Prince not sold on being called for foul

ST. LOUIS - The same competitive fire that enabled J.P. Prince to help lead Tennessee to its first Elite Eight appearance burned deep into Sunday's post-game interviews.

"It's over, we got to live with it and be a man about it, but the way you end your career is what you remember,'' Prince said. "With 1.8 seconds on the clock, a whistle blows, and it determines your fate, and instead of overtime they go to the Final Four.

"I'll have to watch the replay and see what happened. I don't think I fouled him."

Prince was called for a foul on Michigan State senior Raymar Morgan with the game tied at 69-69. Morgan hit an ensuing free throw that lifted the Spartans to a 70-69 victory over the Vols in the Midwest Regional championship at the Edward Jones Dome.

Prince, who along with fellow senior Wayne Chism represented UT on the five-man Midwest Regional All-Region team, enjoyed another strong tournament performance with 12 points on 5-of-5 shooting from the floor and 2 of 2 from the free-throw line to go with his team-high five assists.

Prince scored in double figures in all four of the NCAA tournament games (15, 18, 14, 12) on 23-of-36 (.639) shooting, but he said he'll be haunted after being called for the pivotal foul.

UT junior Brian Williams was a step late getting back on defense on Michigan State's final possession, but had managed to establish position on Morgan. Prince left his assigned man to provide help on defense.

"If there was no question about it, that would be one thing,'' Prince said. "I think he lost the ball on his way up and it hit my elbow.

"I just think at the end of the game you let the players win the game. There was a lot of rough playing, and a lot of bodies falling out there.''

Coach Bruce Pearl said UT shouldn't have allowed itself to get put in that position.

"They got the ball way too close to the basket; they got way too good a look,'' Pearl said. "If we had gotten back better and been matched up better, and if the look wasn't such a high-percentage location, then you begin to maybe be concerned that the game was won or lost on a free throw.

"And so regardless of the contact, it was a foul. If we did a better job getting matched up, then we wouldn't have gotten it that close, then we don't put ourselves in the position.''

Player Futures: UT sophomore Scotty Hopson issued a "no comment" when asked if he was returning for his junior year.

Hopson, who indicated throughout the season he'd likely return, was 3-of-7 shooting from the floor and 3 of 6 from the free throw line for 10 points with three rebounds and an assist against Michigan State.

Pearl said he'll submit paperwork to the NBAdraft evaluation committee on behalf of Hopson.

Junior walk-on Josh Bone, who played eight minutes Sunday, said he plans to return.

Sophomore Renaldo Woolridge said before the start of the NCAA tournament he planned on returning for his junior year.

Departures: Pearl said he'll accompany Wayne Chism and Prince to the Portsmouth Invitational pre-draft seniors camp, and he plans to get Bobby Maze into the field.

"I hope fans remember me as a guy who wanted so bad to win and to represent Tennessee,'' Maze said. "I played as hard as I could.''

Chism finished his career as UT's all-time NCAA tournament leader for rebounds (157) and scoring (136) and ranks 12th all-time in career scoring.

In Attendance: UT football coach Derek Dooley and former UT basketball star Allan Houston were in attendance.

"It was an unbelievable experience seeing them on this stage,'' Houston said. "I was extremely proud of their effort. They've been tough, and they showed a lot of heart.

"I think this is really big for the program, and it's a huge step.''

All-Region Team: In addition to Prince and Chism, Michigan State's Durrell Summers and Draymond Green were selected to the Midwest Regional's All-Region team, as was Ohio State's Evan Turner.

Summers, who scored a game-high 21 points, was named the Most Outstanding Player.

Broken Trends: Sunday's game marked the first time UT has lost when leading with five minutes left (27-1), and only the second time the Vols have lost when leading at the half (19-2).

It was also the first time UT has lost when out-shooting an opponent (26-1) and the second time the Vols have lost when UT has been even with or out-rebounded an opponent (18-2).

Additionally, it was the Vols first loss when shooting 50 percent or better (9-1).

The Vols had won 10 straight when Prince scored in double figures, too.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

zigvol writes:

What a season. I have never enjoyed watching TN. b-ball more than I have this year. Thanks for the ride guys. GO VOLS

ThugTillIDie writes:

It was a good block. The ref made an anticipation call. The whole game was terribly officiated. I'll never understand how a foul wasn't called when Maze's shot went over the backboard.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

Prince played very well...however his 4th salute kept him from getting back on "D" and he pick up two quick fouls. That lack of discipline was the turning point in the game in my opinion. Tennessee played the better game they just did not stay focused and one or two breakdowns got them beat.

Give_It_My_ALL writes:

Scotty offered no comment on wether not he will be returning.... maybe somebody needs to shrink his head, even if he had hit both free throws tonight i would still think it would be a bad idea.....

UTVol4Life80 writes:

JP played awesome and I just appreciate all he did while wearing the Orange & White. Gonna REALLY miss him, Wayne, and B-Maze...all 3 are truly VOLS. Hope all 3 make tons of money hoopin' it up whether in the NBA or abroad--they deserve it.

royalblue writes:

I don't think Prince fouled him either. You can bet the SEC will get hosed when it comes down to the final seconds and the whistle blows. Hats off to the Vols for playing great through controversy this season. Vol fans have a lot to be proud of. Looking forward to some good games between the Cats and Vols next season.

hueypilot writes:

Why wouldn't Hopson be back? Where is he going to play? Who would pay him? Hopson doesn't have the confidence to play at a higher level. Some guys want the ball when the game is on the line. Hopson passes off. His shot at the end was the best look he's had at the basket in several games. I'd love to see J P Prince's aggressiveness channeled into Hopson's abilities. But he is what he is. And he ain't there yet.

newportvol writes:

in response to Give_It_My_ALL:

i agree Hes to stricky i guess is the right word..He will get killed in the nba.. Lebron James he is not.. Needs more work

dfreeman writes:

JP is gonna be my all time favorite Vol bballer with Chism in a close second! No one can doubt the heart in Maze! He showed more in this tournament than I saw out of him all year! He really did want it bad! This whole team has been a treat to watch. This team deserves to go down as the best team we've ever had at the University of Tennessee! Thanks guys for the memories! It was a fun year!

miatatom writes:

Thanks to Chism, Prince and Maze, three fine young men. Scotty, you aren't ready.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Bobby Maze: thanks much helping out the Big Orange these 2 years. I think you really improved as a player and showed a pretty good side of yourself as a person.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

I hate it, but Scotty proved on a National Stage he can't handle the preassure.

KNS there is no way Prince went 5-5 from the floor, unless you are calling that last shot a pass from halfcourt.

Fols mention officating and I too think it sucked all the way around in both the Men's and Women's Tourneys. I don't care where the schools were from, there were some really bad calls.

Orangeblood13 writes:

I was impressed with our fans. MSU, OSU and the rest of the Midwest can stick it. "We hate Pearl" Ill and Iowa fans, keep dreaming of getting back to the big stage, I hated I had to sit with such arrogant d-bags.

Proud of our guys, I thought the refs were just terrible, everyone did. Was a memorable experience, thanks Sr's, thanks for all of them!

tvol71 writes:

Great season, VOLS, hope the seniors have a great future.

Bogytrain writes:

I don't understand the call either. The guy went up and the ball hit JP in the elbow and was loose after that, thus a free ball for each to go after. It was a weak call at a time it shouldn't be called.

The refs missed several calls. The one on Maze baffles me. Do they think he shoots lay-ups over the backboard without getting hit?

Regardless of the normal anti-orange refing, I think this game boils down to making free throws. BW and Scotty seemed to crumble under the pressure. I love these guys but they have to make foul shots when it counts.

It was an awesome season, so let's get behind them again this fall. BP is building a special program and this was another step towards that.

Thanks for the 2009-2010 season guys, we'll never forget it!!

bryanvolsfan writes:

Wayne, J.P and Maze all played so hard and with passion to win, you can't really ask for more. We lost to a really good team and a great coach(Izzo). Tennessee and Bruce Pearl earned ALOT of respect from the basketball world during this tourny, we are becoming a NATIONAL POWERHOUSE!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

I will add: someday, JP will be a big-time coach. I just don't see him having much of an NBA chance (he just can't shoot enough), but I think he is bright, knows the game, and LOVES the game.

I hope it works out for him. He was SO much fun this season. It really helped him when Tyler left, I think.

As for Wayne: probably a european player for a few years, then a steady job. Bobby?? A high school coach, and hopefully a great life.

One more minor comment: Cam Tatum really, really improved his all-around offense this year. The kid can do it all, and I look forward to his emerging as a star next year. Here's hoping he brings wooridge along for the ride!!

TNPilgrim writes:

Why would anyone even ask Hopson if he's staying?
That kid has a long way to go before the NBA even gives him a sniff. However, if he dedicates himself he could be a really good player, possibly NBA caliber. Add the incoming talent to the depth Pearl will have next year and we should have another fun team to watch.

ThugTillIDie writes:

You want to talk about an awful call? How about when there was a loose ball off a rebound and the white kid from MSU GRABBED AND PULLED Bone to the ground and MSU got the ball and nailed a three. It's one of the highlights they're showing on ESPN. I agree that the no-call on the Maze shot was atrocious. I don't see how they can allow plays like that to go, but call Cameron Tatum twice for just breathing on a shooter. It's the worst part of basketball. It's the only game where the entire tempo and flow of the game are decided by officials. Alcindor, Chamberlain, and Walton could have never played in the modern era. They would have been fouled and hammered too much. Post play in this era has been completely ruined by terrible officiating.

VolWoman writes:

Whew, I made it all evening without shedding a tear but Bobby's comment did it. We will remember you as a kid who played as hard as he could and also a kid who grew up during his time here. Very proud of you Bobby and you, JP and Wayne will always be a part of my Vol loving heart.

I think the non-call on Maze was worse than the possible mistake on JP's elbow. No way Bobby throws that ball off the top of the backboard. Good grief. No excuse to miss that one.

MidTennVol writes:

What is this nonsense being published about somebody asking Hopson if he'll be back next year? What's he gonna do -- go coach junior high ball back in KY? Join Chris and Tyler in Turkey?

Anyone who's watched more than 1 minute of an NBA game knows that Scotty Hopson is not ready for the league. What would Pat Riley or Phil Jackson or any other NBA coach with a three-digit IQ counsel him to do?

Scotty is a developing player with the potential for greatness. He's a good player right now -- not a great player or even a really good player.

His performance this season was average in every aspect of the game. Very spotty and inconsistent. Yes, some bright, shining moments but mostly average.

He is not yet dependable. He is not yet a go-to guy for points. His defense disappears at times.

The NBA draft evaluation will pour some ice-cold reality on him and everyone else wanting to talk this kid into being NBA-ready, I guarantee you.

For two years now, we've heard NBA hype about Scotty. "One and done" the bozos were yakking, even before he suited up. And the hype has rarely been matched on the court -- if ever.

He is now in the hands of a terrific coach who knows how to put him in the NBA. If he was my son, I'd tell him to forget about the NBA until his senior year and and instead listen to Pearl and do what he says.

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

Good season Vols. Good effort in the tourney.

It was a foul though. In fact Williams also fouled him on the same play.

rusty_shackleford writes:

In all his years of playing at UT, Prince never committed a foul. Just ask him.

richvol writes:

It's not up to Hopson...there is not an NBA team that would draft that kid at this point. He is an incomplete player and needs lots of work both on the court and the weight room.

lomas98 writes:

On a replay I actually think JP was right and his elbow hit the ball. But from an official standpoint when someones elbow is that high and comes down hard, it is going to be called a foul. If JP was on the ground and stripped it there would have been no foul called. Pearl was right in that we didn't get in position. Who knows what would have happened if JP wasn't there, maybe the guy misses the shot since he had a poor angle and it would have been over Williams. The numbers and stats point to a TN victory as we hit every trend we needed to, but as Pearl said the 50/50 balls were key. It seemed everytime we had our hands on a loose ball it would squirt out of bounds, and Mich. St. capitalized with points afterwards.

cloudodust writes:

When a season of early and late hours, time spent in the gym with practice, skull sessions galore, flights to and from,etc, it's hard to imagine ending it like it ended. But ended it did. The Tennessee Men had a great run. As a Volunteer and a fan of anything Tennessee, I appreciated it all and the effort they gave. Good luck to our Seniors....Scotty my boy, I don't see the NBA beaming you up.

Volways writes:

in response to ThugTillIDie:

I agree. If the Maze shot was a no call after they way he was mugged down there, There should have been no whistle on Prince. We still had our chances though. I'm very proud of our team. Go Big Orange.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

The real butt-kicker is watching MSU gloat about their 'toughness' and and like they just ran away with the game. They where unbelievably fortunate, just as we where against OSU.

Bruce did mention the 50-50 balls; they hurt us quite a bit against OSU, and they cost us the game against MSU. Too many to just be 'luck' or coincidence. What it means is that not every UT player is selling out to get every loose ball, and that judgement-wise, we are at times trying to 'go' before we have secured possession.

Part of the above may be from the desire to get out on the break early (to get the easy dunk).

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

What a great run we had! I was very impressed with the numbers of fans we had in the stands. One more indication that our program has arrived!

There were several plays in the game that resulted in "no calls" by the officials. That usually benefits the team that hustles for the 50/50 balls, which we lost that battle and the key in the game.

As a long time BB official, (and longer Vol fan), it did look as if Maze got hammered on his shot. However, when you look at the last play in real time, it's hard not to call a foul on JP, because he was out of position and had left his feet. When looking with the benefit of replay, there is a case for a "no call" in that situation. Doesn't really matter now.

volumehigh writes:

Great year, Vols. I have to disagree on the last call, though. Watching the replay, he got him with the body. The refs blew calls on both sides so it was not a situation that caused the Vols to lose. What caused the loss was the inability to make free throws and get back on defense with less than 10 seconds on the clock.

Ironcity writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

It really doesn't matter if he is ready. It only matters if some NBA team thinks he will be good enough in the future to draft him in the first round. I don't think Hopson is ready and I don't think he would play at all if he did go. I can't blame him though for looking to see if someone is willing to give him a contract of about 3-5 million. His dream is to play in the NBA.

nvavol writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

In all his years of playing at UT, Prince never committed a foul. Just ask him.

In that aspect, he's no different than any other player. We never commit fouls, it's always the opposing player that initiates the contact. Get off the "hate train" and be proud of what Prince and all of the others on this team accomplished this year.

dlobh writes:

"I hope fans remember me as a guy who wanted so bad to win and to represent Tennessee". Thanks Bobby Maze. I enjoyed watching you progress into a solid point guard who was our late game FT shooter. Like ice in your veins late, you always made them. I don't think you blame Brian Williams for missing free throws. Does anybody ever expect him to be a great FT shooter? What he does do well is rebound, score off rebounds, and pass well from the post. 5/8 on FG, 11 points, 9 boards (next highest on the team was 3! Where was everybody else?).

I haven't read this anywhere, but we didn't get to the rim on drives enough. Remember one by Maze, maybe one by Prince. That was a big part of our scoring late in the year and MSU stopped it.

Great year, looking forward to next year!

finn writes:

I just wish we could have had Maze all 4 years. He was a great contributor and leader for this team. Good luck, Bobby! JP and Chism were no slouches either. Gonna miss all of them.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

Facts:

1) Bobby Maze got mugged and didn't get the call. He is 6'0 tall surrounded by 3 guys 6'8 or better. Hard to get that call, even if he deserved it.

2) JP left his feet and and came down with a hammering, windmill motion....that gets called every time, even if you are very lucky (as Prince was) and get all ball or manage not to touch the guy. It still gets called.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

The better question is: what was Bobby thinking driving into their 3 post guys with no UT player standing inside the 3 point line?

I am not being critical...Bobby must have seen something...I just didn't think we needed that down 1 at the 1 minute mark. Bobby drove from the baseline and he is much better driving right from the top of the circle where he has that running layup/hook that he shoots over the big guys.

Thanks Wayne, JP and Bobby for the Senior leadership and playing your guts out! Let's not be too critical on Williams for missing free throws (even air balls) as he was GASSED, but CBP knew he couldn't take him out (would you all have liked to have seen Steven Pearl or Kenny Hall coming down the stretch? Me Either).

Scotty has no excuse. He is a shooting guard who couldn't have been that tired from all of the standing around he did. Scotty, please get some fire in the off season, work on your ball handling and confidence.

Go Vols!

1volk-nowi-tall writes:

The irony of the last call is that Mich. St bragged all week about their rebounding drill where they wear football gear at times, no fouls called in that drill and they beat each other up. They used that same tactic in their play against UT. Either of Princes's two consectutive blocking fouls could have been called charges. He is hit in the sternum both times. Then, with the game on the line a foul is called with 1.8 seconds left, with just the very slightest contact, after the ball has been hit by J.P. to decide this game. The same official had failed to call a foul under the basket numerous times during the game with much more contact and a much better view. When was the last time you saw anything called during the last 5-10 seconds of any college game unless it was the intentional foul by the losing team? You have not seen that call made in any previous NCAA Tourney game and you will most definitely not see that call made in the final four. The official who made that call most likely will not work the final four even if he had been previously looked at as a potential for the finals..I don't know if the official saluted J.P. or not but he surely stuck it to him and the Vols when he had a chance to make what would have been a really good no-call.

Colliervol writes:

in response to TNPilgrim:

Why would anyone even ask Hopson if he's staying?

No question about that. Hopson has all the physical tools but is nowhere near tough enough, mentally or physically. And his free throw shooting MUST improve. You can't play shooting guard in the NBA and shoot sub 60% free throws. Ain't happening.

lomas98 writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Yeah, I thought the official was going to give JP the second blocking call and call it a charge to even it out. He had decent position both times, but it appeared the ball handler pushed off a little more the second time. That was a huge turning point as many have stated. Some have said we didn't drive to the rim enough as we had done other games, but in the first half we didn't have to. We either made a three, had an alley oop, or scored on an offensive rebount.

Colliervol writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

You obviously haven't played or watched much basketball have you?

tulelakevol writes:

Thank You Wayne Chism, JP Prince, Bobby Maze, and all the VOLS! You guys put UT on the map. Thank You.

Colliervol writes:

Thought I'd wait to comment since the nerves were a little raw last night. I'm sure I'm not going to say anything that hasn't been said but here goes.

- UT played a great game but lost it in two areas: free throws and allowing second chance points. Neither of which the coach can control. It's called concentration and desire. UT played hard but Mich. State played harder on loose balls. I lost track of the number of baskets they got on second chances.
- If Tom Izzo is the best bench coach in the game today, then Bruce Pearl ain't far behind. He went nose to nose and call for call with Izzo and we were right there but for a referee's call with 1.8 seconds that could have just as easily have been a no call.
- If Hopson hits the second free throw, I believe Izzo calls time and we get set up on defense and make them shoot an outside shot to win. As it was, we were a little disorganized on defense and they took advantage of it. Credit to them.
- I think it really was a foul on Prince but you usually don't see referees call close ones like that in the last 5 seconds. I like to see players make plays to win a game and not give it to them on the free throw line. But they allowed the play at the end of the Ohio State game and didn't yesterday. Works that way sometimes.

The best thing about all of this though is that UT basketball is in great shape and isn't going anywhere as long as BP is there. Excellent recruiting class coming in to go along with Williams, Tatum, Hopson, Goins, and Hall. (Maybe Woolridge will retire from rapping and actually concentrate on basketball.) I thought all the returnees had their moments and they have the capability to be a solid team. Certainly will miss the three seniors though. All in all, just an outstanding effort and I'm very proud of them.

TommyJack writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Agree. Where would he go? Europe? The Euros would beat his brains out. Where he needs to go is the weight room. Then get a sports psychologist. The lad is pizzing away the future....too soft, mentally and physically.

GBO33 writes:

thanks for a great season,hate to see wayne,j.p. and bobby leave,bad call not only at the end of the game but other times to,S.H.sorry but you need another year or 2 with Bruce

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Hey look everyone, we have another 1D10T on here.

Scotty Hopson is regressing ALL on his own looks like to me. A coach cannot give a kid courage. He has to find that in himself. Right now, Scotty does not have to courage nor the confidence in himself to be the "go to" guy. I can only hope that he finds it this offseason.

We could all gripe as to why CBP doesn't pull Hopson in big moments and put Tatum in. Tatum has been playing at a much higher level. However, I believe he knows that this would only weaken his confidence even further.

Chism, JP, and B Maze, we're going to miss you guys greatly next year. Thanks for the wonderful memories you've given us this season; and your entire careers as "VOLS".

GO VOLS!!!!!!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Kinda like the first-out Florida teams? Everyone knew FL was and IS overrated. Listen to your own music, friend, then maybe you'll see that Donovan should have bound at first opportunity as well and STUCK WITH IT. Terrible decision.

Gumby#1381110 writes:

Prince played a great tourney, foul or no foul! Its time CBP got a HUGE raise!

bigorange61 writes:

I've watched the replay of the block time and time again. Doing my best to be objective. Pausing at the most critical moment. Prince didn't foul the guy. The ball, all ball, clearly hit Prince's elbow. If there was a foul it was on Williams with the body.

OldNumber7 writes:

You know, whether or not it was a foul, I cannot stand when refs don't let these guys play - particularly in this situation, tied, with only seconds left. I would have let a lot of physicallity go just for the sake of the game in the final ticks. And of course.....no one seems to be even discussing it this morning.

bkgunter writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

In all his years of playing at UT, Prince never committed a foul. Just ask him.

Prince is a great defender who draws loads of phantom fouls from inferior referees. The game is filled with whistles that stifle great defenders. I don't begrudge JP any of his in-game dissent---he sufferred through more than his share of false-positive foul calls. Buzz off.