Pad-popping time arrives for Vols

Players, coaches get to know each other

When the Tennessee football team takes the field today, it's another step in the process.

Tennessee's first practice in pads will allow coaches and players to better know each other, much like UT's first team meeting under new coach Derek Dooley or its first conditioning drill with a new coaching staff.

"The real guys are going to show up when you're in pads," offensive lineman Cody Pope said.

Yet that's only one important date on the calendar. Dooley isn't trying to fool his players. He's been quite frank: this team won't be a team until it faces adversity, i.e. lose a game.

"These coaches don't try to win us over," tailback David Oku said. "The funniest thing Coach Dooley said yet was 'I don't want you all to trust me. I have to earn that from you guys.'

"I think most guys are on board, but I think it's also a process that will take a while. I don't think it's going to get done real quick because I think it's being done in the right way, not so much of an outloud way like it was done last year."

Forgive receiver Gerald Jones if he's a bit jaded. The senior has had three head coaches during his UT career. He's in no mood for a pep talk from his newest boss.

"Just be themselves," Jones said. "Actually be here for us and get us better. That's all I really care about. I've had so many coaches I'm not really looking forward to relationships outside of football.

"I just want him to coach the hell out of me and I'm going to play the best I can and do everything I can for him."

UT's last staff was lauded for its practice intensity. Through two practices this spring, intensity hasn't been an issue even if things still feel a bit different than they did in practice three months ago.

"You can tell a difference," defensive tackle Montori Hughes said. "Intensity, you've got to keep it up. That doesn't change with coaches. The players have to keep bringing it.

"It isn't the same as the last coaches. They've got different ways of doing things, different ways of getting to the players and different ways of pumping the players up. I think the intensity is high, the same. We all want to win. That's the thing we do have in common."

Unlike UT's last staff, Dooley isn't citing team leaders in the opening weeks of his tenure. He's more concerned with his players knowing their assignments than leading the pack.

"It's a little early for that for me," Dooley said. ". . . I certainly expect some of the seniors that have had production to do that. The first thing they have to do is know what to do and how to do it before they can start affecting others."

Dooley is looking for consistent leaders. He and one of his most vocal players agree: coaches and players don't really get to know each other through team meetings or off-season workouts. The bond develops on the field during practice, scrimmages and games.

"It's different in between the lines," Jones said. "You actually see the real person come out."

Dooley said much the same after two practices last week: "You start understanding the personalities a little bit better and how to coach them."

Players and coaches aren't the only ones trying to get a feel for each other. UT's coaches also have to jell.

That could be a chore considering many haven't coached together before.

Dooley isn't trying to force the issue. There will be plenty of time for bonding during the countless meetings UT's coaches will have this year.

"I'm not a big 'take the coaches on a canoe trip (guy)'," Dooley said. "I'm with those guys enough. I want to be with my family when I go on a canoe trip. We're together 15 hours a day in a room. Enough."

Patience runs aplenty in Dooley's approach to team building. He's not trying to rush anything. He plans on being around way beyond the first practice in full pads.

"I'm still not going to know them until we put the pads on," Dooley said. "And I'm still not going to know them until we go play a game. And they're not going to know us (immediately).

". . . Everything's good right now. We haven't lost. We haven't played anybody. Rah rah. We're feeling good. That's easy.

"We'll get to know each other but it's going to take a good year."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolInIndy writes:

Get em guys

VolInIndy writes:

Yeah, I know my comment above wasn't profound but at least it wasn't a fifth grader bragging they were you know what.

Glad to hear Oku's statement. I was just wondering where he was especially after Brown bailed.

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

in response to VolInIndy:

I think w/ Brown bailing out, Oku sees OPPORTUNITY flashing before him. With all the rhetoric from the last HC about giving people chances based only on their performance, BBrown was the HC's baby. So, Brown bailed. He got to see life from the perspective of Hardesty last season (except he wasn't a SR), but he couldn't hang in there like Hardesty did.

I predict (for what it's worth) Poole the #1 w/ Oku somewhere in the mix doing some special things. Hopefully Toney Williams can get rollin' like he was last year. Rajaan redshirted maybe?

VolInIndy writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

I liked Creer's potential too before the last administration ran him off. At least his high school buddy stuck around or we would have been hurting for a deep threat last year.

I wonder how Creer will do at La Tech.

99gator writes:

running backs aren't the issue.

o-line
defensive front seven
qb

Cldvols1 writes:

Like Dr. Scholl's they be Gellin! I know it's Cheesy but catchy;) Go Vols!!!

nocleats writes:

I wanna see Cody Pope get a mean on and keep it there for the next 9 months,

nocleats writes:

in response to naffy:

no, but they do have a pair of your sisters panties in there dorm room.

MikeTheTiger writes:

Wow, this guy makes Saban seem like Seinfeld.

VOL03_NC writes:

I think it was nice to know that the players felt "played" with a lot of jibber jabber last year. Oku is the man.

OrangeVeins writes:

in response to VolInIndy:

I wonder how Creer will do at La Tech.

I miss Creer! He HAD potential....great potential!

iadvol writes:

in response to nocleats:

no, but they do have a pair of your sisters panties in there dorm room.

Correction nocleats it was his mom's panties in the dorm room. the same exact pair she wore 25 years ago at Last Lap.

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to iadvol:

No,those wasnt naffys moms panties,they were Naffys panties in the dorm room,he just couldnt remember where he left them.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to naffy:

Are you offering them your pink jersey?

everybodyhateskiff writes:

I'm tired of all the talk. Let's just get out there and play some tennessee football the way it's supposed to be played. GO BIG ORANGE!

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to orangeblood5:

Dooley's just all business. At least he'll look you straight in the eyes. The last coach would never do that. I tell you his demeanor reminds me more and more of Saban. May come off as an SOB but he is going to demand execution and commitment. I'll take professionalism over personality and hype anyday. By the way Bryant and Neyland were not real personable either. Of course if he doesn't win, that personality will grow old fast. I still say 8-4 next year.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to orangeblood5:

Yeah he does. I don't know if he's playing politics behind the scenes or what, but he sure isn't trying to get the fan base excited. If he can't win games right away then his "wet rag" personality is going to hurt him (and ticket sales). I'm not saying that he isn't a good coach (won't figure that out until Sept 11), but he sure isn't doing himself any favors treating the media like he's a place holder for whoever UT is going to hire in 2011.

Of course, if he comes out and we go 8-4 he'll be regarded as a genius. I hope he's a genius.

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

CDD actually isn't a wet rag at all.

He's alot like Nick Satan...VERY intense and totally focused on taking care of business.

It's very early in his process but as the weeks go on he'll ratchet things up for both his staff and the players and if a butt needs chewing he'll jump fast and get things straightened out fast because he'll demand perfection, consistency and execution from players and his staff.

Talk is just talk and meaningless BS most of the time and CDD doesn't believe in cheap talk...he wants the results to do the talking for everyone involved in our Tennessee Vols program.

I'd love more news and information to read and talk about as a fan but I'd rather that CDD, the coaches and players stay 100% totally focused on the business of learning all the new systems and plays than to have any distractions that will slow their progress down.

We're already very shorthanded on depth and we have a VERY tough schedule this season to battle through so the better that ALL the players knows everything then the better our Vols warriors will fight every game.

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Good article...Thanks

Docrok writes:

in response to 99gator:

running backs aren't the issue.

o-line
defensive front seven
qb

O-line, QB and Defensive Tackles are the question marks. Just because they will be different doesnt mean they will be an issue. And our Ends will wreak havoc next year, and our LBs will have played, nearly all of them!

nocleats writes:

in response to Docrok:

Agree on the question, however; Depth at Oline and Dtackle IS an issue.

Cldvols1 writes:

Here's run down of how I think the 2010 season may play out, again just my opinion!
2010 SCHEDULE
Sept. 4 UT Martin-A big win to get started
Sept. 11 Oregon-UO's w/o Massoli, Vols are 2-0
Sept. 18 Florida-Very close game, UF by 3
Sept. 25 UAB-Vols regroup are now 3-1
Oct. 2 at LSU-Another tough one, LSU by 1
Oct. 9 at Georgia-Vols win b/n the hedges
Oct. 23 Alabama-Like last year Bama in final sec
Oct. 30 at South Carolina-CDD upsets CSS
Nov. 6 at Memphis-UT nuff said
Nov. 13 Mississippi-No McCluster=Vols win
Nov. 20 at Vanderbilt-History repeats itself, UT
Nov. 27 Kentucky-KY's pizzed, I like UT@home
Dec. 4 SEC Championship (Atl.)
I predict 9-3, maybe a loss for one of those wins. Vols will finish 9-3/8-4..I hope!:)

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

CDD actually isn't a wet rag at all.

GO BIG ORANGE !!!

Yeah, what he said. GBO!!

abnermc writes:

in response to 99gator:

running backs aren't the issue.

o-line
defensive front seven
qb

Tn. 63
Fl. 3
bet on it

GeneralNeylandsReturn writes:

And he has already outright lied to the media and fans on the Warren issue - maybe smart for a courtroom but not smart for building trust in a very fractured fan base...just saying

GeneralNeylandsReturn writes:

We gave the other coach a pass on everything, and outside of a couple of comments from Jan Simek, there were no consequences for anything...don't make the same mistakes again.

He is the coach the adminstration hired and I hope he is successful, but don't be blind and just drink the Koolaid (Lane Kiffin/Kevin O'Neil) - expect honesty, integrity along with passion, and emotional control (I fear and observe a lack of this latter characteristic in Dooley; and I hope I am mistaken).

Popular charisma with a broad range of fans and media may not be a requisite for success, but when combined with great coaching it has proven to be a very successful formula - I don't see that with this guy yet. Time will tell, but reasonable critique is not "Tennessee Hating" - unreasonalbe critique (Foolmore for example) is Tennessee Hating IMHO and all too prevelant on here.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Good post Justsayn,

I have predicted 8 & 4 as well and are taking bets, Go Vols!

CDD is old school with new ideas and game plan. Neyland & Bryant used their dry personality during an Era of no 24/7 sports and internet.

This team needs to take all the coaching changes, BS and use it as an attitude to be HARD NOSE and HARD HITTING! I think that is what we are reading and hearing from our Players.

IMO CDD will be very good at coaching the guys up, game planning, X's and O's! That will go a long way in winning games, thus 8 & 4 with current talent. Then it's the recruiting war of 2011 & 2012 that will determine if the Vols are competing for a championship again!

GO VOLS

Volunatic writes:

in response to GeneralNeylandsReturn:

How did Dooley lie to the media and fans about Warren?

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Is it a done deal that Brown is gone?

VolinCalif writes:

Oct. 23 Alabama-Like last year Bama in final sec
Oct. 30 at South Carolina-CDD upsets CSS
Nov. 6 at Memphis-UT nuff said
Nov. 13 Mississippi-No McCluster=Vols win
Nov. 20 at Vanderbilt-History repeats itself, UT
Nov. 27 Kentucky-KY's pizzed, I like UT@home
Dec. 4 SEC Championship (Atl.)

I like what you are saying, but I think the Vols will pick off one of the top 3 in the SEC. The one that scares me is USCe. CSS is still a super coach and he's gotten a lot more talent than when he first got to SC. But 8/4 is what I'd say and that would be great.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

That would be nice VinC. I was a little apprehensive on the USC pick as well. 9-3 at best or 7-5 at worst so your 8-4 splits the difference...I'd take that. AVinGA if you were all Vol you wouldn't make the prediction you did. Or maybe you're a closet Dawg hiding behind orange doors! GBO all day!!!

Pompey writes:

in response to orangeblood5:

I don't care about personality....I am waiting to see killer instinct!

jesusvol4 writes:

I have no way of assessing this team at this point. Mainly because of all the holes to be filled on the offensive line. The defense is really up in the air as to what to expect. Mainly because of all the new faces and a different philosophy. I'm choosing to just ride this out and enjoy it the best I can. Go VOLS!!!

69vol08 writes:

Bottom line is...we just don't know yet. Give them (players and coaches) support and time to develop. We will see where we are a year from now...a season down and a 2nd recruiting class...but most likely with be 2-3 years before 7~9 wins. I hope I am wrong, but we will be lucky to get 6 wins and a bowl next year.

in response to jesusvol4:

That's pretty much where I am right now. I am a lifelong Vol fan, but I also try to be realistic about it. I have no idea what our record will be next year, whether CDD is the final answer to our coaching needs, or how long it will be before the team is nearer the top than the bottom of the league. I'm just going to look for all the positives I can find and try not to render any premature judgments. I do think CDD is a good off-the-field representative of the school and the program. We will all find out at about the same time, and in due time, what kind of coach and program builder he is. As a fan, I will always hope for the best and try to accept what I get.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to naffy:

yes the ver y same color as your underwear except without the brown smear

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to abnermc:

Tn. 63
Fl. 3
bet on it

So if that score is any closer, will that be a Moral Victory for UF??

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

I'm pretty shocked that the "K" word wasn't used in this entire article...especially given so many opportunities. Thanks for listening, Hooker.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Last time I saw one of your rants its was something to the effect that you were turning in your tickets? Why still here moaning?
1) Wrong, timing was tough but Coach Dooley moved up the coaching ranks from a 3.0 job to a 8.5 job. Your mancrush on wonder boy is still showing.
2) It was not wonder boy's class (he left), it was Tennessees. Dooley has not signed anyone for next season, that happens in 2011 after some of the kids change their minds a 2 or 3 times. He will recruit fine, just like he did last year at UT and how he did as recruiting coordinator at LSU.
3) A complete distortion of the facts. If you ever had any class or integrity, it is now gone with this yarn. Please provide a list of the former players who have been disassociated from the team.
4) Brown was a highly rated recruit. He chose to move on for his own reasons. His loss is not 'devasting'. We have other good running backs. By the way, Luke Stocker a 3 start recruit has and will be a better college player than young Mr.Brown. Concerning your hatred of Coach Dooley, Dooley is spelled D o o l e y. Saban is spelled S a b a n. You are the only person who seems to think that they are one and the same. One is from the south. The other is from the north. One is the new head football coach at UT (just kills your soul, doesn't it) and the other is the football coach at Bama. Also, I am sure that Bama is glad that you have given the okay for them to keep Coach Saban. That would have been devastating to their program if you had not acquiesced to this.

Lastly, the poison that you spew about a coach who has yet to have a team run through the 'T" is beyond any rational observations made by pretty much anyone except for the haters and trolls who sometimes populate this board. You must be a very unhappy individual.

BigOrangeBill writes:

Wouldn't it be great...if we could just discuss football and basketball, etc., here and quit blasting the coaches, players, KNS and each other? It's getting hard to read these posts without getting depressed. Maybe I'm just too old... But I remember the time when everybody got behind the coaches and teams...and even, on bowl days, etc., got behind the other SEC teams. Now it seems like half the posts are just pure poison. Sad.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

44- you have to let CPF go and support your team. Give CDD a chance. He sold a top ten class to the high school kids and he hired a great Vol in Chuck Smith. Are you a Tennessee fan? GBO!!

vols2#227315 writes:

time for Doodley Squat and Hamilton to go. Get a real coach and a AD.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Actually...you are wrong on a number of issues:

1) Dooley DID bolt on his job at La Tech in a fashion very similar to LK. It bothered me at the time and it bothers me now. You can't white wash his move or say that La Tech didn't expect to keep him because the kids that had committed to him were expecting him to be there. Dooley abandoned La Tech in the exact way that Kiffin abandoned our team. If you hate Kiffin for his decision to bolt for his dream job, then you can't be a hypocrite and defend Dooley's decision.

2) Dooley never recruited last year for UT. He wasn't brought into the program until January 15, 2010...but I get what you're saying. Still, you can't attribute all of Kiffin's recruits to the University of Tennessee and then turn around and say that Dooley did a great job recruiting. The truth is that Kiffin did do a fantastic job of getting mid-term enrollees on campus and a lot of them were high ranking prospects. Dooley did a great job of holding the class together and pulling in some high ranking prospects of his own. Credit for UT's top 10 class should go to both men.

3) Dooley did run off former players...but only on one occasion, so Biggunzz didn't COMPLETELY distort the facts. He did mess with a UT tradition and his unwillingness to preserve UT's open-door policy towards former players is a bit disappointing.

4) I agree that Brown's loss was not devastating. As for whether Luke Stocker will be a "better" player...that's yet to be seen. Stocker was a junior and Brown was a freshman. You can't expect Brown not to develop as a player and assuming that he will always be subpar is ridiculous.

Finally, while I don't share Biggunzz hatred of Dooley, it could be fairly stated that your LOVE of a coach who has yet to have a team run through the "T" is just as beyond rational as Biggunzz hatred for him.

jimr07 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I vote that you are just stupid.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Gunzz- Why are you so much on Dooley's azz? I for one do want to hear your opinion and enjoy most of what you have to say. You have every right to be on here as I or anyone else. That being said, you mentioned that until Dooley won, you won't be on his wagon yet. Well I've got news for you. It may be a while. We will not win any time soon.(if you are talking winning season) We lost our whole offensive line, our top 2 running backs, our top d-linemen, our top 2 d-backs, our "only" quarterback, and most of our coaching staff. It takes at least a year just to get used to coaching schemes, much less have NO experience in the most crucial positions. I read a book on Peyton and he said he was the seventh qb when he got here. I didn't even know we would have that many qb's. My point is I don't care how good of a coach you are, you can't win under those circumstances in this league. Plain and simple! Not Saban, not Meyer(and we will see that this year with a new qb at Flo), not Miles , not Bear Bryant. It won't happen. We will not have a winning season this year and maybe next year also. Without a proven qb in this league is tough. We saw how long it took a #5 qb out of high school to make it. We don't have anyone close. Do we have talented qb's? Yes very much so, but they will have to develop. Every team this year is going to stack the line and make our "rookie" qb beat them. It's gonna be ugly. Get on the Dooley bus though and watch for awhile and help keep the wheels on it and I think you will be extremely happy in 3 years.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to ArkyVol73:

One more thing gunzz- I like the fact Dooley wants a phone call before anyone shows up at practice in their big ole Hummer interrupting practice. Don't you think 18 and 19 year old kids will be "star struck". Manning Lewis, Stallworth, any of them. He's trying to teach and not get side tracked by a side show. I think it shows awareness and looking ahead, and I don't think anyone would be offended by his request.

easleychuck writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

Actually...you are wrong on a number of issues:

Just so you know, I disagree with the majority of your posts, also.

1) Never complained about wonderboy's exit. He left for his dream. Dooley moved from CEO of 200 man shop to CEO of a 10,000 person shop with an increase in salary 6 fold or more. I am not a hyprocrite and neither are they.

2) You are wrong, obviously so, Dooley did recruit at UT, and strongly at LSU.
You said as much when you refer to him
pulling him recruits of his own.

3) Who has been run-off? The policy changed about attending practice. Non-issue that was created by a media person who felt left out of the cool club.

4) Subpar is your word and, yes, you are ridiculous for bringing it up. Stocker is an all SEC caliber player. Brown left and nobody's devastated by it.

When you jump in and beome a helper please stay on subject.

Lastly, you used 'LOVE' to incite a response. You get one....It is not love...it is that I am too smart for you and posters like biggunzz, in that, I don't criticize someone before they have actually played a game. That's called common sense and nothing more.

Coach Dooley is the head coach at UT. Get used to it, and get over the hire.

jsmoky writes:

I agree with a lot of what i am reading here. I also disagree with some of it. It's a wait and see game right now. We all have our opinions and should respect the opinions of others. Let's just hope for the best that we can get out of what we have to work with this year. Give the coach a chance to get the team ready and support the team by showing up on game day to cheer them on. Only wish i could be there more.

bigfogg writes:

I was wondering if anyone knew of any players that have been told their services were no longer needed. Scholarship or Non scholarship players.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Just so you know, I disagree with the majority of your posts, also.

2) You are wrong, obviously so, Dooley did recruit at UT, and strongly at LSU.
You said as much when you refer to him
pulling him recruits of his own.

When you jump in and beome a helper please stay on subject.

Coach Dooley is the head coach at UT. Get used to it, and get over the hire.

If Dooley was hired on Jan. 15, 2010...how did he recruit for us in 2009 (which would be last year)? I didn't disagree with the fact that Dooley recruited for the University of Tennessee...I disagreed with your statement that he recruited for us LAST YEAR. I assumed that you meant: LAST RECRUITING SEASON...but now I'm not so sure. Also, go back and look at my post...did I even mention LSU?

As for allowing Dooley to go without criticism...the only things I've criticized him for his 1) his handling of the former players/practice incident and 2) his inability to use the media to his advantage. I am suspect of his ability to coach this team to championship seasons, but that isn't criticism. Nor do I fall all over him because he has a southern accent and uses words like "character" and "tradition." I disagree with posters like Biggunzz that hate the guy, but I'm not going to just buy into a song and dance like you seem willing to because he says the "right" things.

As for Brown, here is what you said: "By the way, Luke Stocker a 3 start recruit has and will be a better college player than young Mr.Brown." Once again, your assumption (which you mistake for intelligence) is based off of limited information. You have no idea how well BB will do with his college career and comparing his future career with Luke Stocker's present career is RIDICULOUS.

As for Dooley being the coach...I guess we'll both just have to wait and see about that. Honestly, I hope he does well. I'm a Dooley skeptic, not a Dooley hater. I hope he wins and if he does, I'll be the first one to admit I was wrong, but until I have the information in front of me...I'm not going to get excited.

Oh and if you don't want "helpers" to point out your mistakes, stop posting on a public forum.