Ware, Jones are official, sign with Vols basketball

Prospects Kevin Ware and Chris Jones are officially members of the Tennessee men's basketball team.

Both players signed their letters of intent on Wednesday and faxed them to UT.

“I just got done with my signing ceremony and faxed all of my stuff up,'' said Ware, who plays at Rockdale County High School in Conyers, Ga. “It's all official.''

Ware, a 6-foot-4 combo guard, averaged 19 points, seven rebounds, six assists and 3.5 blocks per game last season while earning second-team all-state honors. As as a sophomore he averaged 16 points, 8.5 assists and eight rebounds and was named his district's player of the year.

Ware is rated as the No. 56 overall player by Rivals.com and No. 91 by Scout.com.

"I quit looking at those rankings because they kept dropping me, I guess because I wasn't playing after I hurt my hand,'' said Ware, who played only the first half of the AAU season with the Atlanta Celtics before a broken bone in his hand sidelined him.

Jones held a press conference at Oak Ridge (N.C.) Military Academy on Wednesday and sent his paperwork in to UT.

Jones was a Class AAA all-state player as a junior at Memphis Melrose High School last season before transferring to the North Carolina military school last summer.

The 5-10 Jones averaged 20.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 6.1 assists last season while leading Melrose to the AAA state title and a No. 15 finish in the ESPN Rise Fab 50 national rankings. He's rated No. 39 overall by Rivals.com and No. 56 by Scout.com.

Jones was the Class AAA state tournament MVP last year, scoring 35 points in Melrose's 75-70 state title win over White Station and Memphis signee Joe Jackson.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ROCKYTOPBRAD writes:

first yepp eeee

Ironcity writes:

Glad its over. Lets a good big and we are set for next year.

GreerVol22 writes:

can they shoot? if so, lets hope Hopson goes away sooner than later...

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Always glad to hear good news, especially when a recruit makes it OFFICIAL.

Ironcity writes:

in response to GreerVol22:

can they shoot? if so, lets hope Hopson goes away sooner than later...

You guys need to get over the fact that Hopson is not as good as you want him to be. The reality is when he doesn't do well we lose (case and point the last game) Hopson is putting forth the effort he just hasn't yet learned what it takes to lead. Quit expecting him to be a 20-25 point guy who carries the team every night. My guess is he and Harris will ultimately be our guys and I think they will get it done. If you are going to worry you should worry about our point guard who can't or won't make entry passes to players who have 5 inch height advantage and 30 pounds weight advantage over their defenders and will make at least 3-5 mental errors every game.

TKO writes:

How soon can they play?

Volunatic writes:

I agree with IronCity. When Brian Williams only gets one shot in a game, the point guards aren't doing their job.

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Agree.

Point guard is our biggest worry.

We came together out of necessity last year...but it turned out to be good because before the "incident"...the offense ran through Tyler's hands....after, Bobby Maze was able to take control of the team from the PG spot.

If Goins doesn't learn to distribute first and score second...this team will not reach its potential.

NashvillePreds writes:

Sweet

HtownVol writes:

in response to rbhobbs73#226545:

Agree.

Point guard is our biggest worry.

Goins will need to distribute but PG is not at all our biggest worry. CENTER, BW has never had to play extended minutes. A former 400 pounder is going to have trouble running for25-30 minutes per game, especially if Bruce wants to press a lot. Fields is honestly a unknown. No one knows what he can do in the SEC.

Anyway PG can be an by 3 diferent plyers so one should be able to get it done.

BW is our ONLY big man. Fields is thin, The Marquette transfer is 6'6, so when BW gets tired we are in trouble vs teams with 2 true bigs.

The things is this team can make a deep run with the talent or we can be a bubble team with our lack of Bruce signing a true Center. I am thankful for Bruce but I cant see how he keeps ignoring the fact that we need a true Center. Sorry to be honest guys.

At least UK can easily go south faster than anyone with a team full of paid 18 year olds.

GO VOLS

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I agree that point is not our biggest worry, however if the point isn't in control like he wasn't the other night we will not win. Brian Williams has to be more alert than he was that night also. Goins will need to look for Harris better. I'm sure we'll run more actual plays Friday night. I'm not worried too much about Chattanooga but Pearl probably needs this win more than Chattanooga does...not for his job but for his team. This time I'll have to pull for UT...not that UTC has much of a chance.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Corch 'em up, BP.

Congrats, young men!

dvols writes:

sweet , a memphis kid, a necessity for success....

Ironcity writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Anyway PG can be an by 3 diferent plyers so one should be able to get it done.

GO VOLS

Good points but Hall can also play center. I watched Golden last year and he was a shooting guard in high school and was not asked to run the offense. Mcbee will struggle to cover anyone really quick so it comes back to Goins and Bone.

Bone if healthy and I am concerned about that gives us a steady player who will not be spectacular but he will be steady. Goins? I am just not sure about. I liked him as a back up because he does bring energy but as a starter he can slow the offense down if he can't get the scorers the ball where they need it. I hope he has improved over the summer as much as they indicated in practice earlier this year but after Mondays game I am not optimistic.

miamiVOL writes:

HTOWNVOL- Kenny Hall is 6'11 and can play inside.

this is college, not the NBA, 6'6 and above in the inside is fine