Dooley has protocol for visitors to UT

Derek Dooley: Q&A (Part 1 of 3)

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley during a press conference Wednesday, Mar. 17, 2010 .

Photo by Michael Patrick

An animated Derek Dooley vehemently defended his policy on former players visiting Tennessee’s athletic facilities.

“How confusing is this?” the new UT coach exclaimed in his pre-spring practice press conference inside Neyland Stadium on Wednesday. “When you go to somebody’s house, what do you do? You just don’t walk in. You go ‘Hey Jimmy, I’m going to come over today.’ Boom. What so hard about that? We try to create an issue that isn’t there.”

Yet in fact it has been an issue. Former safety Eric Berry expressed concern Monday over the fact that some of his ex-teammates were escorted from UT’s practice facility. UT has since said that Dooley didn’t know the players that were booted.

Dooley’s main policy change is that former players are required to call Condredge Holloway of the athletic department before they attend practice.

“This is how difficult it is,” Dooley said, holding his hand to his head as if it were a telephone. “ ‘Hey Condredge I want to come to practice today.’ OK. Psst. We act like that’s an act of congress.

“I’d like to know who is coming. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. I don’t know a lot of the former players. So I’d like to know in advance that ‘Hey, so-in-so is going to be here’ so I can go shake his hand, meet him and talk to him. I don’t know why that’s so unreasonable. What am I missing? Is there some tradition I’m missing here?”

The tradition that has concerned some former players has been a perceived change in UT’s open-door policy for former players at its facilities. When asked about the open-door policy, Dooley initially interrupted the question and asked why former players would want to return to campus if not to watch practice.

“Walk into the building and do what? What are they going to do, just walk in and look around?” Dooley said while looking back and forth at the ceiling.

When informed that some players see UT’s training staff before they see their own doctor and others workout in the Neyland-Thompson Complex, Dooley said all are still welcome to do so.

As for practices, a phone call would be appreciated.

“They’re part of the family,” Dooley said. “My brother, he lives in Atlanta. He’s a part of my family, but he doesn’t drive up to Knoxville and open up my door … It’s basic human interaction. That’s all it is.

“It doesn’t mean I’m excluding my brother because I’d like him to call me before he comes to Knoxville.”

Earlier in the day, Dooley won over Berry after what he called a “great meeting”.

“It went very well,” Berry said. “Coach Dooley said it was a misunderstanding. After that, we just went on and talked about football.”

Dooley’s display was a bit surprising for some. Upon realizing that, Dooley tried to lighten the mood.

“I’m not upset guys,” he said. “I hope you don’t think I am. I just get a kick out of some of this stuff.”

Media Memo: Before his press conference, Dooley spent about 20 minutes talking to reporters about UT’s new media policy.

Dooley said he will be available after all practices this spring. Select players will be available after most practices. Assistant coaches will be available after three practices.

Media will be allowed to watch individual drills in practice and no team drills, including scrimmages, which had been open previously. All practices are closed to the general public.

In the fall, Dooley and select players will be available after Saturday games and on Monday and Tuesday. Dooley and assistant coaches will be available on Wednesday, but topics of discussion with assistants are limited to “coach/player feature stories”. Questions about UT’s football team are forbidden.

There will be no media availability on Thursday or Friday.

Dooley was the only member of the coaching staff or player made available to the media on Wednesday.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HtownVol writes:

What does this matter? I understand the policy, but is it news worthy?

dvols writes:

BAM!

dave1#220678 writes:

Hooker, give it up man. There is nothing here to keep stirring up! Dooley verbally spanked you good at the press conference. He outlined his expectations. How hard is it to grasp? New sheriff in town. Sounds like you need to "bone up" on your stats research and journalism as coach seems to be impressed with your brethren that have mastered those arts, based on some of his comments to others.

Mule_Days_King writes:

Much ado about nada.

dvols writes:

i would like to know as well if travis henry was snoopin around campus....

crimsonviper writes:

Well, I think this means Hooker won't be having lunch with the Dooley's this weekend.
Give it up Dave.

TommyJack writes:

I got no beef with Hooker. BUT, it appears to me that he thinks HIS access, and HIS take on things, is THE story. Bulletin. It should be about the team, not media access. Just my 2 pesos worth.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Exactly,TJ.

tnaseevol writes:

Just as long as CDD knows that the really BIG donars are not used to calling beforehand. Guess he already knows this or will know it very soon that there IS AN OPEN DOOR POLICY FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE!!!!

zjames65#628943 writes:

Dave, I listen to you everyday. Sometimes I think you and John Adams are funny...other times I think John is funny and you sound like a whiner. This is one of those times you sound like a whiner. What do you not understand about his policy? In my opinion, the Knoxville media needs to calm down, take a step back and re-evaluate their lives. STOP WHINING

PureOrange writes:

For a coach who has a lot of catching up to do, he does not need these kind of distractions. His requests makes a lot of sense.

Ex players are welcome, but they need to let him know they are coming. Would they want Dooley to show up at their house unannounced?

Let him coach!

UTKpremed writes:

Dave, ya got owned, bud. Now, get up dust ya brithces off.

zjames65#628943 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Quitter

tnsportsman writes:

Dave after hearing Coach Dooley on all 3 Q & A Videos right here on GVX; you writing it and Coach Dooley saying it is like 'Night & Day'

I was first upset concerning former players until I heard 'THE MAN' explain it. I wanted full media access until I heard 'THE MAN' explain it.

Coach Dooley also said, any infomation needed on UT Football will be available to all the media ('You Guys')! Guess that means 'You Guys' will have to really work for it dude.

Dude, play by his rules and program, we as BIG ORANGE FANS will. It was very good to hear Coach Dooley in the Q & A! He made prefect sense and won me over!

Subject closed, time to build a WINNING football program again under Coach Dooley!

GO VOLS!

mgdchvol writes:

Good job coach! We've got your back!
Too many of these media guys have tabloid hangover from our previous demagog!
Go vols!!
Let the guy do his job!

tnaseevol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Goodun about the kiss!! ROTFLMAO

pdhuff#552644 writes:

You go Corch D, it's your show, make it work your way.

It's been way too long since we hosted the grail of SEC champions.

CDD, be the man, stay the man!!

mgdchvol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Bet you aint calling
Condridge either!!
Looser!!

orangevolz writes:

in response to HtownVol:

What does this matter? I understand the policy, but is it news worthy?

Have you been living under a rock? This is definitely newsworthy. You are just one of those jerks who like to complain when KNS doesn't report something, and then complain when they do report something.

Botetourtvol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

How much do you want for your tickets ? I am very interested - I smell a bargain.

volsportsfan writes:

Dooley is a funny guy.

springcreekvol writes:

After today's presser I have concluded you rival Heather Harrington as one of the dumbest in your field. Congrats.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Dave?

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to HtownVol:

What does this matter? I understand the policy, but is it news worthy?

It matters a lot to some of us.In the past,I,along with some other supporters in my group have been extended an invite to watch a couple of practices each year.If I understand this new policy,We will not be invited again.I hope I am wrong.Practice is fun to watch and you get to know the staff and players on a limited basis.And I thought that other guy was an arse.

volsoutlaw writes:

This just in, interview with Coach Dooley...

Coach: Hello

Media(Hooker): I have a question

Coach: Go ahead

Media (Hooker): Why did you interrupt me?

Coach: I'm sorry, did you ask your question? (puzzled look on face)

Media (Hooker): There you go again, interrupting me, and why do you have that puzzled look? are you getting all shook up about my questions? Are you here to kill this program?

Coach: Excuse me? (Puzzled expression, has now changed to totally mystified look of talking to a crazy person)

Media (Hooker): I knew it! Your here to destroy the program, wait till I write my article about you buster!

roloyo writes:

Hooker, I think you just got b*tch slapped. There are two ways to gain respect (you either buy it or you earn it), and since you probably can't afford it, you should lean toward the latter. I'm sure CDD would appreciate it.

GBO

hamrbr writes:

Again Hooker, get the heck out of here. My guess is that Dooley would agree since he was very polite with everyone EXCEPT you. Please get another job!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

It may fall off some but real fans know the history of the program and it will be brought back and if not by this coach the next.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

How much for the season tickets?? They need to belong to a true Vols fan, and I'll gladly fill your spot!

DA4BigOrange writes:

He HAMMERED you, Dave. And you deserved EVERY SECOND of it. You have used your show as a forum to try and make the fan base not like this guy just because he doesn't feed you inside info or treat you and the rest of your media cohorts like you matter.

Guess what? You don't matter.

You got embarassed today. Your hair wasn't the only thing on you red after that. I'd say your face and rear both were that shade as well.

USNVOL writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hey Rich,
That was funny.
Hooker got spanked and its about time.
It didn't take long for our new coach to figure this poop pot stirer out.
GET OVER IT HOOKER!
Hooker got hooked!!!
HaHaHa

DaddyVol writes:

Whatcha bet the ones who show up over there unannounced are the same ones who don't contribute a dime to the athletic department???

Past players who give back are probably the ones who have no problem following a simple request by our new coach.

USNVOL writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I'd like to buy your tickets,tell me how to get in touch with you.
A Vol for life!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to dvols:

i would like to know as well if travis henry was snoopin around campus....

isn't he in hiding somewhere over child support?

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to zjames65#628943:

I'm sorry.... my ears would bleed after listening to that guy on a daily basis.

vut56#231073 writes:

Let's see: last fifty years, average of 25 new football players each year, that's 1,250 "ex-players." That does not include other sports. If for no other reason, what about security? Out of that many possibilities, who is to say at least one is not a kook, or terrorist, who would like to blow up somthing.

Then, there is the fact that high school, college or maybe even the Rocky Top League always has a bunch of good old boys who never outgrew their few quarters of fame and want to hang over the fence, second guessing today's team with stories of how they did it in the old days. Everyone has witnessed that scene.

Respecting and accomdating "ex-players" is a given; having a procedure that does not give open door to Florida and Alabama scouts---or worse--- seems common sense.
JMO

USNVOL writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hey Rich,
This old boy sounds sort of like Hooker,he just doesn't understand.
However you handed him his azz like Coach Dooley handed hooker his azz.
Maybe now he will understand.
I am sure since he will be selling his season tickets,he will no longer be coming on this Vols site to read about our Vols.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

hahahaha!!!

just saw the interview with Dooley, part 2... It was so amusing and satisfying hearing DH get absolutely owned!
DD is 100% right... Just because you used to play there does not ENTITLE you to go and hang out anytime you please...folks need to wake up and stop giving themselves rights THEY DON'T HAVE! Coach DD doesn't recognize every tom, dick, and harry wandering onto the practice facility, so how exactly is he supposed to keep "spies" from stealing plays or whatever? DH and former players, stop whining! DD is the coach, and he's in charge!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to RichRollin:

What RR2 said!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Dave?

exactly!! lmao!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

YOu're not a vol fan... you've been exposed... you can leave now... AND CALL AHEAD before you post! lmao!

jman33163 writes:

Can you imagine the lack of decent articles we will face with KNS having limited access? Who knows what they will come up with.

Go Big Orange!!!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to jman33163:

Go Big Orange!!!!

Don't really think it'll make a difference, do you?

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I really loved the hand gesture of him picking up and hanging up the phone! This guy rocks!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

And the daily opinion poll comment cracked me up too!

FLAVOLS writes:

GAWD! Hooker blowing it up with his first couple lines of this article below...

“How confusing is this?” the new UT coach exclaimed.

That is Hooker's way of spinning it because Hooker got his vag bruised. Watch the press conference and see for yourself how "animated" and how he "vehemently" "exclaiming" he defended his policy.

I didn't see Dooley vehemently defending his actions or exclaiming anything wildly even though I could understand if he did with the sorry *ss follow up questions he threw out there. Move on Hooker!

Poor wittle Hooker got his feewings huwt.

dmcintosh writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

I'm sorry.... my ears would bleed after listening to that guy on a daily basis.

Listening to Hooker getting spanked on the radio today, I kept waiting to hear that stupid, annoying little giggle he does on the show each day. But the giggle never came - thank goodness! "The News Sentinel Sports Page" has made me a big fan of Neal Boortz.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to TommyJack:

TJ. 2 Pesos! I see you are also adjusting back there in Tenn.

manoffewwords writes:

Everything CDD adds to vols program = strength
EVERYTHING HOOKER ADDS TO VOLS PROGRAM = WEAKNESS

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Your season tickets to what? You have never had a ticket to a single Vol game. Go Troll somewhere else.