Derek Dooley: 'Mom has violated my media policies'

Barbara Dooley

Barbara Dooley

New Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley is faced with a unique challenge in his first season, and it's not just because the Vols are low on talent.

He's probably the first child of an SEC football coaching legend to become an SEC head coach. His father, Vince, won six SEC titles and the 1980 national championship at Georgia from 1964-88.

And then there's Derek's larger-than-life mother, Barbara, who never met a microphone or a stranger she didn't like.

"My mom showed up at the Big Orange Caravan in Atlanta wearing an orange boa wrapped around her," Derek said recently with a laugh. "I had to remind her that the event was not about her.

"She has developed a bit of an icon status in Tennessee, and I've had to ban her from the state."

Derek said he asked his mother not to do any interviews with in-state (Tennessee) media.

"Mom has violated my media policies," he said. "She does it every day, and she doesn't give a (darn). My power can only go so far. She thinks it's fun. She's not going to think that when we have some bad years."

Derek said there was a lot of interest during the Big Orange Caravan this past spring from fans wanting to know what his parents were going to wear to this season's Tennessee-Georgia game.

"My dad doesn't want to tell anybody if he goes (to the game) because he doesn't want it to become a spectacle," Derek said. "How many times have you had to look at a quarterback's dad (like Archie Manning in a stadium whenever Eli or Peyton is playing) on TV before you start going 'Please!'

"So every time I go out there and make a dumb call, let's see what Dad thinks, and he's (shown) throwing the phone down. It's great theatre."

VOLinATL writes:

I met her at the caravan here in Atlanta...she is a fireball.

10SCVOL writes:

Barbara Dooley is a breath of fresh air. Don't even try to muzzle her. I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyway.

gnm53108 writes:

"She thinks it's fun. She's not going to think that when we have some bad years."

Answer...dont have bad years.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Don't think Miz Dooley is concerned what anyone says about or against her.

She and Finebaum had some doozies.

CoverOrange writes:

This guy is a worse journalist than JA. What prompted these comments from Dooley? Was this from specific interview or just comments overheard at a public venue? Is this all tongue-in-cheek or did she really violate his media policies? Are there any quotes from his mother to exemplify the complaint? Enquiring minds want to be bludgeoned with trivial info.

bobbarbilly writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

I would rather have her for us than against us.

ETNTigerFan writes:

Will Dooley make her run stairs at Neyland? HA! Sounds like a great lady and a great family. Huge step up from last year for Vol fans.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

You are stupid and boreing.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

DO WHAT ???????????????????????

nwcs writes:

At least Dooley knows how to be funny. :)

ctownvol writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Still bitter Phil?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

You are stupid and boreing.

Takes one to know one.
And you can't spell.
And your mother smelled of elderberries.

ctownvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Takes one to know one.
And you can't spell.
And your mother smelled of elderberries.

Isn't there a hamster somewhere in this story?

TommyJack writes:

She was the after dinner speaker at a meeting I once attended. What a hoot!

ctownvol writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

I wouldn't count on it Scooter. UT has NEVER lost 8 or more in a season.

rocky_topper writes:

I like her better than I do CDD. I have gained as much up-to-date news and progress on our football team and program thus far this year from her as I have from him.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Hey Vicky. How's Phil?

CSRAVol writes:

Smokey is "Dooley's other dog"

CoverOrange writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Isn't there a hamster somewhere in this story?

That was the third taunt.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Hi DC;
You know, it IS easy to think that way. Thing is, when you look at Dooley's staff....
these guys have all proven themselves somewhere or another. Secondly, you notice we don't hear much from the staff yet?? That means they are working, while CDD does the talking.

I've outlined in other posts our shortcomings. My gut says if Bray wins the starting job, we come together as a team. We have no less talent than, say, a mid-tier SEC team or an upper-tier WAC team....which Dooley and Wilcox have experienced.

No, we aren't a Florida or Bama right now. But, I'd say we are maybe just a step or two behind UGA and Auburn. We'd have been that way no matter who was the coach, unless we had hooked Mack Brown, Saban, or Meyer.

So there you have it. We have no depth, but we have some talent. We know the coaches will push hard on defense and special teams.

The Vols just MIGHT compete on the field.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Short Diatribe here.....
so often, everyone says "it's a business"

but, college sports really aren't. hold on, I know all about the huge sums of money involved. Guys like Kiffin, or hired guns like Saban enhance the image of big biz. So do the one and doners in basketball.

But, 99% of even major college sports teams are just kids, not stud athletes with pro careers. They are 18-23 year old folks who are rapidly changing from high schoolers to young adults, just as we all did.

Part of that process is the attachment to mentors; for students, it's a teacher, parent, or advisor. It's the good boss at a part-time job. For athletes, it's often their position coach.

This goes far beyond 'business'. These kids NEED the attachment they SHOULD get from a staff and program. CDD knows this, I think, and is trying hard to re-instill it. Saban knows it, as does Meyer. Making the millions that they do, both guys are very much player-oriented people.

To be successful in college, it really isn't a 'business', it is still a 'sport', and these kids are still.....children; not in the sense of age or intelligence, but they aren't really fully independent yet.

Sorry for the length, tried to break this up to keep it readable. THIS is an article Griffin should be writing, not me.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

The building blocks will be set this year. My questions:
-will the team be disciplined on the field like Lane's?? Granted, they where veterans, but still, they did a great job of NOT getting penalties (except vs bama at bama :) )
-will the special teams REALLY execute?
-defense; won't even elaborate
-offense: if he starts Simms, we are done. We will be a 'stop gap' in progress. Start Bray, and we are 'growing pains'. See the difference??

BigOrangeBill writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Turbo, how about cutting the KNS some slack. It's TOUGH finding good stories in the off season and I think they do a great job. This article shows the really good nature of our new coach. By the way, JA is a VERY GOOD writer and well respected by his peers. Coach Dooley's mom is 100% old school and I just LOVE to hear her or read about her. I think most of the Big Orange fans posting in this forum feel the same way about her. She's turning into a Big Orange dynamo.

gaj619 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

You need to get out of the Merlot. It seems to depress you and make you think negative thoughts. It's a fun piece so enjoy or move on.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Did you just invite dc back next year?

I was kinda hopping he would be medically cleared and discharged from where he's been spending his time on a computer the last couple of years.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Rich, I don't think that was DC with the UF-UT prediction last year....but I could be wrong.

roloyo writes:

Coach, I beleive you can take her.............if you sucker punch her.

GBO

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

CDD, my likes and dislikes;
-recruiting (like): he recruits to roles. I would do the same: a 3-star kid will bust his a## to do well on special teams or in roles. The GREAT programs have 5-star kids doing that...but we aren't great right now
-respect (like) CDD respects the conference and the game. While I felt CLK said some things that needed to be said, but too much at times.
-detail (like/dislike) that Hamilton is worried about CDD's attention to detail is a concern. Hamilton is no fool. Like any of us, he learns, too. He's seen something in CDD's job performance early on that concerns him.

jbocap writes:

You know its the non-story off season when they rehash an old story already been printed like this one. I was at the Caravan in Atlanta - his mom is great!

I do wish all the Derek Dooley haters would find another team to follow, as you clearly aren't a true Tennessee fan. I watched the La Tech/LSU game, and I was quite impressed with Coach Dooley. Now that he is at Tennessee, with better talent than La Tech, I do believe he will surprise some people.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to BigOrangeBill:

Agree except ..."JA is a very good writer?"

No...He's a very good instigator.

Kinda like some of our trolls.

Hmmmm

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

BTW, and I'll shut up...
Barbara Dooley really is a legend. She was quite popular in the SEC when Vince was coaching.

gaj619 writes:

in response to always_vol:

CDD, my likes and dislikes;

I agree a person can get lost in the details. However, Hamilton and the entire Vol Nation would be better off today had he been more detailed in his original coaching search. Just a thought.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to jbocap:

Were you saying the people that were criticizing Fulmer and Kiffin werent fans too? Because I was called out for criticizing Kiffin and the critcism turned out to be right. Just because a fan critcizes the coach doesnt mean they arent fans. People need to get thicker skin if it bothers them that much. These coaches are paid big bucks and are under intense scrutiny for it. I hope Dooley works out, but his performance at LA tech dont excite me at all. As long as he gets it done on the field and lives up to the expectations of UT fans then I will support him. He better win and win quick or this fan base will roast him no matte what the excuses are. Remember, Fulmer won the SEC East in 07, then had to replace the offensive co. and a few games into the 08 season he was as good as fired. And he was an alum and won alot of games and a NT for UT. Also, I could care less what Mama Dooley has to say, or what Dooley has to say about his mom. I want to hear whats going on with recruiting and who has reported for Summer class and working out. Maybe that will bring some enthusiasm to the program. Articles like this sure dont.

196SVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

W_D...let's hope you can still keep your sense of humor up after the season begins. But it IS good that the Derek's family is behind him. He will need all the help he can get.

196SVol writes:

Let's all hope this is NOT TRUE!

tnsportsman writes:

Ms Barbara is a jewel, refreshing and makes great PR for CCD and UT! CDD should just embrace it and let Ms Barbara do her thing for him and The Big Orange!

I think Ms Barbara should have a 5 minute spot on the weekly CDD Show during the season!

BY THE WAY, if Ms Barbara were to speak after each win this year, it will be 8 or more times, BOOK IT! 3 or 4 wins PLEASE! Go cheer for someone else, THE VOL NATION don't need those kind of fans!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to 196SVol:

Oh,he's got alot of help ole vol.

He's got the best facility,the best group of alum,the best fan base,and his university lies in the best damn state in these here United States of America.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

As much as I dislike you, even this true Vol fan laughed with you on that one.

99gator writes:

some of you who are critical of the KNS need to wake up to the fact that this coaching staff is not media friendly. i am not saying that's a bad thing, nor would i care if i were a tennesee fan. however, it doesn't give you anything to write about during the summer either.

99gator writes:

i'll try to bring up something about, you know, football and ask everyone a question.

who do you think will be the starting 22 in 2010?

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to 196SVol:

Let's all hope this is NOT TRUE!

Even if it is true, maybe CBS will pick her up and replace Michelle Tafoya during SEC games!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to 99gator:

Living in Nashville,I dont want to see Tennessee on the front page of our daily disapointment "Tennessean".

It's never a good thing this time of year.

99gator writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

you realize she's a florida grad, right?

some of you have a hard enough time handling Verne and Gary. an actual gator grad would be a real problem.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to 99gator:

who do you think will be the starting 22 in 2010?

QB Matt Simms (everyone likes Bray on 1 scrimmage)
RB Poole/Toney Williams/Raijon Neal rotation
WR Moore/Jones until FR show maturity
FB Kevin Cooper no doubt
TE Luke Stocker maybe best in SEC
C Cody Pope? or maybe that new kid
RG Jarrod Shaw
LG Shoefield
RT JaWaun James yes I think hes that good
LT Marques Pair will be All-SEC later in career
K Michael Palardy Michael Palardy Michael Palardy
DE Ben Martin/Gerald Williams (Jacques Smith)
DT Marlon Walls is SOLID
DT Montori Hughes
DE Chris Walker (Corey Miller)
LB Thompson/Greg King
LB Nick Reveiz leader in middle of D!
LB Savion Frazier/Herman Lathers
CB Eric Gordon STRONG SPRING!/ A. Anderson
CB Art Evans/N. Oliver
FS Janzen Jackson Janzen Jackson J. Jackson
SS Darren Myles and at some point Marques Dixon
P I guess Chad Cunningham?

As far as the season.....
Probable Wins:

Bama

Toss-ups:
UGA
USC
Ole Miss

Worst case scenario 5-7, Best case scenario 8-4
Realistically, TN will go 1-2 in toss-ups meaning TN will finish 6-6 in regular season.
Therefore, 2010 will be right about like 2009 in w/l.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to 99gator:

you realize she's a florida grad, right?

Hey, Layla Kiffin was a Gator grad too, that didn't seem to bother the masses, so who really cares about a weekly sideline reporter.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to DC_BackByPopularDemand:

Mediocrity - you mean like your posts?

gillblog writes:

in response to nwcs:

At least Dooley knows how to be funny. :)

Yes. Good point.
A little self-effacing humor from DD which is in itself a quality completely unknown to our previous HC who was an all-around tiresome and boring guy.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

QB Matt Simms (everyone likes Bray on 1 scrimmage)
RB Poole/Toney Williams/Raijon Neal rotation
WR Moore/Jones until FR show maturity
FB Kevin Cooper no doubt
TE Luke Stocker maybe best in SEC
C Cody Pope? or maybe that new kid
RG Jarrod Shaw
LG Shoefield
RT JaWaun James yes I think hes that good
LT Marques Pair will be All-SEC later in career
K Michael Palardy Michael Palardy Michael Palardy
DE Ben Martin/Gerald Williams (Jacques Smith)
DT Marlon Walls is SOLID
DT Montori Hughes
DE Chris Walker (Corey Miller)
LB Thompson/Greg King
LB Nick Reveiz leader in middle of D!
LB Savion Frazier/Herman Lathers
CB Eric Gordon STRONG SPRING!/ A. Anderson
CB Art Evans/N. Oliver
FS Janzen Jackson Janzen Jackson J. Jackson
SS Darren Myles and at some point Marques Dixon
P I guess Chad Cunningham?

As far as the season.....
Probable Wins:

Bama

Toss-ups:
UGA
USC
Ole Miss

Worst case scenario 5-7, Best case scenario 8-4
Therefore, 2010 will be right about like 2009 in w/l.

Good post. W/L look about right and so does the starting line up. What about D Lincoln for kicking though? He was really good until he got injured, unfortunately it cost UT the Bama game though. I know Palardy is supposed to be really good too so it wouldnt suprise me to see him get the nod. I wouldnt think there would be much to learn as a kicker like other positions.

dvhill100 writes:

I understand the frustration of some fans for the lack of news. The dead season is mostly to blame, but you also have to factor in CDD's Saban-trained attitude toward the media. While LK did everything he could to stay in the spotlight, CDD doesn't think that way.

Momma Dooley is fine with me. Any unabashed Volunteer fan is a wonderful thing. Saban himself recommended CDD for this position as I understand it. I would be happy to have CDD emulate Saban and his success. I think he will. Won't be pretty the first couple of years, but I believe it will happen. Looking forward to this season with great anticipation.

orangecountyvols writes:

Summertime and it's going to be stories like this to keep things moving. But the thing always mentioned is about coaching. The comments about how things would be better if people like Saban or Meyer were coaching here. Hmmmm. With the same players on the field? Seems people forget the difference in whose on the field and whose standing on the sideline. I never recall any coaches blocking and tackling, etc etc.

So, to keep things moving for the rest of the summer, let's continue with knowing how bad a coach or a team is, even two or more months before the first kickoff.

People make choices to live in the doom and gloom way of life, and some choose to wait and see what happens, enjoying the things in the present.

One thing I do know for sure, it doesn't work well to criticize trolls because they aren't going anywhere. They enjoy the way they are; it's the attention getting thing for them.

As far as Mrs. Dooley is concerned, it's nice to hear about someone whose family does actually know something about football and can inspire people to do as well as they can.