Game preview: UT vs. Memphis
Tennessee Stat Book
1. All Shook Up: Derek Dooley is making the big switch, giving freshman Tyler Bray his first start at quarterback ahead of Matt Simms. Bray might be taking snaps from a new starter at center, James Stone.
2. Return To Sender: The Vols hope Janzen Jackson can inject life into the punt-return game. Making a clean catch would be a good start, but Jackson, arguably UT's best athlete, is capable of more than that. The Vols are 108th in the nation, averaging only 4.7 yards on just 10 returns.
3. Don't Be Cruel: The Vols haven't won since Sept. 25 but they're 20-point favorites against a bad Memphis team. Will Dooley have the option at some point in the second half to call off the dogs? If so, it'll be the first opportunity since a 50-0 win over another West Tennessee school in the season-opener.
4. Are You Lonesome Tonight: There should be leg room in the Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium stands. Memphis has been drawing fewer than 20,000 fans a game so orange should be the dominant color theme. When UT visited Memphis in 2006, the crowd was 61,783, but the Vols were No. 15 in the polls and it was a gorgeous afternoon. How many will brave the chill and late kickoff for a 2-6 team?
5. Kentucky Rain: We'll see about that on Nov. 27, but there's no Memphis rain predicted tonight. The only wet-dry debate involves the pregame meal, so we're talking ribs. You can go for the wet (Corky's, Blues City) or choose the dry rub (Rendezvous). It's a win-win deal.
- Mike Strange