5 big things for Vols vs. Memphis

Game preview: UT vs. Memphis

Full event details »

1. All Shook Up: Derek Dooley is making the big switch, giving freshman Tyler Bray his first start at quarterback ahead of Matt Simms. Bray might be taking snaps from a new starter at center, James Stone.

2. Return To Sender: The Vols hope Janzen Jackson can inject life into the punt-return game. Making a clean catch would be a good start, but Jackson, arguably UT's best athlete, is capable of more than that. The Vols are 108th in the nation, averaging only 4.7 yards on just 10 returns.

3. Don't Be Cruel: The Vols haven't won since Sept. 25 but they're 20-point favorites against a bad Memphis team. Will Dooley have the option at some point in the second half to call off the dogs? If so, it'll be the first opportunity since a 50-0 win over another West Tennessee school in the season-opener.

4. Are You Lonesome Tonight: There should be leg room in the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium stands. Memphis has been drawing fewer than 20,000 fans a game so orange should be the dominant color theme. When UT visited Memphis in 2006, the crowd was 61,783, but the Vols were No. 15 in the polls and it was a gorgeous afternoon. How many will brave the chill and late kickoff for a 2-6 team?

5. Kentucky Rain: We'll see about that on Nov. 27, but there's no Memphis rain predicted tonight. The only wet-dry debate involves the pregame meal, so we're talking ribs. You can go for the wet (Corky's, Blues City) or choose the dry rub (Rendezvous). It's a win-win deal.

- Mike Strange

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

CroKev writes:

Having grown up in Memphis, I just cannot see what allure, if any, any athlete coming out of that city could find in going to Memphis High. UT should dominate on both the football and basketball fronts when it comes to recruiting.

brauhuff#295403 (Inactive) writes:

I Love ELVIS and I love Kentucky Rain

foosballer writes:

More like "2 Big Things"...man, did this article ever trail off after that!

utfpmd writes:

Rendezvous dry ribs, definitely. Sigh.

VolBlitz writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

Dude, just say no to crack.

rshoptaw writes:

If you want good bbq, not just ribs, you have to go to Central BBQ or The BBQ Shop.

orangecountyvols writes:

Key to this game is not taking somebody like Memphis lightly. They ( Memphis ) have nothing to lose.
However, what is going to prove huge is who we've played and who they've played.
We may be 2-6 against people like Oregon, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina. Still people whine.

Next look at Memphis' 1-7 opponents. East Carolina, Middle Tennessee, UTEP, Tulsa, Louisville, Southern Miss, Marshall, UAB, and Central Florida. I think that disparity in opponents will show itself on the field Saturday night.

So, if we get through this game, and we should........
the key to the rest of the season will be Ole Miss.
If somehow Tennessee can prevail in the next 2 games,
take care of business with Vandy, then there will be an added emphasis on playing the typical Kentucky game.......where no matter how we play, or how Kentucky will play, the Vols usually find a way to win. The pressure in that one will be all on Kentucky with the streak etc.

Repeat, Ole Miss is the key to the last 4 games.

txsvol#372416 writes:

Charlie Vargas' Rendezvous was definitely the place to go when I lived in Memphis, but then, the Public Eye opened (probably a bad pun), and (if memory serves) hired the rib cook away from Charlie. Corky's opened out east after I had left, so I usually get Corky's along Interstate 24 between BNA and CHA. I'd probably go with the Rendezvous just for old times' sake, but the team couldn't go wrong either way. BTW, whatever happened to the Public Eye? I heard that it is closed (tarsorraphy or enucleation?) Go Vols! Beat Tiger High! SAVol

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

I was going to cast my vote for the Rendezvous too!

jobrando#216494 writes:

This win should give Tyler a big boost in confidence. Poole will wake up in this one. Vols 48 Memphis 3

Punched_By_Lady_Luck writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

I honestly don't see it being even THAT close. UTM is a better football team than Memphis, so I'm thinking this will look like a basketball score on one side and a hockey score on the other.

OrangePride writes:

Oh brother, now some of those were really reaching. But here are just a few things that I think are keys to the game.........ONE.....just avoid turnovers. If we protect the football, our offense should be more than enough to control the clock and the game. TWO.....Don't get impatient. It might take a series or two for Bray to get in sync, so don't start slinging the ball around or running plays that have too much risk...I expect the ground game and OL to dominate the play. THREE.....use special teams to control the field position. Memphis has like a half yard on average returns, so just stay in your lanes and TACKLE all day. With a short field or two we will get points. NUFF SAID....GO VOLS!!

VOLliven2it writes:

Did I miss the memo about a late kickoff? I thought they were starting early. I have a wedding to officiate in the evening. SMACK!

VOLliven2it writes:

Whoooops I was thinking about Ole Miss on the early kickoff. I'll be at that one and just have to cut my stay at the reception short tomorrow evening. GO BIG ORANGE!

OrangePride writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

So, if we get through this game, and we should........
the key to the rest of the season will be Ole Miss.
If somehow Tennessee can prevail in the next 2 games,

Repeat, Ole Miss is the key to the last 4 games.

Absolutely correct. Ole Miss is the key to either a decent season or a real sorry year. Tennessee needs to make the best of this weak Memphis team and build some confidence going into the Ole Miss matchup. But IF, the VOLS can win both those games, they will be plenty motivated and in position to run the table. GO VOLS!

shotgun writes:

Is it going to be televised?

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

In case Mike Strange is not familiar with it, Corky's has a TREMENDOUS dry rib meal!!! I prefer it over the Rendezvous!

BeRealistic writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Good comment Coach, 3 good keys & I hope CDD has covered those & more. IMO We should win 3, 4 would be a hell of a boost!!!!!

Groundedvol writes:

CBS College Sports Channel. I think Comcast just picked it up.Channel 152 on Dish.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

Dude! I lived in Memphis once upon a time and loved The Public Eye as well. I just did a Google to refresh my memory, and it closed in 2000.

Damn shame because I always thought it was better than the Rendezvous -- at least way back in the early '80s.

Hounddog writes:

AS a middle age lifelong Memphian I always notice it's the "out-of-towners" that like the Rendevous, which is okay. Of the locals I know that actually eat retail BBQ... Neely's, BBQ Shop, Central, Germantown Commissary all beat Rendevous. Downtown? Blues City Cafe, or, I have heard the Marriott Downtown has great ribs.

I'll be at the game with "p----cat" tickets. I have a brand new UT Sweat shirt for the occasion.

UT wins this one especially in the second half this time around. Hounddog

TommyJack writes:

Mike Strange. Stop it.

Hounddog writes:

Listen to this The KNS would not let me post the word P----cat spelled out! That is a little over the top, don't you think? Hounddog

bigorangeguru writes:

I live in Memphis. I grew up in Memphis. I went to college in Knoxville. I cook ribs regularly; I know bbq ribs. The Bar B Que Shop has the best ribs in Memphis.

Hounddog writes:

in response to bigorangeguru:

Since 1927 or something like that! Hounddog

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

500 dollars on the Vols winning by at least 2 TDs.

Hounddog writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

500 dollars on the Vols winning by at least 2 TDs.

I'll be glad to hold that thousand for you guys until after the game. Hounddog.

ncvol17 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

now that is just too funny...

ncvol17 writes:

anybody remember BOZO's BBQ outside Memphis, or am I just too old..

volsoutwest writes:

in response to Groundedvol:

channel 613 on DirecTV.

RespectTradition writes:

in response to utfpmd:

Rendezvous dry ribs, definitely. Sigh.

If you've never tried Neelys Interstate, I highly recommend it. The only ribs anywhere near as good are at Dreamland in Bubbaland.

Go Vols!

txsvol#372416 writes:

All the BBQ talk resulted in my stopping at Rudy's for a half slab of baby backs when I finished work earlier tonight. It was a really disappointing experience, even though they were pork. Of course, they've removed the old slogan from the quart of BBQ sauce, too: "Use before or after sex, not recommended during." Does anybody have a recipe for barbecuing Tiger meat? Go Vols! SAVol

Hounddog writes:

in response to naffy:

Naffy, everyone knows Bozo moved out of "p----cat" town and is now the head basketball coach at Kentucky. Still trying to get over these prudes at this website and will not allow me to spell p----cat. Hounddog.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to MerlOT_GoVols:

I think we will be up by 35 by half-time. There is too much hype over how bad we are. The truth is that we are not as bad as 2 - 6 would suggest. Look, let's just assume that are we legitimately the 35th best team in the country and the polls were 100% accurate and all games went to the favored team. Well, Oregon is #1 so that would be a loss. Alabama is #6 so that is a loss. LSU is #10 so that is a loss. South Carolina is #19 so that is a loss. So, then you have Florida and Georgia. You could hardly say those were upset losses.

Now, if we lose more than 1 more game, you can say we are that bad. But, we have plenty to play for and we are the best 6 loss team in the country. Okay, that didn't sound so good.

TommyJack writes:

in response to naffy:

Naffy wants you to slip him some of that pork.

PMC2726 writes:

in response to CroKev:

You must have moved out of Memphis a long time ago, then. With regard to football, you are right. No reason any kid would want to stay. With regard to basketball, why WOULDN'T a kid want to stay in Memphis? Memphis has some of the best talent in the country year in and year out. Memphis shares a world-class facility with an NBA team. Memphis runs one of the sexiest offenses in the country. There's a pretty good bet that Pastner will be at Memphis longer than PB is at UT. Where's the downside of a kid staying in Memphis to play?

SpiralBound writes:

Central BBQ (just west of Liberty Bowl Stadium) BEST RIBS IN MEMPHIS. Charlie Vergos passed and Rendezvous hasn't been the same since.

Cheeseburgers, Alex's Tavern (Jackson Avenue at Lyndale) pack your gun, but worth the scare.

Milkshakes, Wyles' Smith Drugstore (1595 Union).

GOPROKID (Inactive) writes:

FIVE KEYS:
1)NO INTERCEPTIONS
2)ATLEAST 100 YDS RUSHING
3)NO PRE-SNAP PENALTIES
4)CONVERT ON THIRD DOWN
5)FINISH THE GAME, AND WIN.

IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT. IT'S JUST MEMPHIS.

born2ride writes:

UT wins by 50 points. Even Dooley can't blow this one against Memphis.

fpcoach writes:

I just found the cbssports channel 720 on comcast in nashville.
Grew up in Jackson and Bozo's was a must stop going to memphis, before I40. If you want the best whole hog bbq, jump over to lexington and stop at scotts on west end of town. About 15 miles off i40 but well worth it. I always stop and bring back to nashville.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to CroKev:

Don't agree about basketball. I lived in Memphis for 5 years so I have some insight. First, Memphis has a better hoops tradition, plain and simple. More NCAA's, several Final Fours, a couple of championship games. We have none of that. UT is (or sadly, was) a football school and always will be. Second, Knoxville is over 400 miles away. A good number of Memphis' basketball players come out of inner city schools, meaning mostly from homes without financial means. Those kids likely haven't been away from home very much and their parents don't have the means to come and see them play at that distance. It's also harder financially when you're away from home and these kids' families just don't have much money. Third, at 400miles, other SEC schools, such as LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State are all closer, and all with arguably as good or better basketball credentials than UT. And the icing on the cake? Bruce Pearl and company's little foray into NCAA poop, something every coach they recruit against will certainly use against us. Football, we should clean up. Basketball, I just don't see it. Too many miles, not enough tradition, NCAA trouble.... Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

So, if we get through this game, and we should........
the key to the rest of the season will be Ole Miss.
If somehow Tennessee can prevail in the next 2 games,

Repeat, Ole Miss is the key to the last 4 games.

Looking at the schedule before the season started, I thought the same thing. Beat Ole Miss, we should make 6-6. If we knew to start the season that we would not beat Ole Miss, a bowl game was pretty much out of the question. But for pity's sake, let's not overlook Memphis and go down a week early to that horrible team.

C'mon - even the most casual football observer understands that despite a record of 2-6, not a single one of those losses was unexpected and except for LSU, the scores were predictable too. In fact, I would submit that Dooley and company are catching a lot more heat due to almost beating LSU than they would have had we lost that game by 20 points! Ironic isn't it? We play a great game on the road, lose at the end to a team with more talent in two classes than we have in all four, and Dooley is an idiot, our team is hopeless, the season is lost, and we should just cancel the entire program and save our "fans" any future embarrassment. Hogwash, all of it! I'm still a fan, pulling for Dooley and the team, and I still think they could win out and play in a bowl. And as far as I can tell, one more good recruiting class and the future looks pretty good. Go Vols!!!

atlanta_Vol writes:

Does anyone know where I can watch this game on the internet tonight? its not going to be on espn3 and i dont have cbs college sports. any suggestions would be appreciated

tnaseevol writes:

in knoxville on comcast channel 744

mercyseat writes:

in response to atlanta_Vol:

Rajangan.net watch live stream online

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to fpcoach:

I just found the cbssports channel 720 on comcast in nashville.

You got that right. Bozo's is good, but Scott's Pigpen is the best BBQ in the world. Ask for the pulled loin off the backbone.

shipperman#280095 writes:

This game will not judge Brey's success. I hope we win out, but I do not see it happening. This young team will get overconfident after a big win tonight, and Ole Miss will do us in. I see no way we keep the streak alive with Kentucky. They can score many points and usually do so. If we have to outscore them, the streak is over