Tennessee Stat Book
1. It’s Not Memphis: Tennessee enjoyed a well-deserved upbeat night in Memphis last week. Nothing wrong with a confidence boost. But the Vols are back in the SEC today and they better be prepared for the fact that nothing will be as easy as it was in a 50-14 romp over the awful Tigers. They’ll have to step it up a level if Derek Dooley is to get his first winning streak.
2. Bray’s Day: The above especially holds true for freshman quarterback Tyler Bray. He passed his first start with flying colors but the learning curve turns steeply uphill against Ole Miss’ defensive front. Making good decisions and quick ones will be paramount.
3. On An Island: Cornerback is a lonely position. They say it’s like being on an island, isolated on a receiver, frequently with no help. With Marsalis Teague (toe) doubtful and Art Evans suspended, how lonely of an island is playing cornerback for the Vols? Think Tom Hanks in Cast Away. Keep your fingers crossed that Eric Gordon and Prentiss Waggner stay healthy for four quarters.
4. Who’s On Guard?: The offensive line is a fluid proposition. Nothing stays the same from week to week. Today, guard Zach Fulton (ankle) shuffles out, JerQuari Schofield shuffles back in and Jarrod Shaw shuffles from left guard to right guard. James Stone makes his second start at center.
5. Nutt’s Audition: Where have the last two deposed Ole Miss head coaches landed? As assistants at Tennessee. David Cutcliffe (2006-07) and Ed Orgeron (2009) did stints in Knoxville after they were cut loose in Oxford. We’re not saying Houston Nutt is on the hot seat, but checking the real-estate ads might not be a totally bad idea.