Dooley not feeling the heat yet

Fan reaction based more on time of year than state of program

CLEVELAND, Tenn. - Derek Dooley isn't issuing predictions and he's not tempering expectations.

Really, the new Tennessee coach hasn't had any need to do so on his first trek on the Big Orange Caravan.

The fans have been understanding of the situation Dooley inherited, supportive of the direction of the program and apparently rational about the limitations the Vols might have in his first season. Of course, it's also only May.

"If you try to temper fans' expectations, you're walking up a hill you can't climb," Dooley said during the tour stop at the Cleveland Country Club. "Here's what's fun - the expectations now versus the fall. Now it's, 'Hey, coach, we're understanding. We've got a long way to go.'

"But the first time you kick that ball off, the feelings change a little bit because of the competitive environment, and that's OK. You wouldn't want it any other way. Surprisingly, expectations aren't that different anywhere you go. It's always a little higher than what you could probably pull off - no matter where you are."

A lack of depth and plenty of inexperience has lowered the bar at UT this year, and there seems to be a consensus that it could take some time for Dooley to get the program back to higher standards.

For now, the questions have mostly been about his coaching philosophies, what he learned from his legendary father and daily requests for updates on the status of departed players Bryce Brown and Aaron Douglas - which might be the only issue that appears to visibly annoy Dooley at this point. Either way, he's patiently provided answers, asked a few questions of his own to the fans and really dug in this week selling himself and the program.

"I think it's an important part of the job," Dooley said. "A lot of coaches treat that as sort of a necessary evil, but I think we have a responsibility. It's like a company and your customer base. They're our customers, and we have a responsibility to serve them the right way, and they need to know who their coach is and they need to feel good about their coach.

"Same thing with the team, they need to understand they have a responsibility to represent the fans. If you don't have the fans, you don't have a program. This is what makes Tennessee special."

Dooley has been careful not to talk about how special the Vols might be on the field this fall though, and that surely won't change.

There's still uncertainty about the roster, a brutal schedule looming and way too many variables throughout a season to guarantee any number of wins this year. But Dooley has been regularly delivering at least one message as he spreads the word about his program.

"The biggest thing is the future is in good hands, and it's being built on a solid foundation," he said. "Because it's being built that way, it's going to be able to handle any bumps along the way. But I think there's also a reality about some concerns that can't get fixed right away. That's the inexperience, the lack of depth, but the most important thing is long term.

"That's what we're here to solve."

The fan base seems willing to give Dooley some time to do it - at least in May.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tn_rockytop writes:

go vols 12-0 next year :]

TrueNaranja writes:

The situation???? "We sooo understand"!!!! Unfortunatley!!!

The Coach???? We still feel betrayed and are going to be unsure because of the UGA ties!!!

Sorry no change in Big Orange country, no matter how hard people try!!! "It is, what it is" Go VOLS!!!

tree_em_smokey writes:

14-0 this year :) .... :( ....haha. Doubt it.

tdvol1989 writes:

You know, some of the more sensitive posters on here call anyone that does not predict an SEC Championship Game appearance a troll. A troll is someone who predicts doom and gloom and celebrates it.

I happen to be a fan who wants the Vols to win REALLY bad. I have been known to run a 102 degree fever during games.

But, I do not see things being pretty next year. The offense has the potential to be very boring and frustrating. I watched the Orange and White game and it looked a little like the UCLA game last year. Yes, our defense is good and maybe great, but the offense looked a lot like the offense the past 2 years.

That said, if we can cut down on turnovers and play a little better on special teams, we can still be respectable. I believe in giving Dooley a chance and, while I prefer better, I will take going to any bowl as a positive. And, we cannot lose to Vandy or Kentucky. The way I see it, this is the lowpoint in post 1980 Vol football. If the worst we have is still a bowl, that says a lot for our program.

The other thing is we need a solid 2011 class. It does not have to ranked as high, but we need some beef. Those guys are usually not in the Top 20 players in the country so as long as we get the lineman, a couple tight ends, and a few defensive guys, and maybe just 1 marquee skill player, I think we are in good shape.

FWBVol writes:

in response to TrueNaranja:

The situation???? "We sooo understand"!!!! Unfortunatley!!!

Derek Dooley has done or said nothing to indicate the UGA ties you speak of will ever come into play if he were ever offered the Georgia job.

The only thing that Georgia has that Tennessee doesn't is a stronger in-state recruiting base, and CDD and his staff can be to Georgia in less than two hours on I-75.

Derek Dooley played his college ball at Virginia, and for that reason I'd be more concerned about him jumping ship to take a job at UVA, if all things were equal and UVA came calling. But Tennessee will always be a more attractive football job than UVA.

Yes, I know, CDD was a graduate assistant coach at Georgia and he grew up between the hedges while his dad was building a Hall of Fame resume. And Vince Dooley being the icon he is at Georgia is why I can never see Derek taking the job if offered.

He broke ties with Nick Saban and took the La Tech job because he wanted to be his own man. If CDD were ever offered Georgia job he knows he would be measured not by Mark Richt or Ray Geoff, but by Vince Dooley. He would always be in his dad's shadow unless he won two or three national championships.

I think some UT fans have been reading too many conspiracy theory books.

Derek Dooley talks about integrity in the program, shooting straight and doing things the right way. If he is the man of his word I believe him to be, I have no reason to doubt that UT is not his destination job as he claims.

Vince is an Auburn grad, and Athens, Ga., turned out to be pretty good for him. I think Derek knows Tennessee can be his UGA.

dalvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think some UT fans have been reading too many conspiracy theory books.

Great post, FWBVol! I totally agree, but I'll still be a little uneasy when Mark Richt gets the axe, which could be soon. I do believe that CDD will be at UT for a long time.

MTVOLwall1 writes:

Its good to hear that the Vol community is aware of our situation. I hope that we can keep our heads during the season next year. It bothers me that Coach Dooley has to answer so many questions about kids that do not want to play for us anymore. Leave them be!!! Noone is bigger than the university. The only people we should be worrying about are the players that take pride in wearing the Orange.
On another note, I think it is going to be critical for us to have a great screen package next year if we want to be even a little bit successful.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Troll

RespectTradition writes:

I've said it before and I will say it again. Fan is short for FANatic. Fanatics are not rational. They are opposites. Anyone who can rationally analyze their team and has 'reasonable' expectations is not FANatic. That is not the way a FANatical mind works.

That being said, it is also true that someone acting FANatically is not bound by consistency. We can have unrealistic expectations and then find some way to rationalize it when they are not met and still love our team, the players or the coaches.

Some people act like that is bad. They think they are somehow superior because they can 'see the big picture' or can 'be realistic' and use those things as excuses to spout doom and gloom. Fooey!

When I want objective, I read/watch a national media outlet (I know, I know, but there aren't many alternatives...). When I go to a site dedicated to my team, I am there for a Pep Rally, not a rundown of everything that is wrong in the world of UT football or predictions about everything that will go wrong.

Negative attitudes lead to negative results.

Join me, my fellow FANatics and rejoice in all things orange. Then, if things don't fall the way we hope, we focus on the parts we like and say, 'Next year'. It is a heck of a lot more fun to ride the roller coaster, even if you know its gonna make you puke, than it is to be the old grandma who is holding everyone else's stuff and just watching while everyone else enjoys the ride.

Go Vols!

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think some UT fans have been reading too many conspiracy theory books.

Very well said sir!

TheOneVolFanInHawaii writes:

I doubt that Derek Dooley would jump ship for UGA because if he does, he'd always be living in his father's shadow. besides, he's different from kiffin in the values that he brings to the table. Kiffin brought in a win first mentality, and hey, that works for a lot of teams. but Dooley seems to be more of a values first mentality.

we'll see if that ends up working. I'd say this first year could get very ugly at times. 6-6 is what we're lookin' at here if that, and anything better would be pretty damn impressive.

DannyVol writes:

Very nicely written, Austin Ward. I wish the "Preview comment" bar was a promotion to sports editor for you. Thanks for the good work.

nocleats writes:

Tennessee Football NEEDS Def,Tackles! Recruit Recruit Recruit!!! Nuff said.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

My 2 favorite quotes last night from CDD:

1.) "Everywhere I go, people always want to know what my parents are wearing. Well, you all already know about Mom; but, about Dad, well--trust me it's coming." (Queue the ice bag Dawg Homers in 3...2...1...)

2.) A fan in the crowd asked, "Have you learned the words to 'Rocky Top' yet?" CDD's response: "Well, Ma'am, as a kid, I grew up hearing it all the time, I was on the 'other side' of it, I heard it in my high school years, I played against it in college, and I can assure you, I know all the words by heart and I'm sure glad it's home sweet home to me!"

Great guy, great personality. Handled all the complex questions very well without beating round the bush. I'm willing to give this time and see what we can produce in the next 3-4 years. Until then, man up, balls to the wall, and GO VOLS!!

striker4545 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Somewhat agree, but truth is doom and gloom folks are just as ridiculous as the undefeated folks.

The reality is NO ONE knows what they will do. I find it so funny how everyone seems to think they can predict the outcome of the season. Who knows...

I will say this however. We know our situation, we know our needs. That being said, CDD will have one season by to show that they are trying and slowly improving. After that if they dont make a couple of games more then the fans will get uneasy.. Then by season three if they arent a solid 8-9 win team he will be feeling the heat. And honestly in my opinion ANYONE not winning 8+ games a year for multi-Millions of dollars should feel the heat. Otherwise lets high some high school coach and pay him 300k.

I wish our Vols well, I hope we become a threat in the East again, we shall see.

If not CDD will be ran out of town the hard way, just as any other coach would. Good luck to ya Coach and enjoy the happy sheep while they are content

gnm53108 writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Negative attitudes lead to negative results.

Go Vols!

From one Big Orange koolaid drinkin "FANatic" to another...Go VOLS!

striker4545 writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Very, VERY well said...

TommyJack writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

"I think Richt will be a lot like Coach Brown of Texas." When, dawg?

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Negative attitudes lead to negative results.

Go Vols!

Are you trying to talk some sense into these people?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

I agree; the 2011 recruiting class will decide much of our future success; It's unfortunate that recruiting is becoming just as important as what happens on the field..It's no secret that Saban and Meyers success is largely due to the elite players entering the program..Does anybody really believe Mark Ingram and Tim Tebow were scoring machines because of coaching; I think not!!!

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

What's your point? Bleacher Report is hardly a credible website. Bunch of homer opinions is all it is. My 10 year old niece could write for them and it would get published.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Nice bait...not biting today.

When you get the responses that you were shooting for,just dont ask why you cant have a civil discussion with VOLS fans.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to RichRollin:

It's sad that Richt is in the position he is in..You would be hard pressed to find a coach with such high integrity;leadership and moral fiber..The same can be said of Rich Brooks and Phil Fulmer who both faced the axe mainly due to lack of talent..Georgia QB's are dropping like flies and they have other mounting problems..The question you must ask is who would be the successor;with all the coaching changes last year the stable isn't that full..GA had huge problems just hiring a new DCoordinator; How much harder will a HC search be???

imw8n4u writes:

one correction coach, we are not customers, we are shareholders.

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Blah, blah, blah.... I see words on the screen but none of it makes sense...

TommyJack writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

My point is simple. Mark Richt seems to have had a free pass at GA. Top recruiting classes year after year after year, yet they seem middle of the road. Don't get it. That is all.

OrangeinCarolina2 writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Negative attitudes lead to negative results.

Go Vols!

What you said RT! I am a loud and boisterous fan. I yell at the tv when the Vols are playing{they CAN hear you no matter what my wife says}. I am always pumped up about having a great season. And make no mistake, this year ain't no different. So let's GO VOLS! Take 'em to the SEC title game Coach Dooley! Thump them gators and roll 'em past the tide! My voice will be in prime shape come September. GO VOLS!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to striker4545:

Lack of depth and talent. Thats what little Kiffin said too, but sent 9 players to the NFL and several other good ones returned this year. People now know Kiffin was feeding them a bunch of bull. I do think the team is worse off this year and the schedule is tougher so I dont have high expectations, but I do expect to beat Vandy and KY and be competetive. Other teams in the conference are down this year too. I think your prediction about Dooley feeling the heat in year 3 if he doesnt win 8 might be a little off. I'm thinking after a couple of years of 6 to 7 wins, by year three nothing short of 10 wins will satisfy alot of the fan base. I think with all the resources, being a top program, and getting paid Millions, 10 wins should be the standard. Believe me, I remember when fans were calling for Fulmer's head after the 1999 season when he only won 9 games and he had just won a NT and was in the UT family. Dooley will be held to the same standard and 8 wins wont cut it at UT.

cjones72 writes:

What everyone forgets is florida and a few of the other teams we are playing this year are rebuilding also so i dont think we will have as bad a year as everyone thinks .

TommyJack writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

I'm no cut-throat. I hope he stays at GA. I just think GA is getting shortchanged. JMO

JMP_Vols writes:

in response to cjones72:

Florida may have lost some guys to graduation and the draft, but they aren't even close to rebuilding.

Same with Oregon. Even without Masoli, they are still extremely talented.

Bama didn't lose much, and what they did lose, the backups may be even better.

UGA, South Carolina, and LSU could all be better than they were last year.

Point is, most of the big-time talent for Tennessee is young, the offensive and defensive lines are huge question marks, depth is a problem, we're unsettled at quarterback.

The good news -

1. The offensive line will only get better after a years worth of experience. Same at QB.
2. We are in play for several good offensive and defensive lineman. Depth is being addressed.

Brighter days are coming. It may be 2011 and beyond though.

cloudodust writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Know your enemies and keep them close...UGA will be installing a new defense this season under one Coach Grantham. A 3-4 if memory serves correct. But the recent problem at UGA hasn't been a lack of talent, it's been a lack of discipline. Led the SEC in penalties and was in the national top level of penalized teams. Also, their turnover ratio was very negative in 2009 and we all know that doesn't fall just on the defense...

VOLliven2it writes:

Friends and fellow or lady Vol-ers, let me say I usually do not weigh in to posting places except an occasional newspaper opinion deal. But I must do so here. As my name suggests, no matter whether Coach Dooley wins,loses,stays only 5 months or 3 decades, we have to Live into it, whatever it becomes. Before there was a Derek Dooley, that other guy, Fulmer(whom I like but felt his day had past),Johnny M. etc., there was a Volunteer football team. After Dooley has done his Doo on whatever level, there will most likely be a Volunteer football team. I realize how angered and violated we felt at the last coach. That is over. We will get over it. We will move on. Sooo, chill out all of us. Let's get ready to live into the 2010 season and we may just be surprised at the outcome. I am Vol orange and white through and through. GO BIG ORANGE! We will be pulling for you!

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

I disagree with your last comment, it is flawed logic. 'Coaching up' versus 'talent' are not mutually exclusive; every Program has numerous examples of elite and non-elite players (look at the recent 2 and 3 star players that Saban inherited that signed with the NFL - Anders, Arenas, Reamer) that required sound coaching of technique, pad level, foot work, etc in order to make themselves a success at their respective positions. I think it's pretty clear that talent alone doesn't make the player. Else, you and I could be the head coaches.

all_vol_24 writes:

Tennessee needs to forget about simms and start out one of the young guys out at quarterback. You all have to remember that we are also bringing in Nash Nance, a quarterback that was not highly recruited but had really good offers from VANDERBILT and STANDFORD. All i am sayin is we dont need to cancel him out because i know some years back there was a non highly recruit from Santa Clause, Indiana by the name of Jay Cutler that is now playing in the NFL now. I hope Dooley knows what he is doin and changes this football program around. GBO!

striker4545 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

VERY funny, and yet VERY true my friend. Dooley had better pull off at least a couple of wins against Bama, or Florida over the next say 3ish years or he's toast. Fair, doesnt matter, thats what one must do to keep their job.

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Dawg, have you been able to determine what CMR & Co. are doing to correct all the penalties (i.e. lack of discipline)? That was amazing last year, if I was a dawg fan alot of hair would have been extracted from my scalp due to frustration.

DaddyVol writes:

Blood is thicker than water.

If CDD loses...we don't want him.

If CDD wins...he's headed to Georgia.

For all of you orange koolaid drinkers out there who think that just because a man has integrity...he won't jump ship and go after (in his mind)a better job if it becomes available...let me remind you of this now famous quote...

"We will sing Rocky Top all night long after beating Florida."

That person is now singing "Men of Troy"

Dooley wins = we're screwed once again. Bank on it!

volboy81 writes:

let the man do his job! Support UT, win or lose! There will probably be some bad Saturdays coming up, but thats life. If all we have to worry about is losing some football games, we're pretty lucky! I hurt inside when UT loses, but there are a lot worse things that can happen on a fall Saturday besides losing a football game! ...Lets have patience, understanding and perspective.
GO VOLS!!!

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to DaddyVol:

Blood is thicker than water.

If CDD loses...we don't want him.

If CDD wins...he's headed to Georgia.

"We will sing Rocky Top all night long after beating Florida."

That person is now singing "Men of Troy"

Dooley wins = we're screwed once again. Bank on it!

The rest of us non-UT fans (not trolls) are having a difficult time understanding the fear / paranoia because - with the exception of UGA, we are used to coaching changes. They suck, almost always difficult to transition even if you are FSU.

Point being, UT fans are rightly spoiled due to Fulmer's long term tenure. It's not the norm, sadly, in today's world. Although it is very doubtful, Saban could leave next year and Bama fans should be thankful for an excellent run and return to relevancy.

I feel the pain although I cannot really empathize due to differing circumstances. You guys were really fortunate to have such a long term in coaching stability. Wish it could be different a ala the 1970's but those days are gone forever. CDD may indeed leave for 'greener pastures' (however that is defined) if he restores UT excellence - but the best a college football fan can hope for is that their University has a strong AD in charge of the wheel - and a 24/7 coaching contingency plan.

SuckTheseVols98 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think some UT fans have been reading too many conspiracy theory books.

That's a great post. I have never thought about him and the UGA job from that perspective and have always been skeptical he would take the job if offered. It makes perfect sense though from his comments,in multiple interviews, about he and his father's relationship. GO VOLS!!

SuckTheseVols98 writes:

in response to volboy81:

GO VOLS!!!

I agree completely. The Coach says it best, "I don't think there's ever been a situation where you have five new offensive linemen, a new quarterback and a new running back with a new head coach." --CDD

volhome#407234 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

And why would Rocky Top be on the list? It isn't even our fight song! The fight song here is Down The Field!

crimsonviper writes:

in response to AthensHomerDawg:

Dawg,where do you hear Mettenberger is talking to the Vols? Not doubting you but I would like to read it.

DaddyVol writes:

in response to volhome#407234:

You are both wrong...

This is our new fight song...

stevefrommemphis writes:

Kiffin v Dooley is like dating a famous Hollywood starlet for a year, then figuring out when she left abruptly that the girl down the street who you've known forever is a better match anyway.

Saw Dooley last night in Chattanooga and was impressed by his intelligence and thoughtfulness in answering questions. He's much more personable and mature than Kiffin. I hope he can coach and recruit like Kiffin and crew, because there were some really good coaches on that staff. Hopefully we kept a couple of the best ones.

I'm not too worried about Dooley leaving for Georgia. Vince didn't leave Georgia when his alma mater called -- and Georgia isn't even Derek's alma mater. Only thing to think about now is how to beat those Alabama low-lifes on an ongoing basis.

murrayvol writes:

in response to tn_rockytop:

go vols 12-0 next year :]

We'll likely get to 12-0 in something.....probably not football.

murrayvol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think some UT fans have been reading too many conspiracy theory books.

Good points FWD. Vince was even offered the Auburn job and turned it down.

The good ship Tennessee is taking on a little water now but that will change. This is a Top 10 program and will be again. CDD knows that.

RollTideJoe writes:

I wish Coach Dooley well. Obviously, I want the Tide to win in the rivalry, but other than our direct game I really hope that he has a good season. I think that he is a decent man. His task for a couple of years is daunting, but the fans need to give the man some time.

orangecountyvols writes:

Pl3 and RichRollinz2,

Enjoyed your posts a lot. Well said. Farragut posted a civil message about the disaster with the flood in Nashville, then.............given time, that changes. He's back along with the "littlegunz" with the negative messages.

Fact is, most of us know the situation, inexperience here and there, new coaches etc. Yet, there are those who dwell on all this as if their lives are depending on it. Some posting here don't feel as if their day isn't complete unless they can come in and let fly with the sarcastic remarks, and you know what?
It just gets tiring, boring, and useless to daily see the same rhetoric from the same old trolls.

However, if that's what gives some of them great satisfaction, consider the source and let's move on.