UT player pleads to shoplifting charge

Defense attorney Katherine Harp, and University of Tennessee football player Nyshier Oliver wait to enter a plea Tuesday morning.

Photo by J. Miles Cary

University of Tennessee football player Nyshier Oliver plead guilty to shoplifting a polo shirt from Dillard's at West Town Mall in court Tuesday morning.

Photo by J. Miles Cary // Buy this photo

When a University of Tennessee football player stood before the court bench Tuesday, all the Knox County judge saw was a thief.

“It appears there’s been no special consideration (afforded Nyshier Oliver),” General Sessions Court Judge Charles Cerny said Tuesday. “If you pick up new charges, there will be no special consideration as far as I’m concerned.”

Oliver, 18, pleaded guilty in Cerny’s court to shoplifting a brown polo shirt from Dillard’s in West Town Mall in November hours before a UT game. In a deal brokered by attorney Katherine Harp, who works for attorney Donald A. Bosch, Oliver received judicial diversion for his misdemeanor plea.

Cerny noted it is the same deal afforded all first-time shoplifters.

If Oliver stays out of trouble for one day short of a year, he can seek to have the case erased from his record.

Oliver is a redshirt freshman defensive back. After his arrest, then-coach Lane Kiffin opted to keep Oliver on the team roster, although he was not allowed to dress out during the Memphis game that followed the shoplifting arrest.

Security personnel nabbed Oliver as he tried to walk away from the store with the $110 polo shirt.

The teenager appeared nervous and a tad confused as he stood before Cerny.

“If you pick up new violations, how long will you serve in the county (jail)?” Cerny asked.

“I don’t know,” Oliver responded.

“Eleven months, 29 days,” Cerny said.

Most misdemeanors carry a maximum penalty of 11 months, 29 days in jail. Any crime netting a year or more in jail is a felony under Tennessee law.

Jamie Satterfield may be reached at 865-342-6308.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Major_Magilicutty writes:

Thanks KNS! You guys are really something!

cterblan writes:

On a gameday??? Really?

KENVOL writes:

Who pay $110.00 for a shirt. (Not Nyshier) or me. I just don't steal mine. Try Kohls.

finn writes:

This is old news and just finally made it through the courts. I hope everyone remembers that before starting to whine about how this is a direct result of CDD's losing WAC record last season. I'm not sure but I believe they are not related in anyway.

jimr07 writes:

in response to finn:

No, but there are those who will try. We have such positive fans.

boogimn3 writes:

Why is he still on the team?

That is a rhetorical question...I don't actually expect an answer.

Gumby#1381110 writes:

How stupid to steal a shirt! I haven't worn a shirt in years!

collegegrad writes:

Unfortunately, there are still a bunch of thugs on that team that should've been kicked off, expelled and behind bars. No, we can't even trust athletes to be positive role models anymore. Who can we trust?

golfballs03 writes:

how long before this is on the front page at ESPN? Or do they not care now that Kiffin is gone?

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Yep, KNS. Why did you fail to report on the players that had a farting contest in the press conference before the bowl game? j/k!

Volunatic writes:

"If he stays out of trouble, he can seek to have the arrest removed from his record."

Now wait just a minute here. Our former coach said Nyshier wasn't really arrested-- it was just an "incident" for which Nyshier was charged.

beef4davols writes:

Why word this article this way...This happened last year and ran it's course then. Not a "new" incident. "Staff" must mean Dave Hooker

us43137415#376444 writes:

Lay off, people..

The conclusion of a court case is NOT old news. It is NEW news, because there hadn't been a conclusion yet. Quit trying to write for the newspaper.

If the conclusion of the court case hadn't been reported, you'd all be on here whining about the KNS and a coverup.

So, let it go.. quit worrying about football right now, and stay focused on basketball (remember.. focus.. concentrate.. think.. BASKETBALL).

And the LADYKNOWSSPORTS poster, needs to take that joke back to the bar you got it from. Even Letterman's joke writers turned that one down. Gumby, you're hired on a trial basis..broaden your scope, though. That one wouldn't even get a chuckle outside Farragut.

CoverOrange writes:

He had to have a new shirt because Orgeron kept ripping it off of him.

Gumby#1381110 writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

Lay off, people..

Cool! Whats my starting salary? I've been out of work since Eddie Murphy left SNL.

parkloop writes:

in response to jimr07:

No, but there are those who will try. We have such positive fans.

Are you saying the guy shoplifted - I believe this is a crime - because of some competition loss??? And this criminal is still on the UT Team? And we're supposed to be fans of this type behaviour??

Why is this ciminal still on a UT Team?

NeylandWest writes:

in response to collegegrad:

Ourselves

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

Lay off, people..

Well, Excuuuuuuuuuse Me! In case you didn't realize it, that was directed to KNS, no one else. You can't take scarcasim directed to KNS?

OrangeVeins writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

Lay off, people..

You must work for KNS, seeing all those numbers in your SN? Dave, is that you? LoL! THAT wasn't a JOKE?

Gumby#1381110 writes:

I have this unusual urge to talk about football, hmmm, guess it will pass.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to Gumby#1381110:

Gumby, I loved Eddie on SNL! My favorite all time skits were...his James Brown "Hot Tub" and when "Buckwheat was shot" and Ted Koppel kept breaking in with more news about the shooting until Buckwheat was dead. Too funny! He did a really good Mr. Rogers too and of course, you, Gumby. Too bad he is not on SNL anymore. They sure could use him!

tnaseevol writes:

in response to Gumby#1381110:

I have this unusual urge to talk about football, hmmm, guess it will pass.

Go to the FB press conference before you let it pass!

Stepchild_nFL writes:

It is sad that these young men are expected to dress up for the Vol Walk but are unable to afford the clothing. They should recieve some kind of allowance for this.

willaustin writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He had to have a new shirt because Orgeron kept ripping it off of him.

HAHA there are some good comments on this one.. He probably just wanted to look really nice for the "ST" -wait for it- "wild-boys!" cheer...

tnaseevol writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

He doesn't like farting contests because he is such a 'little fart'

roloyo writes:

A $100 Polo, hmmm....at least he has good taste. Gotta look good, down in da hood

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

And who can forget Velvet Jones?

VolsFanSince2010 writes:

Poor media... they don't have enough access to get us real football stories... in MARCH!!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He had to have a new shirt because Orgeron kept ripping it off of him.

I'd rather have seen Ogreron rip off Oliver's shirt than his own. Uggggh!

Jazmin writes:

All I can say is that you would never see these antics from Pat Summitt's side of campus.

All athletes convicts of crimes, outside of minor traffic violations should lose their scholarships and be removed from their respective athletic teams. No questions.

Perhaps if our football program took a little advice from the Women's basketball program, there would be a higher graduate rate and more players being positive role models in the community.

But, I guess all those "rules" go out the window when it means more butts at Neyland during the fall, right?

tnaseevol writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

Those were definitely the 'good ole days' SNL cannot compare today to what it was 'back then'
Those were my favorites also, along with "Jane, you ignorant s-l-u-t"

I cannot believe KNS would not let me post s-l-u-t it was said on air over 25 years ago....is the KNS that much of a prude?

Jeeze...KNS....come into the 21st century

jimr07 writes:

in response to parkloop:

Why is this ciminal still on a UT Team?

I was referring to the people who will try to tie this to Dooley.

dirtmerchant writes:

The article ends by stating: "He remains on the UT roster as a redshirt."

Does nobody else see the irony here?!

justfine writes:

in response to Stepchild_nFL:

I hope this was sarcastic. If it wasn't, give me a break.

This guy should be off the team. Fulmer and Kiffin were too willing to recruit and keep thugs. Hopefully, Dooley will bring more class to the team.

easleychuck writes:

in response to boogimn3:

Why is he still on the team?

That is a rhetorical question...I don't actually expect an answer.

I will offer my opinion on why he is still on the team. Crimes are judged by degrees. Stealing a shirt falls into the category, in my opinion, of beyond stupid but not worth ruining someone's life forever. The punishment should fit the crime. I don't know this kid from adam, but if he learns what he almost lost and goes forward to be a productive student and athlete then it is a good result for everybody concerned.

TommyJack writes:

Some of you mullets are sorry he didn't get 25 to life.

Volunatic writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Well said.

finn writes:

in response to parkloop:

Why is this ciminal still on a UT Team?

I believe this is what you call a misdemeanor. If you received a speaking ticket, would you henceforth label yourself a criminal? The kid made a mistake and broke the law but I'm not sure stealing a shirt merits the death penalty.

goscots56 writes:

in response to orangeblood5:

These players are given a clothing allowance $600 per year from the NCAA, along with a monthly allowance for meals (more if you live off campus than if you are on meal plan)!

VolsFanSince2010 writes:

in response to finn:

Don't forget all of the criminals who drank beer illegally in college. Strip them of their degrees!

18 year olds mess up. Some mistakes are smaller than others.

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

Lay off, people..

Yes Dave, they're sorry..........

tnaseevol writes:

in response to orangeblood5:

A few years ago, a basketball player was wearing his practice shoes to class because the shoes he was wearing when he came to school were falling apart. Someone bought him shoes but had to clear it so it wouldn't be construed as being illegal. IMO it's a shame they are not given a wardrobe along with tuition, books, etc because they cannot have a part time job and they bring in so much money for the university.

Vol86 writes:

At least no guns involved. Lesson of the day: shop at tj max and wait for it to go on clearance.

Gumby#1381110 writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

Yea that was the good ole days!

NTNSTY writes:

$110 for a Polo Shirt? My lawd we are a consumer-driven society aren't we? That's embarrassing, tbh.

Gumby#1381110 writes:

in response to burpee_von_rotweiler_IV:

And who can forget Velvet Jones?

Do you think Velvet Jones is kin to Basketball Jones?

OrangeVeins writes:

I wonder who bought him the outfit he's wearing in the picture with the sour faced lawyer?

Gumby#1381110 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Some of you mullets are sorry he didn't get 25 to life.

Hey I once had a mullet during the Billy Ray Cyrus years, but my dog Nopey didn't like it, he would bark at me everytime I went to feed him, so I cut it off. Nopey was so mean, I told him he broke my achy breaky heart!

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to justfine:

I hope this was sarcastic. If it wasn't, give me a break.

Well, we just need to tell ALL the police officers (wherever you're located) who you are so the next time you get pulled over for speeding, you don't get a ticket......you go straight to jail. We'll see how you feel about this issue then.

This is no different than getting caught speeding. We should NOT crucify this kid, or any kid, for a simple misdemeanor. Give him his punishment and hope he learns from it. If he does it again, he's gone. It's that simple.

What if your license got pulled after your very first speeding ticket????????

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!

Vol86 writes:

in response to OrangeVeins:

Maybe a court appointed lawyer.