Dooley on Bryce Brown: As of now he's not a part of the team

Coach Dooley's comments on Bryce Brown

Bryce Brown

Photo by Jaime Oppenheimer/The Wichita Ea

Bryce Brown

The first practice was meant to announce an arrival.

A departure overshadowed it.

Derek Dooley officially debuted as the coach at Tennessee. But the curtain apparently has closed on Bryce Brown as a Vols running back.

The former No. 1 recruit in the country was a no-show as UT took the field under Dooley for the first time on Thursday afternoon, one day after the new coach indicated Brown hadn't approached him about possibly leaving the program.

"As of now he's not a part of the team," Dooley said.

More details later online and in Friday's News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

lahvolman2 writes:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Vols4Braves writes:

Idiot. Piss your career away

PMC2726 writes:

What the F????????

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Well thats a shame. All I can say is that if he does not want to be a Vol....let him go, we don't need him.

oldbasshead writes:

Attitude is everything. If Brown doesn't want to be there, UT is much better off.

voltan writes:

Hope they work this out but sounds bad right now. I'm not worried about this position though, we have a loaded backfield that will get the job done. Big mistake for BB IMHO. Go Vols and Titans So says Voltan

PMC2726 writes:

What are the odds this guy ends up sitting out a year and playing at USC for Kiffin or at Miami with his brother. I want to throw up.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

This is not good news, regardless of how many rb's we have. Seems that the snowball still has not quit rolling down the hill yet.

TNballer writes:

Does anyone know what happened? Did he just not show up to practice?

utwick writes:

I blame the ex coach who shall not be named

voltan writes:

His brother just transfered to Kan St. I believe. Rumer had it he was going to go also. Hard to believe he is going to give up a yr. though. He could play here two more yrs and have it made.

wags32 writes:

Well that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is no good way to spin it. Oku you da man now son.

TNgirlygirl writes:

Why would he leave my gosh he's really messing up his career. This is crazy!!

tnaseevol writes:

I just posted on another thread that I was talking to my son and he said CDD said BB was not practicing with the team but wasn't kicked off yet...what's going on?

kabzs writes:

in response to PMC2726:

His brother transferred to K State and will sit out w/ 2 years eligibility. BB will sit out and have 3 yrs.

He is a good kid. Outstanding values. Helped lead Jon Crompton to Christ. I completely understand if with all the drama he has endured(Kiffin, injury, etc) he could be homesick and will go home. I for one wish him well.

TommyJack writes:

Gee, I guess the local scribes and talking heads will hang this on CDD.

voltan writes:

A suspicious mind might think LK might have something on BB regarding his recruitment and holding it over his head to transfer to USC. I hope not. Hopfully CDD and BB work this out

Pullingguard writes:

Dooley said this week there would always be some fallout when changes occured in staff's.. With BB leaving is not much surprise after his brother left Miami for Kansas State... That is probably where Brice will end up.. The Vols have a loaded backfield potential so everyone just has to step up...If Brown was not happy as Vol its best he moved on for himself and team.

thevoice writes:

in response to naffy:

I don't think you'll last very long on here, pal.

utclassof1992 writes:

He wants to go play with his brother at KSU. Good luck to him! We already have a stable of runners. This will not hurt too much.

99gator writes:

what in the blue hell?

i said at the time he was recruited that i would avoid him like the plague, but i'm still stunned by this.

82cat writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Ditto!

Way overated. He was a a little above average back nothing special. Seems like every game I watched last year a team had a freshman back that awlays made me question how BB was supposed to be the best.

The kid at Bama is head and shoulders better.

Just got a feeling his leaving may be best, besides he had about 3 to 4 concussions last year and you wont last long as a RB with that problem.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to naffy:

Blow it out your #%%!

iadvol writes:

Dooley kind of reminds me of Marty Schottenheimer i.e. my way or the highway. I like the discipline but it may be over the top for prima donas aka Bryce Brown.

cemeadows3 writes:

Does anyone know if he's attending classes or not...?

straightshooter writes:

Wait till we hear all of the circumstances! Was he attending class? Is he in off campus trouble,testing postive for drugs etc.? Shame if he is permanently gone but in reality he never showed flashes of the greatness talked about him coming in. Had plenty of chances. No great breakout speed, no great tackle busting power and no great moves. Every very good back has one or more of these attributes. He never finished runs like Hardesty did either. He didn't look to be even the shadow of bama's two backs. Anyway still would be a loss as you can't have too much depth in the backfield.

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

This is Brown's loss, not so much the Vols. We have a nice stable of running backs to fill the void he leaves behind. He could have been a special back for the Vols, but now the door has been opened up for the other RBs in the program. We will be just fine.

utvolnatl writes:

Let's not forget about Toney Williams who did very well in last year's spring game and then had acl before the season. He is a stud who can run between the tackles. I watched him four years here in ATL. He has four years left after last year's RS.

ctownvol writes:

Two words: Toney Williams.

vestc#256986 writes:

Hope he gets his personal issues straightened out but I didn't see anything special in him last year. He didn't show the talent that Hardesty did as a freshman. I think Poole is the next Travis Henry minus the baggage or lack of brain. Looking forward to Toney as well and I think the back we got out of GA this year will be as good as BB

newportvol writes:

if we choose not to release him.. Or say he cant go to any sec school or usc and he does doesnt he have to sit out for 2 yrs?

utvolz#637682 writes:

in response to naffy:

Shut up you doof!

92volalum writes:

oh well more talent we have to replace... anyway you spin it losing the num 1 recruit overrated or not will make coach discuss it on recruiting trips.. instead of selling the vols..

GBO..

tlallman writes:

Wish him well. He is a good kid who has decided he wants to play with his brother. He needs a year off to mature, and get the concussion problems behind him. Cut him some slack. We will be okay at running back.

thevoice writes:

in response to jmr68ut:

Probably not a bad assessment.

mdvol writes:

Guys, I've worn the orange colored glasses in the past and I've been critical in the past too. I sense a love fest with Dooley that I cannot understand. He was 17-20 at LaTech. His new D-coordinator is a stretch with no SEC background or ties to southern recruiting. Yes, he closed a couple of nice recruits for NSD but overall he targets lesser talent. LaTech level. I don't care how good he sounds wearing a necktie or who his daddy is. We are a lot closer to this thing crashing down than playing for a SEC championship.

thevoice writes:

in response to mdvol:

Probably not a bad assessment either.

tlallman writes:

in response to naffy:

Never!

jman33163 writes:

I am simply stunned at peoples reaction to this. Honestly, if he doesn't want to be here, he should leave. Better now than after taking reps from players that are going to bleed Orange!

Go Big Orange!!!!

thevoice writes:

The next person to leave the program may be Mike Hamilton.

DennisVols writes:

I am about tired of the stories concerning those who do not want to be a Volunteer. With the stable of running backs currently at UT and those coming in as freshmen we really don’t need Brown as much as some would have you to think. The cupboard is far from bare.
Don’t get me wrong I am not knocking his talent, he is all that, but in the end if he doesn’t want to be at UT my one bit of advice is “don’t let the door hit you in the behind on the way out.”
All the talk about “committed to making UT champions again” that last coach made, players who UT made a commitment to provide a free education to, housing, meals (a deal by the way that is far better than any other scholarship offer a non-athlete will get) and the student-athlete can just de-commit from their part without giving it much thought.
Mr. Brown let me inform you this. UT will survive without you. If you don’t want to be part of one of the greatest universities and football programs in the country then go. Show any future employer (be it sports or private business) how easy it is for you to walk away, your lack of dedication. If your commitment to this university was that shallow then you are doing us a favor by your leaving. If your attraction to UT was Lame Kitten, rather than all the great qualities UT has to offer, then you were swayed by a lire, cheater, and immature punk.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols !!!

MoralVictory writes:

Can't bring back Kiffin you nutjob...he dumped YOU..not the other way around Brice Brown is, was, and always will be a spoiled BRAT..let his spiritual advisor figure this out...With the Bag man Orgeron gone Brice was losing weight and without the "hostesses" he was turning blue fixin to explode. His transfer is for his health

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

in response to 99gator:

what in the blue hell?

Here we go again... So, you think you were right and knew it all along? Go see the comment I just wrote on the basketball article about your ability to see the future. Thanks once again, Miss Cleo, the VolNation would be nothing without your foresight. Can you also read minds?

DRORANGELOVE writes:

It amazes me that any true Vol fan with class or character could want Lane Kiffin and Ed Orangutan back after what they pulled.
I can understand them leaving for USC. They had roots there, LA definitely has more to offer as far as things to do, the ocean, etc.
But what I find extremely offensive is that UT paid these men very well, gave them a lucrative recruiting budget to recruit players for Tennessee and then they try to get those recruits to leave Tennessee and go elsewhere.
That shows me these men have absolutely no class or integrity and will do whatever it takes to win. You can rest assured USC will be in trouble with the NCAA and both of these clowns will be gone and out of college football completely within the next 7 years.

MoralVictory writes:

Wait till Coach Dooley's discipline requires John Brown to get out of bed every day..Big John didn't bargain for that..He'll star in the next big Movie.."Blindsided"

VOL03_NC writes:

Doesnt sound like BB is leaving the Vols, but the Vols are letting go of BB. If he stays thats great and he will be praised. If he goes...Bryce who?

9krpms writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

lol, there are nicer ways to put it, but yeah I agree that Trent Richardson is the real deal and much better than Bryce. Although, I still think Bryce would be a very good back for UT, just not amazing like Richardson will be for Bama.

peyton4prez writes:

running backs are a dime a dozen. as many of you have pointed out alabama has a backup to there heisman trophey winner who is as good if not better. i am fine with tauren poole being the guy cause that kid has something to prove and prove he will

borovol1956 writes:

Kiffin probably told BB he was a star-in-waiting. Dooley probably told him he would have to earn stardom, much like Kiffin told players when he became coach. Brown probably thought he was a star when he showed up.

99gator writes:

in response to PoochPuntOn3rdDown:

i know. i didn't see the reemergence of tennessee under lane kiffin.

he's really got it rolling at tennessee.