Four-star WR Arnett chooses Vols

For about an hour Tuesday night, diehard Central Michigan fans thought they had landed the highest-touted recruit in school history.

Not so fast. That was just four-star wide receiver DeAnthony Arnett having a little fun at the expense of thousands of college football fans across the country.

Via live-streamed videos on his Twitter page Tuesday night, Arnett committed to six different schools, including the Chippewas.

On Wednesday night, from his high school’s media center in Saginaw, Mich., Arnett did it for real. With five hats sitting on a table beside him, Arnett pulled a Tennessee hat from beneath his podium, instantly giving the Vols their top-rated commitment for the class of 2011.

“It was so fun, man,” Arnett said in a telephone interview. “Knowing that all those people were looking at you it was so funny. Everyone’s looking at your every move. It’s so crazy.”

There was good reason for the attention, which reached its peak when more than 5,000 people tuned in to MLive.com to watch his ceremony.

Arnett, at 6-foot, 167 pounds, is considered the No. 2 player from the state of Michigan, the No. 6 wide receiver in the nation and the No. 60 overall prospect by rivals.com. He fielded more than 40 offers from across the country, but ultimately chose the Vols over nearby Michigan State.

Southern Cal, Cal and Michigan got their hats on the table, but Arnett said he had known for “about a month” that he would commit to UT.

“Everything about it I liked when I went down there,” said Arnett, who visited campus unofficially for the Oregon game in September. “With Da’Rick (Rogers) and Justin (Hunter) on one side and me in the slot, things can be special at UT.”

Arnett, UT’s second wide receiver and 18th overall commitment for the class of 2011, had 42 catches for 782 yards and eight touchdowns this season. He added six more touchdowns rushing and returning kicks on a 1-8 team.

He will be one of 90 high school players who participate in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 8 in San Antonio. Before that, he’ll be on campus for Saturday’s game against Ole Miss for his official visit.

“I’m definitely going to be recruiting,” he said. “Definitely if they haven’t committed I will be.”

UT wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett served as Arnett’s primary recruiter. Baggett’s NFL pedigree was the difference-maker, said Arnett, whose favorite NFL player, Randy Moss, played under Baggett with the Minnesota Vikings from 2000-04.

“He recruited my family more than he recruited me,” Arnett said. “That speaks volumes to them and it’s what he’s all about.

“His resume speaks for itself. I don’t even need to speak on it. Everyone knows all who he’s coached.”

And now Arnett will be next on the list.

Andrew Gribble covers Tennessee football and recruiting. He may be reached at 865-342-6327. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/gribble/

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

utchuckster writes:

Good get, fast WR go deep, give him 6

HallowedHill writes:

WOOHOO!

GO VOLS!!

OldNumber7 writes:

I'm sure the prospect of playing for Bray didn't hurt after last week. Great news.

huntined#565710 writes:

GOOD NEWS!!!

chrisw2967 writes:

I hope the star gazers doesnt get mad because he is only 4*.
Good get

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!Keep 'em coming, Coach!!!

Loud_Proud writes:

HELLS YES SON!! THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! GO BIIIIG ORANGE

Ironcity writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

I hope the star gazers doesnt get mad because he is only 4*.
Good get

I hope the diamond in the rough crowd isn't disappointed that he is a premadonna 4 star.

hillsborovol writes:

Where are all the haters now?

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

As a side note, I love his name!!!

huntined#565710 writes:

Maybe we get Watkins to go with him!!! Both are fast..

tennezz writes:

Good get...now some DT`s.

coalvegas_vol323 writes:

For everyone that dogged Dooley on his recruiting......here ya go!!!!!!!

abnerPeabody writes:

Is that the best Dooley can do?

Loud_Proud writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Is that the best Dooley can do?

I hope you're joking..and if not, STFU!!!! hahahahahahahahah GO BIG ORANGE!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

Maybe we get Watkins to go with him!!! Both are fast..

Or Kelvin Benjamin---6'6--210

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Is that the best Dooley can do?

Today it is.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

BOOOOOOOOM!!! Now bring on Maurice Couch.

coalvegas_vol323 writes:

For everyone who dogged Dooley on his recruiting........here ya go!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

BOOOOOOOOM!!! Now bring on Maurice Couch.

You called it, RJ!!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Loud_Proud:

Just to let you know.Yes I was joking and if I decide to stfu,I will not need your permission.So you may want to follow your own advice.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Outstanding job. Way to go, Coaches.

Loud_Proud writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Just making sure you aren't one of the trolls..haha. Sorry dude. had to know.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

I hope the star gazers doesnt get mad because he is only 4*.
Good get

Say what you want, but if you don't recruit a fair amount of players in the top 250 nationally you end up where we are now. This is a HUGE GET. The diamond in the rough theory gets you where we are now. This dude is an Army All American. We beat out Michigan,michigan st, USC, and Cal.

One of the reporters asked him if Kiffin were still here would he have came here? He responded by saying he loves Lane Kiffin, but if he were still at UT, he would be a Spartan.

Kudos to Charlie Baggett. Baggett locked this up during the Oregon week.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Some of the boys on here are a bit short in the sense of humor department aren't they?

SEC1 writes:

in response to hillsborovol:

Where are all the haters now?

Still here, not impressed ..you're still rank 10 in the sec. the big boys.. bama,fl,lsu are ranked in the top 5. this guy is probably another "byrce brown type" who loves attention and will be running back to michigan after he gets a taste of "down south football" after bama&gators smack you guys around for years to come... just like bryce who tucked tail and ran back to kansas...same ole story

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

You called it, RJ!!!

I do what I can do. I'm still waiting on my check from KNS.

tnsportsman writes:

WELCOME DeAnthony to the BIG ORANGE! Great pick up CDD, keep it up!

WONDERFUL NEWS!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

murrayvol writes:

in response to hillsborovol:

Where are all the haters now?

They'll be along shortly.

wazzya69vol writes:

Just saw the news--OUTSTANDING !!! I just read this to my wife, and she screamed she was so excited. Then she texted our son in LA, Ca., who's an ICE Fed'l Agent, and bleeds Orange. Go CDD!! I'm sure Arnett sees Bray in his future as a good QB--and he can play in a Bowl game, unlike surfer boy. Just as important is CDD's integrity, which I'm sure impressed his parents. Let's take care of Ole' Miss--lock down your computers. One game at a time, and stand by our Big Orange!

JSamson7 writes:

in response to SEC1:

Yeah, so with that logic you're saying that Bama, Fla, and LSU have always been at the top of the SEC, huh? Get a clue..

OldNumber7 writes:

in response to SEC1:

I am laughing at your childish envy...it oozes from your post. I'm going to tip my glass to Pearl and Dooley tonite as you wallow in your misery.

gvegasvol writes:

Great pick-up! Not to sound like a stick in the mud - but I read this afternoon where this guy committed to USC - then said Mich - then said Mich State (he actually said the University of Mich State) and now UT. Kiff and co. are still hot on his trail so I hope he is still a UT comm in a few months because he looks like what we need - can you imagine him returning punts?

RoadTrip writes:

in response to SirSpanky:

I noticed that as well. We used to have a half dozen Gator trolls and a several Bammers. Guess they have other things to do now that they've been knocked off their perches.

Great recruiting job CCB!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to SEC1:

Perhaps you will be impressed when we steal Jeoffry Pagan from you on NSD. And yes, we will get him. Yeah we all know Pagans dad has strong ties to UF, but Pagan is leaning toward UT and his Mom LOVES UT. I gotta say that's a battle that Momma WILL win. Oh yeah, Dooley against Meyer in an in home visit,lmao. We KNOW who will win that. Go play chicken with a freight train you chump!

tnsportsman writes:

Alabubba will get their AZZ KICKED by Auburn, that will be 3 losses and the Citrus Bowl you REDNECKS and you to little (sec1)

I bet you and that Easy Alabubba Coed LOT LIZZARD (SHE-N-2-4) are dating!

Go To Hell Alabubba! GO Auburn!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

gormanvol writes:

vincent dallas is gong to be our speed reciever... along with devrin young at slot... justin hunter, and milton our deep ball wideout. wonder what kind of schemes they will put arnett in ... and UT is definatley "wideout U"!!! GBO

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I do what I can do. I'm still waiting on my check from KNS.

Let them mail it to you..Save on gas money!!!LOL!!

ibvolman writes:

Oh well...I suppose if this is the best Dooley can do, we will just have to live with it ;). Ths is a great get. We need some big uglies on the lines now, and things will be really good for the future, oh, and some DB's wouldn't hurt either.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to gvegasvol:

I heard the last minute USC rumors. I THINK kiffin started those himself. This dude is all Vol. With that being said, Kiffin is a GREAT recruiter, as is Mark Dantone of MSU. This was a FABULOUS get by Charlie Baggett, he beat out some hard hitters!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Don't let him get to you, RJ, because I don't give a d@mn if he is impressed or not..If Arnett committed to the Gators, he would be rubbing our noses in it...

BTW, what position does Jeoffry Pagan play?? Is he highly rated??

orange_n_peoria writes:

in response to tennezz:

Good get...now some DT`s.

just what I was going to say

The7Maxims writes:

Excellent pick up. I think that Bray's play against Memphis had to be a major factor. Any explosive offensive player would want to play with Bray. Electric RB Brendon Bigelow is strongly considering UT even though he's committed to Washington.

On defense, Couch has said that he'll announce very soon, and I expect he'll choose UT over South Carolina. Due to the Cam Newton debacle, some of Auburns commits are running scared: DB Izauea Lanier has decommitted from Auburn and is considering UT. DT Gabe Wright had Auburn as the leader, but could be leaning more towards UT if the Newton situation explodes. We'll see.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to gormanvol:

........so that leaves DaRick on the bench. Arnett and Dallas will be slot guys. Devrin won't have a set position. He will play slot, rb, wildcat,kr, and pr. Actually, Devrin and Vincent Dallas will probably be our 2 kr's in the future.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

I will tell you where BAMA is, when they loose to Auburn they won't even get a BCS Bowl.

Hounddog writes:

Hounddog rolling in the grass!!!! Now, lets hang on to him. He certainly has someone that will get him the ball (Sat night, " G, have you caught a touchdown yet?") Next play Gerald Joines...Give him six! Plus he can play NOW. Hounddog

DebtisDumb writes:

Nice Job Dooley. Now get some big uglies!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

BTW, what position does Jeoffry Pagan play?? Is he highly rated??

He's a 6'5" 280lb DE from Ashville NC. He's a UF commit but I'm not sure he signs with them. I could be wrong but I think he's one of the top ten players in the nation. Been a while since I looked.

Hounddog writes:

Last Sat. night Tyler Bray to Gerald Jones..."G, have you caught a touchdown yet? No, says Jones and soon after that... GIVE HIM SIX! Perhaps this young man understands at UT he can play now and we have someone that CAN get him the ball. Hounddog