Last game: Win or go home; Dooley wants to focus on Kentucky, not bowl

Full event details »

The elimination games had been going on all month.

Derek Dooley just waited until the last round before acknowledging the unofficial playoff race Tennessee has faced each week in November, finally and briefly bringing it up after moving one win away from a bowl bid.

But even though the first-year coach and the Vols are all clearly aware of what's on the line on Saturday against Kentucky (TV: WVLT, 12:21 p.m.), Dooley obviously doesn't want to talk much about it. And if he could find a way to do it, he would prefer a possible postseason trip not cross anybody's mind at all after last weekend's lackluster 24-10 road win over Vanderbilt.

"I just think when you're focusing on what comes with a result, you're not focusing on what you need to do to get the result," Dooley said during his Sunday teleconference. "It's like going out there and wanting to win versus wanting to play well and doing all the things necessary to win. I just think it distracts you from what your mind should be on, and your mind should be on, 'What do I need to do today to prepare me to play for next week?'

"If you're thinking about a bowl game, that's not helping you play good. I think that it's going to be in their minds, and what I try to do is keep their focus on the game and competing. I think it's impossible to say, 'Don't think about a bowl game.' But I don't see how that helps you play better."

Like it or not, the Vols (5-6, 2-5 SEC) have talked more and more about their postseason chances each week during their three-game win streak since Tyler Bray took over at quarterback. And with a win-or-stay-home showdown with the Wildcats (6-5, 2-5 SEC) looming, the conversation figures to only get louder.

The sloppy win over the Commodores did provide Dooley with plenty of options to quiet the Vols down a little bit, though, starting with the first real rough patch for Bray since he was handed the reins to the offense. The true freshman threw two interceptions, appeared to have some problems handling different looks from the defense and certainly wasn't picking apart Vanderbilt the way he did the previous two opponents, though Dooley hardly seemed surprised by that after the game.

Like issues with UT's rushing attack and even bigger problems with its punt returners, the lessons didn't come in a loss or at the expense of a bowl game, which might make it easier for Dooley to get the attention of his team on the practice field.

"Well, we need to do something different than we did last week, because we played pretty poorly," Dooley said. "What I mean by that is, we've got to get back to focusing on a lot better week of preparation. But we're not going to do anything different as far as structure, as far as what we emphasize.

"We're not really going to be talking about a bowl game because we're not going to be there if we don't beat Kentucky. We've got a heck of an opponent coming our way."

It also happens to be one the Vols have traditionally been able to count on for a win, at least for the last 25 years - putting even more on the line for the Vols in the regular-season finale.

The trick is finding a way to keep UT's focus off winning streaks or the postseason.

"That's one of your baseline standards, you want to be in a bowl game every year," Dooley said. "Certainly for recruiting it helps and you just always want to be playing in postseason play, it gives you those extra practices, but it's also just good exposure for the program.

"Yeah, it's always an important thing. But at the same time, it's not going to destroy our program if we don't get there this year."

With one more playoff win, UT won't have to worry about that.

Austin Ward covers Tennessee football. He may be reached 865-342-6274. Follow him at http://twitter.com/Vols_Beat and http://blogs.knoxnews.com/ward.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

chrisw2967 writes:

As long as the team that shows up that played against Ole Piss tn will win going away.If the team that showed up against Vandy it could be a long night.

volzrock54 writes:

Keep um on the course Coach Dooley

asleep#212036 writes:

Kentucky will be the best team we have to beat to make it to 6-6. Their offense is versatile and efficient and they want this one bad. A deeper and much more experienced UT team needed OT last year in Lexington so this will be tough. However, Kentucky has consistently laid eggs on the road this year and to my knowledge, we have never had to win our last game to make a bowl so we may want this one even more than they do. Plus, the lackluster game against Vandy was inevitable due to the inherent inconsistencies of a youthful team - just glad it happened this week and not the next. I'm not looking for two flat games in a row, especially not in front of the Neyland crowd. Better bring it Vols or Saturday could be one of the worst days in recent UT football history. Go Vols!!!

wigmeister writes:

If we can keep Cobb under wraps for most of the night, we should be able to pull this one out. Dooley has the right philosophy.

tenndave writes:

I live in Ky so this one means alot. But after Vandy, I have a bad feeling. Hartline won't miss those passes that Vandy did. His recievers won't drop them either. Locke and Cobb may be the best speed runners since we played Oregon. I want to have number 26 but it will take a supreme effort by our defense to keep us in the game. We will score but so will they. How much is the key.

taylorsvolfan writes:

We play like we did with Vandy then we are in trouble.

mercyseat writes:

Seniors;
This is your last game. You need to get fired up and let the younger ones know what it means to beat Kentucky. This is your last chance for a bowl game and to go out with dignity. Kentucky already has a bowl bid,and I guarantee you they are going to try to hand you your rearends on a silver platter. The team with the least mistakes will win. Now... put those kats to sleep and lets go bowling.GBO!!!!!!!!!!!

cloudodust writes:

Kicking game will see some alterations. Stay tuned...Recall : UK went after Cunningham all night 2009 and busted him up pretty good on a PF block in the back on a KO. Who's Joker gonna have them keyed on 2010..? If it's Bray, take out theirs in kind...That's all I've got to say about that.

born2ride writes:

It's a good thing Hamilton bought out the North Carolina game or we would be 4-7 and out of a the bowl picture.

I know 6-6 and going to a tiny bowl makes Vol fans happy but we will have won against 6 lousy teams - Memphis, Martin, Vandy, UAB, Ole Miss and UK.

To me this team under Dooley is a failure and it shows how much the football program has fallen off for us to accept 6-6 as a successful season. IMO

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to taylorsvolfan:

We play like we did with Vandy then we are in trouble.

Agreed - the good news is that teams are usually up one week and down the next. Let's hope this is an 'up' week.

vols1987 writes:

in response to born2ride:

dude! The UNC game got bought out for next year. Get educated.

chrisw2967 writes:

Idiot Alert!!!

North Carolina was never on the schedule this year.Shows how much you know.

bcm4ut writes:

in response to born2ride:

I am rather curious what you expected out of this team this year? Every sane vol fan knew this was going to be a down year. Where have you been?

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to vols1987:

dude! The UNC game got bought out for next year. Get educated.

His handle should be - borntoride-thecoaches.

Somehow he thinks that the only team in the SEC with 3 freshmen on the O-line, Zero preseason All-Sec players, and picked to finished fifth in the SEC east should be about 9-3 by now if only Knute Rockne was our coach.

HoustonVol writes:

born2ride writes:

-------------------

First the UNC game was to open next year, and was not on this schedule. Please get your facts straight.

Second, we have beat the teams were were expected to beat and lost to the teams we were expected to lose to. Most people did not forecast this team to make a bowl, and here we sit one game away from making a bowl. While I am not happy that we have to accept a possible 6-6 season, I am also realistic in knowing that this is the start of a rebuilding process. Next year will be better, with higher expectations.

jacob0391 writes:

in response to born2ride:

first off DON"T SAY WE (CAUSE YOUR NOT A VOLS FAN YOUR A FAR WEATHER FAN). Second who puts the expectations on us. Im only 20 years old but im pretty sure that we havent been a power house in like 10 years. Coming off of the past three seasons i believe if everything can go as plan we should start seeing results. every time goes right something bad happens. We was rebuilding last year then lane screwed us. Then dooley took over managed to put a top ten recruiting class together. Ive said this over and over lets give him time like 3 years look at nick saban he went 6-6 his first year at bama. not saying we will win the championship in 3 years just hoping we will start winning about 9-12 games every year.

PUL4VOLS writes:

born2ride, a lot of piling on you dude but understandable in light of the post you made. I just hope our team does not see the words "failure" and "this team" in the same sentence. They are not a failure. They have played hard and at least have a shot at a tiny bowl which several teams in Division 1-A would love to have. Take your Ned negative elsewhere. We don't want it on here. We have seen their mistakes and mishaps. We have suffered through losses unprecedented for many of us. We remain fans and believe in them. We are thankful for three wins in a row. If you cannot be, go join an unthankful club somewhere else because we are Orange bloods around here. Besides, I would love to see you start where coach Dooley and staff began and end up with a less than tiny bowl game as a possibility. Have you done that in your field of work? If so, show us the video evidence. Otherwise, the ruling on the field stands, these Vols are a success ere be it on a smaller level than many of us wanted this year.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Checkd out your profile...You ARE NOT a TENNESSEE fan.. So ride on out of here on your ...MOPED or BIG WHEEL or what ever you RIDE???

volsfannsc writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

Well said. This is like a natural cycle or resetting that was bound to happen regardless. What is important is how that is handled. Our Vols have played with a lot of heart and for that I am grateful.

I remember not too long ago when a loss, any loss, tore me up because our chances at a NC were over. I was one of those arogant fans that just thought the good times would always be there. For me, the rebuilding has made me a better fan. Previously I wasn't all that concerned about players day-to-day strife, the injury list, etc. This year I made it a point to know who was shuffled to what position, who was hurt and not playing, and where we were in the big scheme of things. A winning season? NO. A successful season? ABSOLUTELY.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

Just win, baby!!

nocleats writes:

Perfect Practice makes Perfect Plays!

hateNCloveTN writes:

i think he rides an jacka//s. if he would just ride off into the sunset we would all be better off.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Your opinion is wrong, but you're entitled to it. Yes we are down, but we will be graded on how we get back up. This team has made tremendous strides during the season and is on the way to the top. They need all our support. You will be smiling again if we stay on course. GBO!

SummittsCourt writes:

Gotta love coach's message to the players.

Go Vols!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to born2ride:

Witch Doctor say the sissy viewpoint not needed go away "Vandygrad in hiding". Coward
Bones never lie.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to born2ride:

the sissy formally known as "Vandygrad"
*Confirmed
Bones never lie

vol88 writes:

in response to born2ride:

The North Carolina game was next year.

(You aren't going to understand this next sentence, but I'll say if anyway.) Success is relative, and seeing where we were on Halloween vs. where we can finish shows a great effort by the coaches and players. No, we're not going to win a championship this year, but we showed the kind of tenacity that will pay dividends in a couple of years when we are back on top.

JohnnyD writes:

I was happy to see the Vols punt from the Vandy 38 yard line...maybe against KY we can revive the quick kick! Go Big Orange!!!

ctownvol writes:

in response to AlvinToles:

Wow. Just wow.

PennVol writes:

We need a consistent running game in the worst way but after 11 games, it's probably not going to magically happen this week. I expect we will pass a lot and sprinkel in a few timely Poole runs on offense, and try to bottle up Cobb. Vols in a shootout, 35-31.

CrankE writes:

Had UT managed things well against LSU, then they'd be 6-5 right now and some pressure would be off.

They can learn to handle it though. And I think they can come through it with a win.

Against Vandy, the 4th and 2 play to finish the game was ab fab. I can't tell you how many games Tennessee has lost for failure to get that final first down so that they could take a knee and run out the clock. For everything else that happened in that game, that play gives me some hope for the future.

GO VOLS
#26!

EMBuckles writes:

in response to vols1987:

dude! The UNC game got bought out for next year. Get educated.

Yeah, and also, beat Kentucky, get in a bowl and beat that team and you come out with a 7-6 winning season with money in yo' pocket! Git edjicated! ;>

EMBuckles writes:

And like good ol' Witch Doctor pointed out above, that Vandy Dandy, ol' Vandy Grad seems to have skeedaddled. Is he in a Nashville bar, cryin' in his beer over his beloved Commode Doors? What wuz it he said, "Fear the 'Dores", BWWWAAAAHAHAHAHA! ;> Like WD says, "bones never lie!"

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

It's going to be senior night, so I'm looking for big games from Gerald Jones and D Moore on offense and Chris Walker and Nick Reveiz on defense. It will be an emotional game for those guys. All of those guys have been extremely professional throughout their careers at UT. I don't expect them to let us down. Is Stocker a senior?

I think this is where Dooley is going to shine. I believe his attention to detail throughout this week will push us over the top. I expect a crisp performance with few mistakes. It will be close because Kentucky is a good football team. I think we squeeze out another W.

tnsportsman writes:

VOLS, this is it baby! Practice hard this week, focus and protect the damn ball Sat! CDD is right, this is YOUR one game playoff, NO EXCUSES! Play ALL OUT and leave NOTHING on the field! If you do, we all can live with the outcome, which will be a BIG ORANGE WIN!

VOLNATION, lets get to Neyland early (which it is, lol), OUR VOLS needs us to be present and loud for the entire game!

Forget about the lsu and sc game on what could have been, this is OUR VOLS redemption on OUR way back to success!

GO VOLS, BEAT ky!

WE ARE UT!

mtowntim writes:

in response to AlvinToles:

Alvin, my orange brother, throw a period or exclamation mark in there every now and then or the grammar police are going to be on your azz! However, definitely keep the spirit.

GO VOLS!!!

Rocky_Mountain_VOL writes:

Did anyone see an article on govols about UT not getting $8 million because of the Dooley hire? I just caught the header, came back to read it and it was gone. Thank you.

newportvol writes:

Wow... i wanna get one for my truck!

DrewM2010 writes:

As a vol fan native to the Lexington area, I always look forward to this game and look forward to attending this Saturday. Go Vols!

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

I have to agree with you.
I know more about the players now then ever before. I appreciate their effort, and enjoy watching them come together as a team. I feel these guys will be close to each other a long time on the future.

If you look at some dominant teams in the past, like Nebraska, Miami, Florida State, and Notre Dame, it has taken them a while to get back to prominance(if they are back yet). but with Dooley that slide looks like it was short term.
anyone the thinks Dooley can't turn it around, is blind to how this team is improving.

crappieking writes:

in response to born2ride:

Hey bornstupid, no true Vol fan expected this to be a great year. Can you say rebuilding? Also, you lose all credibility with your first sentence about the NC game. That buyout is for next year. Why don't you educate yourself before posting, that way you won't come across looking like such a simpleton.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to jcherrie#219531:

His handle should be - borntoride-thecoaches.

Don't know how effective Knute would be. If he were still alive, he'd be almost as old as Bowden.

Hounddog writes:

in response to born2ride:

Hey man, since you feel your were born to ride...why don't you just hit the road? You and all of us would feel better. Hounddog

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

in response to Rocky_Mountain_VOL:

The next morning Hamilton tweeted a harsh remark at the KNS for the sensationalizing inaccuracies of the article, saying there was never any conflict. I think they pulled the article after that. (I quoted the tweets under the article, and there's not even a record that I posted under it now.) Yesterday you could still get to it under Most Popular, but not now. The $8m was donated after the plans were improved and agreed upon, they said. There were obvious problems with the orginal plans, like the showers not being next to the work-out area...so the athletes would have to walk through a public area to get to showers. Stuff like that that should have never been approved to begin with. It makes sense that Dooley would want someone else he trusted to look at the plans and help revise them. The donor wanted to wait until that was all settled and probably to see the results. That's my understanding. It's all good now.

KtownBluetick writes:

in response to born2ride:

How does a game slated for 2011 have anything to do with our bowl run in 2010?

This blog is for fans of the Big Orange.

madmaxvol writes:

in response to born2ride:

How does Hamilton buying out the North Carolina game in 2011 have to do with UT being 6-6 in 2010? Please do your homework before posting next time.

Remember also that Fulmer was 5-7 two of his last 4 years...so 6-6 would be an improvement over that.

volfan1971 writes:

Let's not get the cart before the horse relative to a bowl game. First get by Ky and become "bowl eligle". THEN, hope someone will give us a shot at some lower level bowl. Any bowl will help our program with practices and putting our name out there.

GOJO writes:

in response to pj_ladyvolnMI:

***

Thanks ladyvol. You got that right. I'm glad I scrolled down to your post before I attempted to explain the situation to Rocky. You did a better job than I would have.

Colliervol writes:

in response to born2ride:

This statement only serves to tell us how little you know about rebuilding a disaster. You only said one accurate phrase: "how much the football program had fallen". It had fallen a long way and it takes more than one year to bring it back. But fair weather and/or simplistic fans rarely understand that.

Colliervol writes:

Personally, I think the Vandy performance was the best thing that could happen in getting ready for KY. Two straight woodshed beatings and this team was reading its press clippings and enjoying themselves. After the Vandy performance (particularly an abysmal performance by the offensive line), I'll bet that Dooley had no problem getting their minds on business again and I think he'll have them ready Saturday.