Senior moments for Chism, Maze, Prince

Wayne Chism

THE WIN HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"This last win over Kentucky is the

win I'll always remember. It's my

senior year, and my last time playing them at home, maybe ever. We hadn't beaten them in a couple of years.

It's a big rivalry game and it meant a

lot to our fans, and getting that last

win for Coach Pearl in that orange jacket."

THE LOSS HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"That loss to Ohio State in the

Sweet 16. We could have been an Elite Eight team, and we would have beaten Memphis (in the next round) again and been in the Final Four. I played (Greg) Oden well, and I thought we were

going to win that."

LIFE LESSON FROM PEARL

"I grew up as a person playing for

Coach Pearl. He makes you a better person and player. If you don't understand something, doesn't matter what it is, he'll break it down for you a different way. If you still don't understand it, he'll keep finding ways to explain it until you get it."

J.P. Prince

THE WIN HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"It's got to be Memphis (in Feb. 2008). That was the toughest of all the wins

that we had. That's my hometown.

Just everything about that game.

I wasn't nervous shooting those

(game-winning) free throws. I remember thinking I knew I was going to make them."

THE LOSS HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"That loss to Arkansas (2008) in the

SEC tournament. We win that game,

we get a No. 1 seed and we're in Kansas' spot (in the NCAA tournament field), and they had an easy path to the national championship. Steven Hill didn't make one shot the whole game, until he made that last one.''

LIFE LESSON FROM PEARL

"Just how he treats players like men, on and off the court. He lets you grow up and be a college student. I played for an older coach (Lute Olson), too, so I have a perspective on that. I took from Coach Pearl to always try to have fun at what you do.''

Bobby Maze

THE WIN HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"Kansas. After all we had been through, playing with four less guys, playing the No. 1 team and facing that adversity, and knowing no one thought we'd have a chance. It was such a team effort with so many guys contributing in so many different ways. The smiles from players and fans, no words can describe it."

THE LOSS HE'LL NEVER FORGET

"Oklahoma State. It came down to that last shot. I'd never felt the way I felt after that loss. Just knowing there wasn't another practice. The sickness in my stomach, I couldn't watch any NCAA tournament games after that. I was so sick from that loss. I felt like I should still be playing."

LIFE LESSON LEARNED FROM PEARL

"Time passes by so fast, so Coach Pearl tells us that every second, every minute, every game you need to be productive. The two years I been here, I can't believe it, it's almost over. I still remember playing first year in Rocky Top League thinking I had a lot of time - and now it's the last night in front of these fans. It's a sad feeling, not wanting to leave. The lesson is to make the most of every minute you're on the floor."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tractoronthepole writes:

Thanks Mike good reporting. Love Maze's attitude, he wants more time as a VOL. Play each game like you did against Kansas and you will get many more games this season.

jclowers writes:

Things that (hopefully) our coaches and team noticed. Against Kansas and Kentucky we beat them and EVERYBODY who played chipped in. Be it points or key rebounds or defensive plays. If this team could consistently play that way each game then we will be playing for an SEC championship and in the second weekend (possibly more) of the NCAA tourney.

One thing to note is that the last two years Wayne has turned it on when the postseason comes. He plays his hardest when the tournaments start and really impacts the box score. Hopefully he, Bobby and JP can keep wearing the Orange for quite a while longer.

veinsoforange writes:

Good Luck to all of you guys. It's going to be tough seeing you guys go as well. You all have been such a HUGE part of creating arguably the most competitive era in Tennessee basketball history! Go Vols & Go CBP!

govols9875 writes:

Yea i think vol fans are going to miss those guys. I think that all 3 of em are really underappreciated

justincredible369#357762 writes:

you guys have made the last few years a lot funner. Really guys, Thank YOu!

runninbroke writes:

Great article! I'll miss the three of them and I know I am speaking for the entire vol nation. The loss that hurts as a fan to me is the one where we had Ohio State dominated in the first half and let it slip away... That was tough. However, look at the big wins these kids will always have to fall back on. PLUS just maybe the kids can make another good memory or two this year!!

Mule_Days_King writes:

Thanks Wayne, JP and Bobby. You have "given your all for Tennessee".

cdldoc#211897 writes:

If the Refs will let JP play and call the fouls properly on his penetrations, these guys will win the SEC and be in the Elite Eight. Usually in post season play Vandy and KY cannot expect to get their 25-35 foul shots. Well at least not at the big tourney. If these SEC refs would call it like the east coast games, our guys would get a chance to play the game the way they are capable. GO Weezy, JP and Bobby. Time to step up and be tough Scottie.

richvol writes:

I have never seen this team play any harder or any better than the first half of the Kentucky game Saturday. If we can recapture that in each of our following games we can really do something special. Go Vols...

DC_Vol writes:

in response to rcr12:

You really take the cake. You are such a hypocrite. You come on here and pretend to care about Chism and Prince after all the negative words you have written about the UT basketball progam from the start of the season till today.

Your comments haven't only hurt the fans on this site, but the UT basketball players who follow the posts on these boards. Further, recruits come here to play for Pearl one of the top ten coaches in the country. Your continued negative posts regarding the Pearl and the UT basketball in now way encourages recruits to play for the UT basketball program.

Continue your diatribes against Pearl and UT basketball, but please don't act like you have supported or cared about Chism or Prince or any of these fine UT basketball players who have given their all for our University. Your words cleary show you have not supported them or UT basketball.

VolJunkie writes:

Great memories, we will miss this Senior Class. They should be proud of how they have helped "set the table" for the future of UT basketball.

Last home game but still lots of opportunity to make even greater memories in the SECT and NCAA ... best wishes to Wayne, JP, and Bobby.

Go Vols!

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

We will miss these 3 more than we think next year.

Gentlemen....Thank you for being VOLS and thank you for representing the University of Tennessee in a positive way. Good luck on future endeavors and through the ups and downs, it has been fun watching you guys these past few seasons. Hopefully this season has many more games in it!

RoyaltyVol writes:

Congrats seniors on a job well done and most of all for being able to graduate from a great university!

gwills228#231210 writes:

u.t. basketball game ticket-$15.oo, big orange t-shirt-$25.00, wayne chism smile-priceless!!! seriously though,not taking anything away from tyler smith,but i always thought that chism was a better player than him,but he always played in his shadow. i also think coach pearl should get coach of the year,name me one other coach that has had to indure what cbp has had to handle this year,and still competing,cudo's to you coach!!

Skullz_VOL writes:

Thanks for the memories! Proud you are all VOLS!

crappieking writes:

JP, Wayne, Bobby - You guys are awesome. I have had to sit through some hard times in TN BB, but you guys gave it your all. Keep playing strong, and good luck to you three in everything you do.

BAFLETCHER writes:

A much better article on the three Seniors.

ellerbee123 writes:

What time does senior night start. I do not want to be late.

Volunatic writes:

A great Big Orange "THANK YOU!" to the Senior Vol basketball players. Keep up the good work!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to rcr12:

Thank you for your warm sentiments.

Just don't ever profess your love for UT basketball!!!

By the way, don't you have some phones to answer. LOL Get back to work at KNS and stop posting. ;)

DC_Vol writes:

in response to rcr12:

Hey DAVED,

Is the love you feel for me, the same love you feel for Chism, Maze, Prince and UT basketball? You are a walking, talking, writing contradiction. Do you ever actually mean the words you write or is everything a game to upset the Vol fans?

RoyaltyVol writes:

I would love to see these seniors make UT history and go out with a final 8 appearance or better.

allvol9 writes:

Just a great group of seniors. They have all been playing amazing. Like Maze...I am sad to see their time end at Rocky Top!

volsman85 writes:

What's the ovr/under on mins for Pearl tonight?>

volsman85 writes:

in response to gwills228#231210:

I agree totally!! Chism is the BOMB. Never thought Tyler was NBA material. I wish Chism well in the NBA. Prince too. I think he has a shot to be pretty good NBA'er. The game is made for a guy like him. Booby, love ya man. Good luck in Europe.

VolFan1MM writes:

I wish only the best for each of you. It has been so much fun watching you play, especially this year when you had to step up for others that messed up. Chism, your personality is awsome and your smile is contagious. You are my favorite player but Prince and Maze have certainly had their moments on the floor. Thanks to all of you for your energy, loyalty, and above all, your integrity. You have made me proud to be a Vol Fan. GO VOLS GO CBP

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

I agree...Wayne, J.P., and Bobby, Vol Nation will miss you greatly for the way you poured your heart and soul into this challenging season. It did NOT go unnoticed. Wayne, we hope to see that smile for another few weeks!! I wish you all the best beyond TBA.

send writes:

Source Leaks: Usc Placed on Major Probation | Sportales Source Leaks: Usc Placed on Major Probation. Published on February 23, 2010 by Mnofdichotomy in Football. Another giant falls. Comments (35)|26 Liked It ...
sportales.com

Major_Magilicutty writes:

in response to BAFLETCHER:

A much better article on the three Seniors.

Great link...thanks.

virginiavolfan writes:

Why couldn't Steven Pearl be a senior? He will probably play more than Tobias Harris next year.

in response to BAFLETCHER:

A much better article on the three Seniors.

Thank you SO MUCH for that link. Everybody who has made so many snarky cracks about Bobby Maze MUST read it. I'm sure most of the ones talking so much junk about him didn't graduate with a 3.5 GPA, as Bobby will in May. He credits the program and the school with turning his life around and helping him become a man. Hate to see you go, Bobby; please come back often, and thanks for all you have done here, on and off the court!

SeanJean writes:

in response to virginiavolfan:

Stick to football.

Sad to see these guys go. They've provided some great moments, and I'm optimistic for many more in the coming weeks. I love how this team is playing going into the postseason. Keep it up tonight and go big orange!

This was also a good article on the seniors. Thanks for the memories! Now get out there, starting tonight, and make some more! GBO!!! TCB!!!

Ironcity writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Guys, if you go to Vols stuff link you will find pretty much every article on UT from the state and the AJC including the linked article. KNS updates it daily. I would suggest anyone interested in UT sports to look in that area daily.

bigorange61 writes:

in response to virginiavolfan:

Every post you have made under the name "virginiavolfan" has been a swipe at Steve Pearl. What gives?

The guy has been more valuable than Woolridge, McBee, or Hall as of late.

VABeachVOLFan writes:

Anyone know where Wayne Chism stands as far as UT career Points/rebounds?

in response to Ironcity:

Thanks for the tip, but where is that link you mentioned?

in response to bigorange61:

The guy has been more valuable than Woolridge, McBee, or Hall as of late.

If you have read all his posts, you should realize by now that he has a fixation against Steve that no amount of contrary evidence can overcome. All I can figure is that his girl dumped him for Steve or Steve beat him in a game of HORSE or something like that.

in response to VABeachVOLFan:

Anyone know where Wayne Chism stands as far as UT career Points/rebounds?

I don't know, but I hope he has a good number of opportunities to add to them! He may not be as high as we might think since he has never been a really big scorer or averaged more than seven or so rebounds per game.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks for the tip, but where is that link you mentioned?

Its on the home page of GVX. Just scroll down all the way to the blog section and Vol Stuff is always in that section. Glad to be of service. GBO!!!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Times Flyin' by!!! Don't waste it.
Oh and...GOOOO Vols!!!!!!

fpcoach writes:

weezy, jp, bobby thanks for representing and giving your all for our Tennessee Vols.

fpcoach writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

AMEN

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

SLAM! HOPSON SLAM!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Dang. 2 early fouls by 2 seniors already.

TommyJack writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

What Bob said.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Anothe Hopson SLAM!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Pearl blocked a layup? Seriously? !!!!!!!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Chism now has 1,500 career points and is 11th on the alltime list! On Senior Night!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes: