DB Jones has UT in top 5, but it's 'going to be probably a long while'

Tennessee is in catch-up mode with Christion Jones.

The Vols have made a nice early impression on Jones, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound defensive back from Minor High School in Adamsville, Ala.

Jones has UT in his top five along with Auburn, Florida, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame. He said Auburn and Florida are his top two schools.

Jones said he likes new UT coach Derek Dooley and his staff. Jones said he just needs more time to get to know them.

“It’s going to be probably a long while,” Jones said. “With them being new you have to see their personality and how they communicate with you. Doing that will help me know more about them.”

Jones knows UT needs help in the secondary.

That’s why he believes he could contribute for the Vols immediately in 2011.

“I really think I could come in there and make an impact as a freshman,” said Jones, who could play cornerback or safety in college.

Jones already knows one of UT’s future players.

His former teammate, linebacker Raiques Crump, signed with the Vols in February and plans to enroll in summer school in June.

Jones said he’s heard plenty about UT from Crump.

“He’s telling me a lot about them,” Jones said. “That would be a great thing to go with one of my former teammates.”

Still, it’s hard to tell how much of an influence Crump will make on Jones’ decision.

“Probably a little,” Jones said. “I’m not going to say a lot because I try to go by my own instincts.”

His instincts right now say Auburn.

Jones said the Tigers lead Florida in his top two.

He pointed to his relationship with coach Gene Chizik and the staff at Auburn.

“When I went down last time I had a chance to interact with the coaches and player,” Jones said. “I think I can come in right away and fit in with Auburn.”

Jones said he’s been impressed by Florida’s ability to develop players for the NFL.

The Gators had two defensive backs, Joe Haden and Major Wright, who were selected in last month’s NFL draft.

“If you want a place to help you get to the next level that is a good choice,” he said. “Those guys are well coached.”

Alabama could be a school to watch for Jones. The Crimson Tide hasn’t offered but has shown interest.

Alabama would immediately put itself in contention if it decides to make Jones an offer.

“They would probably squeeze into the top three,” he said.

Jones said he hopes to take unofficial visits to UT, Auburn, Florida and Notre Dame this summer.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Orangeatang writes:

First!!! This kid's stayin' in Alabama.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

And after reading Alablubber and UF'n-suck are on top, now queue the trolls.......

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

We already know, this guy will DEFINATELY be an alleyGator according to DC and "Why would he go anywhere else" according to fairygut0406 and SECFB,etc.

So Dooley, since these "new" football fans (discovered team/jumped on that wagon) know more than you and your staff, don't even bother with recruiting this kid.

Save that scholarship for (according to them) a nobody (one that isn't on UA or UF list).

txvolsfan writes:

Just give me the article when he commits and signs, the rest is speculation and what ifs.

John_10065 writes:

If he is looking for playing time in the defensive backfield, UT is a good choice provided he has the skills. We're weak there with our graduation and draft concessions.

I could rant a lot about how student-athlete has just changed to Pro-system-farm-athlete but that is for another day.

If he wants to come here and develop, let him come. If he is considering playing time as a freshman plus T.V. exposure so he can go to the draft ASAP, let FL, AL or someone else have him.

mercuryvol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Oxycontin at work.

HtownVol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

You are really showing that your posts are not worth a flip.

I bet you couldnt spell out "CNS" so you abbreviated. I dont blame you. I dont know who the H Bamas DB coach is (even though he is the best in the country)...OK

Will someone please commit to UT....Why did you post that? Do you realize that Coach Dooley signed a top 10 class in 3 weeks of being the UT coach? And he is a former Recruiter of the year?

I am not going to reply to you again, but please just make better comments on here if you can.

Do not act like Bama has been on top forever and that UT can not recruit. I only ask because I dont like to see people make fools of themselves with such childish comments.

This site is better for everyone when people make valid points and have informed conversations instead of trying to be a bad Arsse behind a computer.

NoSirRee writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

What do you mean "you people"? You're racist. haha jk. Who do you have playing in the title game this year? I'm thinking Florida and Alabama again, but I could see a possible let down for Alabama and LSU possibly contending. But my money is on Alabama.

RespectTradition writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I have never been to a site dedicated to another team to read the articles. I have never read a single post on one of those sites. I simply do not care what they have to say. The Big Orange is enough for me.

Between church, family, friends, work and watching sports on TV or playing them myself, I have very little time left over to waste reading articles from journalists that occasionally know what they are talking about. I have even less time to read the mostly ignorant, emotionally colored comments of people like myself who want to talk about our Vols with each other.

Who in the world has so little of a life and so much free time that they can waste all of the time and effort it takes to read and comment on the articles and posts of fans and teams that they do not even care for. That is just sad.

Do those people have a right to be here? Of course. But why do they care? I simply don't understand. Are they that insecure? I am secure enough in who I am and what I believe that I do not feel the need to argue with others about it. I don't post very often, usually there is little that needs to be said. Plus, I am not so arrogant to believe that I know better than all of the other people posting. I have found several of the posters here to be intelligent, thoughtful, funny, supportive and knowledgeable. I enjoy reading their comments. Some of them are even fans of other teams. I still don't understand why they waste their time at a UT fansite, but that is their business. The truth is, I actually feel sorry for the ones who come here just to start arguments. They know that their comments are unwelcome and unwanted. They know that sports conversations are usually more about emotion than having the facts straight. Yet still they persist. It is sad.

Oh well, to each his own.

Keep up the good work CDD. Take your time, find the 'right' fits for us, not just the easiest or biggest names.

Go Vols!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I would get excited if Alabama's number one band wagon fan(aka Farragut0000) would not be on this site 24/7

american_pitvol_terrier writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

POOKIE!

VolSkins writes:

This upcoming class will be determined by what Dooley does in the finish of the recruiting class in February. It may also determine the length of time Dooley enjoys his time in Knoxville...

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

I'm flattered. Glad to keep the Vols on your priority list of things to do everyday!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Come on, you're that upset with me? A fan of a team YOURS has beat 3 years running? Dang, I am in your head.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

..........BOOOOOOOOO!

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

haha, hey fellow Vol fans, check these posts nightly, I'll just spat of nonsense and you sit back and watch a bummer fan defend his team and get mad on GOVOLSXTRA for a Vol fan "daring" to say something about his precious 'tide.

(I'm in his head)

BamaVol writes:

in response to AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons:

Why are you on this site? Is your site that dull?

BamaVol writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Does anyone know why birds fly upside down over Tuscaloosa? Answer: nothing worth sh----g on.

TLepage writes:

just saw that scout updated their ratings.... Alan Posey and Christian Harris are both three star prospects now.....

TLepage writes:

quote from watts dantzler that i saw on scout, with respect to the schools leading for his services:

“I do know Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn will definitely be on my final list. They will get official visits for sure. I am not sure about the others yet, but those three will be there until I commit."

Come on, coaches!!!! Let's start getting some big name players!!!! I have been positive up to this point, but we aren't winning any recruiting battles against the BIG BOYS.... Hope i'm wrong, but lets face it we aren't off to that great of a start and don't seem to be impressing top level talent....

NeylandWest writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Good lord...lay off the meth, okay?

oldsmokey67 writes:

Little gunzz get your facts straight.Dooley had to re-recruit most of the eight players that enrolled early.Please do a little research before you post.

TLepage writes:

in response to oldsmokey67:

i'm not agreeing with or sticking up for bignuzz, but those 8 were already enrolled in classes for a week before Dooley was even hired... So the credit there would have to go to Kippy Brown and the other coach's that were left behind (i.e. Lance Thompson and Jim Chaney).... They all enrolled and showed up to class the day after Kiffin left (5+ days before dooley was hired)....

easleychuck writes:

in response to mercuryvol:

Oxycontin at work.

No, just inbred. He never had a chance.

easleychuck writes:

in response to TLepage:

Actually, you sort of are agreeing and supporting littlepeashooter. Any and all eight could have left. Any and all could have filed an appeal for varying reasons to the NCAA and might have won their cases so that they would not have had to sit a season.

Coach Dooley, most likely, spoke to them and their parents in an adult manner about what he had in mind for the kids and the program. That was the re-recruitment that had to take place. As I recall, the James youngster had packed up an moved back to Ga the next day after wonderboy split.

Littlepeashooter runs most UT fans down because we choose to be hopeful and optimistic for the program and Coach Dooley going forward. He accuses us of hating on Coach Fulmer and his accomplishments as coach of the Vols. Nothing could be farther from the truth, but Coach Fulmer was bought out. He is no longer the coach. So littlepeashooter thinks that he and the minority who agree with him should go unchecked for slamming on the new Coach who has yet to coach his first game at the school.

I, for one, refuse to let littlepeashooter spew his venom and poison without calling him on it.

GO VOLS !!!!!!

easleychuck writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Oh well, to each his own.

Go Vols!

You are an endangered person in the world that we live in today.

You are normal. Trolls are the polar opposites of all that is good and important in most of our lives. They will never begin to comprehend the fine points that you made in your post. They have no redeeming values.

I long for the day that KNS adds an ignore feature to allow for blocking their responses from those that are not interested. This would put the trolls right back under the bridge. And before, someone offers the 'report option', that does not keep the trolls from view.

AtlantaTide writes:

This is the type of column that UT fans don't want to read. The problem for the writers is that Dooley's public persona and recruiting style is the polar opposite of Lane Kiffin and that is a big adjustment for any fan to digest, much less a sportswriter.

CDD is no doubt making inroads and he will, but a fan base that is starving for information is almost tormented by these columns that barely mention UT as being in the Top 5. There are many other recruits that one could find who are much more in UT's sweet spot. I feel for you guys, again Bama has been there and you wonder sometimes if the local press is rooting against your beloved team.

Again, it's a very long time to NSD, UT has enormous resources / tradition to sell to many recruits, chief among them is playing time. Keep the faith gents.

AtlantaTide writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Oh well, to each his own.

Go Vols!

Well said, excellent post.

RespectTradition writes:

in response to AtlantaTide:

Really, I don't wonder if (a lot of) the local press is rooting against us. I think all the regular readers know the answer to that one.

I really don't pay a lot of attention to recruiting myself. Watching to see what a lot of overhyped 17 year olds are thinking and trying to predict what they wanna do is just too neurotic for me. Until NSD, I don't really give it more than just passing attention. None of it matters till then. Commitments don't seem to mean squat. If you've paid much attention to the national transfer rate lately, it doesn't even seem like signing means as much as it used to.

Either way, I'm not gonna stress over it. If we can't win consistently over the next few years, I will worry. Until then, I will just celebrate all things Orange and try to ignore the doom-n-gloomers (until they finally get on my nerves so much I have to say something).

Go Vols!

TLepage writes:

in response to easleychuck:

GO VOLS !!!!!!

you're right, but none of this changes the fact that they had been enrolled in classes at UT for a week when Dooley was hired.... They had the option of not enrolling like Brandon Willis, but they stayed even without a head coach.... That means the University sold itself.... You can give Dooley credit for the remaining 16 that signed on signing day, but not in this scenario... I am a Dooley supporter, but he did not get the early enrollees....

easleychuck writes:

in response to TLepage:

Thank you so much for being a Dooley supporter. The kids were early enrollees in a college, not prisoners being incarcerated or hostages being held against their wills. They could have left, and had to sit out. They could have left and filed appeals. The NCAA has been granting more and more hardship, etc. type of transfers recently. The fact that these were for all practical purposes still high school kids....the press against the NCAA could have been brutal if they had decided to walk. The way Kiffin bailed on these kids that he was recruiting would have made a compelling case for a transfer wavier. You can give wonderboy the credit for them enrolling at UT. I choose to believe that Coach Dooley had plenty to do with them staying enrolled. If you had comprehended the post you would not have chosen to conveniently ignore what I said about why Coach Dooley gets a ton of credit for those kids staying. I have had 1 child go through the recruiting process. If this had happened to him, you can bet your arse that if we were not convinced by the new coach of his plans, there would have been a transfer whether our son had to sit a year or not.

Wonderboy did 'get' the early enrollees, but Coach Dooley kept them.

wayoutwill writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

Oh well, to each his own.

Go Vols!

AMEN!I can't even imagine going to another team's website.It shows how jealous these other dudes are about our great program.They are such lil' deebs for being in here.They got no life and they got no brain.Go fraking die somewhere ferrygut--Like on your on team's website!Git!Shoo!Be Gone!Skeedattle!