For Ohio, tough play no funny Bone

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Tennessee junior Josh Bone had played two minutes over the past 11 games entering Saturday's game.

Once on the court, Bone knew what to do, sinking a 3-pointer one minute after substituting in and playing shutdown defense the 10 minutes he was in on the Vols' 83-68 win over Ohio in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Tennessee (27-8) advances to the Sweet 16 to play the winner of today's Georgia Tech-Ohio State game on Friday in St. Louis.

The Vols' bench figures to be a factor there, too, just as it was Saturday by out-scoring the Bobcats' bench 28-0.

"I just went with what has been getting the job done for us all year, and that's having confidence in our bench,'' UT coach Bruce Pearl said. "I trusted Josh, and Josh had stayed ready. I felt we needed a tough guy.

"Maybe I'm the bonehead for not playing him more.''

Bone has spent most all of the past 1 1/2 months emulating opponents' star guards on the scout team, working hard despite seldom getting any work with the regular rotation.

"That's the way my parents raised me, not to quit and to stay ready,'' said Bone, who was instrumental in tearlier season wins over Kansas and Ole Miss. "I'm not going to get down on myself and hang my head.

"Coach told me before yesterday's walk-through to be ready and to play hard.''

Pearl said the more he looked at Ohio's backcourt, with D.J. Cooper and Armon Bassett both boasting point guard skills, the more sense it made to play Bone.

"Cameron (Tatum) has been playing well, but he's been playing two positions, behind J.P. Prince (at the three) and behind Scotty (Hopson) at the two,'' Pearl said. "In a day-and-a-half to prepare, that's hard to do when you've got different matchups.''

Bone scored seven points while Tatum came off the bench to score nine, and Steven Pearl added six.

Fight Like Brothers: The cameras were there to catch it: Wayne Chism and Prince got animated with one another in the second half after an on-court disagreement.

"That's my roommate, and Wayne's like my brother, and we were just settling something real quick,'' Prince said. "It looked worse than it was.''

Chism laughed about it in the locker room.

"I told J.P. he had to come and get the ball,'' Chism said. "We were just on a different page.

"J.P. and me are tight, and we've known each other since we were little.''

No Plan B: When UT shut down Cooper and Bassett, the Bobcats didn't have a viable alternative, other than forward Tommy Freeman, who scored a game-high 23 points.

Post players Kenneth van Kempen and DeVaughn Washington were a combined 7-for-20 from the field. That was a significant comedown from their shooting against Georgetown (8-for-14).

"Ohio's bigs weren't good enough to take advantage of our coverage," Pearl said. "Our game plan was to make guys beat us that had not been put in that position all season long."

Orange Slices: Saturday marked Chism's ninth NCAA tournament game, breaking the UT record shared by Chris Lofton, JaJuan Smith, Dale Ellis and Steve Ray. ... Maze's nine assists matched his career high. ... UT improved to 15-18 all-time in NCAA tournament games. ... The Vols are 16-2 this season when Prince scores in double figures. ... UT's 27 wins are the second-highest single-season total in the program's history (31, 2007-08). ... Pearl is 7-4 in NCAA tournament games with the Vols.

John Adams contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

agohn writes:

This dude knows shut-down defense. Way to go Josh. Take it to your next opponent. Maybe we can repay Ohio State for 2 years ago. Believe in Orange...Go Vols!!

vol2youfall writes:

Surely Bone is a team player and plays whatever roll driven to succor the team. He's what I'd call a journey man. Big ups to BMaze, he played one helluva defensive game containing his man and directed the offense like a point guard should. I must admitt his floor generalship today is what we need through out the duration of this tournament. Continue to read the floor as you did today Maze. Go Vols

BillyVol writes:

What a team, What a team effort. Great coaching, and great playing. Lets take it to them in the sweet 16.

Glad to see Bone's game didn't atrophy with his long spell on the bench lately. He really gave us some good minutes today. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but it will be interesting to see whether next year's starting PG will be Bone or Goins. I suppose that might be a moot point if we wind up getting Selby after all.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to untimed_vol:

This moaning about Steven is stupid and old. I think if you knew so much, you would be the coach. Just enjoy the win and show support. And stop thinking you know so much. I am sure Steven would kill you 1 on 1.

eduardo writes:

WHY NOT US???!!!!

in response to untimed_vol:

There was a good deal of buzz on the board last week that we were back in on Selby. I couldn't say how accurate that is, but it was being said. You're right that it will probably be "PG by committee" unless we get Selby. Even so, unless he is the second coming of John Wall, he will probably be splitting minutes with the others. Except for Williams, the Vols will not have much experience in the front-court next year. They may well revert to the pressing, running, 3-point gunning style CBP has always preferred in the past. That would be a great style for a team with lots of depth and experience in the back-court.

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to untimed_vol:

Well dude, we just made the sweet 16 and all you can do is criticize players. Better analysts than you think he played pretty well today for what he is supposed to do...defense.

in response to untimed_vol:

Many of us think CBP's current thinking about playing a lot of guys is based on the fact that they used to play the fast-paced game as much as they could. He used a lot of players his first three years, when they actually played that way, and kept doing it with the slower teams last year and this, mostly because he didn't get enough consistency out of a smaller rotation. I think CBP will ALWAYS play a lot of players, almost no matter what style they use.

VolJunkie writes:

in response to untimed_vol:

It's no secret that a fast paced, high pressure defense (i.e. full court press) is CBP's preferred style. IMO, we will see it again sooner rather than later.

Go Vols!

VolJunkie writes:

in response to eduardo:

WHY NOT US???!!!!

Indeed ...

Go Vols!

in response to untimed_vol:

I've gotta say I was one of the ones who wanted CBP to shorten up the rotation a bit once he decided that this team couldn't press full-court on a routine basis. My thought was that a half-court offense required playing your best players together more to develop more cohesion and better execution. Precise offensive execution is not quite as important if a team is mostly playing in the open court. This team isn't as much fun to watch as his first two, but it sure is fun watching them WIN!

in response to VolJunkie:

Go Vols!

I have a feeling we will see a LOT of it next year unless Williams and Hall really improve a lot on offense. All of our scorers will be perimeter players. Even Harris and Maymon are said to be more comfortable on the perimeter.

Been fun chatting with everyone, but I'm off to bed. All this ball today has about worn this old man out! Off for sweet dreams about the Sweet Sixteen! See y'all tomorrow!

VolWoman writes:

Josh, way to keep your attitude and work ethic in the right place. We got to the Sweet Sixteen at a minimum and you contributed to that. I'm very happy for you.

Volumnus writes:

Bone: underated, underplayed and underappreicated.

GBO!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to untimed_vol:

Best to ignore people like that. The readers here don't like to hear anything negative, even if it is true - I learned that the hard way.

I have no problem with someone tellin it like it is. Pearl did play a bad game yesterday, fact. But we still won. I think Goins played a bad game also. Hopefully we will play a great game next week and advance.

TLepage writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Did anyone else notice pearl's weak drive and reverse layup..... Subsequent to that he went to the bench and got chewed-out by Bruce for two minutes.... I thought that was pretty funny....

Must be some awfully sensitive people making these decisions, but for the life of me I can't imagine what there was in untimed_vol's posts that required hiding them from tender eyes!