Dooley: No 'doom and gloom here'

Straight talk, lots of humor in South Carolina

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley leaves the field following the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium on April 17.

Photo by Adam Brimer

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Duane Sharpe didn't get very far into his question.

"Since the offense is already going to be struggling," the Columbia resident began only to have a smiling Derek Dooley cut in.

"I didn't say that," the first-year Tennessee coach said with a chuckle and tone of mock protest while emphasizing the word that. "I don't want to be spreading doom and gloom here."

Dooley's reaction drew a laugh from the approximately 180 alumni and fans on hand at Seawell's Caterers, the site of the latest stop of the Big Orange Caravan on Tuesday night. But the exchange set the tone for evening's question-and-answer session: a light-hearted thrust-and-parry session in which Dooley delivered straight talk laced with plenty of humor.

Questions ranged from his offense, scheduling and recruiting philosophies to the in-the-news issues of former player access to practices and the length of time it took to hire a defensive coordinator.

"I like the man," Sharpe said after the event. "He's very straightforward, honest. He doesn't beat around the bush. He knows we have some weaknesses, and he's working to fix them."

The questions are hardly new to Dooley, who is about three weeks into his first caravan as coach of Tennessee.

"Because I haven't been out and we've had so much to do in the last four months there is some curiosity about 'who is this guy,' " Dooley said before the event. "But I think most of the fans just want to feel like the program is in good shape. There has been a little bit of 'we've been knocked on our heels' mentality."

"I hope they come away (from this) with the sense that we're going to be OK - that we've hit a little bump along the road in the great history of a program that has really defined winning and stability probably better than any other SEC program, but that we're in good shape. "

To that end, Dooley extended the question-and-answer period, ultimately taking nearly a dozen questions. His answers stayed close to the values of passion, stability and people, and former coach Lane Kiffin's name was never mentioned, either by Dooley in extended media comments before the event or by those in attendance.

"We can't pretend like (the past couple of years) didn't happen," Dooley said. "There are some things we can't quite fix right away, but . . . we're laying a good foundation to reestablish what Tennessee had. In a couple of years, I want people to look back and be proud of where we're headed."

According to alumni club officials, Tuesday's turnout represented about a 20-percent increase over the turnout for the caravan's last visit to Columbia three years ago, but they may not have to wait as long for the caravan's next visit. Dooley indicated he has initiated athletic department discussions about including Columbia and Charlotte, N.C., on the Big Orange Caravan stop on a yearly basis given the fact the Vols actively recruit both states.

Mark Lawrence is freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volstate writes:

I think it'll be a tough year but we'll go bowling. This team will pull at least one out of the hat that nobody expected us to get. Orange Nation baby!

OrangePsyched writes:

No gloom and doom here either coach...at least with me and many others. It will be an interesting season and I hope us positive sorts will have a lot of reason to say I told you so. If not we will have to hear all the smack from the naysayers and trolls. FOREVER ORANGE!

rudy123 writes:

in response to Volstate:

I don't know how you feel that we will be bowl eligible this upcoming season. I was watching a
college football program on ESPN yesterday. During the session that they were discussing the SEC, the commentator said and I quote "With the schedule that Tennessee has and the lack of depth they have, they will have a good year if they win 4 games next season." End of quote!!!!
You, my friend, will end up dis-appointed, if you carry those expectations in to next season.
Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

CroKev writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

You surely don't sound like the Rudy from ND! Look, we all know it's going to be tough due to lack of depth but if we can keep our starters healthy, we certainly can hit .500 and go bowling. To me the whole season depends on the OL giving the QB some time. The defense will do fine but if the offense cannot control the ball, the defense is going to be exhausted and we just don't have the depth to be doing any rotations.

osbymartin#581730 writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

Oh no an "expert" on ESPN said we will may only win 4 games. I remember the so called "experts" that said UT would lose in the 1st Rd. to San Diego St. and we all know how that went. A bucket from the final four. Only time will tell how we do this upcoming season NOT so called "experts".

lincolncovol writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

Do you get all your knowledge from ESPN and their "experts"? If so, never mind, you wouldn't understand the rest!

ric1958 writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

jimr07 writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

If ESPN said it, it must be true.

VolsINFan writes:

I have written this before, but I will write it again. I am tired of all the talk and speculation--no one knows how the season will play out. The only thing that I want is to watch the Orange and White go out and whip the holy tar out of teams on the field and take out the frustrations that have built up over the past couple of years.

Go Vols!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

It depends on how many players can be corched up against the # who cannot.

Quick, short passes may be necessary for us to have any serviceable QB's by mid-season.

Just glad that at least we are trying to climb out of this considerable hole we're in.

GBO.

txvolsfan writes:

Being a sales rep and traveling Al., the common thought I hear from people who are close to Saban is that we have a good coach. Saban tells people close to him that in the next few years Dooley will be his biggest competition in the SEC. Saban says that Dooley is one of the brightest coaches and most disciplined he has ever worked with.

VOLliven2it writes:

Comment all we want, in the end we have to wait and see how our guys do on the field. Win or lose, either we are all VOL or something less. Derek Dooley is our coach, like it, dislike it, praise him, ditch him. I for one will be pulling for us to get to at least 6-6. We could do better. Even if we do worse, I am still an Orange blooded son of a gun. That does not change! For all you 4 wins people, we shall see! GO VOLS SHOW US WHAT YOU'VE GOT! Coach Dooley, MOST OF US are all behind you!

gnm53108 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

It depends on how many players can be corched up against the # who cannot.

GBO.

You're not wantin the dink n dunk back are ya?

ThurmondEppy writes:

On another note, I say that we should refrain from commenting on (or reading) the FOUR Kiffin articles on this site today. If KNS believes no one's reading them, maybe they will stop publishing them.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

Lots of talent; quality coaching; with luck 8 wins or more; Hard luck and 6-7 wins. It's not really all that hard or dramatic of a call.

TLepage writes:

i would like to hear about some 4 and 5 star recruits that have committed.... Not bashing, but i am getting nervous and will continue until we win some recruiting battles against top tier SEC programs.....

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Navalorange:

while I agree with most of all you are saying I believe "carp" is a fish! but I like your position..

gnm53108 writes:

in response to AllVol2008#1353998:

Agree.

OrangePride writes:

Yes..........it seems everyone likes Dooley and the way he is promoting Tennessee football.......me too. Now lets see if everyone is happy with the results on the field. But let's evaluate those results after 3 years and not 3 games. GO VOLS!!!

orangeman1 writes:

in response to OrangePride:

He knows what to say. He doesnt blow hot air like Kiffin, promising wins over Florida. And he doesnt throw his players under the bus, acting like he doesnt have talent like Kiffin either. He seems very political. I do agree that he should have 3 years, but also dont think he should be free from criticism until that point. He is open to criticism, but he hasnt even coached a game yet so I will wait until I see the product on the field.

VolGrad writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

"They" at ESPN stated 4 wins would be a good year for us this year? Wow! Well, that seals it for me.

Seems there were quite a few "experts" out there, including at ESPN, that thought we'd finish outside the top 10 back in 1998 as well.

Go Vols!!!

Southland writes:

come on guys. We have a good young coach who will make some mistakes and we are short on talent. If we go .500 we should be happy this year. Please dont talk like we are going to win 8 games. People will be bitter all over again if we do not do that. Ky will not beat us again this year. Stop Cobb and you have stopped Ky. It will take Dooley a couple of rough years and then we should be alright Be patient

tnsportsman writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

OH NO ESPN RULES! Most of those guys couldn't make it either as a player at the next level or coaching that's why they are on TV.

IMO and taking all bets, OUR VOLS will have 8 or more regular season wins this year!

Come see me after number 8!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

easleychuck writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

KNS toad, most likely. Nobody else could be this maladjusted.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

Wow! Four articles on Kiffin and one on actual UT football. To the editors – the only other articles I want to read regarding Kiffin and USC is when the NCAA lays the wood on them, and when USC fires Kiffin… that’s it!!!!! This is just ridiculous! Stop your man-love over Kiffin!

Now, on to UT football. I’m certainly not expecting any HUGE accomplishments this season. But for everyone talking about our woes (particularly as it pertains to offense), it would be remiss not to remind you that we were in a very similar situation last year. We were also thin on O-line (we had 2 walk-ons as you may recall), a QB who was erratic at best, and a tailback with a history of instability. While it wasn’t a great year, things still turned out ‘ok’. I can’t imagine this squad being a great deal different than that one… hopefully they’re just better coached, but only time will tell. :)

So to all you prognosticators, rather than predicting a completely defeated or undefeated season, why not sit back and see what our coaches are able to accomplish with the talent we have. We’ll only know for sure once the season starts.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Southland:

Wont ever be happy with a .500 season.

The coaches,recruits and fans of the big orange should NEVER have the expectation of a .500 season.It has happened and could happen again but that aint gonna be our expectation or something we will ever be happy about.

Vols20 writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

Those so called "experts" can't predict what is going to happen any more than you or me! Prior to the start of the 2009 season, Lou Holtz (who is as knowledgeable as anyone in the game and I have great respect for) predicted that Notre Dame would play for the national championship. That didn't work out too well for him did it?

Let's face it - Tennessee is going to struggle at times next year, but I think the future is bright. Anytime that you have a coach that is placing character above anything else at a place with the facilities like Tennessee, good things are going to happen. Coach Dooley is my kinda guy man...hard working, straight shooting, and prioritizing the right things.

We gonna be alright!

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Don't you have some grass to cut?

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Try typing it this way...cr@p. And no phooey.

GBO!

CadmiumOchre (Inactive) writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

Rudy to your doom and gloom I say:

Out in the vast expanse of the sea of doubt, and orange sun glows. Its beam first warm the waters then heats them to a greater extent. Warm air rises, dragging the water in the from of vapor with it. High above the sea the vapor condenses forming clouds--a soft wind blows. The whirling rise of the air draws more vapor above - the wind grows less soft. A dance begins, no wild gyrations, just a spinning as the cloud marshals more vapor to expand its size. The wind utters whistle then a deepened moan as it fully awakens. Says the wind to its accompanying cloak of vapor, "I'm tropical and depressed but as yet not done." It races across the sea as its transverses thermal patches of heated isles of water and grows even more. The wind's voice deepens then howls in primal victory. Waves below rise and fall in dizzying heights. Electrical fire rends the air followed by its friend the thunder. A hurricane is fully born. grown from the embryo of a soft wind far out in the sea of doubt. The storm slams with a suddenness into the shore. Wind, water, thunder and its electric fire. But the weather forecast was for clear skies, they say. From this storm comes a deep rumbling sound, punctuated by thunderous roars: VOLS AREN'T SUBJECT TO FORECASTS, ESPECIALLY MILD ONES! Then the sky turned orange with Vols football fury. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdEr67...

iowavol writes:

in response to VolGrad:

Go Vols!!!

You know, it all comes down to looking at the ESPN comment with the glass half full lense. I think the dude is right, if we win 4 games next year it will be a good year. He is basically saying that with a new offensive line, a new quarterback, a new coaching staff, a new offensive system - fourth in four years, new players on defense, a tough schedule and a depth issue, any team would have a good year if they won 4 games. It will be a better year if we win 5, even better if we win 6, dang good if we win 7, super year if we win 8, phenominal if we win 9, Dooley will be the second coming if we win 10, 11 is hard to conceive and 12 is unbelievable.

I believe we win our share, and maybe pick up a couple we shouldn't. I believe in the team and the coaching staff. Go Vols.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

At least UT doesnt stay on probation every year. Yea your GREAT program won 1 NT in the last 17 years. UT has won 1 NT in the last 12 years. I take it you dont hang around Florida or LSU sites since they have us both beat recently.

allvols4life writes:

in response to FARRAGUT0406:

Once every 50 years? I didn't realize football had been around that long. 6 National Championships x 50 years between them = 300 years of college football. Considering the game of college football was not introduced until the late 1800s, something don't add up.

orangeman1 writes:

I'm also glad UT has a winning record vs Bama the last 20 years and Fulmer went 11-5 vs them. Maybe Dooley can continue the winning record vs Bama that we've enjoyed for the last 20 years.

usnavyvol writes:

in response to rudy123:

Hell, we will even lose to Kentucky next season.

You, me and the so called experts have no idea how the season will unfold. Who's to say we won't kick the phooey out of each and every team on our schedule? Just because everyone expects it to be a bad year does not mean it's gonna be a bad year. what would happen if this team has a huge chip on its shoulder all year long and just rolls? What then? You corner a mad dog and he comes out fighting. In the mean time Kensuckey has room on it's bandwagon, and it's got ur name on it.

John_10065 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

To have anything good said about UT football in AL is significant to put it mildly.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

I have believed this since the announcement(and researching Dooley's background).

Nick Saban doesn't keep anyone around him who doesn't share his dedication, passion, and desire to be great and Derek Dooley stayed with Saban longer than anyone. Coach Dooley will make mistakes along the way but he is in a place where he can and will succeed.... Tennessee.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to mlodmkr#473727:

I know how positive and supportive Vols fans are, and how fiercely they defend their team, but let's look at this from another perspective:

If Bama, Florida, Georgia, or LSU had a brand new coaching staff for the 2nd year in a row, had brought in a young and untested guy as head coach, was going to have a new QB, new RB, and 5 new offensive linemen, and had lost a phenomenal safety that elevated the defense all by himself, what would you all think? What predictions would you make for the upcoming year? I'll bet a nickle there would be more than a couple Vols predicting 4 wins for a team in that situation.

A 4 win prediction for UT might not turn out to be right, but it's one that can be backed up with reasonable arguments.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Good point for a self-admitted lizard. (jk) There are several on here that have made habit of predicting the Gators' demise simply because they have a new QB not named Timmy. Wishful thinking, maybe.

Just because someone is new does not mean that they are worse. In 2001, we had two freshman, two sophomores and a junior starting on the OL that went 10-1 and made the SECCG. I'm not from Missouri but I'll wait for the new OL, new QB, new RB to "show me" in the fall.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

I would look at the games on the schedule and base a prediction (which is one person's opinion, nothing more, nothing less) of about 6 or 7 regular season wins.

The wild card game is Oregon. Oregon will be more talented but coming into a packed, hot and humid Neyland Stadium with a defensive coordinator who knows them could be the edge and win that leads to a much better than expected season considering the inexperience on the lines and at the QB position. Improved special teams and having an offensive coordinator who has a proven track record and is now allowed to run the offense could make for some pleasant surprises. Having an adult as the head coach and a young, up and coming defensive coordinator with a recent college background can't hurt. I would be shocked by an 8 loss season.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to gnm53108:

You're not wantin the dink n dunk back are ya?

With the blitzes we're going to see this year
, maybe we won't get a QB buried.

Joe Montana once said, "No one can throw looking up at the sun"!

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Lizardgrad89:

Agreed. And much of the fan base from the schools you mentioned would be trying to put as positive a spin on the upcoming season as many UT fans are. None of us can be blamed for that, whoever you support.

I still believe the worst case record for the Vols is 5-7, with wins over UTM, UAB, Memphis, Vandy and UK. Maybe that's a bit of arrogance, especially with those last two games, but even the 2008 team won those two. I think the best to hope for is 9-3, with losses to Florida and Alabama and either Oregon or LSU. Now probably, the 2010 season will be a great deal like 2009, a roller coaster ride (just without the Kiffin/Orgeron fun house along the way).

Thanks for your comments. Can you prevail upon some of your Gator bretheren to be as civil as you with their comments? Hey, it's worth a shot.

OrangePsyched writes:

I'll take dink and dunk against the blitz. We have some gamebreakers at receiver or if LB's blitz hit stocker behind them. With an average offense you can win most games winning the turnover battle...field position battle... and through discipline be the least penalized. All these things can make up for talent, though talent isn't our issue, experience and depth are. By the way I have not read nor will read any of the articles on our former coach as he has no more relevancy to Orange Nation. GBO!

in response to gnm53108:

You're not wantin the dink n dunk back are ya?

Better the "dink n dunk" than the "drop-back n get sacked"! I'm mostly an optimist when it comes to the Vols, but we will have an ENTIRELY new O-line and QBs next year. I hope they all come on strong, but we might just have to rely on trying to fool 'em until we grow up enough to just run over 'em!

in response to OrangePride:

Hear, hear! All good fans should hope for the best, but it just may be that our "best" this year may be only five wins or so. I hope we get more, but I'm not going to be calling for Dooley's head if we don't, as long as I feel that the staff and the team are giving it all they have. I DO think better times are coming if we can all have a LITTLE patience.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Now this is the kind of article we like reading on here!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Rodney Garner is yesterday's news. Even in GA.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Rodney Garner is yesterday's news. Even in GA.

Even the doldrums forgot R. Garner.

DaddyVol writes:

Don't know when this was made (maybe spring practice), but it looks as though little Urbie doesn't like the Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press parts of the U.S. COnstitution.

Here, he is seen threatening a member of the press for quoting a Florida football players comments about how Brantley is better than Tebow.

VolFanNC writes:

Just don't understand the doom and gloom, does Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss have better RB's, DB's, WR's, DE's and LB's than us. Do they have proven QB's? Do they have a proven OL? How about UAB, UT Martin, Memphis?

Does Oregon have a proven QB, RB, and WR's? How about SC? They have a good QB? Good depth? This is the year their OL will step it up?

GA, LSU, FL, Bama all have beter depth and talent, but GA and FL are breaking in new QB's as well.

There are 4 games that should be losses (Ga, FL, Bama, LSU)

There are 3 toss-ups (SC, Ole Miss, Oregon) and 5 that should be wins. (UTM, UAB, Memphis, Kentucky, Vandy).

UT has talent, just lacks depth on the OL and DT position. Don't understand the complete doom and gloom crowd.