Manning: Give Dooley time

UT legend likes what new coach has to say

Peyton Manning meets with Marianela D'Aprile on Monday, June 21, 2010 at the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center. D'Aprile is the is the 2010 recipient of the Peyton Manning Scholarship.

Peyton Manning on Coach Derek Dooley

A disappointing end to what was painfully close to being a perfect season hasn't changed Peyton Manning's approach to the off-season.

"I really think whether you win a Super Bowl or lose a Super Bowl, or maybe don't even make it, I think it's your job to work even harder than you did the year before to be a better player," the former Tennessee quarterback said Monday after awarding Marianela D'Aprile with the 13th annual Peyton Manning Scholarship.

The former Vol knows both emotions associated with winning and losing a Super Bowl. He enjoyed the Indianapolis Colts' NFL championship in 2007, but still laments the costly interception that undermined the Colts' bid to win another Super Bowl this past February.

"If you're celebrating too much because you just won or you're sulking too much because you just lost, that's not fair to the next players and the next coaches," he said.

Manning was close to celebrating the ultimate season. His Colts nearly completed a perfect regular season before deciding to rest their starters, then nearly won their second championship in four seasons before falling short to the New Orleans Saints.

Manning, who is in his 13th season, isn't thinking about 2009. He's confident that the Colts can be better in 2010, citing that Indianapolis' youth inspires him and his teammates.

"It kind of makes the older players like me feel young. Of course, they call me Mr. Manning, which I'm not comfortable with," Manning said.

Some of those "older players" will play key roles this fall. Safety Bob Sanders and receiver Anthony Gonzalez return. Both were injured last season.

"I kind of look at that like two free agents that we signed," Manning said, always the optimist.

The Colts can wait for awhile. For now, Manning wants to re-educate himself with a program that has changed so much.

"I can't relate to the coaching changes," Manning said of UT, which has had three head coaches in three seasons. "That's tough.

"One thing I've had since I've been in football is great continuity."

Manning, who played at UT 1994-97, had one head coach in college: Phillip Fulmer. He has had only three coaches in the NFL.

Jim Mora coached Manning for four seasons. Tony Dungy ran the show 2002-08. Dungy's understudy, Jim Caldwell, took over last season.

Call Manning a creature of habit. He loves consistency.

He said it takes at least two years to learn one system - much less two, as the Vols will have to do again.

Still, he's behind UT head coach Derek Dooley, and looks forward to visiting with him this week.

"So far I've enjoyed what Coach Dooley has had to say and his philosophy on things," Manning said. "Certainly, everybody's got to give him time to establish himself and establish his principles. The things that he and I have talked about in his way of doing things, it makes a lot of sense.

"I think Coach Dooley will get us going in the right direction.''

Many former Vols, however, had the same thoughts about former UT coach Lane Kiffin a year ago. That was long before Kiffin bolted from Knoxville to be the head coach at Southern California.

"I think everybody associated with the University was a little stung," Manning said of Kiffin's departure. "I've always seen the University of Tennessee as a destination job. It's not a transition job.

"This is where you come to retire - or until maybe they tell you it's time to move on. It's not a place where you come to make the next step. I think everybody's pride was hurt a little bit."

Manning won't let bruised Vol pride affect him this week.

He's enjoying the off-season. Working out with current Vols, as he's done summer after summer since he finished his college career.

"This is something I look forward to every single year," he said. "You talk about feeling young again? That's a lot of fun for me. I don't take that for granted."

Related Stories

CHITOWNVOL writes:

i was listening to John and Jay on sirius xm this morn. they r out of nashville. they guy Jay (some Michigan guy, not sure who he really was back in the day)gave TN 3 wins next year. corrected himself and changed it to maybe 3 and a half wins. i can't tell if i'm blissfully retarded or this guy is. i looked at the schedule and i am seeing 6 and 6 at worst. i can't wait for this season to come and i hope we prove some people wrong. just the name tn will give us 3 wins...

wazzya69vol writes:

As always, a class act.

ETownVol writes:

Thanks for being such a great ambassador for our program, Peyton. Your time playing and supporting the Volunteer tradition is deeply appreciated.

oskie_score writes:

In an earlier article Al Wilson had expressed that he liked what he was hearing and seeing from CDD. Now Peyton Manning states his support, although having limited knowledge of CDD both Al and Peyton are men of true grit and character. Those who have expressed their doubt or hesitation regarding CDD reserve that right but too should heed the advice and words from two all-time great leaders in the history of Tennessee football.

britt writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

Im with you on at least 6 wins and maybe up to 9 but Im gonna have to disagree with the "the name Tennessee will give us 3 wins" part. Thats the attitude that we took against wyoming 2 years ago and paid for it

VolsINFan writes:

Peyton Manning continually impresses me with his actions and words. This man has forgotten more about football and the way it should be played than the vast majority of so-called "experts" in the media could possibly dream of knowing. If Manning says it, that is good enough for me-even though I have already been impressed with Coach Dooley.

Go Vols!

PureOrange writes:

Recruiting Peyton was one of the best things we ever did. He is class, and he gives Tennessee lots of positive publicity.

Great guy - great talent - great for UT.

99gator writes:

manning's 13th season.

damn, i feel old.

tsaecesnitsebhtruof writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Great guy - great talent - great for UT.

I agree. If only he had beaten Danny Wuerffel and UF or won the Heisman or won a National Title. But he is a great guy.

allntl1#565211 writes:

Peyton, start thinking about a coaching job here.
QB coach eventually OC and maybe HC in 10 to 15 years or sooner.
Not trying to run off Dooley

samjrr writes:

It would not surprise me if we only won 3 or 4 ball games next year. When is the last time we've had a new offensive line, a new quarterback, a new head coach, a new running back, & a new defensive coordinator all in the same year? I hope we win them all. Dooley has a tough task ahead of him. He is good for the Vols & I support him even if it takes a few years to start playing for championships.

Bogus writes:

in response to tsaecesnitsebhtruof:

And if only Danny Wuerffel had won a Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP, and a record number of NFL MVP awards. What does he do now, sell insurance?

Try again troll. Your attempts at put-downs only make us laugh.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

Yeah. I caught that this morning too. I thought that was absurd, and from Bill's resonse, I wasn't the only one. He generally has really good ideas on the show, but he lost all sorts of credibility with that one.

He did say something that made me salivate like a lion staring down a zebra: what if in 4 or 5 years, Dooley got us to the national championship game to play none other than Lane Kiffin and the USC Trojans in New Orleans. It's completely hypothetical, but I wouldn't be surprised if every fanbase in the SEC turned out for that one.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

all those aholes on those channels, including Rivals love to punch Tenn when their down. I agree 6 at worst and I think with some QB play, more than that.

They can't keep us down forever! We will be back

UTByrd writes:

The reason Tyler Bray came to Knoxville was Peyton, he's Tyler's hero. Having PM to learn from this summer is going to be all TB needs to earn playing time next season. I predict great things from Tyler. After all, he has patterned every facet of his game after THE MANning.
Go VOLS!!!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to 99gator:

manning's 13th season.

damn, i feel old.

yeah, me too....I remembered when Peyton and Brandonn signed, and my boss (a UK fan) told me we had one helluva haul....

long time back, now. I miss those days and (most) of the guys I worked with.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

I'd say don't get your feelings hurt with predictions; here is what these guys see:
-new coaches
-new system
-no established O line
-no depth on either side of the ball
-new QB, and unless it's Bray probably won't bea good QB
-loss of top 2 running backs
-big holes at LB
-big hoes in secondary
-questionable kicking game

Now, we just might have more talent than we have yet seen, but to outsiders and pundits, the above is what they see.

Next post, my eval.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

My eval:
CDD MUST find a way to get the team to have the 'us vs the world' attitude that Kiffin got them into, but of course without Lane's bluster.

On offense, I see Tyler Bray as our best option. I tin;k he is too young to be scared, and he has a great arm. Simms appears to rattle easily.

Tauren Poole: the kid is so hungry for success, he will create the yards. Look for a freshman to push Oku, and we will see how Toney Williams fits in.

As for the O-line: they will play decently by year's end. We have a chance to have a DOMINANT set of receivers, beginning with the tight end.

On defense, the line needs depth or we are toast. Scheme-wise, we will be fun.

Overall, we may surprise some people by playing some teams hard.

It really just boils down to getting on offense that can execute basic plays. They will have some size, some speed, and some ability, but they must buy in.

coalvol writes:

in response to tsaecesnitsebhtruof:

Shame no Florida QB has had the same success Manning has had in the NFL.....I'm sure he is really regretting not beating the Gators ever time he puts on his Super Bowl ring.

westennvol writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

I certainly hope you are right and not that idiot. BTW..he must have really been describing Michigan football not UT. Haven't they just won like 7 games total in the last two seasons, maybe eight...lotta room to talk for that moron...

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

You have to laugh at the nimrods who set up the false time table projections of how fast Dooley has to tuyrn the program around. Before you can understand what needs to be done, you have to understand how our program got in this shape and how long it took Fulmer to take it to where it is right now. This did not happen overnight nor will the program be right-sided overnight.

gnm53108 writes:

"I think Coach Dooley will get us going in the right direction.''

Peyton Manning

Thanks.

vol88 writes:

in response to 99gator:

manning's 13th season.

damn, i feel old.

I agree with you. There's a first time for everything. :-)

gnm53108 writes:

in response to vol88:

I agree with you. There's a first time for everything. :-)

Thats the problem with 99.

I find myself aggreeing with him alot....just aint right.

Slystone writes:

in response to always_vol:

-new coaches
-new system
-no established O line
-no depth on either side of the ball
-new QB, and unless it's Bray probably won't bea good QB
-loss of top 2 running backs
-big holes at LB
-big hoes in secondary
-questionable kicking game

Next post, my eval.

-big hoes in secondary

Now that would concern me also,lol.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to samjrr:

Don't forget what CDD was able to do in his first year at LA Tech, a worse team than this UT team, and he took them to a bowl game.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to samjrr:

And I don't think many people realize how a big a chip this team has on its shoulder. This attitude is going to be translated into fielding what will result in an overachieving team. They're going to break and shatter some people and refuse to pick up the pieces no matter how much the mommies insist they clean up the mess they made. Only three wins? Uh-uh. How many? Don't know bu I won't be surprised if we get as many as 9 an maybe 10. The lack of respect even by its own fan base, and especially opponents has this team pizzed off big time. You just wait and see. By the prickling of my thumbs, something orange, white, and nasty comes.

Ayres_Hall writes:

What is not to like about the Coach Dooley and the future of Tennessee football? It's all good!

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to 92Vol:

Diplomacy has its place.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to ETownVol:

Totally agree; No doubt best NFL player to come out of UT..Interesting fact; Vols are #5 of all schools in players drafted

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

It will be interesting to see what Cheyney does with the passing game; We have decent returning WR's and 4 outstanding freshman;3 of which are 6'3 plus..With the talent of Hunter and Rodgers it will be hard to keep them off the field

bUTchVFL writes:

In Manning we trust! Let's not forget that two of Fulmer's last four seasons were losing ones. This isn't all on Kiffin, although his leaving didn't help. We need to give Dooley time to turn the program around. GBO!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Very interesting indeed.We have to take advantage of the boatload of tallent we have at wr.

Coach Cutcliffe would love this team.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to 92Vol:

He may have called him something, just off the record.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

Fulmer also averaged 7 wins 5 losses during the worst 4 years in his career. He also won the SEC EAST the year before he was fired. There was alot of talent on the team last year and I think Fulmer wouldve done better than Kiffin and the program would be in much better shape right now. As far as Dooley getting time. Look at what Nutt did at Ole Miss his first year. Also look at the expectations of the UT fan base. 9 wins isnt enough. Maybe for the next 2 years, but by year 3 expectations will be the same as they were for Fulmer. SEC titles and National titles or its a disappointment. And Fulmer had a NT and coached for his Alma Mater, but still was fired. Dooley wont be given as much rope, so if he doesnt get it done by year 3 his seat will be hot.

KiwiLuvsUT writes:

in response to CHITOWNVOL:

The name gives us Vandy,Kentucky and Georgia.Here is the games I see us Winning for sure:
Tennessee-Martin
UAB
Georgia(OVERRATED will be shouted at this game)
South Carolina
Florida
And THEM(AKA AlaBubba)!
So 7 wins... ATLEAST!

Colliervol writes:

in response to always_vol:

My eval:

On defense, the line needs depth or we are toast. Scheme-wise, we will be fun.

Overall, we may surprise some people by playing some teams hard.

It really boils down to how healthy this team stays. First line players aren't bad but, if we get any injuries at all, look out. Especially in the lines. If we get a rash of injuries, 6 and 6 will be tough to attain.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Slystone:

-big hoes in secondary

Now that would concern me also,lol.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Colliervol:

yeah, but as sly pointed out, those big hoes in the secondary

oh my goodness

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

sly, I was laffing a good 10-15 minutes....

such a mental picture.

SEC1 writes:

Gators land 4* LB RYAN SHAZIER

murrayvol writes:

in response to 99gator:

manning's 13th season.

damn, i feel old.

Stop grousing and get that attitude transplant 99.

What are you anyway....33 or so??

murrayvol writes:

in response to always_vol:

-new coaches
-new system
-no established O line
-no depth on either side of the ball
-new QB, and unless it's Bray probably won't bea good QB
-loss of top 2 running backs
-big holes at LB
-big hoes in secondary
-questionable kicking game

Next post, my eval.

I worry most about those big "hoes" in the secondary.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to SEC1:

Gators land 4* LB RYAN SHAZIER

Then go have a Sangria and congratulate other gaiturds on your own post-site.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Hope we see an article/pics on that Manning/Dooley 1st meeting mentioned here.

volguy#211935 writes:

They just don't get better than Peyton Manning. Love that guy. Well, in a football, university-related sort of way.

volzinanyyear writes:

in response to SEC1:

Gators land 4* LB RYAN SHAZIER

Let me do the same thing you trolls do to UT fans when we sign anybody under a 5 star... The sky is falling the sky is falling... he is only a 4 star.... Again UT fans reiterate WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobbarbilly writes:

GIT 'ER DONE PEYTON

1965Vol writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Well son, don't get your butt caught in the revolving door on your way out.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to 99gator:

manning's 13th season.

damn, i feel old.

You and me both 99
Remember when he committed to Vols along with Brandon Stewart!!!
TXVOLSFAN