Practice making difference in rating UT QBs

The Tennessee quarterbacks definitely aren't opposites.

They aren't exactly carbon-copies either.

It's tempting to lump Matt Simms and Tyler Bray into the same category based on their size, arms and similar speed that disqualifies them as dual-threats for the Vols. But now armed with 15 practices of film to break down heading into his first fall and major quarterback battle, new coach Derek Dooley isn't having any trouble telling them apart.

"I mean, look, the fact of the matter is we have two quarterbacks who are very different," Dooley said. "They do different things, and I'm not saying one is better than the other, but they're different."

Perhaps not drastically, but enough that the Vols would have to do a few things differently on offense depending on who's leading them.

Simms has shown better ability to make plays with his feet, and the junior-college transfer appears better suited and more comfortable outside the pocket and making throws on the move. One of his best throws of the spring came that way, improvising on a deep play-action pass to Gerald Jones while rolling to his right that set up a touchdown in the Orange and White Game.

Bray almost exactly fits the prototype for a traditional passer, starting with his 6-foot-6 size and big-league arm. The true freshman turned heads with his strong finish in the closing scrimmage, mostly by showing off his velocity on more traditional patterns from within the confines of the pocket.

"Well, Matt actually can do a lot more with his feet," Dooley said. "Some guys, you see them, you just watch them and see what they do well and what they don't do well play-wise. They do different things better.

"I think it's fair to say Tyler is a pure, traditional, drop-back pocket guy. He's comfortable back there. I think Matt likes a little more movement, and quarterbacks are all different."

Dooley still has more to find out about both of them, and he has made clear that he won't rush into a decision to name a starter in the fall. UT could even wait to make a call until the week before the season opener.

And though an offensive game plan would certainly be designed to play to the strengths of whoever ultimately wins the job, there are still enough similarities between Simms and Bray that the Vols wouldn't have to make sweeping changes either way.

"It's important that we shape what Matt can do well and we call it to give him a chance, instead of saying, 'Well, you've got to run that play,' " Dooley said. "It's the same thing with Tyler.

"I don't think (there's any hurry to pick one) because our system allows for it."

That approach might change subtly depending on who ends up under center since the candidates aren't identical. But Simms and Bray also aren't on opposite poles either.

Cody Sullins Honored: Cody Sullins was recognized all last season for his intelligence on the field. The former UT center earned the same praise off it this week.

The walk-on turned starter in the middle of the offensive line is one of 620 players to qualify for membership in the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society, which is open to players from all divisions with a 3.2 grade-point average or higher as a starter in his last year of eligibility.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Georgia_Dave writes:

We need to take time and NOT rush into the decision. I hope all the fans allow the Coach time and not pressure him into premature decision. GBO

tree_em_smokey writes:

I just hope one of them plays decent this year. Thats all we will need to prevent a bad year. And some of the big boys on the O-line to give their all and play with some heart. I think they will because they keep hearing all the negativity of them all being freshmen. We will be fine I think. GBO

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Just looking for some competitiveness this season. I'll be there at all the games cheering them on, but it's gonna be a looooooong season.

hueypilot writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I think if I were a fan of the defending national champions in football, I might have something more to do that actually related to my team than trolling drivel on a rivals' fans' website.

Clearly you have far more time on your hands than many. As a fan of said defending champion you have nowhere to go but down. And we'll be happy to help you with that. You know it's coming and it's going to hurt (you) like hell. Like Spurrier said, it's a lot more fun to get to the top than to try and stay there.

Ironcity writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Alabama is a heck of a program but your still a loser!

LiveFaith writes:

With our upcoming OL, I would say Sims is in the driver's seat to win the job. Better moving around (better get used to it) and more experience. With a killer OL, I would see Bray getting a better shot.

mountainbrook writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

And then you displayed your trophy at Walmart.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Oh come on guys, he said that post was just for MOI.....

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

AtLeastMyTeamHasNeverLostMoreThanSevenGamesInASeasonBeforeFarragut0406

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

I'm flattered guys, a bammer gets on here everyday to see what I say....

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

Thanks pablo, hard day at work, I needed a laugh...

gaj619 writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

My eval from the O&W game for what it's worth.
Bray-Quick recognition
Quick release
Strong arm
Accurate arm
Needs to gain weight
Seems to lack mobility

Simms-Above average arm but not strong
Average or worse accuracy
Below average recognition
Good mobility
Seems to have good leadership skills
With a summer to grow and gain weight as well as making the mental adjustment to college I think Bray will be the choice. He is the future and I think Dooley will take advantage of low fan expectations to build for the future. With that said I think Simms will play but in a narrow and defined role.
JMO. What do you guys think.

vols2#227315 writes:

No way UT will win many games with a reject from Louisville, wish he would transfer. Tyler Bray is a big time quarterback who doen not throw bad passes.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to gaj619:

My eval from the O&W game for what it's worth.
Bray-Quick recognition
Quick release
Strong arm
Accurate arm
Needs to gain weight
Seems to lack mobility

Simms-Above average arm but not strong
Average or worse accuracy
Below average recognition
Good mobility
Seems to have good leadership skills
JMO. What do you guys think.

I came out of the OW game thinking essentially the same thing. Not knowing what the coaches were trying to accomplish with each may have skewed it some though. I did feel good about what Bray did and saw great upside.

GerryOP writes:

Looks like we may have a couple of good'uns taking the snap!

122 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

NoSirRee writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Looks like we may have a couple of good'uns taking the snap!

122 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

At this point, neither are any good. I have a little more faith in Bray for the future though.

orangecountyvols writes:

Farragutless and NoSirRee...............

Two bonafide boring losers wouldn't you say legit Vol fans?
For the rest of us, we will wait and see how the QB's do, and really can't care any less about the opinions of the above losers.........or as some are known to say........'loosers.'

NoSirRee writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Farragutless and NoSirRee...............

Two bonafide boring losers wouldn't you say legit Vol fans?

You must know a TON of losers in your life considering everyone who has an opinion differing from yours is lumped into that category. All I have to go by so far is what has taken place such as spring scrimmages and the O&W game. Simms hasn't looked good in either or a Louisville for that matter. If you read my post all I said was as of right now, neither are any good. I have hope for Bray for the future. Also, don't forget what fan is short for (fanatic). Try to stay in touch with reality every once in a while.

mtvols writes:

With our early schedule (Oregon and Florida), I think Simms starts and Bray may be starting by the UAB game if we are 1-2.

NoSirRee writes:

in response to mtvols:

Be careful saying we're gonna be 1-2 around here. You aren't a "real fan" if you don't think we'll be virtually everyone, haha.

nicknack1 writes:

I think Bray is alot more accurate and his size is a big plus. Simms just didn't look that good in the game, but that was just one scrimmage where they had only been here for a few weeks, except Bray because he's been here even before the Chick-Fil-A bowl. Just because Matt is related to Phil Simms, doesn't mean he's awesome. He transferred from Louisville and went to junior college. Bray was a top 10 QB and also won MVP at various camps, even beating out Alabama's Phillip Simms and Jesse Scroggins

txvolsfan writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

You would think they would have a good year after 15 years of obscurity!!!

Voluvr writes:

Okay, One is a pocket guy and the other one can move better. I'm not saying anything about starter yet so they will work harder. But seriously, you know and I know with our offensive line, you got to be moving. It's Simms, you know it and I know it. Nice to actually have some QB's.

I'll say this now....everyone get ready to give Dooley time to do this thing.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Most of the fans will give DD plenty of time-at least 4-5 games. Better predict 9-3 or you will be ridden off this site with tar and feathers and be called a troll with a negative attitude.

Go ahead and start with me. Simms will be the QB and we will finish 6-6 at best.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Are all the Alabubba fans bandwagon jumpers or just you

TheAuthority writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

I get your logic, but we all saw how well Simms did scrambling with a rag-tag o-line in the O&W game...

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

AtLeastMyTeamHasNeverLostMoreThanSevenGamesInASeasonBeforeFarragut0406

you left some out.....
AtleastMyTeamHasNotHadToForfeitGamesBecauseTheyGotCaughtCheatingAndGotPutOnProbation
Just sayin...

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Yeah I see what you mean about our chances against Alabama this year. After that 1 point whipping you boys put on us last year!

TheAuthority writes:

in response to gaj619:

My eval from the O&W game for what it's worth.
Bray-Quick recognition
Quick release
Strong arm
Accurate arm
Needs to gain weight
Seems to lack mobility

Simms-Above average arm but not strong
Average or worse accuracy
Below average recognition
Good mobility
Seems to have good leadership skills
JMO. What do you guys think.

Reasonable assessment. Obviously I was hoping we could redshirt Bray to bulk up for the future and just get through this season, but I reckon that is no longer a possibility now that ol' Pick-Nick is gone. Straight up, Bray played better on the only big stage these guys have played on together. There is no way he can redshirt so we might as well give him the experience. Plus, Dooley should be able to keep bringing in top flight QBs with all his recruiting acumen so losing Bray's redshirt year shouldn't matter.

Sidebar: I'm just glad I don't have to claim Farragut or Bama cuz I don't like to sniff my own farts!

UTATO93 writes:

in response to mountainbrook:

And then you displayed your trophy at Walmart.

Alabama fans Never forget who you are ........ CHEATERS. And you didn't even do that particularly well.

BankerVol writes:

in response to Pablopeepants:

Hey Faggarut. You are an IDIOT

AtlantaTide writes:

Farragut - from all the ruckus you have raised - I assume you have been applying lessons learned from "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? lol

DaddyVol writes:

Ala Bama

1. Named after a brand of jelly.
2. Ugliset state in the south (except where it
touches Tennessee and the Gulf).
3. Majorettes wear nancy Sinatra go-go boots from
the 60's
4. With all the natural wildlife in the state...they
chose an elephant for a mascot
5. Continue to pay homage to a deceased drunkard.
6. Average person in that state has one tooth.
7. Had to install artificial turf so that the
cheerleaders would quit grazing.
8. Clean their buttz with azz wipe and cheap
laundry detergent.
9. Women all wear Mall hair from the 70's.
10 Ugliest uniforms...next to Penn State
11 After 7 coaches and years of whining...they
finally get lucky (thanks to our sorry special
teams) and win a title.
12 Tuscaloozer
13 State is so ugly...head coach owns lakefront
property and boat over in Georgia.

Anyone wish to add to the list?

volpreacher writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

And just maybe, UT will beat Alabubba again this year like they did last year. (Minus one bad kicker who couldn't kick it higher than the waistline of fatso)

Tilly85 writes:

Bray might get killed if he plays this year. The guy is scrawny and it doesn't sound like we're gonna block anybody. He looked like the better passer in O&W game, but putting him behind our O-line seems very dangerous. There was one play in that O&W game where Chris Walker got loose behind the line, and it looked like if he had been able to finish the play Bray would have been in a body cast from the hit. This is the SEC. Bray needs to add weight quickly. Fortunately, I think our D is going to be really really good and keep us in a lot of games. I am also really excited about Tauren Poole. He seems like the kind of back who can make big plays happen on his own. 7/8 wins. Bray plays after Simms is hurt in the LSU game. Bama's D is in no way scary than LSU's Farragut, and I have a feeling Bama's gonna learn that first hand too. Chavis is gonna want blood when we go down there to play in September. Let Simms be the sacrificial lamb.

CroKev writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

Imagine if you changed your name to "YesSirRee" and tried waking up on the right side of the bed in the morning. Maybe take an early morning walk and actually smile at children on their way to school (instead of spitting on them). Instead of kicking the cat crossing your path, you could actually tickle its ears. Come on "NoSirRee," you're better than that. You're really better than that!

DannyVol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Show some class, idiot. I can't believe anyone, especially a supposed southerner, would follow the humility Go_Vols_Go displayed with your BS. Seems like that's consistent with the culture down there anymore - especially now that your carpetbagger coach has put his Faustian stamp on the program. If class is no longer possible, at least try to to remember all those years y'all floundered under a series of Shulas, Duboses, and Prices after your administration ran off a good man in Stallings. By the way, wasn't it Mike Price who made "RTR" famous?

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

your best coaching staff in the universe couldn't score a touchdown against us last year in your own house and it was your boy elroy that couldn't out do JC.

another proud bama fan since 2006.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to alabubbabubba:

parole tide parole.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

Ala Bama

1. Named after a brand of jelly.
2. Ugliset state in the south (except where it
touches Tennessee and the Gulf).
3. Majorettes wear nancy Sinatra go-go boots from
the 60's
4. With all the natural wildlife in the state...they
chose an elephant for a mascot
5. Continue to pay homage to a deceased drunkard.
6. Average person in that state has one tooth.
7. Had to install artificial turf so that the
cheerleaders would quit grazing.
8. Clean their buttz with azz wipe and cheap
laundry detergent.
9. Women all wear Mall hair from the 70's.
10 Ugliest uniforms...next to Penn State
11 After 7 coaches and years of whining...they
finally get lucky (thanks to our sorry special
teams) and win a title.
12 Tuscaloozer
13 State is so ugly...head coach owns lakefront
property and boat over in Georgia.

Anyone wish to add to the list?

Alabama state flower?? Pine Cone

easleychuck writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

You are an expert at being mighty and having fallen. How was it in the hole for 10 or so years. The old ground hog came out more than most of the bammers and trolls like you did during the lost decade. At least you recognize, that UT is mighty.

You sound like the g@ytors last year with all their predictions of 60 plus points.

Just how tight was your backside when the Vols were driving on your beloved bammers arses at the end of the game last year. Yeah right, you had it the whole way.

Trolls like you are what makes it even sweeter when bammer gets 'Utahed' or 'Louisiana-Monroed' at home in front of their mommas and daddies.

By the way to paraphrase Lewis Grizzard, I75 leads out of town just like it leads in. Have a trollmendous day.

striker4545 writes:

Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about practice. We sittin' in here, and we in here talkin' about practice. I mean listen, we talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a, not a, not the game that I go out there and die for, and play every game like its my last. Not the game. We talkin' bout practice, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout practice. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout practice, man. What are we talkin' bout? Practice? We talkin' bout practice man. We talk... We talkin' bout practice. We talkin' bout practice. We ain't talkin' bout the game, we talkin' bout practice, man. But we talkin' bout practice right now. Man look, I hear you, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout practice man. We not even talkin' bout the game, the actual game, when it matters. We talkin' bout practice...

easleychuck writes:

in response to striker4545:

Thanks for weighing in Coach Mora. By the way, the state flower of bammer - the dandelion.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

This is a 6-6 team and Iam alright with that..Simms wasn't brought in to ride the bench; Good or bad he will start.If he starts throwing a lot of INT's and he will; at some point Dooley will have to make a hard decision similar to Crompton last year..On the up side we have a lot of young talent at WR and if Chaney uses them correctly; we may put up some points..Iam not expecting big things from the OLine; so expect a lot of sacks unless Simms becomes a good roll out QB..I can't wait to see what RB Neal brings to the table.I love what I see from him on film and really believe he might make a big impact..The schedule is brutal though and we might be looking at some blow outs but little by little this team will grow and climb that mountain!!

Pompey writes:

in response to Georgia_Dave:

Let the fans do what they want......any coach worth his salt will not be pressured from the outside about a football decision.

transplantiam writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

Ala Bama

1. Named after a brand of jelly.
2. Ugliset state in the south (except where it
touches Tennessee and the Gulf).
3. Majorettes wear nancy Sinatra go-go boots from
the 60's
4. With all the natural wildlife in the state...they
chose an elephant for a mascot
5. Continue to pay homage to a deceased drunkard.
6. Average person in that state has one tooth.
7. Had to install artificial turf so that the
cheerleaders would quit grazing.
8. Clean their buttz with azz wipe and cheap
laundry detergent.
9. Women all wear Mall hair from the 70's.
10 Ugliest uniforms...next to Penn State
11 After 7 coaches and years of whining...they
finally get lucky (thanks to our sorry special
teams) and win a title.
12 Tuscaloozer
13 State is so ugly...head coach owns lakefront
property and boat over in Georgia.

Anyone wish to add to the list?

Yeah, I'll give ya one. What does the average Alabama football player get on his SAT's?.... DROOL!
GO VOLS!!

striker4545 writes:

We ain't talkin' bout the game, we talkin' bout practice

SickEmSmokey writes:

in response to V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO:

By long season, I hope you mean SEC and National Championship game. Haha. Sorry, I predict us 7-6 possibly 8-5. We have the talent, it's just gonna depend on who wants it worse. Mark it, Tennessee will want BOTH the Oregon and the Florida games; and they'll get them. No matter what the outcome of this season or seasons to come, I bleed orange and I'll be right there cheering the Vols on.

Sick 'Em Smokey!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OTPVol writes:

Congratulations to Cody Sullins. That is an accomplishment to be very proud of. My the future hold only the best for you.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Alabama state flower?? Pine Cone

I thought it was the satellite dish. I know the state bird is the mosquito. At least they are going to require Alabama linemen to wear bras this year, because there are children watching these games.