Gulbis gave Kiffin unexpected face time

LPGA Tour star lost to ex-UT coach in Sexiest Woman Alive

Natalie Gulbis' foremost tie to Knoxville is commendable. The second one, well, isn't much to boast about.

Sunday and Monday the LPGA Tour star benched her busy schedule to visit Knoxville and help raise money for diaperLOVE.org and the Boys & Girls Club of the Tennessee Valley and Las Vegas at the Purely Products Classic at Gettysvue Polo, Golf and Country Club.

But it wasn't so long ago that she was linked to the college city for a much different and dubious reason.

In March, Esquire Magazine's 2010 Sexiest Woman Alive bracket pitted Gulbis, a No. 1 seed, against former University of Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin, a No. 16 seed.

No, not Layla Kiffin.

Lane, now the coach at USC.

And Gulbis lost - 55 percent to 45 percent.

Kiffin subsequently knocked off NASCAR and IndyCar driver Danica Patrick before being ousted by soccer star Heather Mitts.

"This is why I came here. I'm trying to seek revenge on that," quipped Gulbis, who posted photos on her Twitter account of throwing darts and standing next to a Kiffin dart board during her time here.

"That was a pretty big upset. In fact, it's probably going to be the low part of my year, getting beat by him in that poll.

"No, it was fun. I did take it a little personally, though. I had to do a little bit of a check-in with my friends. 'Am I OK? Have I completely lost all my femininity here? I got beat by a guy.' "

Gulbis had only heard of Kiffin's name in passing on "SportsCenter," she said.

"But I didn't know a lot about him or why he was in the bracket," she said.

She was informed quickly.

"My team at IMG knew about (the bracket), friends that I have in Tennessee (knew)," said Gulbis. "My coach (Butch Harmon).

"Butch actually told me he voted for me seven times. He said he called everybody else to vote, and I still lost."

Gulbis won over Knoxville on Sunday and Monday. Gulbis orchestrated a golf clinic Sunday afternoon for some 200 kids from the Boys & Girls Club.

She then mingled and posed for pictures Sunday night at a party for tournament participants.

Monday she set up shop at the par-3 13th and hit a tee shot with every group of golfers and also did more photo sessions and autographs.

The cause of the inaugural event was too great for Gulbis not to give it her all.

"It's been a top-notch event from start to finish," she said.

"I just really wanted to get in front of the people and thank them for being a part of the event and supporting diaperLOVE, the Boys & Girls Club and Purely Products. There's been a lot of work. These people have worked very hard to make this event happen.

"To be able to thank them and also just continue the good wave of everything going on with this event. Now I get to go back and share what my experience was like and encourage other girls (on Tour) to come back."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bigdisbig writes:

utfpmd writes:

The KNS love affair for Kiffin continues.
Get a room!

vol68 writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

I want some Kevin O'Neil stories since he is at USC with Kiffin.

NoSirRee writes:

They have to use stories about Kiffin because there is nothing to report about Dooley unless he had another press conference meltdown about making phone calls. boom! lol

KptDBVol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

this absolutely, positively has to be Lane posting from the left coast...NOBODY else could possibly that far up another man's rectum. Biggunnzz got a serious bromance workin.

orangecountyvols writes:

OK Vols, with the 2 trolls you know what to do. Take notice KNS.

Thanks Jack !

tennezz writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

You seem to know a lot about getting stuck with the ugly sister!

kdaff51 writes:

Why do we have to keep hearing about this clown? The creative bucket at KNS gone dry?

ClassicVol (Inactive) writes:

I repeat. KNS get over your love of him. Find someone else to fill that spot for you.

You have to be strong and move on, there will be others.

houvol#438636 writes:

First and foremost is Natalie "Hot" or what. That is what we need to focus on. Of course the benefit was nice too.

easleychuck writes:

Littlepeashooter = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CoverOrange writes:

Hey Jack Lail, I clicked on this story to see the pictures of Natalie and read her story, not you-know-who. Don't count this click in the I-love-Kiff category.

BTW, one of your best 5 pictures of Natalie is a picture of a billboard?

BAFO writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Can you structure a sentence properly or are you the one with the man-crush (and not KNS)? However, I would much rather have the ugly sister than the 'been around the bases' sister - and we know the real definition for this behavior, which describes LK (left off the "C" on purpose). Fact is, LK is a one-night-stand because that's all he can be. Once MK retires and Coach O becomes an agent, LK with live a nice life having turned air castles into a concrete bank account.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

Orangeluvr,

Very well said, nothing but the truth.
What a breath of fresh air that would be for the rest of us.

Hopefully, KNS will pull the trigger.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to rcr12:

Yep.

clvolfan writes:

Here we go again, besides she cannot win on the lpga, just looks,guess we will hear about K----- all thru the season and into FB.

VolBoy17 writes:

Dooley sounds like Ex-President Bush,"I didn't know that gasoline would be reaching $3.00 a gallon". He is in denial when he suggests he knows nothing about the rats leaving the ship.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to VolBoy17:

What the h#ll are you talking about?

On second thought...never mind.

Bloodrunzorange writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Sounds like something you have experienced first hand.... Go Vols!

ThurmondEppy writes:

KNS now stands for Kiffin News Sentinel.

VOLliven2it writes:

Who is the University football coach in Knoxville? I heard it was a Dooley guy. Could someone, someone on here please update the Knoxville News Sentinel sportswriters on that? Please people, do not read these joke articles. By the way, the Vol tennis team takes on the west coast surfer folk for the title today. GO VOLS!

gnm53108 writes:

I dont know whats worse....Baseball season or reptiles.

ACWLY writes:

To KNS
WE DO NOT CARE ABOUT Kiffin or any part of her life, obviously you do. So you can read your own articles from now on, I'm done with KNS. BYE-BYE.

maciste54 writes:

The title to this article is just plain wrong in so many ways ! lol

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

"unless he (Dooley) had another press conference meltdown about making phone calls."

What does this refer to? (A serious question which I hope someone can answer.)

harleyln1956#415938 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

It seems you have a love affair w/ Sniffen, so why don't you move to CA. and live there. This way you can kiss his butt on a daily business. In other words, leave VOL country and go live with the serpents at usc. You are not a true Vol fan. I am tired of the posts about how bad Dooley is.before our first game.

GOJO writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Orangeluvr,

Very well said, nothing but the truth.
What a breath of fresh air that would be for the rest of us.

Hopefully, KNS will pull the trigger.

***
I'll vote for that !

givehim6 writes:

I know taking this little jabs at Kiffin is fun for some but remember how he thinks bad attention is still attention. Just forget him like a bad dream.

NoSirRee writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

What does this refer to? (A serious question which I hope someone can answer.)

Oh it wasn't really a meltdown. He was being asked about letting former players attend practice and kept saying make a phone call (while holding an imaginary phone to his ear) and saying "hey, I'm coming to practice" and "boom!" while hanging up the phone. I just thought it was a funny and the most new worthy thing he's done so far.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here. I waiting for the article to be something about Tennessee football. Very, very stupid waste of time and energy to write and read.

dtacker#607308 writes:

Too many words. I just wanted to see more pictures of Gulbis. hot....

Colliervol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

As usual, wrong again. Kiffin's leaving caused the issue. Last I checked, if he hadn't left, none of the issues you mention would have occurred. So who is at fault? Don't bother answering. Real (and intelligent) UT fans know the answer. And real UT fans (unlike you) will give Dooley the chance to recover from the damage inflicted by the #16 girl. If he can't do it, so be it. We'll go find somebody better and, this time, won't have to do it in two weeks because of that dim bulb Kibble.

And by the way, we didn't lose a QB as far as I can tell because Nick Stephens doesn't qualify. And while losing a couple of recruits, Dooley did add the #1 recruit in GA and the lineman from Nashville who wasn't coming to UT if Kiffin was there. Looks like an even trade to me. And if Brown and Douglas want to bail because their favorite girlfriend (#16 in your program) isn't there, so be it. I'd just as soon they not let the door hit them in the rear on the way out.

Does that explain it well enough for a simple mind to understand? Because that is the last time I'm going to help you.

Biggie writes:

in response to KptDBVol:

HAhHHAHahahHAhHAhahHAhaHAh!!!!!!!

Good one Kpt!

Colliervol writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Stealing women doesn't qualify you to know anything about coaching though. (Except that since Lane is #16 on that list, maybe you know something we don't know. Wink, wink)

You do realize that you are in that .1 of 1% of fans nationwide that think Kiffin did the honorable and correct thing here, don't you? Last I checked, when 99.9% of the people think you are wrong, chances are you are wrong. You are in a definite minority on this subject and it ain't just UT fans that think it. I was in Texas the week it happened and the media down there lit him up like a Christmas tree for being a spoiled brat whose only accomplishment so far was to have Monte as his daddy. But you have to give the scum some credit. He has parlayed that one thing into three jobs without accomplishing anything.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to NoSirRee:

NOSIRREE, you are at an ALL time low for clever post....I usually enjoy the humor with which you post...being the humor journalist I am, but the things you're coming up with lately...well in my business we refer to it as "writers block"..a dreaded condition that attacks without notice...much like the shanks or yips in golf...all you can do is play through it..or in this case write through it....and maybe it'll come back...or maybe not!

chrisw2967 writes:

another copy and paste session at kns.To get a job at kns all you have to do is be able to copy and paste and have a love fest for kippin.
maybe kns needs to be boycotted.

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

The former coach beat her out? Thats a shame.
And the article is titles wrong. It should read:

"KNS gives Kiffin unexpected face time"

walt23tn writes:

I'm getting ready to take this site off of my favorites list. I get on here to read TN news, and somebody is still infatuated/consumed by Lane Kiffin. What gives? And, when does it end? Nobody wants to keep reading uneventful/uninteresting bull**** about Kiffin.

VolFanFtl writes:

Can we PLEASE give this story a rest?

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to ThurmondEppy:

KNS now stands for Kiffin News Sentinel.

Boy, is that ever the truth.

I hope KNS has someone out in LA to document the next time Kiffin takes a big cr@p, so we'll know about it.

Meanwhile, until Gulbis wins an LPGA major, this is what she will be best known for. Jeez, talk about bad luck, hope she wins a major this year

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Easy there, Gomer. Methinks you've got a little bit of bitterness towards Dooley when he hasn't even had the chance to do anything yet. Did someone wet your ammo? Or did you just get beat up by Beetle Bailey?

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

i think you are lame kitten .if so your dad was the only reason i liked the hire butt in recent articles monta aint as good of a man as i thought.you all did not know tennessee life nor the vols and glad YOU ARE BOTH GONE...and your friends. Dooley is doing a good job and i bieleve he will be like nick saban one day he was 6-6 his first year .think vols will do better first year and better the second year. family,s will see he is a good leader and we got good position coaches that will teach.like chuck smith he will be so good for the d line happy with what we got.if you dont leave the site and jump on a bandwagon team. azz

hglover40#234154 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

You are correct - Kiffin was a great hire; He's knows football and is smart enough to surrond himself with great assistant coaches. I think he would have done great things at UT. And he'll probably do even more at USC with the better recruiting base (assumming he can follow the NCAA rules). Bad timing for us that the USC job came open - I really beleive USC is one of the few jobs Kiffin would have left UT to take. What you say about Kiffin seems true, however you are judging to quickly Coach Dooley and his staff. Plenty of NFL experience on his staff too. Wait and see what he puts on the field.

Blonde_Stranger writes:

I've got a little first hand knowledge, too:

Lane Kiffin's career record as a coach is 12 - 21, including 0 - 1 in bowl games.

When that record is stirred together with LK's lack of integrity and boorish behavior, only YOU can arrive at the conclusion that LK is a great coach.

I won't miss that twit one bit.

So far as your "ton of first hand knowledge," we're just not impressed with a guy who steals fat girls.

rockytop0414 writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

Personally, I tolerated Lane for his father (one of the best defensive minds in football history) and Coach O (one of the best recruiters in CFB). Having the annoying prodigal son was just something we had to deal with

allvols4life writes:

in response to Biggunzz44:

So is it a sinking ship or did Kiffin have it on the right track? In your first post, you say Dooley has screwed up what Kiffin started. Now you say Kiffin left a sinking ship. Not following you here. How do you screw up a sinking ship, if the ship is already sinking, it is already screwed up. Right?

Colliervol writes:

in response to Blonde_Stranger:

I've got a little first hand knowledge, too:

I won't miss that twit one bit.

That just about sums it up.

woodwr#217203 writes:

Wait....

WE could have voted for Lane's wife Layla?

She seemed like the smarter one, and he was the blonde, right?

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Surely someone can come up with something to write about other than Lane Kiffin! He's gone! MOVE ON!