Alan Posey picks Vols, honors grandfather

Alan Posey realized it was a special day as soon as he opened his eyes.

Tuesday was far from ordinary for Tennessee's newest football commitment.

Not only did the offensive lineman from Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., finally announce he would play for the Vols, but by doing so he memorialized a man he never got to know.

Posey's grandfather died on May 4 when Posey was just 2 years old. So Posey picked May 4 to announce his path for the future, while remembering his family's past.

"I thought about him this morning when I woke up," the 6-foot-6, 305-pound Posey said shortly after becoming UT's second commitment for the 2011 signing class behind linebacker Christian Harris from Etowah High in Woodstock, Ga. "I never really got a chance to know him, but I always felt like I had a little bond. It was a happy day."

Posey also had scholarship offers from LSU, Louisville, West Virginia, Maryland and Illinois among others, but whittled his list of potential suitors down to UT and Clemson last month.

UT was long thought to be his choice, but Posey kept the secret so he could make his announcement to honor his grandfather.

By announcing his commitment so early, Posey can now focus on his senior season.

"My goal was to make my decision and let it be known so I can focus on winning state, focus on my team," Posey said.

Posey, who plans to enroll in January, said he'll take one official visit this fall, to UT for the Oregon game.

While the Vols certainly pulled away from the other schools in the last few weeks, Clemson proved to be worthy competition.

"I just felt like Tennessee was a better fit for me," Posey said. "I liked Clemson. There wasn't a bad thing about Clemson. I just liked Tennessee more."

Posey repeatedly said he had a good feeling each time he visited UT's campus.

Posey had strong ties to UT's football coaching staff.

Head coach Derek Dooley and offensive line coach Chuck Smith both attended Clarke Central. Dooley's father, Vince Dooley, coached at Georgia for 25 seasons and won a national championship.

Posey often said in his recruitment that he would like to be on a team with two other Clarke Central Gladiators. However, Vince Dooley had little effect on his decision.

"I knew Coach (Derek) Dooley was a good coach regardless of who his dad was," Posey said. "He used to be at LSU and won a national championship. I knew he was a good coach."

Early playing time seemingly would have played into Posey's decision. The Vols are woefully thin on the offensive line. Yet Posey didn't seem married to (or promised) early playing time.

"I'm going to go in and work my tail off," he said. "Whatever they want me to play, I'll play it and see if I can get in."

UT's one perceived weakness - its team - proved to be a strength. If the Vols struggle to post a winning record this season, Posey won't hold it against them.

Linebacker Christian Harris from Etowah High in Woodstock, Ga., was Dooley’s first commitment.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

crimsonviper writes:

He is a good player,and it sounds like he is a good kid also....congrats Vol fans.

GerryOP writes:

Welcome aboard young man, you are now a Tennessee Volunteer. And we're glad to have you.

UTSmokey04 writes:

Where's the "sky is falling - only two commits" comments? Congrats coach Dooley and staff, especially coach Thompson.

Georgia_Dave writes:

Georgia Dave proud to have 2 Georgians as VOLS first commits!

txvolsfan writes:

Dude is Huge 6'6" 306 as a junior.
WOW, Defenses won't be able to see Bray
behind him.

dvhill100 writes:

Work hard your final season in HS, keep the grades and enjoy life. Good luck with your UT career.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Dude is Huge 6'6" 306 as a junior.
WOW, Defenses won't be able to see Bray
behind him.

You forget Bray's 6'6" too:) Great get Vol staff!

HtownVol writes:

GREAT pick up. I see this guy being a solid starter on O-Line as a So and on.

It is early but I think this is a commit that will stick.

With the 4 O-linamen we got in the past class and Posey in 2011, if we get 3-4 more in this class we should be pretty well stocked once again and back on track in that department.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

.....""I wouldn't really want to go to a school, i.e. Alabama, that's already a powerhouse," Posey said. "I want to go somewhere and build a program back up and win championships.".....

THAT is why Farragut0406 when the other day you stated "why wouldn't a player NOT want to play for Saban".

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

But I know, since bammer wasn't in his final 2 choices then he is not a good player. Or if Saint _ick didn't recruit him then he's not a top-notch player.

Whatever.

tapeworm writes:

I'm curious. How does a guy from Athens, GA, not get the full court press from UGA?

TheOneVolFanInHawaii writes:

thank god we finally got another comit! anyway, this kid seems to have good character and good skills. he'll be a good fit at UT...

voloffaith writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Earlier poster children said that OT was a not a position of major concern for dawgs. Some said OL coach hadn't really coached up supposedly good recruiting classes last couple years. Maybe he wanted also to get away from home and grow up some more without local spotlight potentially always on him. Welcome aboard young man make Granpa proud!

vol_chaz writes:

Glad he's coming in early, means his grades are in order too. Bring him in..

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

Fantastic! Welcome to Big Orange Country!

VolGrad writes:

in response to tapeworm:

I think this question has been answered before, but there could be a whole range of reasons:
1. maybe UGA has more pressing needs,
2. maybe UGA knew they didn't have a shot of getting this kid,
3. maybe UGA contacted him and was told he wasn't interested in going there,
4. maybe the stars were not in the proper alignment....

Who cares? We need OL, and we seem to have landed a pretty good one.

Go Vols!!!

RoadTrip writes:

Just watch the guy play and you will not care who committed to him and who didn't. He is a stud that moves his feet well. He is intelligent and comes from a good family and school. That's all I need to know.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to VolGrad:

1. maybe UGA has more pressing needs,
2. maybe UGA knew they didn't have a shot of getting this kid,
3. maybe UGA contacted him and was told he wasn't interested in going there,
4. maybe the stars were not in the proper alignment....

Who cares? We need OL, and we seem to have landed a pretty good one.

Go Vols!!!

5. Maybe UGA takes players in their backyards for granted figuring only rabid Dawgs would live there.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

6. Maybe a tapeworm is a parasite.
7. Or a troll.

d_ray writes:

I will not get my hopes up until he signs in the Spring of 2011 and starts school. Too many players back out after committing to a college. I hope we get him though. We sure need an offensive line. Go Vols....

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to VolGrad:

1. maybe UGA has more pressing needs,
2. maybe UGA knew they didn't have a shot of getting this kid,
3. maybe UGA contacted him and was told he wasn't interested in going there,
4. maybe the stars were not in the proper alignment....

Who cares? We need OL, and we seem to have landed a pretty good one.

Go Vols!!!

You, my friend, has demonstrated SANITY and intelligence. 6'6". 305lbs. Offensive Linemen. Yes!!!

Ratings, Analysis, Critique...Yawn.

The only thing I would add is to ask the question to anyone who is not pleased with this commit, "Did you complain about (or question) the signing of Posey AND the turning away of the O-line Prospect Trip Thurman at the Spring Game?" If you did complain about both, there just ain't no pleasing you.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to tapeworm:

Maybe this is like having a really really ugly girl with a mole and hair growing through it, yellow teeth, and syphilitic chancres on her lips ask you to senior prom. She may have tried hard, but the answer was always and forever "NO".

UT sounds like a pretty good choice now doesn't it?!?

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to d_ray:

This wasn't a twitter commit. He committed today in honor of his grandfather. It's solid!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Congrats, young man.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Hold on...I thought coach Dooley couldn't recruit against saban.Haha

Keep on Rollin Rich.

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

If a kid from dawgville chooses us then you know he is orange blooded.

TLepage writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Richardson would look great in orange.... But I would also like to see Trai Turner.... 330 lbs beast.... Apparently LSU has finally offered him, so it might be hard to get him out of the bayou...... But I know we have been recruiting him hard for a while and he has said some good things about us, so i'm thinking we're still in it for him.... He would be a great building block for us....

TLepage writes:

I'm not being negative or bashing, but i do want to know if anyone knows what Darin Hinshaw's role is in recruiting???? I thought we brought him in to recruit the memphis area, but I'm pretty sure that Charlie Baggett has been covering that area.... I know for a fact that Baggett was making rounds in Memphis evaluating talent over the course of the past two weeks..... So that leaves me asking what is Hinshaw's role and what is his primary area????

rockydog writes:

I don't know Hinshaw's primary recruiting grounds, but I do know that he was in Middle TN (McMinnville) last Friday morning before going into Ga later in the day. I don't know how much that helps. Does anyone know anymore about our signees? Are all going to make it in? Thanks for any info.

rockydog writes:

in response to rockydog:

Sorry, I got my days messed up. I believe Hinshaw was in town Monday a week ago. Some Duke coaches were in town Friday. Sorry about that.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Agree viper...anybody that honors their grandfather is A-ok in my book.

TLepage writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

i usually disagree with you, but i think this is a fair assessment and statement....

TLepage writes:

in response to rockydog:

i know for a fact that Jon Brown is not going to qualify... Other then that, i've also heard that Eddrick Lofton will not qualify.... But i think those are the only two... i heard a nasty rumor that Darick Rogers hasn't been cleared yet, but i haven't been able to confirm or deny it (so i'm guessing this was just a rumor started by people like Athenshomerdawg)......

KevDVol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Kippy Brown has coached a NFL team to a Super Bowl. Saban has a losing NFL record, losing bowl record and never coached in the WAC.

Dooley was .500 in the WAC(12-12). And won the only bowl game he ever coached (their first in 40 years).

Saban is a great college coach with two National titles. Dooley worked for him 6 years and was an important part of one of those titles. Facts and figures can be presented all kinds of ways. We just hope that Dooley learned something from his years with Saban and can translate that into winning football.

rockydog writes:

TLepage-

Thanks for the update. Though I do wish you had better news. :-)

joebomb writes:

Chuck Smith coaces the O-line now? Hmmm

VolunteerLifer writes:

"He frequently cited a meeting with Lady Vols basketball coach Pat Summitt as one of the most impressive aspects of his UT tour."

Coach Dooley - I hope you are trying to enlist Coach Summitt for recruiting for the football program. Apparently she has some clout with some of these young football players.

IBleedOrange444 writes:

Welcome to the family Alan. We look forward to weeing you don the orange in the years to come. Congratulations and go Big Orange!!!