexisted Obama. Bigots can't see that.

3. Thank goodness our personnel and Lincoln know number 2 or we wouldn't have a military if people's heads were misfitted as yours.

4. That darn mess in Iraq and Afhganistan wasn't Obama's making, it's a Bush legacy but Bushites like you want it to be perceived otherwise. Same with the economic mess. But bigots can't see that.

5. Lincoln, smart, smart, smart of you to start training now, way ahead of time. I think you learned from the UT football program the need to be prepared and not just seasonally. Hopefully, more kids will learn from your example and practice it in life. It takes a big man to face up to his failures, pull up his pants, tighten his shoelaces and say, "Alright, let's try this again so I kick some booooty!" The best of luck to you and may only good things happen for you bigots or no bigots.

volll1 writes:

Whats wrong with a young man wanting to defend this nation. You liberal commies need to understand that without the brave men and woman willing to give the ultimate price, we wouldn't be the home of the free. Good luck young man, and thank you all that served this great nation.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Regarding your first paragraph above: The answer is that unfortunately there are so-called fans on this list who should be drowned in a 150 gallon vat of goat urine. The men and women who elect to serve don't need this type of undermining morale.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

why do you football-uneducated fools keep harping on missing the kick against alabama? the last two kicks couldn't have been made by any nfl kicker. if you had seen the game you would have known the o-line got destroyed with penetration thus the two blocks. so lay off the kickers and save your comments for the o-line coach.

Sempervols writes:

in response to DannyVol:

I understand there are people who are asked to try out for certain jobs, but you still must volunteer. But I understand your point.

My whole point to the posting was that he is choosing to go for something larger than himself, questionably the most honorable thing you can do with your life. It saddens me to see people try to twist that around for their own purposes.

Sempervols writes:

in response to Sempervols:

When I posted this I was a bit sauced, wasn't trying to attack anyone. My point being that service of any type is honorable, and it is a sad day when people especially those who have no idea what they are talking about try to demean that.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to tn_rockytop:

Now if you know anything about UT football by now you should know the boy was injured in the Bama game and really shouldnt have been put in that position. But i'm thinking the same level of commitment it takes to be a Navy SEAL was the same level he was showing in that game. He just couldnt go!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to CadmiumOchre:

Bigots?????????? Liberal Democrat talking points need to go on another website and another discussion....But good luck finding one of those...Maybe, just maybe YOU are the bigot!!!!!