Elite Eight for Vols, 76-73

Prince blocks shot by Turner with one second to play

ST. LOUIS — The Tennessee men’s basketball program took a historic step on its march at the Arch.

The sixth-seeded Vols (28-8) advanced to the NCAA tournament’s Elite Eight for the first time in their 101 years of competition with a 76-73 victory over second-seeded Ohio State (29-8) in the Midwest Regional semifinals at the Edward Jones Dome on Friday night.

The Vols play Sunday (TV: WVLT, 2:20 p.m.) against fifth-seeded Michigan State (27-8), a 59-52 winner over Northern Iowa.

UT senior J.P. Prince blocked a potential game-tying shot from Ohio State’s Evan Turner with one second left to secure the win.

Turner led the Buckeyes with a game-high 31 points - 21 in the second half - but he missed both 3-pointers he tried in the final seconds, one from the corner and the final one from the top of the key with Prince swarming him.

"You've got to make the block; you have to contest the shot,'' Prince said. "He was going to have to earn it.''

The Vols went to the paint, mostly to Wayne Chism, to earn the come-from-behind victory over Big Ten champion Ohio State after trailing 42-39 at halftime.

UT coach Bruce Pearl had been furious in the half-time locker room.

"I've never heard coach like that at half time,'' sophomore Scotty Hopson said. "His speech was outrageous, there was a lot of yelling going on.''

Tennessee junior Brian Williams said it was a much-needed wake-up call that included pivotal instructions.

"He was yelling at us to stop the ball down the middle,'' said Williams, who had nine points and a game-high 12 rebounds. "It's just defense and rebounds wins championships. That's our motto, and I think it showed today.''

It was apparent in the statistics, as Ohio State shot just 32.3 percent in the second half after connecting on 55.6 percent of its attempts in the first half, including 6 of 11 beyond the 3-point arc.

UT finished with a commanding 41-29 advantage on the boards and outscored the Buckeyes 50-22 in the paint.

Chism scored 18 of his team-high 22 points in the second half, Prince had 14 points and six assists, Cameron Tatum contributed 11 and Bobby Maze had 10.

Maze's biggest points came after he stole the ball from center Kyle Madsen and was fouled by Turner with 12 seconds left and the Vols up 74-73.

Maze swished both free throws to help clinch the win.

"Honestly,'' Maze said smiling, "there wasn't a doubt in my mind that I was going to make those two free throws.''

The Buckeyes protected their lead in the second half until Hopson drove baseline and dunked, drawing a foul he converted into a free throw to tie the game 59-59 with 7:20 left.

The lead changed hands six times after that, with Ohio State taking its final lead, 73-72, on a Turner 3-pointer with 41.4 seconds left.

Williams answered on the ensuing possession with a tip-in with 30 seconds remaining that put the Vols out front for good.

The Buckeyes looked to come back with Turner, but his driving shot clanked off the side of the rim. Madsen rebounded before Maze stole his attempt to pass the ball back out to Turner.

"They got confident and started making plays,'' said Turner, who also had seven rebounds, five assists and six turnovers. "They played out of their minds and that was it."

Pearl said there was more to it.

"In the intensity of this game of this game, I thought fatigue was a factor in the second half,'' said Pearl, who rotated 10 players to the Buckeyes' seven. "In the second half, our defense, our depth, and our seniors really made a huge difference.

"Guys that wanted to take this Tennessee basketball program to a place it's never been.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Blocked a game winning shot?? Up by 3 points, the best OSU could have done on a shot was tied the game. Does the KNS really know this little about basketball??

Elite 8 is great..strive for bigger and better things..GO VOLS

hdhurst writes:

Want evidence of the sports world doubting the vols would win this game? Log on to the Fox sports website, click on the link that says that "Buck stops here...." Then look up at the URL (address bar)...says that "Ohio state beats Tennessee Volunteers." Again, no respect.

hodocka writes:

Turner says "they played out of their minds" Still no respect.

stayingorange writes:

JP played like a King.

eduardo writes:

I dont think Magic Johnson can save you Mich. State come Sunday!!! ABSLOUTELY AWESOME

eduardo writes:

in response to hodocka:

Turner says "they played out of their minds" Still no respect.

Scoreboard!

Brillovol writes:

This win was sweet redemption for the blown lead a few years ago. Looks like it might be Michigan State on Sunday.

Pearl more animated than normal at halftime. You think he didn't want the monkey off of his back??

TennesseeTuxedo writes:

in response to hodocka:

Turner says "they played out of their minds" Still no respect.

Who will be sitting at home on Sunday?

runninbroke writes:

Well, I guess we will be the worst team out of 8 now instead of the worst team out of 16!! I love it. Keep disrespecting us, we like it!!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

ABSOLUTELY FREAKING FANTASTIC!! GBO!

jclowers writes:

Go Vols! Our seniors would not let us lose this game. Big tip-in by Williams too. Can't really fault Bruce given the result, but I was hoping to see a lineup of Bobby or Melvin at point J.P. at the 2, and then put in Kenny Hall, Brian Williams and Chism. We could have dominated (more so) inside.

I still can't believe we pulled it off. I started feeling a little sick to my stomach when Turner hit that three that gave them the one point lead. I couldn't stand to watch Maze at the freethrow line. Then I thought they gave Turner the foul and i held my breath until I saw us all celebrating. Let's keep this drive alive!

mrvol2u writes:

Great win Vols! Thanks for the memory. The whole team did great. Next door to kick in? THE FINAL FOUR!!

GO VOLS!! WIN AND ADVANCE!!!

volvann writes:

This is too cool.... Time for more wine...
Whatever CBP said at halftime to get them focused one can only imagine.
What a great game.......
GBO...

urbansitstopee writes:

Are we officially a basketball school now?

rockytopatl writes:

in response to hdhurst:

What do you expect from Fox? Accuracy? Fairness? Objectivity? Ha!!

miatatom writes:

Our team is still not respected even though "the experts" said we'd be one and done. Crush Michigan State!!!

justincredible369#357762 writes:

Tenn 72 mich st 64

vol_4_fan writes:

Keep on making history! Go Vols

mountainvol writes:

So very proud of these guys. Even it stops here, they have achieved so much. Think of it...only eight teams left out of approximately 340 who start the season. WOW!

wayoutwill writes:

I told ever single one of you punks,and sissies that J.P. Prince was the key to whether this team would rock the S.E.C. and the N.C.A.A. tourneys;every single one of you negative ninnies derided and chided my post,woofing about how Tyler Smith was the man that would lead the Vols,not J.P. Prince,some of you D.A.'s even barked and woofed out that it was Scotty Hopson that was the key player,I guess all you Tyler Smith backers can now see that we can play without him,being a fact that can't be argued too much since around New Year's Day 2010;I certainly would hope that there isn't any of Scotty Hopson backers out there still,as he has been overshadowed by J.P.(FRESH)Prince for most of the second half of the season.I would all that all you jerks that critisized and ran J.P. Prince down can now see that HE IS THE MAN!I got no doubts that he can and he will lead this Vol team all the way thru to the Title this year.The Vols are gonna win it all,we are unstoppable,and our great Coach Bruce Pearl,(another guy that has been underrated)has set this team up for this great run.I saw with great clarity that he let Kentucky win the S.E.C. tourney game,that is, let them beat the team he sent out on the floor thruout the game,knowing that he would meet them in the NCAA torney and would send different combinations at them than the combinations that they were allowed to see in the SEC tourney.This team is so freakin' deep and so committed to the belief that their Coach can set them up in a way that will allow them to beat any team in the country that it is truly scary to other coaches that have to face this monster creation that shows ten deep and you may not know who it is that will bury the dagger on a given night,but you best know one thing,ten deep is coming and they are not scared of anybody,including Kentucky Kitty-Cats,in the words of Scotty Hopson tonite,I repeat his two word exclamation as OSU went down--"WHAT NOW?"__"WHAT NOW?" WE ARE THE NEW#1!COME GET SOME

keepitreal4vols writes:

I don't know what to say...oops, I just did.

chrisw2967 writes:

Prince has hit another level and with him and in the 2nd half Chism just went off and played basketball and they put this team on their backs and took tn to victory but williams is starting to figure everything out and he has improved alot since he has came back.GBO

Tn 73 MSU 62

chrisw2967 writes:

Oh I forgot Hammy pull the check book out and pay Pearl.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to hodocka:

Turner says "they played out of their minds" Still no respect.

This did not really sound like a slant to me. Sounds like he admits we made some serious plays down the stretch. We did.

urbansitstopee writes:

J.P. has been playing the most consistent basketball of his career for the last 3 or 4 weeks. D@mn I wish we could have him and Weezy for 1 more year.

ROCKYTOP2010 writes:

Crowd was electric. I just witnessed history! Hope there are more Vol fans here on Sunday. I still can't believe we won. One of the greatest days in my life. I said its great to be a Tennessee Vol!

Colliervol writes:

Along with the football title in '98, this might be my proudest moment in 50 years of being a Vol fan. Just a great effort as it has been since January. Lots of guys contributing. And the seniors (Chism, Prince, and Maze) leading the team at crunch time.

Like I said earlier this week, no predictions. Just going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

Oh yeah, and I guess we don't have to hear that tired old junk any longer about "Well, Tennessee has never been past the Sweet Sixteen." That one is put to bed forever. One more door to kick down Sunday. Keep bringing it fellas.

allvol9 writes:

Just awesome. What heart and determination the Vols displayed!

PureOrange writes:

I've said all along I would not trade Chism for anyone. He proved again tonight that he is the Rock in this Rocky Top team.

Way to go Vols! You certainly made us proud. Now just go out and finish it.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

I HOPE EVERY ANALYST IN AMERICA KEEPS DOUBTING PEARL'S BOYS!

GO VOLS!!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

no comment

mrvol2u writes:

AHHH!!! The Kool-Aid was fine tonight. What a great block by JP. Everybody played well. For a team that is lucky to be there, has the worst coach since Jackie Moon, and can't shoot free throws we sure are winning.

GO VOLS!!! WIN AND ADVANCE!!!

west_GA_Volsfan writes:

WOW!!!!!!!!!! What a time to be a VOLS fan! Come on Lady Vols, now you join the party. Keep it up, destroy Mich. State.

BigOrangeInCarolina writes:

test

jryevols#222657 writes:

Write all you want , but there is only one word that describes what is taking place................... " CLASS "

BigOrangeInCarolina writes:

Sorry bout that. Just getting online, and wanted to say that I am SO proud of the Vols for their effort. Chism REFUSED to lose, and the rest of the guys really stepped up. GREAT job, CBP!!! Got so tired of having to hear Senile Vern the whole game. He was noticeably subdued when the game was over. Nice piece on ESPN, btw. NOW LET'S GET IT DONE AGAINST STATE AND MOVE ON TO THE FINAL FOUR!!!

bmaples writes:

Was at the game -- Vol nation out pretty strong (more than OSU or MSU, I think; less than UNI). A great, great game. Sunday tough but doable. Dare we hope? A Final Four team! GBO!!!

primetimevol writes:

Met my ex-girlfriend in Columbus when I went to see the Vols play in 2007. I had such a sick feeling watching the Vols blow that lead and lose by 1 to Oden and the gang. We still dated for a year and a half until she quit on me. What a great feeling it was to win tonight and send her this text..."O-H Elite 8 VOLS GO!!!" Suck it OHIO STATE!!!!

primetimevol writes:

OH YEAH, I FORGOT...CHISM IN YO FACE!!!!

jryevols#222657 writes:

We as Vol alumni and fans around the world need to set back,take a deep breath and truly take in what has just happened. Although it is just the elite eight ,it reminds me of the feeling I had the night PF lifted that National trophy in the air. What a sense of pride we all had. My son that couldn't hardly take the pressure came running down stairs after that last blocked shot and for tyhat moment in time when I hugged my 17 year old son , I began to realize what this group of young men and the entire coaching staff had just given us...... A Vol memory that we will be talking about for many years.
Coaches and Players .... thank you from all the worldwide fans.... a proud day to wear the orange

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to urbansitstopee:

Agree 100%! I am really going to cry to see them leave...however, I think NOW, not just Weezy, but JP will be playing in the NBA, so I will still get to watch them. I hope they go to a couple of my favorite teams!

BTW, I LOVE your name! GBO!

jryevols#222657 writes:

in response to UTVOLSRROCKN:

BTW, I LOVE your name! GBO!

Speaking of Chism , did you see the kudos he received on ESPN following the game and how they felt that he would be taken early in the NBA draft. He lit the airways with this game.

I believed he palyed better without the headband... Samson my...arch

memphis_vol_fan writes:

I AM SO PROUD OF THE VOLS TONIGHT!! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to graduate with a degree from the Hill. However, I'm a Vol at Heart! I've met Scotty and Wayne; and you can't find two cooler guys. We need to celebrate this team no matter what happens on Sunday. Wayne, Scotty, JP, Bobby, Brian, Cam, Melvin, Steven, Kenny, Josh, and all the others; we're all damn proud of you!!!!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to bmaples:

Great to know that and you were able to be there!
I just re-watched the game and we won AGAIN!

Not to worry about MSU. The Vols will prevail and be in the Final Four! They won't be able to handle our defensive pressure either and our bench will outplay their bench. Again, we will frustrate them and wear them down. Not worried about this game(MSU) at all! Vols on their way to Final Four, along with the Lady Vols GBO!

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to BigOrangeInCarolina:

For me it was around the 14 minute mark in the 2nd half that Chism was not gonna let UT lose. The look in his eye was terrifying. I wasn't alive to see the Bernie and Ernie show; but Chism past Lofton for my all-time favorite!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to jryevols#222657:

I believed he palyed better without the headband... Samson my...arch

Yes I heard that, then later on, I heard them all pick MSU. Haven't heard from Hubert yet, but he has been a true Vol supporter all year long, so I assume he will be the only one to pick us to win.

I'm not tech smart by any means, but I wish someone out there would send "Rocky Top" to every Media person and outlet out there until it drives them totally nuts. If you don't know how, please find someone that does. Elite 8 and still no respect.

I agree, he was possessed after the headban came off. Wonder if he will start with it on Sunday and I hope we get to wear the orange uniforms from now on, especially when we play KY again! GBO!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

I HOPE EVERY ANALYST IN AMERICA KEEPS DOUBTING PEARL'S BOYS!

GO VOLS!!!

They are VolAlum2003. They have already started. Thats GREAT news for the Vols and Vol fans, but just "shows to go you" that they ALL are stupid, except for Hubert of course. GBO!

Just showed Top 10 plays on ESPN again. JP's block on Evan was #3! GBO!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Just now got home from PARTYING on the town in Chatt.....saw the game on a bar TV........wow. Where's the BP haters now????

MidTennVol writes:

in response to hodocka:

Turner says "they played out of their minds" Still no respect.

I took that as a compliment. We played crazy, all-out, king-hustle, swarming, etc. -- out of our minds.

tensie2004 writes:

I am so proud of Coach Pearl and the TENNESSEE VOLUNTEEERS!!!!!

Best coaching job and team unity in all of college basketball!!!!

GO VOLS