Myles won't miss playing time following arrest

Tennessee defensive backs Stephaun Raines (29) and Darren Myles Jr. (3) celebrate after Myles intercepted the ball from wide receiver Gerald Jones during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Apr. 17, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Darren Myles is being punished.

But with the timing of the Tennessee safety's arrest perhaps worse than his actual incident, he won't have to miss any playing time.

Vols coach Derek Dooley was clearly still disappointed Myles for following up a breakout spring by picking up charges for public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest hours after the Orange and White Game in his first comments to the News Sentinel about the issue. But for the most part, the matter appears to be closed.

"We’re handling it internally," Dooley said. "I think it’s a combination of discipline and education, and not just with Darren. You know, when I got here I know Darren had had some issues here, but he’s been phenomenal. He even got a spring award, so I mean in some ways it was embarrassing because he had been doing so well - doing well in school, doing well in football.

"He made a bad decision, and I involved the entire team in that because it’s very important to our team that we change our culture and how people view us. It really isn’t representative of 90, 95 percent of who we are. It hurt the team, so we’re doing some things internally, handling it internally and that’s the end of it. Hopefully Darren will never have this problem again."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

So, it turns out that Dooley is a college football coach after all.

bebecerveza writes:

Seems like Double D is sagging just a bit, not as firm as I thought on discipline.

rhmhrh writes:

Resisting arrest and no games missed...this is disturbing.Ross

Vol86 writes:

in response to bebecerveza:

I will be out of charactor and say, "he has to recruit some players before he can be tough."

bugman (Inactive) writes:

oh boo woo cry babies

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to rhmhrh:

Resisting arrest and no games missed...this is disturbing.Ross

Cops will throw that charge on you just for asking why you're being detained. I got manhandled once by KPD when I got pulled over, head smacked on the hood of my car, handcuffed and taunted. I was released on the spot a few minutes later. My charge? Failure to turn on my headlights. Parking lights were on and I didn't pull the knob all the way out.

Carlitovol writes:

Myles had better keep his nose clean from here on out. I'm sure he understands the consequences of his actions, and if he gets in trouble again, I'm guessing CDD will bring the hammer down. Let's just hope DMJr learned from this mistake.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Been there.

volfan2002 writes:

This was a huge strike one almost two strikes in one incident. Let's hope that Myles has learned his lesson and that the punishment, not severe, turns out to be the right way to go.

GOJO writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

***
You told it like it is. Resisting arrest can mean anything. I heard that in this case it was simply asking the question, "what for."

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Glad to see that Dooley is not overreacting. This takes some courage on his part.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Been there.

With your screenname I can tell. I was active in the 101st when that happened. Gotta lot of that "so you think you're some bad Army guy" junk. The ranking officer out that night showed up and ripped the patrolmen a new one. Told me he had been 10th Group. Cops and MP's are the same, they hate us grunts because they know we can whip their tails even when we're drunk.

Ironcity writes:

Not sure why so many get upset when the coach doesn't use a sledgehammer to squash a Nat. Small crime small punishment. Glad Dooley did the right thing instead of listening to bunch of ravenous fans who seem to think unfair punishment betters a program.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to fourthbestinseceast:

sambad writes:

Smart coach. I'll bet Myles is attending sunrise services by running the stadium steps. That is the proper way to handle a problem of this nature. Kids make mistakes and sunrise services is the best action to prevent this type of problem from happening again. If you run until you puke a few mornings you certainly will consider that feeling the next time you think of taking that extra drink.

Orangeyouavol writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

OUCH!!!

VolAlum2003 (Inactive) writes:

I love it! A week ago, everyone on here was basking in the eventual disciplinary beat down that Myles was going to receive from Head Character Coach Dooley. Would Dooley suspend him for 8 games or the entire season?!? What hardline message would Dooley send to all potential thugs that even halfway looked at playing for UT football????

No more bad apples! No more criminals! Rah! Rah! Rah!

And now..."Resisting arrest can mean anything."

You guys are great. Thanks for the laugh.

RoadTrip writes:

Peer pressure works very well when the offense is relatively minor like this one is. In fact it can be worse on the young man than dealing with the charges with the authorities. He will not be wanting more shooters anytime soon.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Too true, especially if the team views it as hurting them. Nobody wants to be "that guy" who screws over his buddies. In the Army we called that guy a "Blue Falcon" (or a Buddy _ucker).

easleychuck writes:

I believe that Coach did what a good many old school coaches did in the past based on the words from his quote below about involving the entire team and changing the culture. Most likely involved some extra work on everybody's part with Darren front and center. Peer pressure is a great motivator. I believe that Myles and the rest of the guys will learn from his bad decision and move forward. Never believed that this was going to result in a suspension. If he had been driving a vehicle, yes. He basically made a fool of himself. Many before have done the same. Many after will also do the same. Hopefully, the team gets the point of Coach Dooley's leadership in the matter.

Coach Dooley's quote:

FLAVOLS writes:

Again, Much ado about nothing.

GerryOP writes:

I get the strong impression that this Dooley dude guy really knows what he is doing! The future is looking brighter every day.

124 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Tell the truth man.There is more to your claim than you are telling.The law says you must burn your head lights always before sunup and any time after sundown,and anytime you need to be useing your wipers.I would pull you over and remind you of the law and nothing more unless you gave reason for something else.Heck,I want even ask for your drivers license unless there is cause.

Some of you simply have a big one on for the KPD.No,I do not work in or near Knoxville.In fact,after May I will be free.I said Free to do as I please as long as what I please also pleases my wife.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

No more bad apples! No more criminals! Rah! Rah! Rah!

And now..."Resisting arrest can mean anything."

You guys are great. Thanks for the laugh.

I cant believe he didnt at least get suspended for the first game. I dont see how that shows Dooley is a strict disciplinarian like he was made out to be. Regardless of the validity of resisting arrest. He was underage drinking. He did get kicked out of a club, then proceeded to act a fool riding on the hood of a car in the parking lot. I lean toward the point of view that when a cop tells someone they are under arrest then you comply and dont keep trying to turn around and ask why, but I'm sure Dooley's strict discipline will turn his attitude around.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

You want more info? Here it goes: I was visiting my brother in town. Called me and told me to meet him at some bar. I don't know my way around Knoxville, got lost, and ended up in East Knoxville around midnight. Got directions at a gas station, and when I left I didn't pull the light knob all the way out. Didn't notice cause the parking lot was lit up. Was pulled over as soon as I pulled out. They got my info and went back to their car. They (there were two cops) came back and I was asked to exit the vehicle because my car "met a description". They searched the car and found a K-Bar in the backseat. They went to cuff me (to detain me) so I grabbed my hands behind my back. Jerk yelled at me to put my hands behind my back AFTER I clasped my hands BEHIND my back. I said "they are behind my back", so he slams my face into the hood. I got real pissed but I didn't say a thing nor did I struggle. That's when the taunting started.

Bottom line, I had a Purple Heart plate, a CIB sticker on my rear windshield, and was wearing an Army shirt. Clear as day I was a grunt. It's common knowledge in the armed forces that MP's and cops hate grunts. Not all, mind you, but alot of them do. You know why cops get a bad rap, because some of them abuse their power. Yeah, my headlights were off and I could've been asked to turn them on, heck I would've taken the ticket without argument. They went too far, and that's why I don't trust KPD.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Sounds to me like behind closed doors Dooley gave him a second chance, and who knows, maybe let him know one more and you will sit or worse.

We don't know what was said though so you Dooley naysayers leave it at that.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

We don't know what was said though so you Dooley naysayers leave it at that.

Sounds like more than a second chance according to Dooley's own words. He said, when he got to UT he knew Myles had had some issues. I wonder what those issues were? I would be glad if Dooley did tell Myles that if he messed up again then he will be kicked off, but I would also have liked to seen him add a little suspensions to at least give the appearance of holding players accountable.

Denvervol4life writes:

in response to GerryOP:

124 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

Fear the Dooley wow!!!! No one is fearing the Dooley....We don't have a single commit I understand they don't mean nothing right now but good grief a couple would be nice...When other schools have close to twenty...No one fears a middle of the pack WAC coach and alot of you guys will get on me for down playing Dooley but when we finish with three or four wins I'd say 85% of the people on here will be saying fire Dooley...I see alot of people on here saying eight wins on our schedule please show me eight wins PLEASE!!! We have a tough schedule I'd say one of the toughest...

cjones72 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Now you tell the truth most cops anymore the first thing they do is ask for license and registration then they ask if they can search your car for drugs and it dont matter what you get pulled over for .

flatrock writes:

If the punishment involves a heavy dose of early
morning stairs-running, I am all for it...Nothing
better than a series of a.m. puking sessions to
get an individual's attention...I don't know
the player's history, so I am going with DD
on this one!

NoSirRee writes:

in response to VolAlum2003:

No more bad apples! No more criminals! Rah! Rah! Rah!

And now..."Resisting arrest can mean anything."

You guys are great. Thanks for the laugh.

Haha, well said the guy could literally do anything and they would agree with it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be a "real UT fan" and would have to stop attending games etc etc, what a joke

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to GOJO:

***

Unfortunately, while I think in general cops are professionals, they do have too many hoodlums in uniform who let power go through their heads and out their rear. Is this what Myles actually faced? I don't know. I wasn't there. But I am familiar with uniformed hoodlums.

TommyJack writes:

You mopes that want to be critical of CDD...wait for a real reason. Neither you nor I know what kind of punishment was doled out. Ease up.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to cjones72:

I told you what my fellow officers and I do.Not what you have heard or want to believe.Most officers are not jerks as some of you believe.However there are some that do not belong on any force.Most of us are not that way thank goodness

Cldvols1 writes:

Things are fine, close the Darren Myles case and look forward to September 4th! GBO!!!

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to cjones72:

You're not talking to me CJ and Halloffamebowler but let me share this. We pretty much know what cops are supposed to do in terms of procedures. I know firsthand and via being a bystander that there's cops who do not follow procedure. I've seen a guy cooperating with everything they told him to do, yet grab him and force his face onto the hot asphalt (that was was in Fallon, Nevada) and his face practically cooked as a result. I saw a 14 year handcuffed kid panic and run, stumble and fall, then shot dead in the back as he tried to get back to his feet. Handcuffed, just how far was he going to get? 14 years old. An escaped convict managed to grab a cop's gun, shot him. A guy saw the officer lying in the bush and the convict running off. he calls the cops telling them an officer is down. he stands out on the street to direct them to the officer. One car arrives with a dog he promptly releases and it grabs the guy by the balls. His screams of pain are ignored for 20 minutes as the cops attend to their fallen comrade. But the kickers is when interviewed on TV by this mishap the smirk on that officers face as he says he's sorry it happened is clearly gloating about it. Then as he leaves you see him high five-ing fellow officers in the background while the reporter comments on why citizens in that particular neighborhood are reluctant to cooperate with cops. I saw a California cop deliberately drive onto the foot of a guy who was cuffed and lying face down on the ground as commanded. All he did was beg a cop to use his cell phone to tell his wife to come get his 6 year old daughter who was in the car. I can go on and on with what I saw including a gun pointed at my face because I sneezed during a traffic stop on a windy, dust blown day in Amarillo, Texas. Cop grinned and said, "Scared?" But I've had good encounters too and believe most cops aren't what these hoodlums imply about cops. But there are plenty of uniformed hoodlums out there. So don't presume you know this and that until you have walked in the shoes of those whose experience has shown them what actually happens out there as opposed to what's suppose to happen. Just for clarity sake again, I'm not anti-cop. No siree. I know darn well what would happen if you took cops off the street for as little as three days. They're our front line against societal elements that have no regard for others' property of life. I like cops, it's the uniformed hooligans I dislike. they disgrace the uniform and the badge.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Thanks for the breath of common sense TJ.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I say, just be as critical of him as you would any other coach or any past UT coaches. After all, he's in the big time now and thats what happens to big time coaches. All I know is when the next incident happens, people will look back to Dooley's light consequence here, and blame him for not being tough enough. I think he's doing what it takes to win which is good as long as you win otherwise all these "little" things will be brought to the forefront.

orangecountyvols writes:

Interesting the comments the policemen made in reference to the lights needing to be turned on re darkness and rain etc. Here in Virginia, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a policeman pulling anyone over for driving in pouring down rain with the wipers on but no lights. In fact, I have seen policemen meeting them and ignoring them as they rode past. Same thing goes for the parking lights. Once, a policeman told me that's what they are really for...parking. Still, in almost complete darkness, many people have a passion for parking lights and won't turn on the headlights.

Agree, some of the police do take advantage of the uniform they are wearing, not many..........but some.

kjennin3 writes:

in response to AtlantaHawk:

wow...you're an idiot

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

I agree that he is in the big time now. But if you honestly think that bringing the hammer down on this one will stop any incidents in the future well I don't believe it. Am I saying that they should get away with these incidents..NO! But just an example..Saban brought the hammer down on a player and dismissed him after an arrest and 10 months later another Bama player got arrested. Incidents are gonna happen regardless of how hard you come down on anyone. It is sad but true!

Munsterlander writes:

in response to TommyJack:

orangeman1 writes:

in response to osbymartin#581730:

Oh, I totally agree. I dont think much of anything will prevent an incident like this happening again, but when it does, his lack of suspension will be thrown up against him. "If he would have set an example" Thats just the way it is. For some, nothing less than kicking him off the team will show discipline. I'm not in that camp. I do think a 1 game suspension(at least not start) would send a little sterner message though. Not being able to open the season at Neyland as a starter for the team would send a message to the rest of the players that if you keep clean you will be rewarded.

bnakk#240693 writes:

Maybe the team is going to have a blanket party for him?

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Even with that they would still blast him. Oh not start or sit out against UT-Martin. The sad truth is..he can't win anyway that he turns on this. But not having all the facts in the situation other than the he said/she said scenario. I am not in a position to say what the appropriate discipline should be. He could be running his legs off, he could be punishing the team with running...who knows?

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

I hate to hear that you are retiring, because it sounds like you are a real good cop. And I really respect good cops, like my big brother, who I know is a great cop. But I have also seen the other side of police departments. They all seem to have their share of the little punks. The ones who were never that tough, maybe got bullied some, but now they get to wear a badge and gun, and it's their turn to do the bullying. As Gator_Hater said, these guys are really intimidated by military grunts, and try to impress them with how tough that badge makes them. I agree that there are many more cops like you than the kind I described, but it only takes a few of them to give you a bad taste for police. My brother realizes this, and he hates those kind cops more than I do.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to osbymartin#581730:

He will get blasted cause he's in the big time now. I just think giving someone else an opportunity that has kept their nose clean would send a better message than not sitting a player cause he's the starter message that some will perceive.

Need_2_Know writes:

in response to GOJO:

***

Nonetheless, it would be nice if KNS had posted a link to either the arresting officer's report or, better yet, the video/audio footage of the event. Despite the unarguable experiences of a few posters, I'd like to see it and judge for myself who might have "crossed the line".

Is that too much to ask?

SEAL_9821 writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

Let me start off by saying that I really appreciate your service for this great country. Easy on what your saying about cops on here. I myself am a Kentucky State Trooper and things don't go that way in the state police. Yeah, every department always has their hot heads that like to hide behind the badge, but don't let the certain few shadow the good deed most of us do out here everyday. I spent 8 yrs as an Active Duty Seal, 3 1/2 of those were in different countries doing missions. Trust me I've seen many hot head punks in your branch also...many that we had to rescue from being lost outside the wire. Don't take this message the wrong way soldier but, think what you say before you say it because the next thing you know, that cop will be pulling you out of a vehicle one day trying to save your life.

Ironcity writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Yes I think we should reward starts based on how nice our players are. Our players should also wave when the RB's go running by to the endzone and pat them on the back after every score. I don't think we should reward hard work or talent that would be to obvious of way to pick starters.