Kiffin move 'part of the business'

Lane Kiffin

Photo by J. MILES CARY

Lane Kiffin

Just business.

That is the message Lane Kiffin will share with a national audience this week.

"I never once told any of those players I would be there forever," the former Tennessee football coach told HBO's Real Sports in an interview that will air on Tuesday. "I never made the statement 'I was coming here; this is my dream job.' "

Kiffin left UT in January to take his self-described "dream job". He offered little solace to the players he recruited to UT.

"It's part of the business," Kiffin said. "As they get older, they understand. That's why they put buyouts in contracts."

Kiffin also was asked about fans' response to his departure. Many congregated in front of UT's athletic complex to voice their displeasure.

Mattresses and T-shirts bearing Kiffin's name were burned shortly after he announced he had accepted the head coaching position at Southern California.

"I think that you're dealing with very passionate people," Kiffin said, referring to UT fans. "You become one of theirs. So when you leave, it's like you're truly leaving them."

Kiffin's wife, Layla, also was asked about the move and said people shined lights into her home the night of her husband's departure.

"It was just scary," she said.

Layla Kiffin also received threatening phone calls and text messages, HBO reported, including one that said, "We want to eat your first born child."

"In my wildest dreams I didn't think about it being to the level that it was going on with her," Lane Kiffin said.

Kiffin's father, former UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, was asked about his time at UT.

"I really was not going to go to Knoxville, Tennessee, when I have a house right on the Gulf of Mexico (in Tampa, Fla.). Why would I go to college?" the elder Kiffin said when recalling his son's first advances.

"The only thing I wish Lane would have told me (is) that we were only going to be there one year and I would have rented. I bought a house!"

Lane Kiffin also was asked about his childhood nickname, Helicopter, which was given to him by his mother.

"She said I would go into all the different rooms of the house - or classrooms - always stirring things up," he said.

Asked if he was still a helicopter, Kiffin said, "I've grown up."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

DaddyVol writes:

First. Go to heaven Kiffin.

Joevolsxtra writes:

Who knew Mike Tyson was a Vol fan?

FWBVol writes:

The Liar Lane might not have ever told the players he was going to be at Tennessee forever, but he led them to believe he would be there at least long enough for the freshman to finish their first year.

Even Monte's answer seems to indicate he thought his son would be the coach of the Vols for the long haul.

Good riddance once again. Please, no mass on old "One and Done."

TommyJack writes:

Weak. Doldrums article. Enough.

UTME06 writes:

As if we didn't know already, Kif is an as_ But what really bugs me is how overplayed the "riots" are. I wasn't there, but if you watch the videos, it was like 500 kids laughing and milling around. Hardly a big deal. I did burn a mattress once, after UT beat FL at the swamp in '01. That didn't make any news ever. Just hate that the media... even our local media... wants to make us look like a bunch of red necks, when it's just a bunch of college kids doing college stuff.

JustaStudent writes:

Can we just stop talking about him? Why does it matter anymore? His time here is going to be one small dark spot in an otherwise very good Tennessee football legacy. Let's move on and forget about him; he never truly cared about us anyway.

volfan#207874 writes:

Quote, "I've grown up." Not yet, lil lying Laney boy...not yet. Perhaps in a decade or two, but definitely not yet!

VOLFORLIFE writes:

Asked if he was still a helicopter, Kiffin said, "I've grown up."

No, not sure he really has.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

cumberlandVOL writes:

wasn't there a poll on GVX recently that strongly demonstrated we don't want to hear about this guy anymore?

KINGKONG writes:

I hate kiffin stories you dont know if he is keeping it real or not.First he was at usc then he went to the raiders next he is at ut and now back usc.The helicopter is never stable always hoovering around

tn_rockytop writes:

glad there gone

bluetick writes:

I think the only thing he learned from Al Davis was to be a snake in the grass. What a punk he is. Who cares about this fool! He's right where he belongs. Stuck up, I'm better than you country. Nobody here cares about this idiot. Find something else to write about.

clvolfan writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Weak. Doldrums article. Enough.

Agree'd, who cares ?

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Ahhh, our weekly Kiffin article. Thanks tuba...

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

He wasn't a southern boy anyway. That's all I hope ever coaches from now on in Knoxville.

TennesseeGorilla writes:

He's a loser and always will be...

iowavol writes:

Who cares....

vol75 writes:

For the love of Pete! Enough already... Stories about Kiffin are getting to be as constant as nightly Hitler stories on the History Channel.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

zzzzzzzzzzzzz..Huh? what? OHHH! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

kdaff51 writes:

Cant we just let this guy go away?

crimsonviper writes:

After the NCAA takes care of business next week,we will see if the job is all that dreamy.

mrvol2u writes:

Kiffool didn't fall to far from the tree. Elder Kiffin was on Sports Animal the day after telling everybody how he hated to leave. Sounds like a smartdonkey about it in this article.

My apology to Layla for the way out of line fans for their actions and spineless phone threats.

I have said it before and will say it again, his leaving was for the best. He is a liar, self absorbed, and a cheater.

Quite frankly, I think we got off lucky. I was one that was pretty excited about him at first but as more and more Kiffool came to the surface, the less I liked what was going on in and around the program.

wfd53 writes:

Apparently "dream job" trumps "character" in Lane Kiffin's mind. In the eyes of the entire SEC nation, Kiffin is a loser and always will be.

bobbarbilly writes:

Kiffin who???

tngivem6 writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Poetic justice on the way for Lil kiffin and USC.
NCAA should lay the hammer on them.
heck, 2 coaches were even there when all this Bush stuff happened in the first place, what makes you think, if they were just slapped on the wrist (taking victories away), that this staff wouldn't do it again,and again amd again. Big cheaters.
5 years, reduction of scholarships, no bowls or championships for 3, no tv for 1 year.
come on NCAA, set the standard and do the right thing.

GerryOP writes:

111 -- Fear The Dooley Dude...

RoadTrip writes:

I think I need to take a Kiffin, and I will use this article to ... well, you know.

I see that Hook still has his man crush on the Liar Surfer Dude.

1965Vol writes:

Nope, that Kiffin fellar never said he was going to stay at UT forever, he only told the recruits he was here to win national championships. So, I guess he expected to win an NC the 1st year?

That boy's got a lot of growin' up to do before he can say without lyin', "I've grown up."

Observer43 writes:

Jeeze Dave....I would expect this from Adams. (you know---beating a dead horse)...but you?? Lets move on!

No news here. Must really be slow at the KNS!!!!!

brokebackvol writes:

Oh C'mon. It was an interesting roller coaster, and there are literally millions of non-UT fans that are mildly to strongly interested in this kind of story with passion. I am disappointed in the nuts that harassed Layla, but he was NEVER a good fit at UT. Hamilton made a bad decision picking him, and hopefully it won't happen with Dooley.

taylorsvolfan writes:

POS !! At least we have a coach with the character of DD.

crimsonviper writes:

Dave this is my interpretation of your latest failure.

charles57#1378642 writes:

I hate Kiffin and did before he came to Tennessee.
What I don't understand is people who write such things as, "Can't we just let this guy go away?"
If they don't want to know about the punk they don't have to read the articles, huh?

ETownVol writes:

VolsINFan writes:

I'VE HAD ENOUGH ABOUT THIS GUY!

We all know he is a slimeball. He came, he screwed the program, the current and former players, the fans, and the tradition.

For crying out loud, he is gone KNS, give it a rest!

TNPilgrim writes:

Is the KNS EVER going to give up on this guy? Let the memory of this clown die a natural death so we can forget about him and his bimbo wife. Why can't the local sportswriters show them the same indifference they display toward UT?

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Dave this is my interpretation of your latest failure.

you will be getting your warning letter in the mail from PETA for that one.

rootin4volz writes:

Yawn. Oh yeah...it's mid-May...slow time for Hooker stories, so he's dredging up ancient history, and making sure the flames stay sufficiently fanned.

ANGRYWOLF writes:

in response to tngivem6:

Poetic justice on the way for Lil kiffin and USC.
NCAA should lay the hammer on them.
come on NCAA, set the standard and do the right thing.

Won't happen like you want it to.
Some UT fans want USC to get the death penalty.
That won't happen either.Heck SMU finally had a decent team last year after all that time has passed.The NCAA won't make the mistake of giving another team the death penalty.
USC will lose some scholarships and might lose some games..have some wins taken away and won't be able to go to bowls for a couple of years but that's about it.

As for Kiffin I wasn't surprised he left. USC was his dream job.

Seriouslyorange writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

How about CBP.........where would BB be without that 'good old boy'? Good ole Yankee if you ask me (and you didn't) but I love the guy and hope he stays till he is so old they have to bring him into TBA on a stretcher, oxygen,the whole 9 yds. Yankees ain't too bad, they "jest tawk funnie'

nicknack1 writes:

People got upset for a reason and it wasn't because of the way he left. They got mad because they knew what Kiffin was doing here. He may have been cheating, but there was alot of enthusiasm around the program, top recruits, and successful coaches. We lost to two #1 teams by a combined 12 points. We almost beat Alabama. We could've beaten Florida. People loved him now they hate him. If Dooley doesn't do good, people are gonna hate him too even though they like him now

farragutfanatic writes:

good riddance to bad rubbish

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to nicknack1:

nicknack paddy whack
give this guy a bone
everything in this post
really does hit home

TommyJack writes:

in response to crimsonviper:

Dave this is my interpretation of your latest failure.

Mwahahahahaha

wagee12 writes:

Haw, haw, why didn't they ask the lying SOB about his current battle with Heather Mitts in the Sweet 16????
Poetic justice would be the NCAA dropping a bomb on those low lifes just before the Lame- propaganda aires on TV.

give_him_6 writes:

Really Hooker...get over your man-crush on Lame. It's really embarassing to see you, a "respected" journalist, still trying to get into Kiffins pants. Sheesh...he's moved on.

SEC1 writes:

in response to give_him_6:

Give Hooker a break it's not his fault that UT'S football program is so "DEAD" he has to go fishing for something to write about. GO GATORS!!

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

in response to SEC1:

fail

dvhill100 writes:

It is a business. Yes, it isn't normal for a coach to only stay a year and then leave, but he never made any secret about wanting to be at USC. There was no good way he could leave.

As for the idiots who pulled that trash with his wife, get a life.

I am not defending LK or the way he left, but most did not have any problem with PF getting canned. The business of coaching is a brutal business.

volsbandit writes:

"In my wildest dreams I didn't think about it being to the level that it was......."Lane Kiffin said. Mr. Kiffin, Volunteer football IS that level and more. It's life here. Anybody knows that.