Jacques Smith apologizes to teammates; victim says 'I just want to move on from it'

Tennessee defensive end Jacques Smith sacks South Carolina quarterback Stephen Garcia at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, SC on Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010. UT lost the game 38-24, giving them a 2-6 record.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Barring “something unforeseen,” Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said Jacques Smith likely would not miss any playing time as punishment for his Sunday morning arrest on simple assault.

The Vols freshman defensive lineman was issued a warrant, turned himself in and was released on $2,000 bond. Smith apologized to his teammates in a Monday morning meeting for defensive linemen, junior Malik Jackson said.

"That happened this weekend and we just got together this morning and there's a lot of rumors and stuff," Jackson said. "Jacques got in front of us this morning in the (defensive) line room and apologized, told us what happened.

"As far as the team goes, there's not too much discussion about it."

The 18-year-old Smith's bond and arraignment hearing is scheduled for Nov. 10 in Knox County Sessions Court.

The victim, 21-year-old Brandon Allen, said he had yet to hire an attorney, but planned to. Allen was previously identified as “Allen Lewis” because of an error on the Knoxville Police Department news release.

“I just want to move on from it,” Allen said. “I don’t want to get mad again.”

Allen declined any further comment on the matter.

The site of the incident, New Amsterdam, 1836 Cumberland Ave., was incorrectly identified as "RT Warehouse" in the KPD news release.

Allen, who was allegedly punched in the head from behind by Smith, told police officers that he sustained memory loss after the incident, according to a warrant obtained today by the News Sentinel. Allen, whom Smith allegedly punched and kicked as he lay on the ground, also required stitches to a finger and other medical treatment for a concussion.

Dooley declined Monday to comment any further about the incident than he did Sunday on his weekly teleconference.

“I think what’s been out is out, and it was an unfortunate incident, it was an isolated incident, it was an incident where Jacques got a little emotional over a girl and our players did the right thing to defuse the situation,” Dooley said. “It’s not any more complex than that. It’s been happening since Adam and Eve, I guess."

Dooley said the Vols do not have a curfew and did not indicate that he would be enforcing one in the near future.

"Do I have concerns about it? Of course I would if it was my child, and Jacques is like my child," Dooley said. "We don’t have a curfew, we ask them to use good judgment and he didn’t use good judgment.”

Smith, an Ooltewah native, has seen action in all eight games this season and is considered one of the Vols' most promising freshmen. The News Sentinel ranked Smith as the No. 1 prospect in the state of Tennessee coming out of high school.

Smith was suspended one game during the state playoffs last season for punching a teammate.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CoverOrange writes:

No comment necessary.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

cant say ive never been in a fight over a chickie. i did realize there were MORE out there though and it never happened again.

Vol86 writes:

2 Things:
1). Apologize to the one you hit first.
2). why do these fights end up where someone gets hit in head not face?
Well at least he is fighting over the girl not with the girl.

ACWLY writes:

After the way the games have been going I'd be a little pissed off too! Human nature I guess.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I heard about this last night but chose to comment until after the dust has settled.

I am just glad that his teammates were there to diffuse the situation before it got worse and thank goodness it didn't turn into an all-out brawl.

As far as punishment, that is up to CDD because he is the coach and he needs to handle whatever way he sees fit..BUT if I were the coach, I would have suspended Jacques for 1 game just to send him a message..I guess CDD knows every detail and maybe he sees that this doesn't warrant a suspension...I am just glad that Jacques apologized to the team for his actions, and I'm sure they respect him for that and forgive him.

The bottom line is that IT COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE..I am definitely NOT CONDONING it one bit, just trying to see the positives as always.

VOLtage writes:

Instead of getting into a fight I wish he had just stormed off and cut up an 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air in half with a hacksaw. That's the Vol way of letting off steam.

Volfan1 writes:

in response to Vol86:

2 Things:
1). Apologize to the one you hit first.
2). why do these fights end up where someone gets hit in head not face?
Well at least he is fighting over the girl not with the girl.

Yeah, glad he fought over the girl, not with her.....or sent her a "time to die" text. Then he could have been 'kicked off' the team and put back on the team a few games later.

iowavol writes:

in response to DooleysOrangePants:

If you never were in a fight over a "chickie", what never happened again? As for me, been in five fights in my life, two with my best friend measuring our machismo and three over me moving in on someone else's territory. Really, what other reason is worth fighting?

Rockytop38 writes:

I can't quite understand why he is not suspended at least for one game. It sounds like he has a quick fuse. We have got to have some discipline on this team. You just can't go around assulting someone IMO. Wouldn't help to have a curfew?

iowavol writes:

in response to Dead_Head_Vol:

I don't know, it just might be the way I look at things. But does it sound reasonable that Jacques Smith would sucker punch a dude over a girl? I'm thinking he wants the dude to see it coming the whole time. Now, if this Allen dude is average size and you see Smith working up a haymaker, he could and probably should have tried to run - ergo a hit in the back of the head. Regardless, the last thing anyone should label Jacques Smith is cowardly - it just doesn't fit. Think it through - it's not that hard.

Rockytop38 writes:

Correction: Wouldn't it help to have a curfew?
Sorry about the error.

VolsAllTheWay writes:

How does the victim know he has memory loss?

Hounddog writes:

in response to VOLtage:

The very best post! Hounddog

orangeman1 writes:

in response to Rockytop38:

Because Dooley is not a strict disciplinarian like he was made out to be. Smith should at least be suspended one game or until the other guys stiches are taken out. Obviously this "handling internally" doesnt get the point across to the team.

JWilly writes:

He got "a little emotional"....He knocked a guy down (from behind) and kicked him while he was down. Yep, I would characterize that as "a little emotional". This is his second time in about a year he has gotten "a little emotional". I'd say he better get his emotions under control.

Loud_Proud writes:

in response to SugarBear:

He is still apart of the team, and the vol family, idiot. Never leave your family behind. What makes you think changing the color of his jersey, (how idiotic), would HELP anything? If anything, may create a little resentment and rebellion. Just ask yourself, "What if mommy and daddy would have made me go to school naked everytime i was a bad boy". ...

paradisetaxi writes:

ALISO VIEJO, Calif.- Tyler Bray continued his "out-of-nowhere" journey toward top quarterback prospect with another stellar showing during Wednesday morning's Elite 11 quarterback camp workout in Southern California.

The 6-foot-6, 190-pounder from Kingburg (Calif.) High won the EA Sports Golden Gun Accuracy Challenge for the second straight day, earning the right to wear the golden jersey on Thursday, the final session of the camp.

"The deep ball is starting to pay off for me," Bray said. "I am hitting that. I hit it five total times, so it is starting to go good."

VOL78 writes:

in response to VolsAllTheWay:

How does the victim know he has memory loss?

VERY INTERESTING QUESTION!!!!!

SandySpringsVol writes:

The original report on this incident included the following:

"All parties then walked out on their own accord and without major injuries. There were no further incidents, and several hours later the other student and his mother decided to press charges."

The other student -- a 21-year old -- AND HIS MOTHER.

Need I say more...

paradisetaxi writes:

An announcement at a major football camp later this week could change the college plans of Kingsburg's Tyler Bray. The 6-foot-6, 189-pound Kingsburg High School senior has made a "soft" verbal commitment to San Diego State of the Mountain West Conference. A soft commitment is a non-binding commitment to the school.
Bray got started as a quarterback in third or fourth grade.

"I played flag football in Reedley because I wasn't old enough to play tackle football," he said.
He started playing youth football in fifth grade, and said he always wanted to be a quarterback.

The Brays live right down the street from the Kingsburg High School Athletic Bowl, so Tyler doesn't need anything through which to throw the football in the backyard. "It's about a two-minute walk to get over there," he said.
The Elite 11 camp, which usually showcases 12 quarterbacks, has an impressive list of alumni, including Matt Leinert, Vince Young, Matthew Stafford, and Mark Sanchez, and former counselors Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, Drew Brees and Carson Palmer.
This year, the Elite 11 camp will expand from a four-day closed event, to a cutting edge, multi-platform event that will offer fans an inside look and experimental opportunity through a dedicated Web site (www.Elite11.com), an interactive "QB Competition" gaming component, a series of webisodes, and a one-hour telecast finale on ESPNU.

According to a press release from ESPN RISE, "Bray is a strong-armed pocket passer who draws favorable comparisons to former NFL standout Brew Bledsoe.

"He throws a great deep ball and has outstanding feet for a quarterback his height. He is a small-school, three-sport standout that really has a chance to be something as he begins to focus 100 percent on football in college.

"He was an all-area and league MVP selection last fall as a junior, and impressed everyone at the final EA SPORTS Elite 11 regional in Las Vegas with his strong arm and quick release, and also showed well at the Stanford Nike Camp despite pitching the night before.

"He is the 28th quarterback from California to be selected to the Elite 11 in the event's 11 years."

During the 2008 season, Bray completed 155 of 297 passes for 2,224 yards and 26 touchdowns with 10 interceptions as well as four rushing touchdowns while leading the Vikings to an 11-2 record.

Besides Bray and Scroggins, the only other Elite 11 quarterback from California is Nick Montana of Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village. Nick, the son of former NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, has committed to Washington.

"It is great honor for Tyler, our school and our football program to be selected to the Elite 11," said Kingsburg High head coach Dave Steele.

"He has been working hard and has done extremely well in all the camps he has attended this summer.

"It has been a great summer for him and I am excited for his future in school and football."

paradisetaxi writes:

by Barry Every - 09/21/2009
SpeedDivision I PlayerSizeBlue ChipStrengthDivision I PlayerAgilityDivision I PlayerVelocityBlue ChipOn the Hoof: Perhaps the tallest committed D-I quarterback prospect in the country but very lean at this time. The closest physical comparison would be N.C. State quarterback Mike Glennon.
Needs Improvement: Will need to add some muscle mass and strength while improving his overall foot speed.
Most Impressive: Bray is a very accurate quarterback that has excellent touch and can throw any type pass asked of him. He is also an intelligent player that will make the right reads and not throw into double coverage.
Conclusion: This quarterback may have the most long-term potential of any quarterback in the country. Bray is a tough competitor that sees the whole field and already has enough arm strength to make the tough throws.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

There's a lot of dumb people in the world, maybe Jacques just made one get smart quicker than normal.

I say not enough people smacked in the head or mouth, we need more of it, not just in college but all over.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Did the police officer get punched and suffer memory loss cause he sure screwed up his police report. Wrong bar location, wrong victim's name...

volfan4life73 writes:

glad he did'nt decide to do a slim pickens and work up a number six on the whole place.How do you get into a fight at a bar called new AMSTERDAM, dude,pass the @!#$.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Rockytop38:

It could be because what has been reported is not quite accurate.

8ball writes:

Auburn 66- ala 3

prideofthesouthland writes:

Not surprising! Remember- Smith was not allowed to play in the first round of the high school playoffs last year because of an altercation with a team-mate. Ooltewah lost in the first round. I wonder if this is the last altercation we see from him--I hope so.

AHoffman writes:

Get your broom out coach.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to 8ball:

Auburn 66- ala 3

Don't count on it, guy.

RoadTrip writes:

Why is anybody happy that other UT players were at the bar and pulled him off the guy he sucker punched? It's 2 AM, the night after a loss to an SEC rival, and they are out partying like there's no big deal. This is nothing but phooey. No wonder the product on the field stinks. CDD came accross as a disciplinarian - yeah - about like CPF and Urbie. He was already in the running for the Fulmer Cup after Bar Knoxville and here we go again.

tnaseevol writes:

My concern is why an 18 yr old is in a bar?

abnermc writes:

in response to back2z1:

With a promise to murder his girlfriend?

RCVOLIN10 writes:

History repeats itself, Wasn't it last fall he beat-up a kid in practice? Oh, and he is sorry.

Smokie_is_my_homeboy writes:

I've managed to find myself on Cumberland Ave. plenty of times after midnight. Let me tell you that little to nothing good can come from it. If it's 2am and you still havent managed to get a lady home with you, go home. Theres always tomorrow.

volsoutwest writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Now that was funny, Tweet.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Cowardly or not this was STUPID! All Vol players should know the potential pitfalls of being in places yes like Amsterdam after hours. I don't care what the situation was after the former deal it is STUPID to start a fight engage in a fight or anything else. It looks like an assault charge could be coming unless the victim did ask for it. In any event, if this continues with no suspensions, I lose a lot of respect for Coach Dooley. To let this one go without public knowledge of what internal punishment was meted out is playing with fire. Wake up Smith, you are bigger than this. You may end up a lot more sorry than what you expressed to your team. That just might not be a bad thing.

Jediphysics writes:

I miss the days when players would destroy firetrucks rather than other people (RIP Mahelona!)

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

I'm disappointed by Dooley's handling of this.

I'm a supporter of CDD and I think we need to give CDD a chance. However, I'm puzzled by his response to this.

If Knoxville's finest think Smith is worthy of a warrant how does CDD believe that a suspension is not warranted?

lomas98 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Good point. A lot of people think these football players should be locked in their room and do nothing else. They do what normal college kids do after the play the game. They also go to class and socialize with other kids outside of class and football. He was out late and got in a fight. He didn't resist arrest, apparently wasn't drinking underage, he just used some bad judgement. As a football player they are held to a little different standard but in no way does that mean they can't be out late on a Saturday night. I was a student at UT in 1995 and had plenty of drinks at bars with freshman football players at the time. All of us were under age. None of them got in any trouble and nobody made a big deal of them being out. Maybe it was because the internet wasn't that big, facebook and twitter didn't exist, and camera and cell phones didn't exist on a college campus.

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Let's see...the victim, whose name we're not really sure of, just wants "to move on from it" but also "plans to hire an attorney." Those two things just do not go together. I think mom wants to hire the attorney and the kid wants to move on. (This sounds like someone's dad we know...let's see...hmmm.)

The legal dictionary says "A simple assault is one where there is no intention to do any other injury." It seems like if Jacques were really punching and kicking someone, that he wouldn't have been arrested for just a "simple" assault. Or am I wrong?

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

BTW, kudos to Jacques for taking the initiative to apologize to the team before he was asked to. Hopefully he's learned something.

volcycle writes:

in response to VOLtage:

The Post Of The Year!!!

Volumnus writes:

in response to iowavol:

I thought about it and I agree with Uncle, more than likely the other kid was turning to walk away from a fight surrounded by a bunch of football players and got cold cocked in the back of the head. Pure Chicken Bleep. And our "Coach" up to this point had my vote. No more. This pitiful team needs to be sent a message. Pat Summit just sat 2 players for missing a class. Our men's athletic department is a disaster. We need some controls and some discipline not some quip about Adam and Eve.

When this comes out I am sure he will be found innocent, and the other student guilty of assaulting Mr. Smith's hand with the back of his head and then assaulting both of his feet with his body. IF this is even 50% true then a suspension is not unwarranted. Oh and 90 days in county might be appropriate too.

Reflections writes:

“I think what’s been out is out, and it was an unfortunate incident, it was an isolated incident," Erwin Rommel said when they called him from Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944. “It’s not any more complex than that. Do I have concerns about it? Of course, we ask them to use good judgment and he didn’t use good judgment," the general said of his troops.

CommodoreCapital writes:

SOV-

Same ole Vols

Hoops43 writes:

Smith went ballistic because a guy danced with his girl friend. It takes a really tough guy to coldcock a guy that you outweigh by 75-100 lbs. At least two of the other players had the good sense to pull him off quickly before more serious damage was done.Maybe we should just commend those two for great leadership.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to CrippledCoon:

Coon, it look like you got yourself a daughter who like to dance a lot with good football player.

desfpvol13 writes:

in response to KingFulmer:

Reading comprehension is not your friend. The quote from Bray was clearly from many months ago following a camp he attended while he was still in high school.

AllUTAllTheTime writes:

Ok what I don’t understand is why, after all the problems we have been having down on Cumberland, do we not impose a curfew during the season? I know we want to treat them like adults and trust that they will make the right decisions. Obviously they have shown they are not capable of doing that. Maybe if we had a curfew this would at least cut back on the problems and maybe get their attention. Act like adults and get treated like adults. Act like children and get treated like children. I know everything is not always black and white but we need to do something to get this under control.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to KingFulmer:

Go back and re-read what CDD stated. Or....Put your glasses on before you read it again. Did he not state that it's been happening SINCE Adam and Eve? Now go off in a quiet little corner and dwell your thoughts on that....think a little bit harder on that before you speak....and I think you might get the point that was being made.