Ohio State vs. Tennessee: A 'where were you when' moment for Vol fans

Bobby Maze greets a fan after the Vols defeated Ohio State during the NCAA tournament Sweet Sixteen at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Mo., Friday, Mar. 26, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Even if Tennessee's Bruce Pearl was a circus ringmaster wearing an orange coat for P.T.Barnum, the game Friday night in St. Louis couldn't have been more exciting and stupendous.

Tennessee vs. Ohio State lived up to its advance pub -- and then some.

For Vols fans, it's a "where were you when" moment. For Buckeye fans, it's a dejected, deflected ball pain leaving them crying foul.

Whatever happens for the Vols against Michigan State, this has turned out to be most remarkable season on Tennessee basketball; a season of hope, upsets, and magic chemistry, but also a season of adversity, embarrassment and pain.

Those electric highs and lows seem to have toughened the mettle of a team that, thus far, has refused to go home beaten in the tournament we call March Madness.

Here is what sports writers are saying on the morning after Tennessee 76-73 win:

Tennessee Fells Another Favorite | New York Times J.P. Prince said the Tennessee players were told about remarks by Ohio State Coach Thad Matta that the Volunteers probably wished they could play in the Buckeyes’ thin lineup because the players would never come out of the game. Prince said the Volunteers preferred to share responsibility, and the Buckeyes’ lack of depth made them too tired to finish strong.

Dennis Dodd: In the battle of Tennessee vs. Turner, the Vols take the cake - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com: It's a good thing when Evan Turner takes over a game. Always. Every time. Except Friday.

Andy Glockner: Tennessee's big men bump off Buckeyes - Andy Glockner - SI.com: The Vols' post tandem of Wayne Chism and Williams was the key to this victory. They combined for 31 points and 23 boards, including nine on the offensive glass.

nky.Com | Kentucky Enquirer | The Big Bluegrass Blog So the SEC is down, huh? Could have fooled the Elite 8: Just a reminder, here - SEC teams in the Elite 8: TWO. Big East teams in the Elite 8: ONE. Yikes. MAJOR choke-job in the NCAAs. - I'm looking at you Georgetown and Villanova and Louisville and Syracuse and well - you know who you are.

Eamonn Brennan: Friday's early games continue the madness - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN: It a remarkable win for Tennessee, given how poorly Tennessee started the game. Ohio State opened a 13-6 lead in the opening minutes. Tennessee looked overmatched. But if there's one thing we should know by now about these Tennessee Volunteers: They're down, but they're never out.

TNJN - Chism wills Vols to first ever Elite Eight: And talking to Bill Raftery after the game on national television, Chism could have been cocky and gloated in the moment. Instead, he kept things classy and calm, making it apparent that even this isn't satisfying enough of an accomplishment to put things in cruise control the rest of the way.

Tennessee reaches a new level - Los Angeles Times: Reporting from St. Louis - Tennessee players walked onto the court at the Edward Jones Dome to chants by Ohio State fans reminding them of 2007, when the Buckeyes bounced them from the NCAA tournament in the Sweet 16. They left it to cheers from Volunteers fans, thrilled that Tennessee finally rewrote its history.

Bob Ryan: Tennessee closes out Ohio St. - The Boston Globe: Who needs jump shots? That would seem to be the appropriate question after watching Tennessee advance to the Elite Eight with a 76-73 victory over Ohio State, a game in which the Volunteers scored 37 points in the second half while making one outside shot.

J.P. Prince vaults Vols past Ohio State - STLtoday.com: "I'll remember this the rest of my life,'' Tennessee guard Bobby Maze said. "J.P. pulled me to the side and said, 'I'm not going to take another shot. I'm tired and going to save my energy and play the best defense I've ever played.' That's exactly what he did.''

Evan Turner was not enough for Buckeyes - STLtoday.com: We'll live with the best player in the country having the ball in his hands with 12 seconds left," Ohio State guard Jon Diebler said. "I don't know who wouldn't want the ball in his hands."

J.P. Prince made the play for Vols - STLtoday.com: When the last-second shot left his hand - awkward and rushed and with just the proper pinch of "Ohhh my gawd!!! Look at the clock!!!" desperation - Ohio State's national player of the year Evan Turner thought he did everything he could to hurl that basketball towards the hoop and become CBS's next made-for-TV miracle worker in an NCAA Tournament already chocked full of crazy, buzzer-beating heroes. "I definitely liked the look I got," Turner would say.

Out of the dance | BuckeyeXtra: "The fatigue issue - the people that probably say that are overweight and eat bad food," coach Thad Matta said. "These guys are conditioned to roll." But the Buckeyes' season rolled to an end against Tennessee last night, and Volunteers coach Bruce Pearl said he thought "fatigue was a factor."

Buckeyes' basketball season finally out of magic | BuckeyeXtra: "To get to the Sweet 16 is an accomplishment," junior Jon Diebler said. "But we're still very disappointed. We think we could have gone farther. Tennessee just played better."

Bob Hunter commentary: Turner deserved better sendoff -- if he leaves | BuckeyeXtra: The shot was supposed to go to Jon Diebler. Fate made sure it went to Evan Turner, as it almost always does. Fate was heartless. As Turner led the Buckeyes off the floor with a 76-73 loss that ended their season, it seemed like a can of red paint had been spattered on the Mona Lisa.

Mike Loprest: Could this be Tennessee's year? | tennessean.com: The Volunteers played and coached with the desperation of someone trying to erase old history. Any missed shot was chased as if a sin. Notice the 20 offensive rebounds, which led to the staggering 50-22 scoring advantage in the paint.

Tennessee's J.P. Prince defends final play against Ohio State as just a 'clean block' | tennessean.com: Bottom line: No official blew his whistle as Prince blocked Turner's 3-point attempt in the closing seconds as Tennessee made off with a 76-73 victory over Ohio State in the Midwest Regional semifinals Friday night.

David Climer: Vols have earned Elite status | tennessean.com: Suddenly, this is no longer a football school. And now it's not just the Lady Vols who hold up UT's basketball honor.

A night to remember | When You're Strange | GoVolsXtra.com: Key stat: Ohio State was guilty of only 11 turnovers, but three of them came in the final five possessions. As great as he was, Turner had a game-high six turnovers. That was part of Bruce Pearl's scouting report. The Vols knew to get into Turner and see if he would turn it over.

Vols shake New Year's Day hangover | Ask Griff | GoVolsXtra.com: For the first time after a major Tennessee basketball victory this year, there weren't any questions about what happened on New Year's Day.

Strange: Vols still standing GoVolsXtra: There were plenty of heroes to share a break-through moment, to nudge a program to a level it had never achieved before.

Wiedmer: Tennessee makes history as a team | Chattanooga Times Free Press: Bobby Maze should have felt the most pressure of his college basketball career. The Tennessee senior point guard stood on the foul line with 12.9 seconds to play in Friday night's Midwest Regional semifinal game against Ohio State, the Volunteers ahead by a slender point.

Defense puts UT in Elite Eight | Chattanooga Times Free Press: The Vols trailing Ohio State by six early in the second half of Friday night's Midwest Regional semifinal, Wayne Chism scored six straight UT points, pulled down three rebounds and disrupted at least one Buckeye shot in a span of two minutes. Then he jumped high in the air, pumped his arms and screamed, "Let's go! Let's GO!"

Powered by Publish2.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

Voluvr writes:

I was two inches off of the floor! Serious hangtime.

Voluvr writes:

We are VERY proud of you guys!

Voluvr writes:

lol....Doc.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

doc, i just sat in silence with both fists extended to the sky.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Did anyone notice that the bigs had less early fouls than usual. Great play Chism and Williams.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I was at home watching on TV as usual. Wish I could have been there.

1volfanatic writes:

We still won't get any respect by national media(espn n such), but who cares. We all(vol fans) know our boys can win it all!!!! Go Big Orange!!!!

Hounddog writes:

The Hounddog was sitting in a sports bar in Phoenix for the second half, afraid if it went to overtime, he would miss the ending. Two and a half hour flight to Memphis, what a ride!

Hounddog

Razzle writes:

Here's what Spartan fans think of Vols fans...

Orangeblood13 writes:

I was standing right in the middle of the NIS, OSU and MSU fans, phooey seats in general, but great seats for the game. All them Yankees in one place made me feel like PU lol

Loved every minute of it, sang Rocy Top the whole game, told to sit down over 100 time, asked if I was going hunting 4 times, and I never shut up. Loved it.

Only thing was......Yankees are sore losers.....

Keep it up Bruce, you are a hated man up north, but Elite in the SOUTH!

Go Big Orange, Go Big Orange

givehim6 writes:

The Vols are the 2010 cinderella team, GO VOLS! Next Final Four.

tnsportsman writes:

WE were partying at the house with Vols Fan, I was 5 crowne and waters in at the 2 minute mark, LOL. Wife let me have the 5th one since the Big Orange was about to win. She even drank half of it, LOL!

GO VOLS, Great game MEN, keep it up!

STLVolFan writes:

In sec 135. Same place that I will be on Sunday!

John_10065 writes:

Sitting at the kitchen table in tears of joy.

I had opened a beer at the start of the 2nd half and never finished it! I was to busy yelling and screaming at the TV.

subaruvol writes:

in response to John_10065:

Sitting at the kitchen table in tears of joy.

There are starving kids in Ethiopia who would love to have that beer.Don't waste!Go Big Orange!!!!

volinvegas writes:

Anybody else wondering what OSU was thinking when they didn't hold for a final shot when they were down by one with 30" left?

volloot writes:

My 8 year old was so excited he jumped up in my arms like we had won the whole thing. A moment to remember! What a game. Now lets win the whole freakin thing.

John_10065 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

That would work ok as long as they have a TV in the holding cell and the sky marshalls happen to be UT fans.

eb502us#225637 writes:

I don't want to put a damper on this team's accomplishments especially after all the suspensions etc... but I'll only care about where I was if we reach the final 4.

It's a successful season regardless but final 8's should never be a goal. Fortunately, Pearl is thinking the same.

ROCKYTOP2010 writes:

I was standing up in section 101f with the rest of Volnation going crazy.

John_10065 writes:

in response to subaruvol:

I drank it and a few others trying to wind down and get to bed.

It's a shame that the can was blue, the only beer in an orange can I remember was Billy Beer and it wasn't fit for a shrimp boil.

subaruvol writes:

in response to John_10065:

I drank it and a few others trying to wind down and get to bed.

lol

John_10065 writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

It's not a goal, it's a milestone. UT has never done so well in the Big Dance.

Enjoy the ride and let's see what happens.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Razzle:

Here's what Spartan fans think of Vols fans...

I don't care who you are, some of those pictures are funny! And I thought I saw some of my relatives in there!

CrankE writes:

I'm in "Great win, get over it, who's next-ville."

VolJunkie writes:

My wife and I were watching on our smaller HD TV downstairs. I have a really big screen in the bonus room, 67", but the last time I watched UT up there was against KY in the SECT. I happened to watch the SDSU and OU games on the smaller set ... after two wins there was only one place to watch the OSU game ... not that I'm superstitious or anything (don't tell WD). The wife and I will be watching UT take care of MSU on the smaller set tomorrow! ;)

It is GREAT to be a Tennessee Vol!

Go Vols!

IN_Volfan writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

gotta disagree. the way this season started, the ups (Kansas and UK wins) and downs (USC, Vandy, 2nd UK loss)...this team has perserveered (?sp) We are playing on house money now, no one expects us to beat MSU. Let's keep showing what a pissed off 6th seed can do!

joshvols writes:

As long as the guys aren't satisfied with making it to the 8, I think we have what it takes to keep going. I like the way we stack up with any team left in the tourney. It's an exciting time to be a Tennessee Vols fan. Let's go visit Peyton in Indy next weekend!!

Vol_In_Ohio writes:

Smack dab in the center of Columbus, Ohio and the only one in orange in the entire place. Doesn't get better.

John_10065 writes:

in response to joshvols:

Indy is a day trip for me sitting in Southern Indiana surrounded by a sea of blue fans.

MSU is going to be a tough, tough game. If we get past that, I'll have to head north and watch UT's first final 4 appearance.

uglydog5230#233820 writes:

I was sitting courtside at the Spurs/Cavs game in San Antonio, watching the TN game on my iphone! . After the blocked shot and I knew that Tennessee had secured the win, I jumped from my seat! People around me were like what happened? I said, TENNESSEE just beat Ohio State!!!! They said congrads, now sit down and watch this game! Go Vols!!!!!!

uglydog5230#233820 writes:

Watching the Road to the Final Four, Bill Self just said that The Spartans are a tough team and Tennessee does not have what it takes to beat them! I guess he is still pissed about TN knocking his (mighty- win-it all JayHawks) out of the number one spot!!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!

VolJunkie writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

LOL ... BTW, if this doesn't get you pumped up then you need to have your pulse checked ...

I said it's GREAT to be a Tennessee Vols!

Go Vols!

VolFaninNiota writes:

My wife hates sports, but was cheering for the BIG ORANGE like i was. I have made her a fan of Volunteer football and basketball, even if she is from Illinois.

govols2889 writes:

incase anyone was wondering, capmpus was pretty awesome last night as fiji island around fraternity row was set on fire. I can't wait to see what might happen sunday night

volinuptonky writes:

I was at home with my 5 year old daughter telling me to be quiet because she could not hear her tv show upstairs. Great win, Go vols. Who know maybe we can meet the Cats in the Championship.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

I was hopping up and down screaming "YES, YES, YES" (you'd have thought I was in an herbal essences commerical)
Meanwhile, my wife who's on crutches says be careful, only one of us can be injured at a time.

Thing is, I did just that in '04 after Wilhoite kicked the FG that beat FL.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to VolJunkie:

I said it's GREAT to be a Tennessee Vols!

Go Vols!

Thanks for the link... that was awesome to watch!

bitblaze writes:

As a UK and SEC fan, congrats on win yesterday, the block was an awesome play, no foul and yes the Vols are for real regardless of what all the talking heads say, look at their brackets.
I saw the Lady Vols lost, but if you can pull out the win tomorrow, the week between the final four is AWESOME!!! I'll be pulling for you until the Finals, an SEC final would have the talking heads all dazed anc confused...btw Izzo can be a heartbreaker..Good Luck!!!!

Merrysmiles writes:

SO VERY PROUD! This entire bastball team and coaching staff has gone thru feast and famine coming out on top. I would love for them to keep winning, but no matter what happens tomorrow, they are my pride and joy. Thanks guys for a very, very special 2009-2010 season. They bested the media, officials and opposing players. GO VOLS!!!!!!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

I was at Parkway Billiards downtown Chattanooga watching it on bigscreen. It was partying after that!

TXbigorangefan writes:

My family and I were at the South Regional watching Baylor and St. Mary's. The game was a blowout but when they posted the Tennessee score we were the loudest people in the whole stadium and my mom played her Rocky Top ringtone.

HtownVol writes:

I was in my room watching on the internet (Baylor game was on TV in Houston).

At the end I was screaming "TENNESSEE WON"!

My family called me saying "How bout them Vols".

I can really see UT in the final 4. Izzo is the best coach in the tourney, but they are not as good without Lucas, and if OS was without Turner it would have been a UT blowout.

This team will play great ball, and if we can get Hopson to score it would help much more.

Bruce did his best subbing job ever last night. I even appreciate how he played SP.

Will we have the depth advantage over MSU?

I know they rebound as well as any team in the country. Williams will have to play just as well.

Also...when Williams slammed the ball with one hand, it was so nice. He can do that all the time. I hope Chism stops missing easy layups, he missed 2 last night. Not to take away from his great game.

Bobby seems to score any time he drives coast to coast. He is one of the best I have seen at making driving layups.

I was SO happy the refs got the call right last night on the last shot. I was also surprised b/c they seemed to be making some very bad calls. It was not really one sided, but they made calls that did not need to be made.

GO VOLS!

1 more win and UT will be talked about for the next 8 months at least as one of the best teams in the coutry, ESPN can not take that away no matter how much they hate the big orange.

volscantball writes:

Watching reruns of Hee Haw after determining it was a basketball game and not football. I did not realize these two schools even played basketball. Hate I missed it. Wow.

HtownVol writes:

in response to volscantball:

If you did not know they played basketball how do you know they cant ball?

That is the worst comment I have seen on this site ever.

Congrats - you officially will never be taken serious again.

GO VOLS!

BTW, which team do you watch, when your parents allow you TV time? Wait, you didnt know UT had a team, so you have never been allowed to watch college basketball.

Sorry, dont let your mom know you were on the internet.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to HtownVol:

If you did not know they played basketball how do you know they cant ball?

That is the worst comment I have seen on this site ever.

Congrats - you officially will never be taken serious again.

GO VOLS!

Sorry, dont let your mom know you were on the internet.

I've long since given up on taking this clown seriously... nothing more than a wannabe troll with too much time on his hands.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to volscantball:

So, genius, how did you "determine" it was a basketball game.. Since the two sports are so obviously similar, genius.

Seriously, grow up.. Just curious, are you the 40 something that has yet to move out of his parents' house?

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to HtownVol:

I was in my room watching on the internet (Baylor game was on TV in Houston).

At the end I was screaming "TENNESSEE WON"!

My family called me saying "How bout them Vols".

Will we have the depth advantage over MSU?

GO VOLS!

Htown,
I've got family down there myself... kind of happy for Baylor, but it's essentially a home game for them, since Waco's just a few hours away.

Can't wait for tomorrow afternoon! Vols have made history once, why stop now... GBO!!!

volscantball writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

A Ky fan told me it was a basketball game. They DO know something about basketball. Isn't it about time for your boat to leave?

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to volscantball:

Soooo, you're blind or something... btw, since I'M actually a fan, and you're not, you can get your happy arse off here. I'll raise the money and buy a boat for you, jack@ZZ!!