Pearl continuing to work without deal

Chancellor says contract to be finalized soon

Bruce Pearl suspended for 8 SEC games

With another penalty levied against Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl, do you still support him?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is continuing to work under a letter of appointment after receiving notice on Sept. 9 that his previous contract was being terminated.

Chancellor Jimmy Cheek confirmed Friday that UT's general counsel is re-working Pearl's contract after its first contract offer to him on Oct. 8 included provisions that both parties have since deemed inappropriate and/or unnecessary. Pearl returned the first contract offer on Oct. 22.

"Currently it's (the contract) in our general counsel's office and we hope to have that from her very soon,'' Cheek said. "We will get the contract finalized. We believe we've made the right decision.''

Pearl was suspended Friday by SEC commissioner Mike Slive for the first eight SEC games for violating NCAA rules and misleading investigators about photos taken of him and a recruit at his home in 2008.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said he expects UT to receive the NCAA enforcement staff's letter of allegations shortly.

The NCAA informed UT that it hoped to have its investigation finished and the letter of allegations delivered in December.

The Vols football and baseball programs also have been under investigation, but Hamilton has said he doesn't believe either of those sports are facing any major violations, and thus the school has not taken the step of self-imposing any sanctions.

The men's basketball program could be facing four major violations relating to Pearl's unethical conduct and 97 impermissible phone calls over a three-year period.

The case will go into the NCAA's summary disposition phase before ultimately going before the NCAA infractions committee as early as February but more likely in April.

The NCAA could dole out more penalties or accept the self-imposed sanctions UT has put forth.

Based on a recently settled case involving similar circumstances at Chattanooga, it's likely the Vols will be placed on probation for a minimum of two years in addition to losing scholarships.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Didn't I just read this article? Is this plagurism?
Golly how do you spell plagarize? playgerise? plajarism? plagerizm? plageism? plegelasm? oh never mind. You're either repeating yourself or copying someone!

elmoe writes:

"right decision"?????? Is there any sanity in Knoxville?

BigOrangeJeff writes:

in response to elmoe:

"right decision"?????? Is there any sanity in Knoxville?

Yes, there is indeed sanity in Knoxville. They have the facts, probably even many to which you and I are not privy. Pearl made a mistake, admitted it, and took responsibility for it. Since the story came to light, Pear and the university have cooperated with the NCAA in the investigation, instead of the "deny and obfuscate" tactic that many schools and coaches take.

Pearl made a mistake and is being punished for it. If he keeps his nose clean, there is no reason he cannot continue to coach.

Must be nice to have never messed up.

PennVol writes:

Dooley should moonlight and quadruple his salary by representing all his fellow coaches under investigation.

givehim6 writes:

Bruce Pearl is still the face of Men's basketball in Knoxville. It takes a man to stand up and say look I messed up sorry punish me, and lets move on I still am your coach if you want me. Still love ya CBP.

born2ride writes:

I am hearing Scott Drew will be coaching the Vols next year.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to PennVol:

Now that's funny! A real 2fer.

KevDVol writes:

Pearl was bad wrong and he has been punished.

I'm pretty sure Slive's slight of hand of justice trick is not going to take many eyes off the Auburn QB that is hiding behind the curtain.

Ironcity writes:

Is this article a signal that the KNS is going republish 10 articles from September to October?

VolunteerLifer writes:

Pearl's salary should be reduced much more than it has been. He still makes big huge bucks even though he plunged our program into ncaa hell.

rdrgtr writes:

2 years probation? Are you kidding me? If the vols get 2 years probation from this I will be floored. The guy was not honest when he got blind-sided by questions he had no idea were coming. He thought it through and he (not the university) wanted to reschedule a meeting with the ncaa to come clean with the facts. What kind of message will the ncaa send by punishing the vols under these circumstances. Why in the world would any school want to work with the ncaa if there is suspected foul play? You might as well lie to the very end because the outcome will not be any different.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to rdrgtr:

The thing is I don't think Pearl would have lied given a "do-over". I seriously believe he wanted to do it right. Anyone who's ever gotten caught-up in wrong doing knows what happened (probably all of us at some point?). I am glad the SEC is punishing this, but they need to be careful about just coming down on one team, coach or player. Plus I think that Hamilton should (and did) punish the underlings not the SEC or NCAA.
Maybe the NCAA will consider all of this maybe not...but it certainly appears Pearl came clean and wants to fix it. That always counted for something with my dad who probably let up on me a little...somewhat.Golly I miss him(his birthday yesterday) The last time I spoke with Dad was when we won the Football championship.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I don't see how you can compare this to robbing a bank , but ok. I have stated before , but I'm sure you didn't read my whole paragraph if at all...that I think Pearl should do more, w'o prompting from his bosses, to show he's truly sorry...I have stated that he was wrong for lying, I even agree with you to a point, but to continue attacking him with the agenda to get him fired is wrong. YOU need to forgive. This is not a forgive and forget situation exactly but a forgive and watch thing. He got himself and IF he's let go then so be it.. But right now my opinion is to get behind the University in whatever they think is best. I for one trust the president and hope eh and the board do the right thing. I believe we should give Pearl another chance.
1. He has brought basketball back to Tennessee
2. We went to the elite eight. It's not where we want to stop and MOST people feel Pearl can take us further ...w/o cheating
3. To me he is sincere in his apologies
4. We beat both Kentucky and Memphis and Kansas more than we should have with our talent level.
Shows he knows what he's doing
5. The opposition from other schools shows that he is successful. I don't recall Kentucky fans being happy some former coaches left.
6. A lot of coaches would have taken the money and run. Pearl stayed knowing the opposition from many would take a lot of work to overcome...indicating some sincerity
7. We have a lot of players who came here for Pearl's coaching...it's their parent's job to teach morality for the most part...Pearl having a son to teach morals I think wants to do the right thing and truly regrets his sins.
8. It's not for us to decide how a person repents.
9. Eight suspended games is a statement! Whether it's enough or not, again, not our decision.
10. I believe he's a good coach that made some poor decisions...give him a chance to prove that.
If you're willing to go back and read my posts you'd see that I at least partially agree with you. O just don't believe that I need to campaign to get him fired and believe he can still be great for our University.
sincerely "MrPearl"(Uwish)lol

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Key corrections- top paragraph," He got himself in trouble..."
Last paragraph-" I don't believe that I..."
Sorry about the book UT fans. But these 'unforgiving "fire Pearl" people have to be controlled...haha