Fulmer says Minnesota 'has great potential'

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer has emerged as a possible candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Minnesota, according to several media reports.

“Minnesota has great potential, and with its new facilities it’s a place you could recruit to,’’ Fulmer told the News Sentinel on Tuesday night. “I believe it’s a place where you can compete.’’

Fulmer, who was forced to resign near the end of the Vols’ 5-7 season in 2008, was non-committal when asked if he was interested in the Gophers’ position or if he has had contact with the school.

Former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster was fired more than two weeks ago.

Since then, NBCsports.com has reported that Randy Shannon, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Scott Linehan, Jeff Jagodzinski and Marc Trestman have “popped up” as potential candidates.

On Tuesday, The Sporting News reported Fulmer is the latest name on that list.

Fulmer compiled a 152-52 record at UT during his 17-year tenure as the Vols head coach and led Tennessee to the 1998 national championship.

Fulmer also took the Vols to the SEC championship game five of his last 11 years, the most recent in 2007.

The 60-year-old Fulmer has spent the past two years working for CBS Sports on their SEC coverage.

Fulmer’s analysis included criticism of how former UT coach Lane Kiffin represented Tennessee. He also said he likes what current Vols coach Derek Dooley stands for and supported the hire.

Fulmer played offensive guard at UT from 1968-71, and served as an offensive line coach and offensive coordinator under former Vols coach Johnny Majors from 1980-1992.

Tennessee had 91 players drafted into the NFL during Fulmer’s head coaching tenure, including 17 first-round selections.

The Vols finished ranked in the top 25 in 13 of Fulmer’s 17 seasons, and finished ranked in the top 10 on six occasions.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CarlChilders writes:

Good luck CPF! I mean it sincerely.

tnsportsman writes:

Would be a great hire Minnesota, good luck Coach Fulmer!

azorange writes:

Gopher it, Phil!

Tru138 writes:

If you get the job, have your quarterback bounce his first pass off Al Franken's face.

Colliervol writes:

It has great potential to be the coldest place you've ever been to but that's about it. Ole NonVolnotHammyFan better buy a good coat.

GhostofRobertNeyland writes:

in response to Tru138:

Post of the night!

RespectTradition writes:

Good luck coach! (unless you play us)

Go Vols!

chaos001 writes:

someone call Minnesota's AD and tell him hell no!

bullit writes:

miss ya coach

cdldoc#211897 writes:

STAY HERE COACH. YOU ARE 60 YEARS OLD AND THIS IS YOUR HOME. YOU WILL BE OUR AD.

chrisw2967 writes:

If Fulmer doesnt land this job he will have a hard time landing a job.

The1 writes:

Wasn't Minnesota the setting for the TV series "Coach"? That was a great show. My advice is just one person's opinion so take it for what it's worth: Assuming he still wants to coach, I think CPF has to take the offer if they make one to him. I don't see any other, or at least any better, offers coming. I know it must have hurt for no major programs to show interest during these past two years, but coaching at a place like Minnesota could be very satisfying and rewarding.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Tru138:

And the second, third, fourth....

ReasonableOne writes:

Saw Phil last night at the FCA dinner. He's looking lean and mean and would be a GREAT addition to any schools program, but if he decides to stay around, I vote him for UT AD.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

I've never wanted anything more than for Foolmore to coach again. It's the only thing that would shut him and the Fulmerites up once and for all. Question, does Foolmore continue to get his monthly stipend from Hammy IF Minnesota interviews well and he approves of them?

imw8n4u writes:

I never thought I'd see the day Coach Fulmer wore anything but Tennessee Orange, and I still don't. Initially he wanted to go somewhere he could compete for championships, if he takes this job then clearly he has lowered his standards. Coach, please don't damage your legacy by taking a job that is only going to lower your stellar career winning percentage. Instead, enjoy that grand son and teach him to be a Tennessee Vol.

VolinCalif writes:

He was a great coach for UT. I think that he may have learned he needs to stay on top of his job and to get the correct Assistants. Some he had were great but he didn't know how to update with the changing game. I think he can do a great job if given another chance, Go Phil.

TritanVol writes:

I am going to be very honest here, it would be tough to see Phil coaching for another team. To me, he meant winning and UT football being relevant for better part of 17 years. I could never pull against him. Good Luck Coach!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Gopher Phil Fulmer best of luck old fellow

orangecountyvols writes:

Only upside to this is if he were to go to Minn. he'd take a couple of our trolls with him...we know who they are.
These 2 would be on the Golden Gopher sites telling them how it's done.

ctownvol writes:

"Pardon me Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key"

knox7320 writes:

I hope he gets the job!

ncvol17 writes:

It would be like Johnny going back to Pitt. He would be buried in a bad team & be dumped in 2 years of losing big. Stay w/ CBS Sports.

JWilly writes:

No way, no how.

AncientVolFan writes:

Didn't a prior Minnesota coach have a UT connection?

wallingdad writes:

no way he goes to Minnesota.
I spent a full winter up there one weekend.

TommyJack writes:

in response to AncientVolFan:

Didn't a prior Minnesota coach have a UT connection?

Murray Warmath, Neyland player, coached there.

Hrockytop writes:

Wasn't Brewster's name mentioned as a candidate for the UT job last year? Comical

murrayvol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Let me guess: Spackler - Caddyshack

ctownvol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Let me guess: Spackler - Caddyshack

Yes sir. Good call.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Can't see Fulmer doing well in Minnesota. Fulmer will do better at a place that has a little more tradition.

I envision him ending up at Colorado when they fire their coach at the end of the season.

murrayvol writes:

in response to back2z1:

Wrong again Mary Lou. We want Phil to get that job in the worst way.....and be successful.

And that goes for the pros and the cons.

rudy123 writes:

in response to Hrockytop:

I would be surprised if Phil went to coach there. However; if he did, he would be 65 by the time they
realistically turned the program around. If he surrounds himself with good assistants and can get lucky on a few recruits, then he can have 8-4 seasons.
I don't expect much more out of Minnesota.
If he goes there and wins, then he redeems himself. If he goes there and doesn't win, then everyone will say that that proves that he is washed up.
With the money that he is getting from U.T. and CBS
at the same time, he should not be hurting for money. So if he didn't accept the job, then it would not affect him financially.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Whatever happens with former Head Coach Fulmer, he has my respect and best wishes. I think Minnesota will be a disaster whomever goes there. They will be unable to really compete in the Bigwhateverno.of teams that conference ends up with. So if he does not mind long, cold winters and coolness for many losses to OhSt. PennSt, soon to be Neb. and others, then maybe he goes. I do wish him well and thank him for what he gave for the Vols even if some of the latter years were lean.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to KingFulmer:

stop talking out of both sides of your neck. one minute foolmore is the greatest coach ever. next minute minnesota is too hard to recruit too.
if he is the greatest thing since sliced bread he shouldnt have a problem should he?

CrankE writes:

in response to VolGrad:

And the second, third, fourth....

And wherever there's a fourth, there's a fifth. I'll drink to THAT!!

govolshw writes:

Minnesota doesn't deserve Fulmer, stay home coach and keep wearing the orange.

murrayvol writes:

in response to rudy123:

I don't expect much more out of Minnesota.
With the money that he is getting from U.T. and CBS

Lot of food for thought there rudy.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to back2z1:

actually i would love for foolmore to take the job. only problem is he wont be offered the job. you probably know what is feels like for and ex coach to have a better team than what you know have though. with superrior leading in the east. and the gators struggling with all thier 5 stars and top 1 percent and all.

wolfram writes:

Interview 'em like heck Corch!!!

murrayvol writes:

Wonder how many are aware Minnesota holds 5 AP National Championships. Won 4 from 1934-41 and another in 1960.

Since then....nada. Good luck Phillip.

Hrockytop writes:

Wait does this article also say Randy Shannon? Is getting the axe? Heck who would leave Miami for Minnesota? Especially being he is a Miami alum. If you can't win at Miami you sure as hell can't win at South Canada.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to Tru138:

PLEASE: if you are so polarized or that you cannot talk about sports (or any subject, for that matter) without interjecting politics, at least make it either funny or fresh. That was neither......

Why would Minnesota hire Phil?

volstokke writes:

It would be hard to see Coach Fulmer coaching another team. I hope if he goes there he will have great sucess. I hope Coach Fulmer ends up being our AD.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Fulmer's great! Record proves it. AD's do tend to look for younger Lane Kiffin types (Dooley not included because of respect to his dad and so far is doing a good job). It's not about the job you do anymore as much it is filling up the seats and getting TV money. I think some felt that Fulmer might not do that at UT anymore.
That said I love Dooley!

allvol9 writes:

Good luck Coach. Now Go Vols!

Ralph_Crampton writes:

No way you should even consider another coaching job...you and your family ar secure for your liftime and theirs too. Enjoy life...recruiting again...are you kidding me. Take it easy....enjoy your grandkids..travel. I would buy a condo in Florida...life is too short. take up golf.

wolfram writes:

Will Mrs. Filmer stay at the house in Murvul to get the monthly $125,000 delivery from the Brinks truck?

mercyseat writes:

Would'nt it be weird if Fulmer was hired by Georgia if Mark Rict was to be replaced? 2nd winningest coach in the history of the sec. You think that record would carry enough clout to land him the job? Or, would he even consider it? Yuck!! To me, that would be like kissing your sister or something! ( spit spit gag ).

volzcrushm writes:

can't see that being a good match. Maybe cPF at an acc school that is down or, analyst, or even assist AD.....hmmmm....just don't seem him as a gopher.