Dooley says Palardy took 'step back' vs. Memphis

There was perhaps no one on Tennessee's sideline Saturday night who had a worse five-minute stretch than freshman kicker Michael Palardy.

In hindsight, coach Derek Dooley said the full 60 minutes, aside from the three short field goals Palardy nailed, was largely forgettable.

"He didn't play well last night," Dooley said on his Sunday teleconference. "He took a little step back."

Dooley wasn't too bothered with Palardy's botched extra point, which followed UT's first touchdown of the night and prevented the Vols from initially evening up the score with Memphis in a 50-14 victory. He was more concerned with the placement and depth of Palardy's kickoffs, the most troubling being the one he sent out of bounds for a costly illegal procedure penalty directly after the missed extra point.

On the surface, it wasn't a bad night, as Memphis' average field position following one of Palardy's 10 kickoffs was at its own 27-yard line. Palardy, though, averaged just 56.7 yards per kick, nearly 6 yards less than Memphis' Paulo Henriques on his three.

"I think his kickoffs will improve as he gets older," Dooley said. "It's 10 yards back from what he does in high school. It takes a lot of physical strength, it takes a lot of timing and hitting that sweet spot consistently."

Saturday was certainly a regression, but it didn't do much to affect UT's lofty national ranking in kickoff return defense. The Vols are first in the SEC and eighth in the nation, allowing 18.36 yards per return.

"It's not just banging it deep, we're trying to place it," Dooley said. "It's a little bit like you got your driver out and you got a real tight fairway. We need it long and we need it on the mark."

Palardy wasn't expecting this much work so soon. He's been UT's full-time field-goal kicker and kickoff man since the beginning of October when senior Daniel Lincoln went down with a nagging quadriceps injury.

Palardy is 5-for-7 on field goals, with his two misses coming from 45 yards and beyond.

"He's a talented young kicker," Dooley said. "He'll learn and grow."

Injury Roundup: Freshman right guard Zach Fulton (ankle) is "doubtful" for Saturday's game (TV: WVLT, noon) against Ole Miss, Dooley said.

"We'll know more each day," Dooley said. "With these ankles you never know.

"It's not a serious ankle injury, but it's an ankle injury."

Fulton, who was highlighted by Dooley for his strong play against Alabama, had started the previous three games at right guard. When Fulton went out in the first half Saturday, senior Jarrod Shaw moved from left guard to right guard, while redshirt freshman JerQuari Schofield replaced Shaw.

Tight end Luke Stocker (concussion) is "day to day," Dooley said.

No News: Dooley did not have an update on cornerback Art Evans, who was suspended indefinitely Friday for a violation of team rules.

"I haven't seen Art yet," Dooley said.

A source in the UT football program said the suspension is tied to a vehicle purchased by Evans in the spring that he hasn't been making payments on.

According to sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, UT doesn't believe the situation threatens Evans' eligibility and if payments are made on the car he would be allowed to return to the team.

Couch Decision Coming Soon: Junior-college defensive tackle Maurice Couch (Garden City, Kan.) tweeted Sunday that he knows where he will commit to play football for the 2011 season, but is "waiting to get info about a personal matter" before he announces his decision.

Couch, a four-star according to Rivals.com, briefly committed to the Vols in October before changing his mind. He is thought to be deciding between Tennessee and South Carolina.

Couch is expected to announce his decision Dec. 1, but tweeted Sunday that "there may be a chance" he commits earlier.

Odds and Ends: UT's 9-for-15 effort on third downs Saturday marked its best effort of the season and continued an upward trend for the Vols, who were awful on third downs in September. UT converted just 19 percent of its third-down conversions in the first four games of the season. Since then, the Vols have converted nearly half (34-for-72).

n Senior Tyler Wolf's four tackles on special teams vaulted him into the team lead with eight on the season.

n Tauren Poole, after rushing for 101 yards on 16 carries, is tied for the SEC lead with Auburn quarterback Cam Newton with five 100-yard rushing performances this season.

n Wide receiver Denarius Moore, who hauled in six catches for 103 yards, became the first UT receiver to notch back-to-back 100-yard receiving games since Lucas Taylor did at the beginning of the 2007 season.

Andrew Gribble covers Tennessee football and recruiting. He may be reached at 865-342-6327. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/gribble/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

aj_vol#248433 writes:

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to aj_vol#248433:

grader

FWBVol writes:

I have my own theory about Palardy and his problems kicking Saturday night. The kid is from south Florida and I doubt if he has ever played in weather that cold before. The winds at Liberty Bowl Stadium can be a little tricky too.

I was worried that Bray might have trouble with the cold too since he's from Southern California. And I wonder if perhaps a couple of his bad throws might have because he's not used to throwing a slick ball.

I think Bray did an exceptional job and that Palardy will learn from his experience in Memphis. If we are lucky and can win out Palardy might get another chance to kick in Liberty Bowl Stadium in the Liberty Bowl.

I never thought I'd say it, but this year the Liberty Bowl would seem sweet. GBO!!!

pickinhick writes:

Fifth!

Does not feel as good as I expected.

JohnnyU writes:

I was at the game Sat. night and I was frustrated with the kickoffs, as I have been all year, and for several years. Dooley demands excellence from his players, regardless of their situation, and sometimes he seems a little unyielding, or hypercritical. I think this is a good thing, if he is instilling an atmosphere where players are held accountable for their level of play, with no excuses for not measuring up. It'll be interesting if he talks about Rajion Neal. I thought Tim Priest's comments about him during the broadcast were interesting.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Palardy will be fine.

We have other, more urgent, fish to fry.

On Ole Mess-

Masoli's concussion could be pivotal, but I expect he'll play Sat.

madisonvillevol writes:

in response to FWBVol:

maybe we can go on over to mamby pamby land and get these guys some self confidence about playing in the cold....good grief, charlie brown.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

the posters that thought Palardy was the second coming also predicted 8-4 and 9-3 this year because "all we needed last yr. was a kicker". They haven't been posting much this year. SEC ball is a whole lot different from high school, isn't it.

Ironcity writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Bray is from Northern California. he has played in cold weather. As for Palardy, I think to many posters expect kids to come right in from high school and just dominate. We as a group need to gt our expectations in line and understand when freshman do come in and dominate, its the exception not the rule.

allvols4life writes:

in response to Ironcity:

You, my friend, are exactly right. The transition from high school to college football is usually one that takes at least a year to adjust to. Therefore, I agree that freshmen that can dominate or make great immediate impacts are exceptions to the rule.

cooper65#432178 writes:

I don't know if publically calling Palardy out at this point is beneficial. It seems to me, he has pulled a lot of his kicks to the right, even made extra points. As the game progressed he corrected and started kicking it down the middle. Kickoff depth will improve with added strength. Next year will be the time to call him out. In the meantime, let the coaches work with him, he has a good stroke and will be an excellent kicker.

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

We did that for 2 yrs, it didn't work.

As for you folks slamming Palardy, get a life. A MAJOR REASON our kick coverage is 8th nationally is Palardy. We have the same guys covering kicks with Palardy as we did with Cunningham. The results are night and day. He is 5-7 with misses of 51 and 45 yds against Bama and LSU. Both of those kicks he shouldn't have had to attempt but HORRIFIC play calling left us no choice both times, but Dooley wouldn't wanna go there. If you are gonna dog ANYONE out, it should be the Senior "wanna be" Navy Seal who continues to sit on the sideline, Lincoln. Palardy was just gonna be our kick off man until Lincoln comes up lame going into LSU week. So if ANYTHING, Palardy has somewhat been thrown into the fire, IMO. He will gain strength and distance on his kick in time, just give him time.

And if Tyler Bray has a 1TD 3INT game, I hope you guys drill him JUST AS HARD AS YOU DO Palardy. I don't wanna hear anyone taking up for him, none of this "he's a frosh" talk. If you are gonna ride Palardy, ride everyone.

dwa7#337691 writes:

early predict:

Vols 27
Ole Mistate 20

in response to cooper65#432178:

Dooley seems to like calling out his players. That's a major no-no IMO. If anything, he needs to call out Lincoln.

UTATO93 writes:

in response to madisonvillevol:

What are you some kind of Jackwagon?

mloaks#222092 writes:

RickJames writes:

...We did that for 2 yrs, it didn't work.
And if Tyler Bray has a 1TD 3INT game, I hope you guys drill him JUST AS HARD AS YOU DO Palardy.... If you are gonna ride Palardy, ride everyone.

great takes. Dooley better not screw this kid up, he will be his meal ticket!

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

If you know so damn much, how come you don't put a ? after a question? A good kicker WAS the difference in 2-3 ballgames last yr. If you can't see that then you are BLIND. But that was last yr, and that team was FAR better than this yrs.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

"He's a talented young kicker," Dooley said. "He'll learn and grow."

Which part of that is "calling out his players?"

in response to UTATO93:

What are you some kind of Jackwagon?

More like a JackA##. JMHO.

in response to KCHS63:

"He's a talented young kicker," Dooley said. "He'll learn and grow."

Which part of that is "calling out his players?"

The 3 paragraphs before that. Did you not read them?

bryan14 writes:

Sorry folks but they should never have signed the young man. If you watched him his senior year he didn't kick the ball past the goal line 90+% of the time. I know that he was ranked #1 in the USA but you don't recruit & sign kids based on a list but on what they can do in game time situations. The kickers from Montgomery Bell Academy & Father Ryan were much better at kickoffs & long field goals than Palardy. Those two young men kicked the ball past the uprights over 90+% of the time.

in response to bryan14:

That's just not true. I'm gonna take it one step further and say that's a BOLD FACE LIE!!! When St. Thomas Aquinas played Byrnes HS on NATIONAL TV, he was booming them into the stands. Seems kinda weird that a kid can't kick past the goal line then suddenly starts booming them into the stands. He also punted one that game from the back of the endzone to the 30 on the other end. Two things to keep in mind, 1) he kicked from 10 yds closer in HS, 2) THE BALL IS BIGGER IN COLLEGE.

So if I may ask, where did the kickers from MBA and Father Ryan go? What SEC/D1 school did they go to. EVERY yr Maryville has a kicker that gets a touchback 100% of the time. Yet HARDLY ANY of them go D-1. As for Palardy and his ability, perhaps he's not what we thought he would be at this point. But your comments about his ability in HS just are not FACTUAL. Sorry, but they are not.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

I just find it HILARIOUS that the rest of our TRUE FRESHMAN get a pass for being freshman. If Bray messes up, he's a freshman. If Stone false starts on the 3 yd line and DESTROYS a TD drive against UT Martin, he's a freshman. The missed blocks by Zach Fulton and Juwan James, ah hell, they are just freshman. If DaRick Rogers can't line up without an illegal procedure, or understand the playbook, he's just a freshman. If Jaquez Smith whoops the sh#t outta some dude on the strip, ah he's just a freshman. Palardy goes 5-7 with a missed XP, a kick outta bounds, and NO TOUCHBACKS: pack this boys sh#t and send him back to Fla. He's VASTLY OVER RATED!!!!

Is this what this fanbase has become? Funny how several chicken littles on here will crucify a freshman player for making correctable mistakes. Yet will crucify ANYONE who questions the staff for correctable mistakes.

TommyJack writes:

Palardy will be a great kicker for the Vols. Period.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Palardy will be fine. Even he admitted he didn't think he would be kicking as much as he has this season. At least he's out there. It's been so long since Lincoln saw action, the rest of his hair has probably grown in around his mohawk.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

On top of that, how have the kickoffs went for Lincoln? HMMMMMMM..... I can guarantee that the other team would avg. starting at the 40yd line.

Volchief writes:

in response to cooper65#432178:

I know we're not splitting hairs here, but Palardy is left footed. So if he is "pulling" the ball it would be to the left, not right. Sorry, I'm a little OCD sometimes:)

in response to Volchief:

Sorry dude, but a lefty "pulls" the ball to the right. That goes for kicking, baseball, golf, etc.

Colliervol writes:

I think Palardy will be OK. He's like the rest of the freshmen. Just needs a little seasoning. I do wonder about all the stuff I heard about him putting the ball in the end zone 90% of the time in high school. Most of his kicks are coming down at the 10 to 15 yardline although they are nice and high which allows good coverage. Maybe that's by design?

One question: I wonder how many BCS conference teams started 5 true freshmen on their offense (with two more freshmen WR's that got in very early) this past Saturday? That in itself is pretty amazing

in response to CantStandSaban:

Considering that you mention at least two different sports and your time frame covers at least 30 years, you have not disproven the point that true difference-making freshmen are RARE, not that they are nonexistent. Not trying to "shoot" you, just pointing out that your exceptions prove the rule.

mercyseat writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Dooley said at the beginning of spring practice that if a player messes up that they would be held accountable. What better way other than embarrassment is there to correct that? He's been calling out everyone, but some less than others, ( lincoln Evans, Waggner, stocker, poop )definately have'nt been called out nearly as much as others, when their mistakes clearly have been youth! The others have no back bone.

in response to ALLVOLNC:

You not liking me for something said on another thread has what to do with this thread? Opinions are opinions, facts are facts, lies are lies. You sound like an old poster who used to go under another name. I'll not call out that name and get you banned though, however it's good to see you back.

in response to mercyseat:

It's not really calling out players in general, especially the upperclassmen. But I do take issue with having a freshman media policy, yet calling out a defenseless freshman through the media. If Dooley can question a freshman's production through the media, the freshman should be able to defend himself through the media. That's all I'm saying. But I see where you are coming from.

in response to ALLVOLNC:

DAAAAMN, you are making me feel REALLY good, keep it up. Obviously my posts and my presence REALLY have an impact on the quality of your day. I'm FLATTERED that I could have such an impact on you. Because honestly, once I read your post and respond to it, you are about as much of a memory as that turd I dropped this a.m. Sorry, but it is what it is.....

in response to ALLVOLNC:

You are welcome.

in response to ALLVOLNC:

FYI, when you cut on someone who hasn't said 1 word to you, chances are you won't get a positive reaction.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to ALLVOLNC:

Maybe he's kicked out from kicking all day long. Perhaps the new punter will do the kickoffs next year leaving Palardy just field goals and point after.

10ECMATT writes:

I heard that the Wilson ball we use has a "dead spot" in it. It is a great passing ball, but not good to kick. Check it out on youtube.

10ECMATT writes:

norcalvol.wordpress.com/2010/09/07/dead-ball-foul/

in response to 10ECMATT:

ACTUALLY the ball you speak of sucks all around in my opinion. You bring up a VERY valid point. Watch the Nike teams. The balls they use are better, you can get a tighter spiral with them. The ball we use you almost have to alter your throw to get it to spin correctly IMO. I know it sounds funny to some, but it's a fact. The threads on it have something to do with throwing. Some people might clown you for your post, but you are correct. They brought it up to Dooley, he said the ball was fine. But what is he supposed to say when we are an Adidas school? Until we leave Adidas, we will have a crappy ball to play with.

OrangePride writes:

Lotta goins on here about not really very much. CDD didn't really do a number on Palardy, he just said he went back a little bit.....which is true. Palardy is going to be GREAT...make no mistake about it. What I like about him is that when he misses something once, he seems to go get it fixed very quickly. He also has a fairly high kickoff arc. This allows the coverage to get downfield and, in my view, is a big factor in our better stats. So, we can all just calm down and stop pointing all kinds of fingers...we are, at best, a work in progress and getting better. GO BIG ORANGE!

VOLsince68 writes:

in response to Volchief:

Really!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!

in response to naffy:

I heard Lincoln and Zach Rogers are leading the team through the T.

TKO writes:

I bought the hype and thought parlardy would come out of the gates quicker. Hopefully he gets this turned around.

cooper65#432178 writes:

in response to ALLVOLNC:

What are you talking about AllVol. Go up a few posts on this thread and you are responding to Rick. Speaking of class, you have called Rick insane, uneducated, and trash. Rather classless on your part. Maybe you are too uneducated to use classy words. What's really funny is you say "I have never responded to one of your posts and I never will AGAIN (emphasis mine)." Now that's funny.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Sooo, why couldn't we "black out" the Nike logo? We have no allegiance to Wilson do we?

orangecountyvols writes:

OrangePride,

Speaking of Palardy and your comments, I must say you are the only one who made any sense. I am betting you played the game and even kicked which most of the other experts did not.

Why is Tennessee's stat as good as it is defending kickoffs? People look at where the ball is fielded, the 5 or 10 for example. Not many are looking at the height of the ball as you noticed. Thus we were enabled to better cover the kicks.

Lincoln? He has had a nagging injury all year. A kicker believe it or not can really hurt his leg even from just kicking in practice to the point that it's even difficult to lift his leg once injured.

Anyway, if the Vols can play with pretty good execution against Ole Miss they have a good shot. The Rebs aren't on a par with some of the teams Tennessee has already played. Misoli is the key.
If he plays and we can't keep him under control, he can dictate the whole affair.

OwensboroVol writes:

I watch a lot of games on TV and cannot understand why everyone else has a kicker who consistently puts the kickoff 5 yards deep in the end zone and we don't. It is one heck of an advantage having the other team starting at the 20 yard line instead of the 30.

shorttail writes:

in response to VOLstuckINky:

plus the facemask grab on bray that everyone saw but the ref's

ACWLY writes:

Mr. Gribble, Much better article, actually it was excellent. Keep up the good work.