Receivers have secondary on run

Ask receiver Denarius Moore about Tennessee's revamped secondary and he's not afraid to pay it a compliment.

The senior sees young players like Darren Myles and Eric Gordon, as well as past contributors like Anthony Anderson, Janzen Jackson and Stephaun Raines working hard to replace departed standouts Eric Berry and Dennis Rogan, who are off to the NFL draft.

"We see a lot of folks are gone," Moore said. "Then we also see a lot of younger guys trying to step up. It should be pretty straight back there in the secondary."

But don't mistake Moore's compliment for admitting defeat.

"We always get the better of them but they still give us a little challenge," Moore joked.

If that's true, some rare consistency is the reason, especially for a program that has had three head coaches in little more than two years.

Moore said UT's quarterbacks and receivers have developed better chemistry early in spring practice than they had in past years. That's because the Vols are running a passing attack similar to the one they ran last year under offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, who was retained by coach Derek Dooley.

The only issue for UT's offensive players is some new terminology.

"It's learning the new names to the same plays that we had last year. That's basically what's getting to us," Moore said.

I'm Good: Austin Johnson said he never had any gripes about being moved from fullback to linebacker in January.

"My first response was I'll do what the team needs, and that's what I'll do," the junior said. "To be honest, I wasn't upset at all. God has a plan for me and that's his plan. I was willing to move and I'm loving the move right now."

Johnson is getting more practice snaps than most newcomers would expect because of injuries to other UT linebackers. He's regularly one of the Vols' two first-team middle linebackers, along with Nigel Mitchell-Thornton.

Yet it's actually one of those injured Vols, Nick Reveiz, who is overcoming a knee injury suffered last fall, that is serving as Johnson's mentor.

"I just try to get on Nick all the time to come watch film with me and help me out because with him there, he really pushes me and helps me learn it quickly," Johnson said. "That's my main focus."

Practice Report: As usual, Dooley was tight-lipped when asked to single out players that are making an early impression in spring camp.

"Nobody is performing to their capacity right now and it's because they don't know everything to do," Dooley said. "It's not natural. It's not instinct. Until we get to that point, we don't know how good they are."

Dooley said there haven't been a lot of mental mistakes by the Vols, but there's been hesitancy as they learn a new system.

Green Guys: Dooley said UT's quarterback will continue to wear green, non-contact jerseys even as the Vols amp up contact deeper into spring practice. Dooley said the key for UT's quarterbacks is to simulate contact properly.

"As long as the quarterbacks are playing like they are live, then they'll be able to go ahead and hold the muster when they do get hit," Dooley said, "but I'd rather not get the quarterbacks hurt."

No News: Dooley said there is no news on sophomore tailback Bryce Brown, who told Dooley before spring camp opened that he wouldn't be participating in practice. There has been widespread speculation that Brown will transfer.

Kansas State, where his brother plays, and Southern California, where former UT coach Lane Kiffin is the head coach, are possible destinations.

Injury Report: Defensive end Chris Walker (back) was in an orange jersey and didn't look limited for the open portion of Tuesday's practice.

Defensive end Ben Martin was still wearing a red, non-contact jersey. Tight end Daniel Adderley (thumb) also was held out for much of practice, but was in full pads and ran on the sidelines.

Visitors: Two UT signees were in attendance: quarterback Nash Nance and receiver Da'Rick Rogers. UT offensive line prospect Alan Posey from Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., also was at practice.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

HallowedHill writes:

Go Vols!

joshvols writes:

with the combination of the guys coming in the fall and the established veterans already on the team, our receiving corps should be the best in the SEC if not the country. having those big guys on the edge should help our red zone and third down offense too, as it gives our quarterback, whoever he is, the confidence to just throw one or two up a game and let him go get it.

volsoutwest writes:

Sounds good, can't wait.

orangeismydream writes:

go vols cant wait for the season

imw8n4u writes:

I don't really know what to think of the green jerseys, maybe okay for Spring? Of course I don't want injuries, but I feel like we need to know they can stand tall and take the heat, especially given our questions at o-line. I can kind of see it boths ways though, what do you guys think?

coach799 writes:

Dooley is the smartest coach we've ever had in K-Town. Give him some time before questioning his methods. He will surprise some people with his success this season, imo. GBO!

BradleyJKinkaid writes:

Good question, and definately a fair question. I think (don't pretend to have first-hand knowledge) that overall it's standard practice especially this early and especially considering the amount of guys we have that are banged up.

Another angle that may not necessarily apply to you imw8n4u is that I can still sense when I read comments here that many people are still brainwashed by the amount of words previous HC used to create an impression about the previous program.

He was continuously framing in our minds (and any mind that happened to be listening) a perception. He talked a alot about not using no contact jerseys.

Sounds like they will ease into it this year to me. Probably just an overall wise move.

FWBVol writes:

I think CDD and Mike Hamilton should put a no USC condition on Bryce Brown transfering. If he wants to play for the former coach again, fine, but don't make it easy for him. For all we know Lame the Liar might have contacted Brown since he's been out west.

I'm not saying he has because I have no information source north of the Florida-Alabama state line, but given the way the former coach operates, nothing would surprise me.

OrangeVeins writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I wouldn't doubt it?!?!

Volsfan94 writes:

someone please tell me we won't be really horrible.

OrangeVeins writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

someone please tell me we won't be really horrible.

Hells no we won't...it will be an adventure, but I think we'll be fiiiine!

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

someone please tell me we won't be really horrible.

... it will be different. Anything different is good.

HollySpringsVOL writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

someone please tell me we won't be really horrible.

We will not be really horrible. We are a program that is reloading in places and rebuilding in others. Keep your expectations manageable and every thing will work out fine.

OrangePsyched writes:

We will get no respect from the national media and will probably be picked to finish 3rd or 4th by the coaches at media days in the fall. That said, I believe that we will exceed everyone's expectations and finish 8-4. Posey will sign with us in May and I believe that we will also have a young talented offensive line this year that will surprize us. GBO!

richvol writes:

If Boise State and TCU can win then Tennessee can certainly win enough to be respectable. You will never convince me that those squads have better talent than Tennessee does right now...and it's only going to get better. Dooley will get it done.

VOLinAthensGA writes:

O-line and the D-line are my concerns. The rest will fall into place as long as Nick R. comes back and stays healthy.

eefor10c writes:

Hook, did Coach Dooley answer your question or did you piggy back on someone else's question?

cloudodust writes:

Brown bought into Kiffin referencing him as the next Reggie Bush. I'd liken him to a mini Gerald Riggs,Jr at this point. Played way behind Hardesty, had a few nicks that kept him on the sidelines and really didn't show me a bust out attitude. Using Ingram at Alabama as a benchmark for SEC RB's and comparing Brown and Ingrams's freshman years, I saw nothing really special in Brown. This much I'll say : Brown elevated Poole and Oku to excel..JMO and GBO

GreeneCountyVol writes:

As to Bryce Brown. It would appear to me that whenever a player declined to participate in team activities, his scholarship would be null and void and he would be removed from the academic roll. Why would he be allowed to stay in school?

jdcdjc writes:

in response to joshvols:

We do have a great bunch of receivers, but our problem will be with the O-Line, one returning starter and hes not in camp. They have to give the Q-back time to complete his passes, the best receivers in the country can't catch if the Q-back don't have time to get the ball to them. Sure hope Dooley pulls a rabbit out of his cap on the O-line problem.

bigvol662004 writes:

Expect a 7-5 finish from this team and another possible return to the Chick-Fil_A or MAYBE head to the Independence Bowl. But, with good health, discipline, and a year under eveeryone's belt, watch out in 2011! Go Vols!

Brillovol writes:

in response to GreeneCountyVol:

David Climer said on the radio yesterday that it's likely we will see Bryce Brown back with the team by fall. Sounds unlikely to me, but I don't know his source.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Volsfan94:

someone please tell me we won't be really horrible.

Volsfan- If you're talking about this year, yes is gonna be brutal. Expect 7 guys on the line to stop the run and make a "rookie" qb beat you. It will be ugly for this year for sure and maybe next.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to bigvol662004:

I like your prediction bv. I picked em to go 8-4, 9-3 at best 7-5 at worst so I split the difference. I agree if they get comfortable with CDD's system and succeed lookout 2011/2012. Go Vols!!!

OrangePride writes:

Good article. A lot of news that is encouraging and well worth knowing. My hope is that Bryce really examines this decision and ultimately stays.....not just for UT but for him as well. I, like everyone else here, am anxious to see the O/W game. GO VOLS!

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to Cldvols1:

I hope your are right and I'm totally off base! Can't see it though. We lost our top 2 running backs, our whole offensive line, our linebacking crew, our 2 top defensive backs, our best d-lineman, our starting qb, our coaching staff. All that on a 7-6 team. Not gonna happen, I'm afraid.

tlallman writes:

Looking at the schedule, six wins would be a good job for this team. If they get 7 or 8 wins, then I will jump on the Dooley train. For now, it is wait and hope that these coaches can coach up and recruit.

GerryOP writes:

Green jerseys? Not in favor. Maybe OK for Spring ball. But Fall camp? No. It's pretty scary seeing the first hit a QB takes for the season is in the 1st game.

But Coach Dooley didn't ask me, so I'll defer to his judgement. {;>)

164 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to tlallman:

You are so right. The key is to have patience and get on board as you said. We won 7 games with a very veteran team and an easier schedule. Defense may win a game for us though. We hired one of the top defensive minds in the country. I trully believe he will be the best defensive coach we have ever had. He's in his 30's and already is one of the best in the land.

mrvol2u writes:

It is going to be a rough year. We have a tough schedule and are in a tough conference. When was the last time UT didn't play the defending Natl. Champs? However, I think we will play solid but really anything north of 500 would be a good season.

Regarding B. Brown, He is a class kid with a good attitude and work ethic. He is also a good student. Unfortunately, he is facing family pressures to move to KSU and play with his brother. From most indications, B. Brown wants to be at UT. His father wants him at KSU to play with his brother so the family can see them play. B. Brown is sorting out these issue so please allow this young man to figure out this situation and not make negative comments about him personally and about his ability.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to GreeneCountyVol:

A scholarship is a 1 year renewable contract for 4 years of education. Since Brown was in school for this semester, UT has to honor that.

The NCAA changed the 4 year contract years ago. That's how KY ran off 6 scholarship players in basketball last year to get all these one and done freshman playing now.

GO VOLS!

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

Yes he is in a tough situation. His family wants him closer to them and probably can't afford to see him play very often. On the other hand, he knows he will be the "guy" here; at least it's his to loose or keep. That's alot on your plate at 19.

Tennacious writes:

Horrible? As in 5-7 bad? Perhaps. Given the turnover of coaches, the lack of depth, and less-than-UT-standard talent.
If so, it should be the last and only time under seven wins in CDD's first contract (meaning first 5 seasons); if its not, he won't get a second contract. UT should never have losing seasons, not with its resources, facilities, brand recognition, etc. Ultimately, 5-7 got the Great Pumpkin fired.

tnsportsman writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

mrvols2u,

Agree 100% with you on Bryce Brown. He is a good kid, good student and good RB. He needs to do what is best for him and his family, I hope he stays.

IMO some are selling the VOLS short on this year. I really think we can go 8 & 4 because of better talent at QB, RB's, WR's, K and LB. IMO people are worried to much about OL and DL, I think the young OL players will do just fine and if the injury bug stays away they will hold their own.

I see this team better because of a coaching staff that will bring much better X's and O's and on the field coaching decisions. Secret Weapons, Chaney calling all plays and being a real OC. Wilcox having a wild and hard hitting defense as his MO backs up.

Only time will tell at this point, but I think it will be a fun and exciting year! LETS GO VOLNATION, WE ARE UT!

GO VOLS!

volover writes:

If BB does stay, which I hope he does, how will the team take it? I know when I played, if a guy sit out of practice for "no reason," then he was an outcast. I hope he prays hard and jumps on or off soon for the team's sake.

topgun writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

Amen!! GOVOLS!!

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Rich- When I was giving my opinion about this year's struggles I was mainly talking about depth issues. If we have a "key" player get a bad injury, it will be a very, very long football season.

ArkyVol73 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

I hear you Rich! I'm more excited about this coaching staff then I've been in probably 30 years. They're young. They're damn good. They are where they want to be in their careers at the time. It will take a couple of years and then hang on!

OTPVol writes:

in response to imw8n4u:

I think the first one with enough grit to say "Coach Dooley, I don't want to wear a green jersey.." will be our starting QB.

orangeman1 writes:

Why do people still find it becessary to bring Fulmer up in these discussion just to make negative comments about him? I'm assuming you were one of the fans that wanted him fired by the way you still go on about him not being a good coach. You got what you wanted. He hasnt been our coach in 2 years. And to answer your question, YES, Fulmer was successful without Cutcliff. I could list the top 25 finishes or mention the 2 SEC East titles in the 7 years Cutcliff was gone, but I'm sure you would make some excuse to not give Fulmer credit. Just remember Fulmer brought UT its only NT in our lifetime and many top 10 and top 25 finishes. I am grateful for all he's done for the university and like it or not, he will go down as one of the greatest coaches in UT history.
I also find it funny that you say " EVERYONE on this staff has proven themselves prior to coming here" Then in the very next sentence you exclude the head coach Dooley making excuses for why his record as a head coach isnt good. Just to be clear, I support Dooley and staff more than I did Kiffin, but I am not going to blindly stand behind everything a coach does like some of the "Lane Train and Fear the Kiffin" supporters. Dooley just hasnt given me much to either like or dislike what he's doing. I have a wait and see attitude and just hope he can coach with class and win at UT. I think 7-5 is reasonable expectations next year so we'll see if they live up to my expectations or not.

givehim6 writes:

in response to imw8n4u:

I'm with you about green jerseys and spring especially with a bunch of new QB's and a new coach. But by fall practice the green jerseys should go back in storage in 2008 that was Cromptons problem, when he was in a live game he still thought he had it on.

ozoney#235138 writes:

in response to coach799:

dooley isn't the smartest coach we've ever had in knoxville. the man that created the maxims, General Robert Neyland, is the smartest coach we've ever had in knoxville.

CoverOrange writes:

1. I'm confused. Are the no-contact jerseys red or green?

2. If Chaney is still coordinating the offense, why is the terminology changing?

3. If Bryce Brown comes back in the fall, would he be so far behind everyone else that he might redshirt?

RaineyVol writes:

Bryce is acting like the Brett Favre of Knox.. make up your mind.. you making everyone mad!!

tnsportsman writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

1. I'm confused. Are the no-contact jerseys red or green?

TurboFan

1. Green means NO TOUCH and Red is No Tackle or Block. The rehab guys can be in on a play but no Tackle or Block with a Red Jersey on.

2. CDD Offense terminology is different from Chaney but almost the same on similar pro-style offense. There is different terminology per coach, head coaches call.

3. If Bryce comes back he would be behind but just like the incoming freshmen. He would be OK in terms of catching up. Hope the other players understand if he does come back, TBD on that.

GO VOLS!

tennezz writes:

I hope we`re not expecting to much this year, we will be young and inexperienced at key positions! It may be 1 more year before we have a really good team! That being said...I hope I`m wrong!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Wow, you sure are on edge huh? You asked the question" Did Fulmer ever prove he was above average coach without Cutcliff. I answered you. I cant help you dont like the answer.
" And I bring Fulmer up on here because I have every damn right to. What are you gonna do about it?"
Good for you. I am going to respond on the message board tough guy. I have every right too. wah wah. Why are you stating the obvious to us. Most of us arent stupid fans and know that in every case the staff a coach assembles plays a key role in the success or failure of program. Fulmer made a bad decision with the Clawson hire. That is part of the reason he was let go, but dont sit there and make the statement that Fulmer was and average coach. Like you said, coaching is all about the staff and recruiting and for many years he had both and won alot of games. That is why he is a great, not average head coach. Even after Cutcliff he did a great job. Only 2 out of 17 years did he win less than 8 games. Bottom line is you made the " without Cutlcliff changing his diapers" statement and I get tired of people like you disrespecting the best coach UT has had in my lifetime. If you were just using him as an example of how staff is important that would be one thing, but thats not what you were doing and it is evident by the "diaper" comment. Next time, dont ask a question if you dont want an answer.

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to richvol:

I'm afraid they both have better talent, more stability, and an easier schedule. They will win more games than us in 2010 and probably 2011, but our day will come. Just because they don't have the tradition we do, doesn't mean they aren't better than us (now). I might not be able to convince you they have better talent, but you aren't facing reality. Sometime in the next couple of years I will agree with you.

TLepage writes:

in response to FWBVol:

good call... I too wouldn't be surprised if Lane has tampered with Brown in some capacity, but it wouldn't be Lane doing to tampering himself... He would get one of his monkeys/cronies to commit the actual act of tampering (i.e. Ed Orgeron)....

TLepage writes:

I'm not too concerned with the offense this year, with exception to QB.... Our o-line is going to be young, but should be okay.... And we are set at RB and WR.... I think that Chaney will do a fine job grooming one of these QBs to at least be a decent starter.... But I do have some concerns on defense.... We have a lot of holes to fill and limited depth... It should be interesting to see who ends up starting and what type of scheme we will be running this year.... All and all, it sounds like they are working hard and I look forward to the fall...