A can't-Miss show by Vols, 52-14

Five turnovers by defense; 3 TDs by Bray

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray scans the Ole Miss defense prior to a play at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010.  The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray scans the Ole Miss defense prior to a play at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010. The Vols defeated the Rebels 52-14.

Game-day recap: Tennessee-Ole Miss

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt on loss to Tennessee

After a while Saturday afternoon the question rumbling around Neyland Stadium changed from one thing to another.

At the homecoming kickoff against Ole Miss it was whether Tennessee could find a way to pull out its first SEC win of the season?

It ended up being this:

Where did that come from?

The Vols led 21-0 after a quarter, 31-14 at the half. But the only numbers that matter, the ones at the end, were even more startling - 52-14.

"It was just a phenomenal team win,'' said UT coach Derek Dooley after his first SEC victory and first back-to-back wins.

"I felt like we were ready.''

But that ready?

The Vols won the turnover battle five-zip, won the yardage battle 441-295 and scored their most points in a non-overtime SEC game since 2003.

"Man,'' said senior defensive end Chris Walker, "I knew we had it in us.

"We've showed spurts on defense that were good, spurts on offense and spurts on special teams. Today was our first complete game as a team.''

The Vols (4-6, 1-5 SEC) kept their dream of bowl eligibility alive. They still have Vanderbilt, next Saturday in Nashville, and Kentucky, at home, left.

Tyler Bray threw three touchdown passes in his second start, two to Justin Hunter and one to Denarius Moore.

Ole Miss quarterback Jeremiah Masoli also threw two touchdown passes - both to Tennessee cornerbacks.

Eric Gordon's 46-yard interception return gave the Vols the surprising 21-0 lead still in the first quarter.

Prentiss Waggner's third interception-return score of the season covered only 10 yards but the timing couldn't have been better.

The Vols went into the halftime break with a 31-14 lead but knew Ole Miss (4-6, 1-5) had explosive potential.

"When we went in the locker room, we talked about finishing strong,'' said Waggner, "so I had it in my mind I was going to make a big play.''

His big play afforded the Vols a 38-14 lead.

Tauren Poole, seldom seen in the first half when Tennessee couldn't run the ball, finished up with touchdown runs of 36 yards in the third quarter and 35 in the fourth.

"I never in a million days thought it would be 52-14,'' said Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt.

"That's what turnovers and mistakes do.''

Tennessee intercepted four passes and recovered a fumble.

"I say it every week,'' said Dooley. "That's the key, the turnovers. It always is.

"If you're plus-five in turnovers, you're probably going to win the game.''

An omen that Tennessee might win the game came on the Vols' first offensive snap.

After stopping Ole Miss' opening drive, the Vols took over at their 20.

Bray dropped back and fired a pass intended for Gerald Jones, but Ole Miss linebacker Jonatahan Cornell deflected it into the air.

Hunter, the tall and speedy freshman, was in the right place at the right time to pluck the ball out of the air, break a tackle and race 80 yards for a touchdown.

Jones admitted he went from, "Oh, God … to … Oh, good!''

"He broke a tackle,'' said Jones, "and there's nobody there.

"I tried to keep up with him but he's like, what's that horse's name, Zenyatta, covering four yards a step.''

Bray's second TD pass was a 17-yarder to Moore.

Three plays later, Gordon snatched a Masoli pass and was on his way to the checkerboard for a 21-0 lead.

"I'm not gonna lie,'' said Jones. "I was a little surprised how well we were playing.

"Not surprised, like I didn't think we could do it. I was surprised it was actually happening. And good things kept happening for us.''

The only good things for Ole Miss came in the second quarter, touchdown runs of 17 and 2 yards by Brandon Bolden.

But in between Bolden's scores Tennessee answered with an 11-play scoring drive that ended with an acrobatic 22-yard TD catch by Hunter between two Ole Miss defenders.

Bray finished 18-of-34 passing for 323 yards.

In his two games as a starter, he's passed for 648 yards, eight touchdowns and no interceptions.

And the Vols have won both games by a combined 102-28.

Poole had only 7 net rushing yards at halftime but warmed up to finish at 107.

Masoli was only 7-of-18 for 80 yards passing for Ole Miss and was intercepted three times. Nathan Stanley came on in relief and was picked off by Anthony Anderson.

All in all, it was a dominating performance by Tennessee, following another dominating performance last week against Memphis.

"That's what you want,'' said Dooley, "to get better and better and better.

"We handled adversity. We were two-and-six there, coming off two blowouts.

"Now we'll see if we can handle two good games.''

Mike Strange may be reached at strangem@knoxnews.com or 865-342-6276. Follow him at http://twitter.com/strangemike44 and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/strange.

Crumbhead writes:

Fun game to watch.

nepperso#220348 writes:

It is SO REFRESHING to see a phenomenal quarterback under center again. What I'm going to say may bring out some haters, but Tyler Bray reminds me of Peyton Manning... a lot! I think we may be in for another run like we had in through the 1990's. GBO!

snoopbob87 writes:

Bombs away!

Razor784 writes:

in response to nepperso#220348:

It might be a little bit early for that comparison, but I sure hope you're right GBO!

TNisPeerless writes:

I am so happy we won. However, Bray is not accurate. Time after time receivers were making great catches. Bray's completion percentage was low. First play should have been a pick.

CrankE writes:

Bray is so skinny and looks like he's about 15. Just like Peyton did in 1994.

The results sure do look promising.

Sometimes you feel like a Nutt!

theoldbear writes:

Yeah, Tyler Bray is tall and skinny. So was Peyton Manning. Three or four years from now, we'll know if he's the real deal or not.

This young Vol team is maturing. Hope they do as well the next two Saturdays.

But I'm sorry. No 6-6 team deserves to go to a bowl. Especially one with a win or two over non-bowl division teams.

So let's let Vandy and UK be our bowl games, and win them both big time!

Go Vols!

LaneBrains writes:

Finally, the CLK guys are getting playing time...leave those CPF guys on the bench and UT will win more games like this. Recall, we are the best coaches in the history of college football.

Monte Invented Defense, Ed has the golden recruiting touch and I of course have taught Steve, Nick, Les and Joe Pa a thing or two.

CLK, Monte and Ed

razin55 writes:

in response to theoldbear:

This young Vol team is maturing. Hope they do as well the next two Saturdays.

So let's let Vandy and UK be our bowl games, and win them both big time!

Go Vols!

I agree on the deserving a bowl part. But the extra practice time could do wonders next year.

LOWCOUNTRYVOL writes:

Strange...Bray looks, physically, just like the freshman P. Manning back in the day, eh? Me likey!! GBO!

GOJO writes:

in response to nepperso#220348:

***

I certainly hope that you are right, & I believe you are. However, let us not forget that Sims gave us his all while the team (especially the Line) was trying to "grow-up" while playing some powerhouses.
It did not hurt that the Vols won the turnover battle five-zip today.

olozbal#646632 writes:

I was there and I don't agree with the "we couldn't run the ball" sentiment. We didn't even try to run the ball. We were the Colts today. This was a passing game plan from the first play.

Bray is a trip to watch in person. A bomb could wipe out half the stadium and he'd still be standing there pulling up his socks and looking at the sidelines for the next play. The kid's pretty good.

mercyseat writes:

I wonder if Eric Berry rubbed Dexter Mccluster's in it?...YAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOO!!! These kids played their hearts out. Awesome! Keep it up tyler. Dont let Simms take back his job!

Bogus writes:

So many people want to keep comparing Bray to Manning. Well, we were comparing Ainge to Manning. Remember, Ainge had better stats than Peyton as a freshman, even though he missed a bunch of games with that collarbone injury. Would you still compare Ainge to Manning?

Before the comparisons are made, wait til the end of next year. Peyton's improvement from his freshman to sophomore years told the tale. What, he only threw like 4 picks his sophomore year? There's your benchmark. Most kids have a sophomore slump. Peyton was the complete opposite. Just ask Ohio State and Alabama.

Bogus writes:

in response to olozbal#646632:

You're right. We came out shotgun for the entire first half. I think that's going to be our MO from now on, pass to set up the run. Wear out their d-line in the first half by making them pass-rush, then pound them in the second half.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to olozbal#646632:

That's what I saw too. We came out determined to pick on their secondary. And we did. Bray sure seems like he has good instincts. He's gonna get picked off again, no doubt. But scared money can't win. Keep slinging it, Slim.

Ironcity writes:

Bray and Manning are very different in my opinion. Manning was methodical and accurate but also throwing to the open man most of the time. Bray throws it to the best match up. He has no fear and throws into double coverage if the match up is good. He is a gunslinger who is perfect for this team at this time.

I think Bray is the perfect college QB and perfect for UT at this time because he will let the play makers make plays. Simms wanted the guys to be open. Sometimes you just have to put it up and let guys like Hunter, Moore Stocker Rivera and Jones just go get it.

For the first time in a long while I look forward to our games and watching what this kid will do. The future is getting brighter and brighter. On a side note is their a team as dirty as Georgia today. That was a disgrace at the end of the game.

mcmi7757#208993 writes:

Is it just me, or does that photo above of Bray, look eerily like Eli Manning? If he can play like a Manning, I'll take it anyday. GBO !!!

bookman58 writes:

I am not a Vol fan, but I am also not a troll. I think your team just turned an important corner. You seem to have found your quarterback and that makes all the difference in the world. I hate to say it, but I am a Memphis fan, and it is no fun to pull for the worst team in division 1 football, but at least we have basketball.

ORANGE_WILL_RISE_AGAIN writes:

in response to Crumbhead:

Fun game to watch.

What if we had started Tyler from the beginning? He seems to be getting better each game. It would be nice to see how good he would be if he started all the games. We lost most of them anyway. A little payback for Ole Piss today was great.

ChattMac writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I agree. He has a rocket arm, a quick release and talented receivers. I remember those great receivers Andy Kelly had. He just threw it up and let them go get it. Bray does that, but I saw some replays where he threw the ball behind his receiver not because he missed, but because he was avoiding a defender and hoping his guy would be able to catch it anyway. I know one thing for sure and that is this team seems so positive now. That first play was the first really lucky play I can remember since the Stoerner Fumble in 98. Then we fumble 2 punts and get them back. A few weeks ago those would have gone the other way. I can't explain it, but this team is making its own luck. They don't let things bother them because they know that even if Tyler throws a pick, he will be right back in to make a great throw for a TD. They don't just think it, they KNOW it. The change in attitude has made all the difference. Tyler's cool headedness has rubbed off on the whole team. It's so awesome to think our QB is going to make great plays rather than hoping he doesn't screw up!!

The defense can play looser as well. They know if they let one get by and give up points that Tyler will get it back. This takes the pressure to get turnovers so we can score points off their shoulders, and now the interceiptions are just happening because of good play. It helps that they aren't on the field the whole game too!!

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to TNisPeerless:

Gripe about his completion ratio if you want, but consider 3 things. First, he is not throwing it to the other team. Second, he is really good on 3rd down. I felt like converting 3rd downs early is what would keep Houston Nutt from getting his team's emotion into the game (and that is how he coaches). Bray did that. 3rd, he still does gets a whole lot of pressure and when you compare how often he gets into trouble vs. how many times he gets sacked, then you can understand and ACCEPT some incompletions.

No one of any credible intellect can criticize ANYTHING about Tyler Bray's performance. For his 2nd start, it wasn't perfect, but it was impressive.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Huh? I saw two Auburn Tigers get thrown out of the game for fighting. I also saw them hitting Murray late on numerous occasions. The dirty team in that game plays on the Plains.

pbnichols writes:

One of my all time favorite UT quarterbacks wore #8. He was a Rhea County boy that no matter how bad the game was you always felt like we had a chance to come back; i.e. Notre Dame 1991

Bray has looked good the last two games and he has been fun to watch. Here's hoping he can keep developing and improving and when he does the SEC will once again Fear the Orange!

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to olozbal#646632:

Well, we were not running very well in the first half, but it was obvious today that the play calls were more around what the defense was giving us and not establishing the running game. Ole Miss was expecting conservative play calling so we kept throwing downfield.

It was easily our best offensively called game of the year. We didn't run that well early, but that happens when the defense is playing for the run. They were not prepared at all for Tyler Bray and it was obvious they, like many whiners, thought the Memphis game was a combination of fluke and bad oppponent. Maybe, but Bray can throw.

And today, we used the pass to open up the run. Who cares whether the chicken or egg came first?

rockytopatl writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

My opinion is that we saw better calls on offense because we had a quarterback on the field the coaches could trust with more of the playbook. When Simms tried to throw it down the field, bad things tended to happen. Thus the coaches kept it simple.

We definitely used the pass to set up the run. It's a great strategy and it works a high percentage of the time if you have an effective passing game.

nola_vol writes:

If anything, I think Tyler is more like Eli Manning.

Eli is the intuitive QB; Peyton is the technician. Tyler is all about his "feel" for the game. You can hear it in CDD's comments when he says he doesn't know if Tyler even reads the defense.

I hope he can develop more on the technician side—it will lift and lengthen his career.

brandon4028#285298 writes:

in response to theoldbear:

This young Vol team is maturing. Hope they do as well the next two Saturdays.

So let's let Vandy and UK be our bowl games, and win them both big time!

Go Vols!

Correction, we only have 1 win over an FCS team, that would be UT Martin. UAB and Memphis are both Conference USA wins, and are, believe it or not, FBS teams. Although, they are not impressive teams, they are FBS teams.

JohnnyVol writes:

Beyond Tyler Bray, how about the numbers of young players we have on the field period. I really want to see us go to a bowl and get the extra practice. We must feel good about next year, when we consider all that we have coming back.

OTPVol writes:

Great game, perfect day, hope for the future. Gotta get me some shades.

tennezz writes:

in response to theoldbear:

This young Vol team is maturing. Hope they do as well the next two Saturdays.

So let's let Vandy and UK be our bowl games, and win them both big time!

Go Vols!

A bowl game by a team with a 6-6 record is usually meaningless but the extra 15 days of practice is priceless to a young team!

ridge_runner16#368042 writes:

in response to volman2010:

You are right and Poole could have 100 yards every game if the OC would mix up the run play call. Only 13 plays tonight while QB under center and 12 were runs, all other plays came from Shotgun and zero of them were runs by the running back, only end arounds. if they would run out of the shotgun and pass a few times with the QB under center maybe the defense wouldn't meet our RB's in the backfield. I mean everyone knows when we are going to run, it has been this way all year but Poole still finds away to get yardage. He should touch the ball 25 times a game and the OC needs to change up play call. We would have at least two more wins if this was the case.

volfan4life1998 writes:

Lets not start the Peyton Manning comparisions. Just let Bray be Bray. He will be a good QB, but there will only be one Peyton. We did the same thing to Ainge and everyone thought he sucked even though he had a very solid career.. probably second to Peyton. Just let Bray do his own thing. He isn't Peyton, but he's a good QB.

Ironcity writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Did you see the UGA linemen hold up the dee tackle while the RB dove full speed at his knees. Thats disgusting. Coach Richt should be ashamed. UGA also got yet another crack block on a linemen today (they lead the league) the same type of hit that has virtually made taken Hughes out. Both punches from Auburn came after dirty on field plays with less then a minute left with game in hand.

rockytopatl writes:

I stand by what I said. I saw far more dirty plays from Auburn. They hit Murray late nearly every time he threw the ball. Both ejections were well deserved considering the replays I saw. Georgia's bench did head towards the field during that near melee, but the coaches pulled them back.

rockytopatl writes:

Granted, this is a UGA blog, but it accurately reports what I saw:

Ironcity writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Granted, this is a UGA blog, but it accurately reports what I saw:

Danialson pointed out the dirty play. You will see at least one UGA player suspended if not more for Ga Tech. Most teams play on the edge but I think UGA and Florida tend to push well beyond.

VOLKING writes:

Does anyone know if there is a replay on the internet of today's game?

cloudodust writes:

in response to nola_vol:

If anything, I think Tyler is more like Eli Manning.

Tyler Bray reminds me of Tyler Bray...Good things have happened when he plays/starts. Saw him on the Vol Walk today and I liked what I saw. We don't look back now, just ahead and ask the recruiting gods to smile upon us...

bleeding_orange_fan writes:

Is #8 the new #16? . . . . Only time will tell.

jimvolfan writes:

At the start of the season, I was cautiously optimistic. I understood that we have a young team with inexperienced QBs. Simms gave us his all, but the players around him weren't ready for the bigtime, and neither was he. Now, the team has matured and I'm ready to see Vandy and Kentucky go down. A bowl game will give us just that much more practice time to get ready for next year. Bring in a solid recruiting class and we're off to the races. Unless Bray really has a breakdown, we've got our QB. No orange koolaid here, but then I didn't expect us to set the world on fire this year. Next year, however...

rootin4volz writes:

Lord have mercy, I'd almost forgotten what "real" Tennessee football looked like. Thank goodness we found the groove! Great game, guys! Go get your bowl game!

kyletrktr writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Georgia was egging it on. Fairley didn't mean to hurt their quarterback. His helmet hit his knee because a georgia player blocked him towards the quarterback. Georgia's sideline exploded off the bench onto the field while auburn's calmly watched. Gucks for auburn though, they need all they can get for alabama.

Brillovol writes:

in response to nepperso#220348:

I'll take the Andy Kelly years at this point. We've still got a lot of pieces of the puzzle to add to get to the late 90's quality. We'll get back in time...

tnbigg writes:

Where are the gator trolls? You know...the guys whose pomp and splendor heralded every recruit over the past few years as the greatest, the strongest, the fastest players that ever lived. Coming in to play for the "coach of the century". Where are they? Did they have a game today? Last night maybe? Against who? Steve Spurrier maybe? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ! You freakin' morons! Eat that gamecock scat you mindless buffoons! Oh yeah! As for the Vols! Let it rip men! Great game!

tnbigg writes:

I celebrate the demise of the mindless buffoons from the swamp who have soured this site with their loathsome gibberish for years. Help me remember oh wise and all knowing poster. Did I say anything about US winning or losing against the gators? Here is the answer. No. I did not. I laughed and enjoyed the irony of visor boy spanking their obnoxious butts in the swamp and loved his jabs afterward. Do you have a problem with reading or is it interpretation of what you read? Now take another crack at it as you wonder "who the mindless buffoon is". :)

tnbigg writes:

in response to Nivram:

For your personal recollection;

Written by Nivram on Vols not Swamped, fall 23-13:
in response to Swampster:

Now with all my praise for UT as a Gator fan, please dont diss the Gators. Meyer, and the players deserve some respect. For a sheitty game on our part(no offense really-thanks to ya'll) we still one, and I bet this was prime effort on your part, we still pulled it off. The Gators with faults and all are one hellofateam. We had maybe 2 of 8 cylinders firing today and still pulled it off. If we can get it together we will get some serious arse this year. But again I say good job Vols for squelching those other 6 cylinders. What a game!!!

You won't get much love here but your right. The Gators didn't play their best ball for whatever reason. Just watch out for UT next year. Ok, I know we say that every year, but this time we mean it ;)

Bogus writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

Manning and Ainge were both 6'6 twigs, and they ended up filling out pretty well (Ainge's freshman year withstanding). And yeah, Bray seems inaccurate, but he also hits the big play in a big way. Also, while Ole Miss gave up alot to Jax St., we scored more on Ole Miss than Auburn did. Anything can happen playing those FCS teams. Ask Michigan.

Quit being such a negative Nancy. Every Vol fan out there was enjoying what our team did yesterday. If you didn't enjoy it, then you're nothing but a troll whose Gator team got spanked at home for the third game in a row.

Bogus writes:

in response to WEAREBETTERTHANVANDY:

BTW Gator troll, how does it feel to know that this skinny and frail QB at UT has 10 td passes in the last 2 1/2 games while your absolutely awesome Brantley has 8 td passes over the course of the entire season? That must be really hard for you to swallow. Heck, Bray threw 2 td's against SC in one half, and Brantley couldn't throw even one the entire game against SC. And on your own field to boot. Against a secondary weaker than our own. Pathetic. You do realize you can't compete for a title when losing 4 conference games, right? Ya'll will be lucky to beat FSU. In the meantime, we're gonna enjoy finishing our regular season on a four-game winning streak.

DingoVol writes:

Winning the last two regular season games and going to a bowl would be huge for recruiting. Kids will see this as Tennessee's "turnaround" and be ready to come here. Playing so many freshman has been frustrating at times, but will pay huge dividends.
The biggest difference between TB and Simms is that TB will check to a second or third receiver while Simms decided where he was going to throw the ball before they came out of the huddle. He stared down the intended receiver and threw it no matter what. I am excited about TB as the QB for the next 3 years.