Dooley holds no ill will toward Brown, but a return unlikely

Tennessee running back Bryce Brown (11) Memphis linebacker Winston Bowens (50) on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2009 at Neyland Stadium.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Bryce Brown during a March 16, 2009, news conference, where he announced he will sign with Tennessee.

Photo by Wichita Eagle

The lines of communication have been open.

But the door to a return for Bryce Brown would appear to be closed.

The former No. 1 running back recruit in the country has had some contact with Tennessee coach Derek Dooley since Brown decided to leave the program before spring practice started in March. The conversations clearly don't seem to be leading Brown back to the Vols, though.

"No, I don't think that (there's a chance Brown will return), but there's been a lot more dialogue," Dooley said Monday. "I love Bryce, I mean, I'm for Bryce. I don't not like somebody because they don't want to be here.

"You want every young man to get in the right fit to where he blossoms and grows up and matures. Do I think our program would be better suited for both (Brown and Aaron Douglas)? Absolutely, and I've told them that. I feel like they're leaving something that they don't know anything about, and I wish both of them would stay in our program a year and then if they don't like it, we can shake hands."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Tilly85 writes:

Time to jump in the POOLE! I'm honestly surprised, as I'm sure everyone is, that there hasn't been more fallout with three coaches in as many years. I liked Bryce, but I am really excited for Tauren's opportunity. It is deserved.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

I may not watch a game this year. It hurts too much.

mcoll4 writes:

Has anyone at KNS tried to interview Bryce to get his take on this?

Orange_Crush writes:

Just watch the UT-Martin game, and then none of the other ones!

SEC1 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

6 in a row!!!!

write it down!!!

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to SEC1:

6 in a row!!!!

write it down!!!

You're pathetic!!!!

Write it down!!!!

99gator writes:

in response to MiserableFloridaVol:

I may not watch a game this year. It hurts too much.

you'll watch every game and you know it.

think of how happy you will be when the good times come back.

that you were there through thick and thin.

one of the reasons why most gator fans are so insufferable is that florida took beatings for so long that most of the fans are indulging in dishing it back out.

tennessee will be back. it won't happen this year. but, it will happen.

in the meantime, just cling to "what if"

newtonrail writes:

I don't understand how Brown has gone this long without formally asking for a release. The Spring Semester is almost over. He has to go somewhere I would think. The SEC schools will be excepted, and all on schedule for the next couple of years.

cjones72 writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

i wish they would stay also but they would have to sit out a couple of games if they did .

Tilly85 writes:

Guys, let 'em play a couple games before you put the nails in the coffin. SEC fans from other schools come on here and post phooey because their just trying to make us feel more doom and gloom. I don't buy it. I think we're going to be a lot harder to score on than people think, which will keep us in a lot of games. Other SEC fans that come on this blog: you're pathetic. We all know UF and Bama have good programs. If coming on here and ranting about our team makes you feel better about yourself, then I really feel sorry for you. You need to get some hobbies in life. Maybe find a girlfriend. IDK, you obviously have a lot of time on your hands b/c I'm sure you spend hours following your own team's and other SEC team's blogs too. Never quite understood people who do that. Probably because I don't hang out with losers. On a side note, playoff hockey is amazing. The gf is from the North and has gotten this Southern boy into it.

KNSsports (staff) writes:

Obviously, this is an archived photo. The caption has been changed in our system to reflect the correct date. Thanks for pointing it out.

TMCPEAK writes:

WHAT CAN BE DONE TO STOP THE BLEEDING!

TennesseeGorilla writes:

I hope Brown comes back...he is obviously having second thoughts, he hasn't transfered yet. It would be great to have both players back we sure could use them.

sm1 writes:

I don't know what Mr. Brown is thinking these days.

I remember last year against Western Kentucky, early in the game, Bryce Brown inflicted a good hard solid hit against a linebacker (or defensive back) to break up what otherwise would have been a sure interception. After seeing that, I said to myself, "There's a football player."

I too hope that he gets his head screwed back on right, and I also hope that he remains a vol--just as long as presence does not cause riff or upset team chemistry in any way.

FWBVol writes:

in response to 99gator:

you'll watch every game and you know it.

think of how happy you will be when the good times come back.

that you were there through thick and thin.

tennessee will be back. it won't happen this year. but, it will happen.

in the meantime, just cling to "what if"

You have a valid point to explain the attitudes of Gator fans over the age of 35 or 40, but for Florida fans under the age of 30, of which I know many, that are obnoxious, they are that way because all they've known is Florida winning.

It's as if some of the younger fans think that Florida invented the game of college football. It would be like a 25-year old baseball fan not acknowledging Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron because they played before the young fan was born.

USNAVol writes:

Is there anyone on this site who wouldn't just love to be able to step into a 20 year-old athlete's body and have the chance to play football for Tennessee? If Brown and Douglas don't want to be here, then it's better for them to go. If they aren't motivated to 'give their all' - even after a year with Tennessee football - then they aren't likely to 'be there' when the team really needs them. These guys obviously have talent, but UT isn't going to win consistently on the strength of talent alone - not without lots of dedication desire and sacrifice - you know, all that football stuff - from the players. If these guys aren't ready to give all they've got to put UT back on top . . .better they move on and make room for someone who is ready. I think we've seen that Bryce Brown's considerable talent isn't enough to make him a superstar in the SEC if he isn't motivated to do the things good football players have to do to become great. Maybe it's a maturity issue. Whatever. I wish them both well, but the clock's ticking and it isn't about them, but about the team. We need guys ready to step up and go to work instead of focusing on life's imperfections and their own discontent.

FWBVol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

From all indications, CDD has told Brown he's wanted and done everything he can to make Bryce feel that way.

Brown was, along with Richardson, the two "Kiffin-most" recruits. I don't know if any coach we might have hired could have kept him in the fold, or, for that matter, Douglas.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I totally disagree with your post, nothing wrong with wishing the best for your team and standing behind them!

Halls3 writes:

I don't see this as a devastating loss to be honest. I know Rivals rated him #1 last year but that's just 1 recruiting outlet. Others had him out of the Top 10 & I believe they were accurate. He shows flashes of talent but he consistantly missed holes up the middle to try to outrun people on the outside. No offense to him but minus Ingram of Bama & Florida's backs, no offensive player in the SEC is gonna outrun defensive players. They're too fast. Good luck to him though at Kansas State b/c I believe that's where he will land since it is over 8 hours away & I'm sure Dooley will apply that rule to Brown as well. Whether or not Dooley is successful won't depend on Brown or Douglas but instead this year & next year's freshman classes. Like it or not Dooley needs time & with this fan base, as impatient & hungry for success as it is, I don't know that he will get the 5+ years he will need to turn this mess Kiffin & Hamilton created around.

VolsINFan writes:

I want players who want to play for the University of Tennessee. If a player doesn't want to be a Volunteer, then good luck wherever you land at.

Go Vols!

dvhill100 writes:

There is always a maturity issue at this age. These young men have been indulged their whole life due to their physical talents. It is always easier to quit when it gets hard. I agree with a previous poster, keep them if they will do what needs to be done. If they become a distraction, then wish them luck and get them out of there. Too bad they can't all have Al Wilson's, Eric Berry's, or Nick Reveiz's attitude, personality and team first attitude.

rockytopron writes:

"I love Bryce, I mean, I'm for Bryce. I don't not like somebody because they don't want to be here."

Well said Coach Dooley!

tbmccord#279221 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I see a lot of Kelly Washington in Brown. Washington was a cancer to the team with his "me first" attitude. I don't want anyone that is not a team player. Remember 1998 guys. That is the year after the "last chance we have for a long time for a championship." Peyton was in the Pros and Tee Martin was supposed to lead us to a mediocre season. We all know how that turned out.

vols37 writes:

Dooley is a joke. I don't blame him for taking this job. But does anyone really believe that a guy who spent a few years at La Tech is ready to be the football coach at UT. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're in for several Mike Shula type seasons.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to SEC1:

6 in a row!!!!

write it down!!!

And this makes you some great furtune teller? Give us a year or two under Dooley and then this might be a contest.

Biggie writes:

in response to volsrock54:

C'mon now, show some class. If he doesn't want to be here, wish him well. He's just a kid and there's no telling what Laney Kiffin told him.

TommyJack writes:

in response to vols37:

What's the joke? He's trying to right a listing ship. He stepped into a bucket of doo-doo. Ease off.

volfan53 writes:

in response to vols37:

The only joke around here is you thinking you know something about football. You probably complained when CBP was named basketball coach because you didn't know him and he didn't come from a big basketball school. Do a little research before you make another stupid comment. CDD will be a great coach. No one and I mean no one steps into the situation CDD stepped into and does well at the beginning. He has to repair the image coach lame has left us with. It will take some time but you young guys want everything right now. Learn a little patience and you will appreciate what you have a lot more. We have a great coach with real moral fiber. He has a system and if you don't like it then you need to play somewhere else. I like a coach who isn't afraid to put his foot down no matter which player it is.

If you were to research what all the players and opposing coaches have to say about CDD you would realize what a diamond in the rough we have. I think he will be here for a long time and be very successful. Thanks for taking the job coach. I am behind you 100%.

Trifecta_Storm writes:

in response to Halls3:

LOL that hamilton created this mess, Fulmer and Kiffin created this mess, time for Dooley to clean it up!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

VolFan53......Tilly 85.....dvhill100.........Halls 3

All of you said it very well !

VOLinAthensGA writes:

in response to vols37:

Coach Dooley's career and Mike Shula's career are two different people with two different paths.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

I agree with Dooley’s original assessment regarding these types of issues – he shouldn’t have to recruit players who are already here!! If they don’t want to be here… fine… let them go and wish them well. No one person is greater than UT football... we'll move forward with or without Bryce.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to cjones72:

i just dont understand the mindset of people wanting Brown to stay. I think Dooley should have already kicked him off the team. If he lets him back now, how will that make the other RB feel after putting in all the hard work and earning the carries? It seems with Myles not getting suspended and leaving Brown with the possibility of returning that he will let the good players do whatever they want and still play.

1974Vol writes:

IMO Brown ran too upright to stay healthy in the SEC. I think he stayed banged up alot last year as a result of that running style. Before anyone says it I know Eric Dickerson ran upright and was a heck of a TB but most backs that don't give you just shoulder pads and helmet on impact don't have the durability to last in this league. Great talent though and would still like to have him but don't think he could be an every down back even if he stayed.

volsman33 writes:

Let him go we dont need him anyway. Poole is going to steal the show anyways

99gator writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

Not true. Just no one opened their mouth until then.

There are two types of gator fan.

Those who have seen ther bad times and are enjoying their current state of affairs to the fullest.

And those who have never seen bad times

orangenwhitefan writes:

Neither one of these fools know the meaning of loyalty. Once they showed any doubt they wanted to play for UT, i dont EVER want to see them in Neyland Stadium again. Good riddance Brown and Douglas.

Vol86 writes:

in response to ALLVOLNC:

That makes alot of sense. On the funny side someone has to change Monte's Depends.

1974Vol writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

I'm right there with you Dawg. I posted a couple of weeks ago my biggest fear is the Ducks then Gators come to K-Town and just annihilate a young, unprepared Vol team and DD just loses them for the balance of the season. One thing about ‘ol Phil was he had a knack for getting them back after tough and/or embarrassing loses. With no proven QB or OL we are on thin ice. The only chance this team has is to go out and play their guts out every game. But that’s a lot to expect if the QB play is as bad as it looks like it could be. Will Dooley get them to buy in enough to keep playing hard if they really get beat up early? Ultimately that may have more to do with Senior leadership than the new coaching staff.

abnermc writes:

in response to SEC1:

6 in a row!!!!

write it down!!!

I believe it's more than 6. You were thinking Basketball ,right?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Nothing has been said about his reasons to leave..He's in a first class,high profile program with good coaching ande he's getting plenty of playing time..As a freshman he was pretty average..Trent richardson played way better..I don't think leaving hurts anything but depth..I still believe Neal who enrolls for fall might suprise everybody; if he learns fast Neal might be the #2 back..He's a bruising north;south back that should not be overlooked

givehim6 writes:

Judging by how I saw him play he can be replaced.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

I think it's just too difficult to move around with all the bags of ice in there... it's not cozy. :)

6MillionDollarPumpkin writes:

in response to SEC1:

6 in a row!!!!

write it down!!!

You are a Ra-tard.........like rain man!!!

orangevolz writes:

in response to MiserableFloridaVol:

I may not watch a game this year. It hurts too much.

Please do all of us a favor and don't watch any of them. I am a Vol, no matter what, and appears you are not.

RoyaltyVol writes:

We all know Bryce Brown will play for K State most likely, I just wish he would transfer already so we don't have to hear another story about him. Lets focus on our team and the guys who are want to be Vols.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Scratch the "are" in last line, oops!

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to vols37:

Man...where have you been? DDs credentials have been discussed repeatedly on these boards. Some don't like him and some love him, but there's no doubt that the guy grew up living, eating, and breathing college football. He may not have had the wins at La Tech, but he has recruited and assisted at some great venues. Look up his resume before you start calling Dooley a joke.

And give him a chance. Like many have said, there's a whole bunch of naysayers out there that are writing this guy off even before he's coached a game at UT. After all we've been through in the past 2 years, ya gotta give this guy 2 years to make an impact. So far though, I like what I see, and like DD and some posters have said, you naysayers are doing nothing but hurting us and driving away any potential recruits that read these comments. Either be a fan or at least let all know that you are a troll from another team. Geesh, I just don't get you guys!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Orange_Juiced:

Volstorm,

One of the rare sensible posts submitted on this subject.

Here's the fact...........it's not about Dooley. It's the players. You either have the top players or you don't. Meyer or Saban could have come here as coach and with what Tennessee has going into 2010, IMO those two wouldn't do any better than Derek.

After having the situation dumped in his lap, he just happens to be the present coach the negatives want to feast on with their comments and predictions.
Sort of wish some of the so-called experts already running down the coaches and the team could step in and display their expertise here. Today is May 4 and some make you wonder why even play the games in September? If we do struggle, so what? Truth is many Vol fans are unrealistic and just want that 12-0 season regardless of whether the players or coaches are presently capable with what we have to work with.
It's just hard to be patient but that's what is going to have to happen.

BamaVol writes:

in response to MiserableFloridaVol:

I may not watch a game this year. It hurts too much.

You need to watch the games, the Vols will win some this year that they didn't last year, only because of coaching.