5 big things for Vols vs. Ole Miss

Full event details »

1. It’s Not Memphis: Tennessee enjoyed a well-deserved upbeat night in Memphis last week. Nothing wrong with a confidence boost. But the Vols are back in the SEC today and they better be prepared for the fact that nothing will be as easy as it was in a 50-14 romp over the awful Tigers. They’ll have to step it up a level if Derek Dooley is to get his first winning streak.

2. Bray’s Day: The above especially holds true for freshman quarterback Tyler Bray. He passed his first start with flying colors but the learning curve turns steeply uphill against Ole Miss’ defensive front. Making good decisions and quick ones will be paramount.

3. On An Island: Cornerback is a lonely position. They say it’s like being on an island, isolated on a receiver, frequently with no help. With Marsalis Teague (toe) doubtful and Art Evans suspended, how lonely of an island is playing cornerback for the Vols? Think Tom Hanks in Cast Away. Keep your fingers crossed that Eric Gordon and Prentiss Waggner stay healthy for four quarters.

4. Who’s On Guard?: The offensive line is a fluid proposition. Nothing stays the same from week to week. Today, guard Zach Fulton (ankle) shuffles out, JerQuari Schofield shuffles back in and Jarrod Shaw shuffles from left guard to right guard. James Stone makes his second start at center.

5. Nutt’s Audition: Where have the last two deposed Ole Miss head coaches landed? As assistants at Tennessee. David Cutcliffe (2006-07) and Ed Orgeron (2009) did stints in Knoxville after they were cut loose in Oxford. We’re not saying Houston Nutt is on the hot seat, but checking the real-estate ads might not be a totally bad idea.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tree_em_smokey writes:

We win a close one. GBO!!

mtowntim writes:

Come on Vols, just play 4 quarters of mistake free football!

Go Vols!!

txvolsfan writes:

Sometimes you feel like a Nutt, Sometimes you Don't!!! A game we can win!!!
GO VOLS!!!

tnsportsman writes:

NO EXCUSES not to win this game with the MS Teddy Bears! VOLS, protect the damn ball, focus and play 4 quarters!

We will be at Neyland screaming our lungs out, expecting this win and 2 more to be 6 & 6! The Music City Bowl awaits and THE VOLNATION will paint Nashville ORANGE for the first time!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

PUL4VOLS writes:

It'sasking a lot of these young men but they can do it. I will be there in orange and loud. I hope to be celebrating a win as I drive home to Chatt. and prepare for my son's return to his Air Force Base in Oklahoma. GO BIG ORANGE!

Voluvr writes:

Guys if you haven't seen WR DeAnthony Arnett who just committed to the Vols, check this out. This is scary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1fz_...

Down_The_Field writes:

worthless, strange.

KNS, hire someone to do this article that spends more than an hour before it's due. it would also be nice if that person put a little research and heart into it.

VOLs 35
Ole Miss 28

RespectTradition writes:

My list:

1) score more points than them
2) see 1
3) see 2
4) see 3
5) see 4

If we can do those five things, then I think we can be assured of victory.

Go Vols!

imw8n4u writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

My list:

1) score more points than them
2) see 1
3) see 2
4) see 3
5) see 4

If we can do those five things, then I think we can be assured of victory.

Go Vols!

I like this plan.

mtowntim writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

My list:

1) score more points than them
2) see 1
3) see 2
4) see 3
5) see 4

If we can do those five things, then I think we can be assured of victory.

Go Vols!

Good plan. That should work nicely.

Go Vols!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

Bray Day Today 34-14

DebtisDumb writes:

High Scoring game, I think if Masoli plays we lose but if not I say we win out Go Vols

thevoice writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

My list:

1) score more points than them
2) see 1
3) see 2
4) see 3
5) see 4

If we can do those five things, then I think we can be assured of victory.

Go Vols!

You've made it so simple. I like it. Seems like it would be a good base game plan.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to CantStandSaban:

Did you do the actual shot, or did you do the sniff? I had to do the sniff last year, and I hated it.

Get well soon. GBO!!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to Voluvr:

WOW.... guy can flat out MOVE!! Glad he's on our side!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

I'm always appreciative when someone thanks me for my service, but the parents/spouses need to be acknowledged as well. Thank you.

born2ride writes:

Ole Miss lost at home to Jacksonville State.

Ole Miss is in last place in the SEC West.

They changed their mascot to the Black Bears.

Even Dooley can win this game.

volfan7 writes:

Go Vols! Winning the next 3 games will get us a bowl bid. I had hoped that Dooley would have been better prepared with the previous games we lost, but that is way in the past. We need a big victory, not a close call.

tom865#278083 writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Looking awesome!!

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to DebtisDumb:

Was it the last part of your name that made you post this? Masoli not only started, but scored a couple TD's for us. I don't know who cleared the kid from the concussion, but he was not over it. Maybe you should have posted if Misoli plays and his concussion is healed then we cannot beat Ole Miss. The kid was not well today. If you look at the hit he took last week it was on his left side. I am not a DR., but having a heart condition, which could cause a blood clot to go to my brain at anytime. I know the left side of the brain controls a lot more than the right. I am glad to get the win, but Masoli for safety and health reason's he shouldn't have played a down. That is Huston Nutt though, putting his wins on the line over his players own health and safety issues. What a loser he is!!. Ole Miss should send him packing at this game and not wait till the last of the season. A win is not worth someones life or being a vetegable the rest of his life. If we are going to win, lets do it with their best players on the field and healthly, so they cannot come back if Mosli had been healthly we would have beaten you. Get two (2) more BO, but lets focus on Vandy this week.

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to born2ride:

Ole Miss lost at home to Jacksonville State.

Ole Miss is in last place in the SEC West.

They changed their mascot to the Black Bears.

Even Dooley can win this game.

I agree with the first three items, but why jump the coach. He had an excellent game plan today and once for a change it all came together. We got the breaks, which we normally don't get, interceptions, fumble recovered, the freshmen OL giving Bray time to throw, always at least two receivers open in the Ole Miss Secondary, very few pentalies, etc., just what usually happens to us, but today the ball bounched our way, yet you still show no faith, no loyality, no support for the coach. With what he came into and the injuries, etc., he is the SEC Coach of the Year in my book. I know he will not get it, but he sure as hell deserves it!!

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to AlvinToles:

I agree with you, not only the extra, but recuriting is hitting the critical stage. The ones that still have the BO on their maybe list. That way you don't have to tell a recruit you can help us go to a bowl game next year. Takes that out of the selling the BO and allows you to say you can start as you saw how many freshmen we played this year. On one of the end around plays today 11 Rebels were chasing the ball carryer, had we had a double reserve the guy could have walked into the end zone. If you got a line as young as ours, you must run some misdirection play, even though our OL probably played their best game going up against those "hogs" on the DL. Hope they stay focused on Vandy this week, now that becomes the most important game of the season. Hope to see a ton of Knox County Plates headed towards Nashville next Sat and bring your loudest voice you got!!

Juzkruzin writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Hope you make it home AOK and thanks for driving up to support the BO. Tell your son I am proud of him and his service to our country. I spent 25 years in the USAF, so tell him good luck and "Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Wonder"!!

RespectTradition writes:

in response to RespectTradition:

My list:

1) score more points than them
2) see 1
3) see 2
4) see 3
5) see 4

If we can do those five things, then I think we can be assured of victory.

Go Vols!

My plan worked! They should so hire me. :-)

Go Vols!