UT signee Harris injures toe; Simmons shines

Tennessee signee Tobias Harris re-aggravated a small break in his toe and didn't play in the second half of the McDonald's High School All-American game Wednesday night in Columbus, Ohio.

Harris scored 13 points, all in the first half, for the East team. The West won the game, 107-104.

UT associate head coach Tony Jones, who recruited Harris, said the injury occurred in a high school game earlier this season.

Jones said he expects Harris will merely need to rest the foot for "a week-to-10 days" and still be able to play in the Jordan Brand All-Star Classic in Madison Square Garden on April 17.

Harris will enroll at UT in June and will play in the Pilot Rocky Top League at Bearden High School this summer.

Brandon Knight's 3-pointer from the right wing with 3 seconds left gave the West the victory.

Knight drove the right wing and stopped short as a defender fell down, taking his time to set up for the winning 3. It appeared he may have pushed off to get open.

"No, he just fell down," Knight said of the defender. "I didn't even know. I just tried to get it off."

But East MVP Jared Sullinger, a Columbus native and crowd favorite who has signed with Ohio State, quickly kidded him.

"Nah, he pushed off," he said with a laugh.

Sullinger missed a long heave at the buzzer.

Knight, out of Pine Crest School in Coral Springs, Fla., is undecided about his college.

Josh Selby of Baltimore, who is being recruited heavily by Tennessee, also had 13 points.

Lady Vol Signee Simmons Lights It Up: No one was more surprised than Meighan Simmons that she ended up as the player of the game.

The Tennessee signee scored 21 points in 14 minutes and Texas A&M-bound Karla Gilbert added 15 points to lead the West past the East, 84-75.

"To be honest with you, I wanted to come here and have fun," said Simmons, from Steele High School in Cibolo, Texas. "I wasn't expecting anything at all. It's just a blessing to be in a game like this."

Chiney Ogwumike, headed for Stanford, had 14 points and Duke's Richa Jackson added 12 points for the West, which built a big early lead and then hung on as the East mounted a furious comeback.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

Is Selby realistically still a possibility? Anyone have a straight answer?

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

I like Simmons game! She drives, she shoots the three, she blows by her defenders, she passes, pull up jumpers,and she is a good defender. She is lightning quick, and she has a good handle on the ball and can hold her own when she is being defended. During the game they spoke on how impressed Candace Parker is with her and said that Candace called Pat and asked her what was the hold up on getting Simmons signed. I am happy she is coming to UT. I hope she is allowed to use all of her skills while at UT. I hope the coaching staff gets the most out of her skills, and help her to improve them. Simmons is a confident player and she seems like a leader and a team player.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Is Selby realistically still a possibility? Anyone have a straight answer?

I really don't think so. Its going to be either UK or KU. I wish I was wrong but it doesn't look like its a possibility.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Is Selby realistically still a possibility? Anyone have a straight answer?

Rivals lists his interest level for us at "low". UK and KU are listed at "Medium" and Syracuse at "none".
Could you imagine T. Harris, Selby, and Big Baby all playing together next year? Did somebody say Final Four?

VolInIndy writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Can we afford another scholarship for anything but a post? Selby abandoned us and we filled in behind him quite nicely. I don't see where we have room for him without hurting our balance. Most sports sites don't even mention us as being in the running. They all list KU, UK, AZ and CT though.

VolInIndy writes:

Is McBee going to get a ship? As I recall, it was a pay your way for one and get the rest free>

rocky_topper writes:

Once we get Simmons, maybe we can "mold" her into a post player!

nocleats writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Is Selby realistically still a possibility? Anyone have a straight answer?

I think its a NIKE & AAU thing, $$, longshot at best.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to nocleats:

I think its a NIKE & AAU thing, $$, longshot at best.

World-Wide Wes, paging World-Wide Wes.

bryanvolsfan writes:

If Cal wants Selby, he's got the money to get him! if his grades and SAT scores are bad, Cal will make sure he makes the grades! KY fans have their heads...well you know! Wonder who KY will hire in a few years once Calipari puts them on probation?

tmartin writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

dont forget about steven

volsnationalchamps writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

Is Selby realistically still a possibility? Anyone have a straight answer?

Saw an interview with him last night on one of the local news channels after the game. He said he didn't know if UT was even still on his lists would have to go home and discuss with his mom. So doesn't sound good. Have to give coaching staff great credit for still being in running.

volsnationalchamps writes:

Tobias looked great while he played. Probably would have been MVP. 13 pts in 1st half, can't wait to get him and the other new guys in. Next year should be another big time year for the VOLS!!!

tennrich1 writes:

While it would be great to have Selby, I'm not sure we want to load up on a bunch of "one and doners"....Its just not healthy for your overall program....having said that...I would take him....however, we will be find without him...PERSONALLY, I FEEL STRONGLY BOTH WAYS!!!!!!!

mrvol2u writes:

He is set to announce this month. The scoop is he wants to come to UT but others in family trying to sway decision.

He committed once to UT but changed that. The deal: at his announcement, he will reach under the table and pull out UT hat and sign with us.

You get bet the house on it. I have all this information from a friend of a ticket agent who heard an airline attendant talking about it after she overheard a conversation between Dickie V and Mel Kiper on a conference call with Brent Hubbs.

Who knows? But it would be great.

I think all these kids now know about UT and that Pearl is staying put. I think things look very good for UT basketball.

Thanks again to the BBall team and CBP for a fun, great season.

GO VOLS!!

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

Those toe injuries might sound trite, but they can mess you up. Even an crooked nail digging in can last for months.

Glad the kid looked good.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

As for Selby....kind of wish that would just stay back-burner. Would be great to have him, but it would be stupid to be disappointed if he doesn't come in.

As for the predictions about next year: we lost our key guys in this run: JP, Wayne, and to an extent Bobby. You can't underestimate how valuable JP was with his length and ability to drive to the basket.

I'm still so damn pissed; we should be talking about the NC game, about getting past Butler. If we can just hit our free throws......arghhhhhh.

always_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to PINK_CHAMPAGNE:

You bring up interesting points....

VolunteerLifer writes:

I watched Harris the first half. He is smooth in his movements, very graceful and athletic. No wasted motion. Plays with his front to the basket. Hangs out at the three point line on offense and slashes to the bucket for rebounds or to take a pass as a cutter. Good ball handler - made some nice passes and dribbled the ball all the way up the court many times. Made a three point shot from top of the key. He's slender but his frame looks like it could hold another 15 to 20 lbs easy. There was no defense played in this game and I couldn't tell how good he is there, and I didn't see him banging down low so don't have a feel for his strength. I did notice he had trouble getting around ball screens when on defense. Creative offensive player and offensive rebounder, though. Actually looks more like a three player now than a four.

One thing is for sure - he'll look very good in an orange uniform.

Another kid who impressed me alot was C.J. Leslie.

kazoo writes:

in response to always_vol:

You bring up interesting points....

Well, I'm encouraged to hear that Summitt has actually signed a guard with some quicks!! What took her so long? I have not understood why she has signed a series of mediocre point guards and shooting guards who can shoot but aren't really quick enough to play the position well!! Summitt's guard signings have been weak for years.

And, too, the other issue is: Will PS let the girl play--or beat her offense out of her, as our beloved coach as done with many others, with her fanaticism about defense? Most of the girls get so paranoid about their defense they lose their offensive game--see Manning. Or, if they don't lose it, RARE is the Summitt player whose offensive game actually improves while they are at UT. Hornbuckle was an excellent athlete, but her offensive game regressed a little at UT, when of course it should have improved. I could name many others. Seriously, it's time for Pat to move into the 21st century. UConn is beating 3 seeds in the tourney by 40 and Pat's team is lumbering around like a big 10 football squad.

KCHS63 writes:

"See Manning?" You lost your cred on that comment. Alicia was an all around player on her high school team, like she is with the Lady Vols. She was NOT a shooter/scorer in high school. She has, however, developed into an offensive threat as a Lady Vol. Manning was a poor choice to make your point........

iowavol writes:

in response to KCHS63:

Anybody ragging on the winningest coach in sports - period - never had credibility. Anyway, seems folks like Holtzclaw, Catchings, Parker were all pretty good scorers as well as defenders. Dang Summitt!

martinvol34 writes:

in response to kazoo:

You are sad!

smokeyvol1 writes:

in response to kazoo:

And how many wins do you have?

winbigvols writes:

Harris is a good one. This was a season to be proud of and not forget anytime soon. Atleast Pearl can recruit, I am starting to get worried about our football recruiting. Dooley and staff are off to a slow start, don't really see many recruits having Tennessee in their top 5. I know its early but just saying, we need to get busy. Recruiting never can stop in Knoxville. Its a 365 day job and the most important part of the puzzle in Knoxville. We need to gain some momentum. Dooley just seems to me not to have the personality to be a good recruiter but we will see. Go Vols, can't wait till the 17th to see what we got, already got my tickets ordered.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to kazoo:

You open your mouth and show your ignorance. Point guards do not have to be super quick to handle the ball well and distribute it effectively. Remember Kelly Jolley? And your comments about Manning are way off base, as well as Hornbuckle, who developed into a #4 draft pick.
As for critiquing Coach Summitt as out of touch, you show who is out of touch. If I were a nescient like you I would not post. Look the word up - I know you wouldn't know the meaning.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to kazoo:

As for critiquing Coach Summitt as out of touch, you show who is out of touch. If I were as nescient like you I would not post. Look the word up - I know you wouldn't know the meaning.

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

Point guards may not have to be quick to pass the ball, or dribble it, but at this day in age, the game has changed. Teams are quicker at almost every spot, well the great teams are. And a slow point guard on defense is a liability trying to defend quicker guards. Lady vols showed that liability this year as time and time again they got driven by or either fouled the much quicker guard because they had got beaten. If the lady vols can at least get some quickness on the perimeter they will be in good shape. It is a must! Meighan provides that with good basketball skills. I just pray she gets to use them. I hope the coaching staff develops those skills and build her confidence. I hope that kamiko can find her confidence again. I don't know what happened with her. She showed so much promise. But she became hesitant on offense. These players have the skills, but the coaching staff needs to develop the skills, and get the best out of these players.

kazoo writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

Kelly Jolley: Yea, I remember her--she played a LONG time ago! You prove my point. Jolley was effective--she also played with Holdsclaw and Catchings, among others, as I recall. Yes, point guards need quickness. Good ones who aren't quick are pretty rare. Hornbuckle was an excellent athlete and defender, but she did not develop offensively; I don't care where she got drafted. PS's teams are better than most, for sure--but typically not as good as they should be offensively.

volfan2002 writes:

The Selby thing will be over shortly he is gonna declare on April 17. I don't know what our chances are with him, but he said all five teams on his list are even so no one knows anything until he announces. I really like Golden and think he will be a great player for us. Selby could hoist us to the number one or two recruiting class, but other than that were still gonna be ok either way.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

in response to VolInIndy:

At this point, he's undeserving.

SummittsCourt writes:

Simmons will be our starting point guard next season forf the Lady Vols!

When is tipoff!?

orangecountyvols writes:

Can hear it now, a player who does as "kazoo" wishes and plays the great offense, would soon hear him/her complaining........."why doesn't she play defense?"

Take the coaching suggestions to Pat and give her your expert suggestions.........and be sure to mention Manning when you do. Good grief.