Randall Cobb wants to do more homework on future

Kentucky wide receiver Randall Cobb fails to make a catch during the game against Tennessee at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010. UT won the game 24-14.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee vs. Kentucky game recap

Randall Cobb was one of the last Kentucky players out of the visitors' locker room Saturday afternoon at Neyland Stadium.

His team had just lost to Tennessee for the 26th consecutive time.

Cobb, the former Alcoa High School star who was spurned by UT until late in the recruiting process, was supposed to be the guy who could end that burdensome losing steak to the Vols.

He tried. Gosh, how he tried.

Cobb caught 13 passes for 116 yards, but the Wildcats frittered away a promising start on their way to a 24-14 loss to the Vols.

Standing in a dark, damp hallway outside the locker room, Cobb was left pondering the defeat and his future as he fielded questions from reporters.

His future seems destined for the NFL draft, but Cobb, a junior, could play for the Wildcats again next year.

So the big question: Will you stay or will you go?

"I don't know," Cobb said. "Now that this game's over, I'm going to go back and do my research and do all my homework I can to see what's best for me. I've got to be a little selfish now and make a decision that's best for me, but my heart's always going to be in (Kentucky) blue and I'm going to do what's best for me, and if that's coming back, I would love to play another year here."

No doubt the Wildcats would love to see him back. Cobb can play everything for the Wildcats (and does) - quarterback, receiver, punt returner, kick returner, even holder for extra points and field goals.

Kentucky receivers coach Tee Martin, who was UT's quarterback on the 1998 national championship team, said he wants what is best for Cobb.

"We'd love to have him back," Martin said. "I'm going to recruit him as hard as any other recruits that we have out there for the signing class because I want him back, but at the same time he has to make a decision that's best for his future and his family."

Early in Saturday's game, there was reason to think Kentucky might end the losing streak against UT.

Kentucky held UT to a field-goal attempt after Da'Rick Rogers returned the opening kick 78 yards, and Vols kicker Daniel Lincoln missed a 28-yard attempt.

The Wildcats' first play was a 7-yard pass from Mike Hartline to tight end Tyler Robinson, a 2010 graduate of Alcoa who got his first start of the season Saturday.

Kentucky drove down the field and took a 7-0 lead on Derrick Locke's 17-yard run. During the drive, Cobb ran a reverse for 11 yards, caught a 12-yard pass on third-and-6, and Robinson caught a 14-yard screen pass.

UT ran three plays and punted.

The Wildcats drove to the Vols' 1, where they had first-and-goal, but Locke fumbled and UT linebacker Nick Reveiz recovered in the end zone.

UT drove for a touchdown and tied the game.

"This has been happening to us all season," Cobb said, "not just with (UT), turning the ball over at critical times and not executing."

Cobb also lost a fumble after catching a 7-yard pass late in the second quarter, but UT's Tyler Bray threw an interception on the next play.

By then, though, there was a feeling that Kentucky had blown its chance with Locke's fumble at the 1.

As he jogged off the field after the game, Cobb's emotions swirled in his head, and he was soon asked by a reporter if he wanted another shot at UT next year.

"I would. Who wouldn't?" Cobb said. "I haven't beat 'em yet, and that's something I'm going to be thinking about over the next couple of weeks."

Robinson's Day: Robinson finished with four catches for 25 yards, including a 2-yard TD catch.

"It hasn't hit me yet," Robinson said of the TD. "It probably will later tonight."

Robinson will do his best to break the UT jinx the next three years.

"It's ridiculous, 26 years in a row," Robinson said. "You always want to beat them. I'm glad I've got three more years to actually get a chance to do so."

Dave Link is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Cobb is a player. He just was not enough today. Whether he is back next year or playing on Sunday, he has been a huge asset to the UK team. If I guessed, I'd say he is finished in Lexington. He played well today but when it counted the D kept him from hurting us bad. That, we can remember and be proud of if we see him in Lex next year or not.

nocleats writes:

Son, get in the NFL. Your stock will never be higher, breaking in a new QB next year could cause your stats to weaken, and cost you some serious money.

andrews#1389072 writes:

Never have understood why Fulmer didn't recruit Cobb.

utjunkie writes:

in response to andrews#1389072:

Never have understood why Fulmer didn't recruit Cobb.

Fulmer did recruit him, but he wanted to play QB and we were already set at that position. UK told him that he could play QB (they just didn't tell him how little he would play it). And so goes the twisted lies that are told on the recruiting trail.

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to utjunkie:

utjunkie, I'm not so sure that's how it went... I think Fulmer got in too late and Cobb decided to be a stand up guy and stick to his commitment to UK!
Spin it however you like, but Fulmer dropped the ball on Cobb, PERIOD!!

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

Spin it however you like, but Fulmer dropped the ball on Cobb, PERIOD!!

Get off of Fulmer's back on this one. Nobody recruited Cobb. He had a total of 2 offers. Ky and MTSU I think was the other one. He is a fine player, but he would not have played receiver for us anyway. He would have been a pretty good DB though.

txsvol#372416 writes:

I can understand CPF's not recruiting Randall Cobb, when he thinks he has better players; but I don't understand why he din't recruit Tim Tibow, when we had nobody good enough to hold his athletic supporter. CCPF got extremely lazy in showing great recruits 'all they could be' as Tennessee Volunteers! Go Vols! SAVol

asleep#212036 writes:

He was a 2-star out of high school and Fulmer rarely went that route. He didn't really pay much attention to him until after the HS season was over and by then Brooks had him sewn up. Actually, Cobb is a good kid and he honored his commitment (to Kentucky), which is fairly rare and commendable. So Phil missed one, no big deal. Every great recruiter, and Fulmer certainly was, drops the ball now and again. Not many schools wanted Tyler Bray either but it looks like he can play a little ball too. If Locke and Hartline are seniors then Cobb should go - replacing those two will be difficult and without them, Kentucky probably struggles to make a bowl next season. If either or both are back, it's 50-50. Of course, the NFL could lock out and then he would have no choice. Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

I don't think Tebow fit Fulmer's style, so he didn't recruit him. Now whether Phil should have changed his style to fit a player of Tebow's caliber is another argument but Fulmer and Cutcliffe were old school - they wanted a pocket passer who handed off to the tailback 30 times per game but could throw the deep outs and posts when needed and was very proficient in the short passing game. That wasn't Tebow. Oddly enough, our most recent NC team was captained by a mobile QB who called his own number often and who made as many plays with his feet as with his arm - kind of like Tebow. Again, recruiting is an art, not a science, and sometimes you mistakenly pass on a guy who might have changed your world. Go Vols!!!

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to txsvol#372416:

Tebow was shown little or no interest by UT and numerous other schools because Tim was a gator since childhood, he never really considered going anywhere but Florida.

wtnvolfan writes:

in response to hufstedler02:

According to rivals, KY, MTSU and TN offered. He only officially visited KY and accepted 06/30/2007. Who knows what did or did not happen throughout the process. The only thing I know is TN has a homegrown boy to be proud of...because like his team or not, Cobb is a great player and playmaker...good luck to him where ever he goes.

WV_Vol writes:

I think anyone who leaves early for the draft this year will be making a poor decision. There will be a lockout next year in the NFL which leaves you unpaid and unable to play for a full year. If you can come back for another year, you'd be better off playing for free than not playing at all. Just my opinion.

jack_2222#231746 writes:

Seems like Denarius Moore was almost a kick in with Lennon Creer. Funny how it goes.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to nocleats:

Exactly, he's not going to make any more money by staying another year and a ball player's body only has so many snaps in it. I'm sure he's going pro. That's what the interview seemed to reflect.

murrayvol writes:

Cobb is a great talent and the type player every team needs.

Wish he'd been a Vol and I hope he chooses the NFL next year. No good reason to roll the dice on injuries and a new qb.

bullit writes:

He cold have been a vol. Everybody just loves the drama of the hot dog boy not playing for his child hood team. Get over it. He turned out to be a great player, but don't think for a second he couldn't have come here, where his heart was supposed to be. That's BS.
He isn't a vol, so I don't care one bit about him. I just get sick of the drama. You people live for it.
If there was never another sentence in my paper about this non-UT player, it would be great.

givehim6 writes:

in response to nocleats:

This is true he has for 3 years to beat the Vols during 3 of our darkest years, didn't happen. Only thing he could do to help himself look better to the scouts by staying is if he won the QB job himself. So go make some $$$$ Cobb.

thevoice writes:

Troll-free, the way it should be. A little experiment has concluded that it's only fun to read the comment threads when we win. Go Vols!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

For all the people asking why Fulmer didn't try harder to recruit Cobb, the answer might be for the same reason that no other SEC school showed any interest in Cobb. According to Rivals, Cobb only had 3 scholarship offers: Kentucky, Tennessee and Middle Tennessee. So you might wonder why Steve Spurrier, Mark Richt, Urban Meyer and Nick Saban didn't offer Cobb. They simply didn't think this 5'11" 176 lb quarterback was good enough to play in the SEC. They were wrong. At least Fulmer did eventually offer him, but it's not like he was the only coach that failed to see this guy's potential. Give the Kentucky coaches credit, they saw something no one else did.

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

Randall, you are a great college player...but kid, you only have so many hits you can take at your position. You'd be a great Colt receiver (Garcon sucks), and could bring life to them. But regardless of the team, if you are projected to go high, go pro.

You need the jackpot.

a330m#650327 writes:

Randall your a great player and i am a vol's fan...i wish you had been a vol but that's life...go get your money your stock would never be higher than right now...

dead_vol_foul (Inactive) writes:

in response to fasteddy41:

I'll always be interested in how that happened (Phil's recruiting).
I know it got harder with all the SEC schools getting more serious about football in the early 2000's, plus the ACC, too.

But, I wonder...I wonder if it had more to do with how he chose assistants and who they were.

Guess we will never know. At one time, Phil was an ace, but that was when he could pick and choose. when he had to battle harder, just seemed to slide.

VolFan1958 writes:

Randall, your stock as an NFL player will be the highest it will ever be right now. I hate to see you leave early but money talks. You have a big fan support here from Blount County and we're all behind you and hope you the best.

HallowedHill writes:

Cobb is definitely a talented player. I'm somewhat suspicious of the story about Cobb's lack of recruitment. If he really grew up a fan, sold hotdogs in the stadium then decided to go to UK because Fulmer didn't pay him enough attention, I wonder how much of a fan he really was. (See Tyler Wolf and Nick Reviez).

Either way, I don't see Cobb staying at UK next year. The majority of their stars graduate this year so he won't have the supporting cast that he is used to which will hurt his numbers and most likely, his draft status too.

If nothing else, Saturday's win has got to be messing with his head. If they couldn't win in a year when they had a good team and we had a struggling young team, their chances will only drop off from here.

GO VOLS!