Passing game won't change with Bray as starter

Full event details »

Tennessee wide receiver Gerald Jones flashed a bittersweet smile when he was reminded that freshman quarterback Tyler Bray can certainly hold his own when throwing the deep ball.

"I don't know how much I'm excited because they won't throw the ball to me down the field," Jones said. "They'll only throw it to Justin (Hunter) and Denarius (Moore)."

Jones, though, was in the minority of players and coaches who believe the UT offense will all of a sudden morph into a big-fly attack. That's good news for the receiver who's made his biggest impact felt on third downs with short, important catches and bad news for those who assume UT will usher in a new-look attack Saturday (TV: CBS College Sports, 8 p.m.) at Memphis.

Aside from a few tweaks here and there because of Bray's knowledge of the system, UT's offense will look identical with Bray at quarterback as it did with Matt Simms behind center, offensive coordinator Jim Chaney said Wednesday.

Chaney said Bray's ability to hit receivers downfield with accurate throws is "no bigger than Matt's."

Quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw defended Simms' arm strength, too, saying there are far more important areas to direct his focus toward in Bray's first start.

"We're going to game-plan," Hinshaw said. "They've got to make the right reads, right decisions. It's the same thing, whether Tyler's the starter or not.

"Right now, Tyler is going to start it off and we want him to make the right decisions and right throws."

Chaney said the learning curve won't be as sharp for Bray as it maybe would be if he were the coach. Chaney said coach Derek Dooley has mandated that the first- and second-string quarterback receive nearly equal repetitions during practice, something Chaney typically hasn't been accustomed to.

"Coach is a little more for the two getting adequate reps," Chaney said. "So it hasn't been that big of a change."

Snap Decision: Dooley said James Stone, who has been working primarily as the first-team center in practice this week, will be a "game-time decision."

Stone, who is being groomed as UT's center for the future, was held out of the South Carolina game because Dooley was apprehensive about Stone's chemistry with the quarterbacks.

"Let's see how everything goes," Dooley said. "If I see three fumbled snaps in warm-ups, I might say, 'Boys, we're going to wait one more week.' "

Injury Roundup: Dooley said he doesn't expect cornerback Marsalis Teague (turf toe) to play Saturday.

"I'm not sure we're going to get anything out of Teague this week," Dooley said. "I'm hoping he'll be ready next week, but we're still trying to get something out of him."

Daniel Lincoln (quadriceps) did not kick in practice Wednesday and will likely miss his fifth consecutive game.

Dooley said he hopes he can work offensive guard JerQuari Schofield (foot) into the game.

"He was still in his early stages of development, and when he missed that month, he didn't retain and couldn't pick it back up the way a veteran could," Dooley said. "It's almost like starting all over, but he's doing good."

Defensive end Chris Walker sported a brace on his right hand Wednesday, but said it wouldn't prevent him from playing. Walker, a Memphis native, also has battled nagging back and knee injuries this season.

"It's good. It just happens," Walker said. "Playing football, things get caught when they're not supposed to, so it's just kind of banged up a little bit."

Cornerback Naz Oliver (knee), who has yet to play this season but has seen increased participation in practice this week, will not be available Saturday, Dooley said.

Tragedy Hits Home: The passing of Mississippi State defensive end Nick Bell on Tuesday prompted Dooley to talk to his players about the fragility of life.

"It's tough on these young kids because they're having to deal with some issues that you hope you don't have to deal with them until later in life," Dooley said on Wednesday's SEC teleconference. "Also, it's a great reminder of perspective and how fortunate we are to be here."

UT freshman linebacker Raiques Crump was a friend of Bell's in high school. Crump, a year younger than Bell, was at Minor High outside of Birmingham, Ala., while Bell played at nearby Jess Lanier High.

Bell's funeral is set for Saturday afternoon in Birmingham.

Dooley said Crump would still travel with the team for the Memphis game.

Andrew Gribble covers Tennessee football and recruiting. He may be reached at 865-342-6327. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/gribble/

ACWLY writes:

What a worthless article!

RoadTrip writes:

Oh come on - of course they will call the game differently to take advantage of the strengths of the starter and mitigate his weaknesses. Good to hear about giving Stone a try at center. We need to get the best 5 on the field playing together the rest of the season.

Lights out Memphis High. Go Vols!

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to ACWLY:

What a worthless article!

....only to be outdone by an even more worthless comment....

OrangePride writes:

Which of these QB's is under center is of less concern to me than how that OL is coming along. I expect Simms to get into this game and get a decent number of snaps as well. As for the part about his accuracy and arm strength being as good, that has not been the issue has it. It's been the quickness of release and seeing the field where most of us have seen the most difference. I still believe that Simms is probably the better game manager, but we will see how it goes Saturday. GO VOLS!

TommyJack writes:

Good piece, Gribble.

rich182x writes:

Two muffins in an oven. One muffins says to the other.. "man, its really hot in here..." When the other muffins turns and says
"HOLY poop, A TALKING MUFFIN!"

Now its not so much a worthless page. haha

cloudodust writes:

in response to ACWLY:

What a worthless article!

Behold : An example of 'Not constructive critisism' from a fan

TommyJack writes:

Maybe KNS should ran a piece allowing their writers to rate posters.

tmartin writes:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

allvols4life writes:

Does anyone else find it at all concerning how much discontentment is being displayed in the media by coaches and players? I know we are 2-6 and no one can be happy about that. We have a QB complaining about being taken out of the game to the media. We have a WR saying that they wont throw the ball down field to him to the media. We have an asst. coach saying that he would not be giving both QBs equal reps if it were his decision to the media. I thought this kind of stuff was handled in house and not out in the open air of the media. Maybe I am wrong, but it is beginning to bug me. Hope this is not the start of a chemistry issue with this team and staff. Some of these guys will be around for another 2-3 years. We need great chemistry from the players and coaches if we are to get back on track.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Maybe KNS should ran a piece allowing their writers to rate posters.

That would be brutal.

Would that include plants and trolls also?

Ironcity writes:

in response to allvols4life:

Your reading way to much into the words.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to tmartin:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

Totally agree. I've never seen a kicker injured so much in all my life. Ri-donk-u-lus!

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to allvols4life:

my take is that Dooley only kept Chaney and the other coach from LK out of necessity to tie them over until he can put his own choice of coaches in their place.....Jones needs a little cheese with his whine and make the most of what career he has left at UT....CDD is trying to avoid exposing the damage control mode he is in and at the same time prepare for next year...you're either with him or against him and I think he personally doesn't give a s*** either way because it's his team and he is ultimately going to be the one to have the last word.... and that's the truth...........

allvols4life writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Your reading way to much into the words.

I hope you are right. Maybe I am reading between the lines too much, but still don't like hearing this stuff in the media.

lomas98 writes:

in response to allvols4life:

If you have heard Gerald Jones ever give an interview, you would realize his comments were sarcastic and he was joking.

DavidB writes:

in response to allvols4life:

Great post, right on target. The pros that complain typically get reprimanded for those types of comments.

ACWLY writes:

in response to andy112382#209793:

....only to be outdone by an even more worthless comment....

Yea, YOURS!

murrayvol writes:

in response to ACWLY:

What a worthless article!

What a worthless post.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Maybe KNS should ran a piece allowing their writers to rate posters.

Now that's an idea.

Could be broken down into multiple categories. Possibilities are endless.

Your move Jack.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to tmartin:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

Lincoln when healthy went 7 of 7 and did his job;At this point it doesn't matter..Palardy is not the savior we thought he would be..At the least his kickoffs should at least reach the goal line..

murrayvol writes:

in response to naffy:

Ever had a groin injury naffy? Do you even have a groin?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Good Post;Which QB starts at this point doesn't matter; Both have their strong points..A 2 QB system isn't hurting us and Simms deserves equal time..Our success does rest on the OLine.They need to give Poole a crease and the FB needs to execute better..Pooles pass blocking has been pretty bad and he's responsible for some of those 30+ sacks

smoky50 writes:

in response to tmartin:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

I AGREE! Lincoln is a walking pulled muscle. He has as much time on the injured list as he does kicking field goals.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

"looks identical"...ahhh that's not that good

allvols4life writes:

in response to lomas98:

He may very well be sarcastic and joking in the interview, however, I did not hear the interview and only can take from the article what I read. Hard to pick out sarcasm in a written article, most of the time. Again, I hope you are right.

vols2#227315 writes:

If Bray is the starter for memphis why not treat him the same way as Simms; Simms should be practing with the third string players not first string.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to tmartin:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

And reshirt Oliver, unless he is already been a redshirt. Why lose a season for a few plays. My condolence's to the family who lost their son at Miss State. Really hits hard when one of these young men suffer this fate, regardless of whom they are or where they are playing. Anyone know the details behind this, practicing, not practicing, on/off the field, etc. My heart goes out to the Miss St Football Family!!

mytrifecta writes:

From what I've seen, Bray is pulling the trigger much quicker than Simms. Making decisions in mili-seconds and releasing the ball is the difference in 6 sacks and 3 sacks a game. I hope this is the start of the next great UT QB.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to mytrifecta:

That's my take, too. I see no hesitation at all from Bray. He sees and he guns it.

MidTennVol writes:

All these comments about Lincoln are interesting. Don't know much about that kind of injury but the guy has pretty much lost the job ... for the next four games. Smells like he might be mailing it in and just getting ready to graduate.

And what about Cody Pope? Is he even still on the team? Where the heck is he? He's a junior with another year to play.

Seems like years ago when Dooley mocked him publicly for having the "longest stinger injury in the history of college football."

volfaninutah writes:

in response to tmartin:

Lincoln needs to turn his scholarship back in.

I believe Lincoln is 5 for 5 on field goals this year. He wants to keep that percentage intact. He'll go in the record books with a perfect season. So he won't be playing again this year.

shorttail writes:

in response to OrangePride:

the off. line has been the problem all year

tn_rockytop writes:

in response to allvols4life:

good point dont under stand the jones comment.Crazy

uT_grad_08 writes:

in response to naffy:

I made this profile just to reply to your dumb azz.. Ryan Karl played with a broken back his senior year because he loved the game and was the only guy on the field that could line the team up right.. So what did you do in college??

monsterman writes:

He gave both reps because he knew Bray was gonna be the guy. We are 2-6 and prob can not even make a music city bowl appearance. Simms has one more year at best and has not looked to me like an SEC caliber QB. Let the kid have his shot. Jones sounds a little "mossy" with that stuff about just get me the ball. I hope that is not something we become accustomed to hearing around here every time we pick up a paper of watch sports news.

kyletrktr writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

hes a freshy, give him time.

kyletrktr writes: