UT QBs not without a hitch

Hinshaw will leave them alone

One of Darin Henshaw's strengths as a high school quarterback was a quick release. But it didn't come without a hitch.

"It wasn't a good release, as I look back at it," said Tennessee's first-year quarterbacks coach, as he quickly dropped his right arm to simulate the hitch in his release.

But such flaws are acceptable when they get results. And Hinshaw has kept that in mind in his coaching career.

"There's always some coaching of the mechanics," he said. "By the time you get to the season, there's not as much work."

The candidates for UT starting quarterbacks job will present a similar challenge. Both freshman Tyler Bray and junior college transfer Matt Simms are inexperienced at the college level. But there's nothing similar about their mechanics, according to Hinshaw.

"Matt and Tyler are complete opposites (as passers)," said Hinshaw, who doesn't plan to overhaul either one of them.

Bray has a more prototypical delivery, Hinshaw said. But Simms has gotten results.

"I'm not going to change Matt Simms' throws at this point, because he is older and has done it a long time," Hinshaw said. "It's abnormal, his throwing motion. He has a different grip than most quarterbacks.

"There's almost a palming of the ball. His thumb is behind the football.

"But he has produced. He has done a good job."

John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VOL03_NC writes:

Just hit the numbers...

MikeTheTiger writes:

Is that it? That's the whole article?
Wow!

oldschooltye writes:

Mechanics in throwing is just one of the little things that can help your team win.Same with footwork.It's the little things that could mean the difference in a ball game.

TennCup writes:

I'm going to assume this is an excerpt.

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

In-depth reporting. Behind the scenes stuff. This is why the jury of his peers awards JA the trophy as the best sports writer of the year.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Not one mention of bounce passes?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Seems strange that Simms would have bad mechanics, with a hall of fame quarterback for a father. Wonder if his dad had the same mechanical flaws. If so, it seemed to work ok for him.

oskie_score writes:

All this talk of food has made me hungry but before I go fire up the pit here's my $.02...

The competition between Simms and Bray is said to be close, if this is true than IMO give the starting nod to Bray giving him, an inexperienced OL, and young RB's and WR's the chance to build a chemistry while gaining (game) experience. Initially this trial by fire may be ugly but will eventually (barring injury(s)) should pay dividends.

Now, where are those matches?...

vols2#227315 writes:

Unless Brays get to start this year,Tenn will have bad years until Simms graduate. iF sIMMS CAN'T MAKE IT A lOUISVILLE, THEN HE CAN NOT MAKE IT AT UT. I watch Simms throw 3 interception during the spring game. All he did in practice is throw interception.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to MikeTheTiger:

Is that it? That's the whole article?
Wow!

It's a sidebar that ran with the longer piece on Hinshaw.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Hope Manning gave some good pointers and a talking-to. He has met with every QB since he left and I like that. Hope these boys were not star-struck and actually listened to him.

TommyJack writes:

Ol' John got up to go to the whizzer...and never came back to finish the article.

VOLinATL writes:

Maybe if we ponied up and paid for this content, there would be $$ to hire writers to cover the program more throughly. When you get something for free, you can't expect much. I guess we willhave to wait for those "citizen journalists" to come along and replace the professionals and the antiquated newspapers.

Y10 writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

Hope Brady's 6'6" 180 lb frame can withstand a blitzing SEC LB or Corner...

Volunatic writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Phil Simms was a pretty good QB, but not a great QB in the pros. He didn't make a lot of big mistakes, and with the great defenses that the Giants had back then, "pretty good" was all that was needed at the QB position.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to vols2#227315:

I hope Simms is not in your grammar class on campus.

jmatt62 writes:

FreeTDTN, I'm still laughing. Good one. On a somewhat serious note, Troy Aikman had a grip a lot like Simms has. He had his thumb behind the ball and it looked like he was palming the ball. He had some decent results, though. Agreed?

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to oldschooltye:

Not to belittle your statement about mechanics, just to remind you that you aren't an SEC coach. Tim Tebow had awful mechanics, just plain awful but he got results. The UT coach knows something you may have missed or forgotten. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

When I played softball, I had an odd delivery that was not a full wind up and toss. It was more of a half wind and clockwise wrist flick. It resulted in the ball having a counterclockwise sideways spin that dipped downwards as it reached the batter. What usually happened was a strike for persistent foul balls that led to outs or fouls until a strike out. BUT the pitching coach insisted I do a full wind up and all that did was make me a WILD pitcher. After being cussed out one time too many I just left the team. Funny is that when the intramural squad played the varsity boys and later a police team in an exhibition for handicapped kids benefit, we intramural guys won both convincingly mainly due the opponents not being able to get scores against me. The pitching coach actually asked me if I'd return next spring, I just walked away and never played the sport again.

Sonny Jurgensen had the nutty and (I think) dangerous side arm delivery. If you ask me and even coaches of his time, that invited having defenses knock the ball from your hands and recovering it as a fumble. But he got great results with the throw. His coaches realized the same thing. If it ain't broke don't fix it. you listening? The UT coach sure is and he's a coach while you aren't.