Alan Posey plans to play at Tennessee

When Tennessee’s second commitment of the 2010 class went public, it wasn’t much of a surprise.

But don’t expect UT coaches to complain about the anticlimactic nature of the announcement.

Alan Posey, who had been committed to being a Vol for weeks, finally confirmed his decision to the News Sentinel and the general public early Tuesday morning.

The commitment fills a key need for the Vols: offensive line.

The 6-6, 305-pounder from Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., had scholarship offers from LSU, Louisville, West Virginia, Maryland and Illinois among others, but whittled his list of potential suitors down to UT and Clemson last month.

Posey’s commitment is proof that UT head coach Derek Dooley’s connections in Georgia will pay dividends. Dooley – along with UT defensive line coach Chuck Smith – both attended Clarke Central, which Posey said was a major reason why he felt so close to UT’s program.

Posey is UT’s second commitment of the 2011 class, joining linebacker Christian Harris from Etowah High School in Woodstock, Ga.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

qspr91iz writes:

This is great. Hopefully, this will start some momentum. We need all the ol and dl we can get.
GO VOLS!!!

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

Welcome aboard young man.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Great news for UT, not so great for my other team. Welcome to Rocky Top, great things lay in store for you. With hard work and determination, you can help UT turn the corner and head for the top. Glad to have you as a VOL.

kjohnson008 writes:

One O-Lineman down, at least 4 four more to go. Welcome Mr. Posey.

paradisetaxi writes:

Thanks Posey !

Biggie writes:

Great news

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball. Keep finding the Biggest, Strongest, badest and quick off the snap guys out there....this is great news!!! Coach him up!!!

TommyJack writes:

Niiice

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Come on KNS proof readers...first sentence says he is in 2010 class, last sentence says he is 2011 class. WTG there KNS, nothing like screwing up good news.

OrangeCrush writes:

Bring it AP. A BIG guy with a great GPA too. Maybe this will be the start in recruting we've been looking for.

Great job CDD and CCS.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

Bring on the big uglies!

dfreems writes:

As a UGA fan I would be concerned if UGA got a player from a high school in Knoxville that UT did not offer. I was wondering if UT fans are concerned that this kid was not offered by UGA when Clarke Central is 1 mile from the UGA campus. You would think UGA coaches would have seen him play a lot and must not be worthy of a offer for some reason. Just wondering what you all thought?

41_14gbo writes:

in response to dfreems:

Or it could be that there were deep ties to UT from the forefront. All things are possible.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to dfreems:

It's hard to argue the logic of your post. I get excited, nad then look at thesde players being recruited by Louisville, Maryland, etc . . . BFD. I'd like to see being recruited by GA, AL, AU. etc. I don't get it.

bbrown#636681 writes:

in response to dfreems:

We said the same thing about Knoxville native Chad Pennington, but he turned out alright (NFL's current all-time leader in career completion percentage).

Since we're exchanging thoughts, we're all wondering what you thought of that 45-19 booty spank we put on you last year?

VolInIndy writes:

in response to dfreems:

Hey, w've kicked our own butts for missing on local talent several times lately. If LSU and WVU want him, he;s a keeper. Aren't the dawgs long on young OL anyway?

AJVol writes:

Bring on the BIG BOYS, we need more! Welcome to BIG ORANGE COUNTRY! Way to go CDD and staff, keep bringin'em in!

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to bbrown#636681:

I love to beat Georgia, but what do Pennington and last year's game have to do with this guy's question?

VOLsince68 writes:

Great news! Guys and girls, don't listen to the BS form the Gawga poster. I'm sure he means well, but there's no sense in getting in an uproar about it. Glad to hear Posey is a Vol. All I can say is.......Next.

GO VOLS!!!!!!

finn writes:

Nice pick up on recruiting and a great addition to the O line. Welcome to UT, Alan!

bbrown#636681 writes:

in response to AllVol2008#1353998:

Pennington went to high school in Knoxville, just like Posey went to high school in Athens. Shows that schools sometimes miss out on great talent right in their own backyard.

Thought reminding him of last year's game might give him pause about running his mouth on a Tennesse board again.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to dfreems:

Not really… O-line is one of UGA’s strengths right now, so I can’t imagine their in hot pursuit of more O-linemen. They’re recruiting efforts clearly need to focus on other areas. Just as I’m sure that we’re not going after too many wide receivers this year.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to bbrown#636681:

Makes sense. I just hope that's what has happened here. Still seems like we're being way out-recruited by Florida and bma, etc.

GerryOP writes:

As has been said before, the sky is not falling!

123 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

RoadTrip writes:

A Big Orange welcome to AP!

Not to worry on the Rivals/Scout rating - the commits will be rated after the summer. Camps, scholarship offers, and scouting performance on the field add into the rating.

The two commits are indicators of the type of student athlete that CDD and staff plan to bring to Rocky Top - low maintenance, high achievers on the field and in the classroom. Who could ask for more?!

GBO!

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to dfreems:

Sometimes the best place to hid a valuable item is right under people's noses.

volsman33 writes:

Awesom just what we needed another big man upfront bring em in CDD!

CroKev writes:

Great job getting Posey! It probably helped our cause that he wasn't ignored and left off a visitors' list at the OW game. Man, can you imagine the tone of these posts had we lost yet another kid to Clemson. I wonder what Clemson is saying on their posts down there. Anyway, this is good news! Hopefully, we'll now be able to pull in some of the guys that we're actually in fierce battles for.

dfreems writes:

in response to VOLsince68:

GO VOLS!!!!!!

I did not mean to sound controversial. I was just wondering what UT fans though. It was just meant to be thought provoking not a dig at UT. UGA signed the wide reciever, Lonnie Outlaw, last year who had no offers and I was and am still concerned.

uncle_loue#473937 writes:

in response to bbrown#636681:

he prolly feels about what we felt after the Chick File bowl.

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

The following is for the nitwit "fans" on this site. Recall more than once I have said that attitudes towards players in this forum maybe read by lurking potential commits. Who may go elsewhere when they see the disrespectful poo that slung at existing players (i.e. Crompton, Stephens, decommits and others)and just to heck with the UT. I have said that our opponents greatest asset is the judgmental imbeciles on this forum. They send more recruits the opponents way that any of the opposing recruiters. Free of charge, they don't even have to pay these self-righteous idiots, these automatic Vols destroyers. Well, here is what Dooley said in his Chattanooga chat:

:. . .but what always concerns you is information getting put out that may cause negative reaction by your fan base and may cause a negative spin to recruits. That always concerns you, because we have no control over that, and many times the information isn’t accurate. That’s the hardest part.”

DaddyVol writes:

in response to dfreems:

Yeah...I suppose your snaggled tooth mutts didn't want DaRick Rogers either???

CincyOhVol writes:

Another diamond in the rough. Either all of these unrated players pay off or we are toast.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

Yeah...I suppose your snaggled tooth mutts didn't want DaRick Rogers either???

I love we have DaRick. He was our big catch of this class. But let's remember who really recruited him...his HS Quarterback.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to fourthbestinseceast:

Or probably the same thing Tebow thought when he wept on the sidelines after getting spanked by Alabubba.

DaddyVol writes:

There's some Big Ol strong farm boys across the Volunteer State just waiting to don the Orange. Let's go get em.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

Nope...you're wrong (with respect) Cincy. It was the other way around.

voloffaith writes:

Go to scout for his photo with mohawk hair style...He might be a Sullins type. Coachable and drive to succeed.Time will tell by watching senior year etc. I say welcome !!

Cldvols1 writes:

Welcome Mr. Posey, be ready to do some Posey'n in front of the Vol Nation! I know it's cheesy but catchy;) Go Vols!!!

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

in response to 92Vol:

Rivals has yet to release their rankings and Scout probably has not evaluated the kid yet. This kid and our other commit will probably end up being 4 stars.

Keep up the negativity.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Nice get, Coach. Good job.

DaddyVol writes:

Alan Posey. # 71

BIG CRUSHING PANCAKE BLOCKER!

Video here:

VolInSabanLand writes:

in response to dfreems:

And that's exactly how I took it. I don't understand why so many are so quick to take offense. I think its a reasonable, non-taunting, question. I also believe the response illustrating that UT has let some good ones get away from right under their noses is appropriate.

givehim6 writes:

in response to kjohnson008:

One O-Lineman down, at least 4 four more to go. Welcome Mr. Posey.

Hopefully the KNS will calm down a bit now UT has another player to commit. Fans are a bit more patient it's only May. Nice pick up.

kjennin3 writes:

in response to 92Vol:

well....obviously you just arent too bright... no one is ranked on Rivals and I think Scout has only ranked like the top 100....kids a great get... smart, physical... is an EE so he will get a spring in under his belt... and if you are complaining about his offer list you need to think a little harder...half of the teams that he was considering have had more success than us in the past 3 years

rich182x writes:

Will we be in the top 25 this year? I have my doubts...

TerryG1313 writes:

Another player from Georgia. I hope this year some of the players will come from Tennessee.

justdooleyit writes:

in response to AllVol2008#1353998:

You post just shows how stupid some of the VOL fans can be. Seeing as how Bama and Florida is out recruiting almost every other school in the nation. When schools have #1 ranked recruiting classes, it is pretty hard to out recruit them. Sometimes you just cant hide the stupid in some people.

worldwideturd writes:

in response to dfreems:

The last recruit from Clarke Central worked out pretty well - Chuck Smith. How hard did you guys recruit him? He was a contributor to an SEC championship team while you guys were floudering under Ray Goof.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to dfreems:

My thoughts are in line with the Atlanta Police Officer and diehard UGA fan who's a friend of mine: "Why is is that all the great players from Clarke Centeral never go to Georgia?" I couldn't resist telling him that it must be something they see up close and personal that makes them puke!