Dooley victorious during first stop in Atlanta

Mother of coach lends supports, gets cheers at caravan

ATLANTA - After taking the stage Wednesday night, it took Derek Dooley about 60 seconds to address the importance of recruiting in Georgia at the Atlanta stop of the Big Orange Caravan. It would be another full minute before the new Tennessee football coach would introduce his own mother.

It seems his priorities are in the right place.

"This is a critical area for our program," Dooley said. "Atlanta is three hours from Knoxville. When I was on the other side, when Tennessee won, they had a lot of great players from Georgia. We started it on signing day, and we're going to keep pushing it to bleed orange right into this state for a long time."

Dooley greeted a warm crowd in the city where he once practiced law. The local UT alumni chapter sold 375 tickets to fans trying to get their first look at Tennessee's newest coach.

Most seemed curious to see if Dooley was more John Grisham or John Madden. That answer may not come until the fall, but what the crowd did get was encouraging.

"I'm excited," said Janette McCullum, who graduated in 1982. "He's come in and picked up the ball in a tough situation. (Former coach) Lane Kiffin was here at this event a year ago, and he didn't smile the entire time.

"He even left early."

If Dooley found it difficult to follow Kiffin's departure from Knoxville, his task of greeting the orange faithful after UT basketball coach Bruce Pearl was no less challenging. Pearl made jokes, discussed his team's trip to the Elite Eight and worked the crowd like a Las Vegas lounge singer.

However, the group never cheered louder than when Dooley introduced his mother, Barbara, in orange.

"There is no way I can come into this state without my mother finding me," Dooley said. "I never knew how good she looked in orange. All these years she's been wearing the wrong color."

Vince Dooley, didn't make the trip, but assistant coaches Lance Thompson and Justin Wilcox did. It was enough to encourage most of the crowd, Tennessee's second largest alumni chapter outside of Knoxville, that the son of the famed Georgia coach may actually know what he's doing.

Not everyone was convinced.

"I'm one of the few people that at first was a little freaked out about it," said Dee Lipscomb, a 1992 UT graduate. "I live in Atlanta and having a Dooley is pretty scary. And after we got burned by Lane Kiffin, I'm a little gun shy. I support him, and hes definitely winning me over.

"I got to shake his hand, but the jury is still out for me."

Dooley's commitment to recruiting was clear, but he also wasted no time addressing what he called the big orange elephant in the room. Three coaches in three seasons isn't what any program wants and the Vols will face difficulty handing the departure of players, he said.

The first question from the crowd was about the status of running back Bryce Brown, who is expected to transfer after one year at UT. It was an issue he made no doubt that he wished not to discuss.

"There's no new news with Bryce," Dooley said. "Everyone's trying to make new news."

Dooley revisited many of the expressions hes made common in his short tenure: His linemen need more fried chicken, he's planting grass, not pulling weeds and if anything is clear, it's about Tennessee and not Derek Dooley.

The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words, but they likely enjoyed the last thing he had to say above all else.

"I'm honored to be the coach of the University of Tennessee," Dooley said. "I look forward to being here a long time."

Glenn LaFollette is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Chris4Vols22 writes:

"(Former coach) Lane Kiffin was hear..."

Seriously?

clausenforheisman writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

"(Former coach) Lane Kiffin was hear..."

Seriously?

Dang, you beat me to it..

Kind of like "first" for the proofread mistakes

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

It is great that CDD is working the state of Georgia so well. I just can't wait to see how the team plays the next few years. Go Vols!!!

AtlantaTide writes:

To co-opt some of CDD's metaphors, I see him planting grass for 2010, pulling some weeds for 2011 and UT competing for the Division title in 2012. I'm obviously not a homer and my take is the man has a real chance to get Tenn back to where it was with consistent Top 15 recruiting classes and great coaching.

Yes, the next two years will be lean but if he is allowed to truly 'rebuild' then the program will be back on solid footing.

A lack of patience in 2010/2011 will likely create a similar situation to Bama's infamous run of coaches. Patience in the storm with a focus on the process.

Ah yes, 'the process'...that will be a part of your vernacular as well my friends.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

I agree! I hope that the fan base and the university has patience and gives him time to rebuild here. The cupboard was left kinda bare. If the results aren't there by year 3 then there may be a reason to start worrying....

Cldvols1 writes:

Dooley's got the state of GA wrapped around his little finger, just like pops did! Go Vols

RaineyVol writes:

CDD will support his team and not get up and leave.. he has my coaching trust!

gavol writes:

"hes" really. What wonder intelligent writers; NOT! Maybe the editor-in-idiot John Adams changed it from he's. JA you are the ultimate idiot.

orangecountyvols writes:

AtlantaTide,

Very nice post, unlike the 4thbest troll. Truth is, having to play with the cards the Vols were dealt, it will take time and even true U T fans have been known to display very limited patience when it comes to football.
The rivals take delight in all this and that's why we see so much of them here.

Anyway, appears the defense will carry the team until the offense identifies itself. Just going to take time and no need to panic when we believe it will be a struggle occasionally. There will be games in which we just might be surprised. That's why they play the game.
Coach DD's mom seems to be a crowd pleaser when she speaks. She was on the Sports Animal Wed. and was very entertaining.

gillblog writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

In the past, Barbara was an excellent recruiter for her husband. Stories in Atlanta at the time indicated Barbara spent more time talking with Herschel Walker as a high school prospect than the UGA coaching staff. If she lends even moderate pursuasion in favor of Derek's work, it will be a powerful tool in recruiting the families of Georgia players-a critical component by itself.

easleychuck writes:

It will be enjoyable to actually see Coach Chaney get to be a coordinator this season. His personality will serve him well in nurturing a young offense that will be a work in progress. Having a DC in Coach Wilcox who is looking to show what he can do on the big stage will be fun to observe, also. I think that Coach Dooley understands that he does not need to be attracting a ton of attention to himself for the team to be successful. Hard work and doing things the right way without taking shortcuts will give the Vols the best chance for long term success. That is what will, hopefully, pay off in the end.

And that is why I think that Coach Dooley has a chance to lead this rebuilding job to a successful conclusion.

cloudodust writes:

Auburn, FSU, Clemson and to a lesser degree, Alabama and Vanderbilt are Tennessee's primary opponents in taking players out of Georgia. Georgia Southern and now Bill Curry's new start up team from Georgia State will get a few guys. CDD's Daddy and mentor built a national power using a wad of in-state players back in the late 70's and 80's that grew up wanting to be nothing but a Georgia Bulldog. That, my friends, has changed somewhat...DC Erk Russell use to say (paraphrase here), " It's not the size of the Dawg that matters, it's the size of the fight in the Dawg." The fabled defensive group of Junkyard Dawgs were smallish but hit like giants. It's gotten so rough down here for CMR recruiting his home state that his primary players of the last few years have come from out-state. AJ Green, Stafford, Moreno to name but a few and CMR recently went out-state to grab a QB named LeMay...

feathersax writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Cute, but Witch Doctor you ain't.

TommyJack writes:

Patience boys. Could be we have the right man for the yob.

cloudodust writes:

...and if you're a Recruitnik, the Atlanta based newspaper, the ajc, has a guy named Chip Towers that covers Georgia prep players and their journey's to the college level from field to committ to NSD (Posey, etc). Pretty much fair and balanced commentary although, he's a UGA guy...

ATLVOL55 writes:

I was at the event last night...The writer was dead on. Pearl was great with his one liners...I wanted to see Dooley first hand. He didn't say anything earth shattering, but all an all, he did a good job..

Guess we all will have to wait until fall...Go Vols

VOLinATL writes:

Was at the Caravan last night....very supportive crowd for CDD. and Coach Pearl, as always, was great. And having Holly Warlick was not a bad substitute for Pat. And the BBQ was good. Overall, a great night!

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

You know somethin, I can't help but agree with your comment. Yes it will be rough at times over the next couple of seasons, but it WILL all pay off in the future. I've always said I look for Dooley to do great things for UT and bring em back t prominence in a couple of years. Good post, nicely stated!

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Haha I admit the "entire state of GA" comment was a little far fetched. Look at when I posted it, 2am this morning:) I agree with the comment on Ms Barbara, she's definitely showing support for her son in the public eye. However, I look for Vince to be donning "The Orange" before seasons end. Go Vols!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

Well Done...Hit the nail on the head

striker4545 writes:

There's no new news with Bryce," & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words..

"Everyone's trying to make new news." & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words

"Linemen need more fried chicken", & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's word!

"she's planting grass, not pulling weeds and if anything is clear, it's about Tennessee and not Derek Dooley" & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words!

"No new Taxes"! & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words!

"Ask not what your country can do for you" & The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words!

"Theres a sale at Pennys!" The crowd of orange and white cheered the sentiment of Dooley's words!

VOLinAthensGA writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Like the Mark Twain quote. Could it be, and I am REALLY going out on a limb here, that the fine Athletes of GA are wanting to experience life outside of their own state while they have a free ride to do so. Wouldn't choosing a school outside of their home state prepare them better for life after college anyway? The NFL or the job market opportunities are not going to be located in their hometown of Abbeville, GA. It is no slam on Richt or UGA when an Alan Posey decides to attend The University of Tennessee when you step back and see it for what it is. Just like that receiver out of Memphis last year that is at UGA.

cloudodust writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

So, Samuel Clemens stole a line from Erk..? I know UGA's roster has many Georgians on it, but the fact is the talent pool is large enough to share and pilfer. Population wise, Georgia and Florida are easily the two richest states in our conference to recruit from but Florida is a stretch for Tennessee to go into with any success because of UF, UM and FSU (see Nu'Keese) but Tennessee can and will get a few Floridians. Georgia, on the other hand, has so many diverse college loyalties living within its borders that the pickings for surrounding programs have benefited AU, FSU, Clemson and Tennessee. CDD justs wants his fair share of those without a current path of choice and those like the Berry's that will never sign elsewhere. Again, UT has recruited nationally for years and I think that with CMR, the CVD ways have been put to rest to a degree...

eduardo writes:

lame kiffin?????

in response to AtlantaTide:

Well said. All true fans are optimistic when it comes to their team's prospects, but optimism becomes toxic when it turns into impatience. After the last few turbulent years, a couple of years devoted to rebuilding a solid base is the only way to prepare for lasting success in the future. That may require some of our more rabid fans to define "success" relatively downward for the next couple of years. I'm 63 years old and would love to see the Vols back on top in my lifetime, but if I'm willing to be patient while we do it the right way, some of our younger fans could stand to take the same attitude.

bugman (Inactive) writes:

say what you want about kiffin but he's a good coach.

TommyJack writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Indeed, BB. Tho 1st year could be lean. The Atlanta Tide @ 12:30 post has right idea.

dlobh writes:

in response to fourthbestinseceast:

Didn't you notice that this guy's name is AtlantaTide? He's a Bama fan with class and is welcome here. Obviously that word "class" would mean nothing to you.

Hounddog writes:

in response to fourthbestinseceast:

Go away and play with your leggos. To quote Roman Emperor Hadrin, who built an empire..."brick by brick, my citzens; brick by brick"

Please find somthing to do that will require your doing something constructive. Perhaps you could visit the dentist... I am certain you need to.
Hounddog

volboy81 writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

an Alabama fan with class! Hey, Florida fans, try it sometime!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

To win the division you need to beat Florida. So yes, it will take some time to build the program and beat Florida. So folks, grasp some reality, be patient.

I see Dooley doing the things necessary to rebuild and remake the program. He's changing the environment and recruiting a different type of kid. The trend so far is to go after the smart, strong work ethic kid with good size and skills. Yep, they will be the three star kids like the ones you see at Utah, Boise State, Virginia Tech, and TCU. Don't expect to hear Pahokee anytime soon.

Bigger_Al writes:

in response to bugman:

say what you want about kiffin but he's a good coach.

I don't think we know that for a fact yet. Bad record at Oakland, and 7-6 at UT. His biggest wins were losses at Florida and Alabama. I do think he will prove to be a good coach, but we will have to see what happens, especially after Monte retires.

Colliervol writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

I knew there was a fan of another school besides 99 Gator that had at least half a brain. (The trolls that show up on here barely have a half a brain if you lumped them all together.) Good post AtlantaTide. Your comparison to Bama's struggle is most appropriate.

mrvol2u writes:

in response to SECFB:

Saban is a good coach. But if you knew anything about UT football history, you would see UT was one of the first to open the season with a quality opponent. In the past that has included UCLA, Colo., and Syracuse.

It has been different and much harder since the formation of the east and west div. in the SEC. Tn. vs Fla. is usually the 2nd or 3rd game of the season. Not smart to open with a tough game before that game.

UT's recruiting problems stem more from too much change at the head coaching spot than from lack of a national name. Sound familiar? Ala. went through a few head coaches and had problems as well.

Tennessee will do well and CDD will get things in order.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Bigger_Al:

Look at what Kiffin did with Crompton last year/ He may be an arrogant horse's rear but he can coach

volsnationalchamps writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

Well said sir... The next couple years especially this season will be tough just as the last couple has. Give Dooley a shot, he has got to have time to rebuild this thing. It will happen, this university is great, has great facilities, the best stadium in the nation, and great fan support. We need stability in our coaches and let him get his players in here. If in 4 - 5 yrs not championship contenders (10) wins at least, then we need to look and decide if new coach is needed. To great of place to be where we are at now, but we are lets get behind CDD and turn this thing around. GO VOLS!!!

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

That's because Vince knew when to hang it up, unlike Fulmer, who ran our program into the ground. He won NO championship of any kind after 1998, and East Division is not a title

volsnationalchamps writes:

in response to VOLinAthensGA:

I agree, some players just want to get out of area they live and adventure new places. Sure not anything against Richt, he is a great coach and recruiter, I would defintly take him at UT. That happens all through out country.

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to volsnationalchamps:

Nice observation re the murky world of recruiting 16-18 yr olds. Bama, UT, UG and UGA can all claim (sell) their respective commitment to academics, rich tradition, excellent facilities, etc. But, the local kid may want to 'see the world' and who can blame them? It is a bit arrogant for us (me actually) to think that a kid has an academic/character/misc issue if they somehow decline the obvious best choice (sarcasm) of my UA and elect to go with Rival U. From a UT perspective, the traditional selling points will always work, you just need to have a model or identity to sell. Kiffin's NFL (or USC east) model had some real value but it IMO it was more sizzle than steak - he missed the whole point of UT. UT's rich tradition and unique picturesque mountain / river campus is fantastic....but to disregard those selling points is to miss the essence of what you are selling to the prospect. Kiffin is 100% cali and his model and process is perfect for USC. Similarly, the Dooley's, Saban's, Richt's and other character / process-driven coaches are perfect for SEC or Southern institutions.

TommyJack writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

Ship: He didn't do much coaching with JC, or anyone else, in the Chicken Bowl.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to SECFB:

You've made some valid points. Nick Saban is 4-1 in Georgia. He has recruited effectively. The college football season is definitely made up of 12 games.

But....

I think that Tennessee opening up with a "scrimmage" has nothing to do with recruiting. "If you want to improve recruiting try opening the season with something other than a scrimmage." That is a dangerous game. Va Tech essentially eliminated themselves from the National Championship conversation within the first week of the season. Oregon started out against Boise State and that was a disaster for the Ducks. Furthermore, in 2006 and 2008 Florida has opened up against Southern Mississippi and Hawaii in Gainesville. They've won National Championships, and they've recruited well. Auburns Gene Chizik has recruited on par with Saban, but his young Auburn team opened up against our very own Derek Dooley and LA Tech. Our most important recruit from the 2010 class, Tyler Bray, committed after his visit to Rocky Top last September. He visited for the Western Kentucky game, and Neyland Stadium was ROCKING; it would be hard to say "No" when 100,000 fans are saying "YES". Your argument has no foundation. Saban recruits well because he is Nick Saban, and not because of Bama's opening game opponent.

And, speaking of the Pillsbury Dough Boy, Terrence Cody could use a breast reduction... or maybe two...

VolGrad writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Just for the record: the majority of Vol fans are not "spoiled," nor do they "sit here daily and bash Fulmer."

Also for the record: In Tennessee, General Robert Neyland is the legend, even apart from the National Championship he gave us.

GBO!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Agree.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Patience boys. Could be we have the right man for the yob.

I tend to agree TJ.
But as usual the chicken littles are having none of that.

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Oh, it's coming down within the year?

finn writes:

John and Jimmy had a radio interveiw with Barbara Dooley right after CDD was hired. She is one funny lady and to echo a couple other posts, I bet she could out-recruit most coaches with her eyes closed. Noboby can ride their daddy's coat tails but it is hard not to like what CDD has behind him in the way of family.

oldorange writes:

Just came from the Caravan in Cleveland..This coach is a great speaker

SuckTheseVols98 writes:

in response to Chris4Vols22:

"(Former coach) Lane Kiffin was hear..."

Seriously?

hahaha this is great!!! I mean really come on editor you are really struggling and suck worse everyday of your life!!! get a new j-o-b that you actually give a $hit about!! I hope you read my other article and are starting to understand that I have a very strong argument!!

Mtnbiker writes:

Wish people would get a clue and just give up on BB. He'll either stay or transfer. Til he makes up his mind why pester the coach? CDD will let us know the asap once some decisive dialogue is exchanged with Bryce Brown.

Anyone heard Barbara tell a story about her Halloween prank? I laughed so hard i had tears for like 10 min from laughing.

volsnationalchamps writes: