Maze takes control of future plans

Bobby Maze greets a fan after the Vols defeated Ohio State during the NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteen at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Mo., Friday, Mar. 26, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Bobby Maze knew people wouldn't understand when he left Tennessee immediately after the NCAA tournament and a loss in the Elite Eight.

"I wasn't mad or anything like that,'' said Maze, who returned to Knoxville to play in the Pilot Rocky Top League on Wednesday night. "But I did what I had to do to get ready, and people weren't going to understand until they could see me play again.''

Maze put on a show, scoring a team-high 37 points on 15-of-26 shooting while dishing out 12 assists to lead First Tennessee (3-3) to a 147-124 victory over DeRoyal Industries (4-2) at Bearden High School.

"I went up to New Jersey and started training right after the season, running every day at 5:30 in the morning and spending at least three hours in the gym,'' said the 6-foot-3 Maze, who added 10 pounds to his frame and is now at 200 pounds. "I've gotten bigger and faster, and I can shoot from anywhere on the floor.

"The scouts that have seen me all say I've improved a lot.''

Maze, who said he will play with the Chicago Bulls in the Las Vegas NBA summer league if not the New York Knicks, said the style of play at the next level suits his talents better than the college game.

"In the NBA, it's a lot of one-on-one,'' Maze said. "That's what I like to do.''

D'Mario Curry scored 34 for First Tennessee, which will play Ray's ESG (3-3) at 6 tonight in the consolation game, and UT's Kenny Hall had 28.

Incoming UT freshman Jordan McRae had 42 points for DeRoyal and UT guard Melvin Goins scored 29.

With the game out of hand late, the teams staged a dunk exhibition, with McRae and Curry each going between the legs before jamming, and Goins stealing the show with a windmill dunk and 360 throwdown.

Central High School's Dre Mattheiu, who stands about 5-9, brought the crowd to their feet with a 360 dunk of his own.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

eduardo writes:

Way to go Bobby M you made a believer out of all of us!!

TK writes:

Am I missing something here? You have made GREAT improvement in just a couple of months? Bobby why did you not do this before the start of your SR year? Then scouts could have seen you for the season. AND you would have helped your team more!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

McRae 42 points!!Thats encouraging!!

lomas98 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

McRae 42 points!!Thats encouraging!!

Woolridge also scored 45 and Tatum attempted 21 threes. Don't get too excited over the intramural league stats.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to TK:

"In the NBA, it's a lot of one-on-one,"

Pearl doesn't coach one-on-one basketball.

That is the reason I personnally stopped watching the NBA. Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson changed the game.

easleychuck writes:

in response to TK:

I appreciate Maze's effort for the Vols. But I was wondering the same thing.

crappieking writes:

Congratulations Bobby! Thanks for being a Vol. Good luck to you.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

I will enjoy seeing him try to prove you wrong.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to lomas98:

Don't be pessimistic. If you're not impressed by anything, be happy that we know that our recruits are capable. Anyway, I bet you've never been to a game, and you don't understand what it's like.

You know Orlando Woolridge sucked until his junior year at ND? I'd be willing to bet it's hereditary. Also, did you know that Cam is going to start and he's healthy?

Since you've never been to the RTL, I'll tell you that Jordan McRae is the real deal. He'll definitely be one of the most, if not the most athletic player on the team. He's going to be a 6'5 SG and probably the team's blocks leader. BE EXCITED ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN SEE AT THE RTL!

SeanJean writes:

Best of luck B Maze! We're going to miss you here on Rocky Top. One of my favorite basketball Vols.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to TK:

ummm - maybe then he had to deal with something else on his schedule - that little thing called college?

doctorvol#211700 writes:

How can one criticize B Maze? Great yr and FT hitting PG. Mentally tough down stretch - huge improvement from when he arrived at UT. Play hard and do well, Bobby!

Raynoch writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

How's that Eric Bledsoe saga panning out?

HtownVol writes:

Puttyitchfever is a funny guy. Or boy, or girl...Whatever it is why is it on the Vols site so much trying to convince itself that UK is a great and honest program?

I bet it walks around its parents house with its chest sticking out every time it talks smack about the team that finished ahead of the great UK 4 of the past 5 seasons.

walt23tn writes:

I was a big Maze fan when he got here. I became a little disappointed after his first year, but I believe he left his heart on the floor last year, and I have nothing but good memories of him. Thanks for being a Vol Bobby.