Season, streak live on for Vols with 24-14 win over Kentucky

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley celebrates as he leaves the field Saturday, Nov. 27, 2010 after beating Kentucky in Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. Tennessee won 24-14.

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee vs. Kentucky game recap

The Streak lives on, spilling over Saturday into its second quarter of a century.

That's the big picture. The short-term gain of Tennessee's 26th consecutive victory over Kentucky is that the Vols' season also lives on.

"I know I gave Tennessee everything I had,'' senior linebacker Nick Reveiz said following the Vols' 24-14 win over the Wildcats at Neyland Stadium.

"Now I've got one more game and I'm looking forward to it.''

He's got one more game because a four-game winning streak carried the Vols from the depths of a winless October to a 6-6 finish (3-5 SEC).

They're bowl eligible and most likely headed to Nashville for the Music City Bowl on Dec. 30.

"It's hard to describe how proud I am of this football team,'' said first-year UT coach Derek Dooley.

A November victory tour that began in Memphis and visited Nashville climaxed on the home turf before a Senior Day crowd of 101,170.

UT pulled away from a 14-14 tie on Tauren Poole's 2-yard touchdown run in the third quarter and tacked on a 36-yard Daniel Lincoln field goal in the fourth.

The result, given the opponent, was ultimately predictable, despite the fact that Kentucky had the weapons to end its string of futility that predates anyone on either roster.

"It's expected for Tennessee to win the game,'' said UT tight end Luke Stocker, a Kentucky native. "We went out there with that mindset today.''

While the mindset was familiar, the timing of the critical moment was a bit of a surprise.

Here lately in the one-sided border war, the decisive plays have come at the end of the game - in overtime, even, two of the past three years.

But when the Wildcats (6-6, 2-6) bemoan their latest loss to the Vols, they'll point to the sequence at the end of the first quarter and beginning of the second.

Specifically, when a goal-line fumble and what followed turned a potential 14-0 Kentucky lead into a 14-7 Tennessee advantage.

"It looked like of the first 25 plays of the game, we might have won two of 'em,'' said Dooley.

One of the two came on first-and-goal at the Tennessee 1 as the first quarter wound down. It couldn't have been bigger.

The Wildcats already led 7-0 after a smart opening march ended in Derrick Locke's 17-yard touchdown run.

Following Tennessee's second three-and-out possession, Kentucky mounted another impressive drive.

It arrived at first-and-goal at the 2. This time, however, Locke lost control of the handoff from Mike Hartline and fumbled as he got to the goal line.

Reveiz wasn't exaggerating when he said he gave Tennessee everything he had.

He won the scramble for the loose ball in the end zone, making the recovery for a touchback. The Vols took over at the 20.

"I'll always just remember Nick Reveiz doing his job, being in the right place at the right time,'' said defensive end Gerald Williams.

" 'Cause if he wasn't there, it would probably have been a touchdown and a different outcome to the game.''

Six plays later, Tyler Bray was throwing an 11-yard touchdown pass to Gerald Jones.

And just over three minutes after that, Bray was tossing a 12-yard TD pass to Denarius Moore to make it 14-7.

Tennessee had dodged a potential landscape-shifting bullet and was on its way to preserving the status quo.

"How quick things change,'' said Kentucky coach Joker Phillips.

"We go in and fumble, a few plays later you're tied, a few plays after that, you're down seven.

"We've got to learn that when you get guys down, you've got to keep them down.''

But there was work to be done.

Kentucky opened the second half with a 76-yard drive to tie the score 14-14.

An Alcoa High School product got the touchdown, but not the expected one.

On fourth down at the 2, the Vols were hunkered down to stop the run but Tyler Robinson, a freshman tight end, caught a Hartline pass for the equalizing score.

Alcoa's Randall Cobb, meanwhile, went without a touchdown for the first time all season.

He caught 13 passes for 116 yards, rushed for 25 more yards and added 4 yards on his only punt return. It added up to 145 all-purpose yards, but Tennessee could live with that.

"He catches 13 passes, but only averages nine (8.9) yards a catch,'' Dooley said. "That means you're tackling.

"We played a great second half against a good football team.''

At halftime, the Wildcats had run 53 plays to Tennessee's 21. But only 138 of Kentucky's 390 yards of total offense came in the second half.

Bray was 20-of-38 passing for 354 yards. He was intercepted twice, both times nixing promising scoring opportunities.

Hartline was 31-of-44 for 272 yards. His only interception - by Prentiss Waggner, his fifth of the year - came with 4:55 to play and Tennessee never gave the ball back.

And so it ended. But The Streak didn't.

"They're all bitter,'' said Phillips, Kentucky's rookie head coach, "let me tell you that. This one is the worst because it's the present.''

One first-year coach's bitter pill was another first-year coach's relief.

"The previous 25,'' said Dooley, "didn't help us win today.

"I'm just glad in my first year we didn't snap that thing. Nobody would have been happy.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

HtownVol writes:

D Moore will he be drafted in the first 3 rounds? Why not?

Anyone know which key recruits were at the game today to see the fans supporting the team and how this staff is the right one for this young talented team lead by future 1st round draft pick Tyler Bray?

volfan1971 writes:

Well done Vols. Great showing by our seniors. Here's hoping for a bowl game to continue the year.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

For the Kentucky fans without a calculator...it's now 527.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Rarely is a fine whiskey as old as this winning streak.

And few college students.

OwensboroVol writes:

I live up here and I can't tell you how badly the UK fans were wanting to win. They had this one already won. I just called my son, a UK Student, and left him a simple message, "26"

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

WOW! Great victory. Great Volunteer team.

shorttail writes:

one thing that is needed for next year is a hoss of a running back, poole got yards but failed to many times on 3rd and one causing the defence to be on the field too long.

TommyJack writes:

Hats off to hard working seniors.

tn_rockytop writes:

good game i am so glad for dooley he will be great and the rest of the staff

tnsportsman writes:

GREAT WIN OVER the ky kittens for 26 in a row! Our Seniors and this team have made a statement towards rebuilding OUR VOLS back to TENNESSEE TRADITIONS AND WINS!

Lets get the Music City Bowl VOLS!

GO VOLS, WE ARE UT!

PS to Alabubba: Auburn spotted you 24 points and YOU STILL LOSS, LOL! Damn what A GREAT weekend with OUR VOLS winning and Alabubba and the Swamp Lizzards lossing!

FWBVol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

D Moore will he be drafted in the first 3 rounds? Why not?

There was a recruiting story on here yesterday or this morning that said there weren't going to be any official visitors on campus today because of the holiday weekend and the logistics involved. Next weekend they are bringing in several kids.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Haha too funny man! Gittyup we going bowling!!!

10SE writes:

Four weeks ago, I wouldn't have given a nickel for our chances to be 6-6. Nice turnaround. Now lets get this ship turned around. I miss being relevant.

volnbig11land writes:

Go Vols!

OakRidgeBredNashvilleVol writes:

I can't remember the last time I had this much fun on a long football weekend. First Cam n co shut down Bama. Then Nevada upset Boise St. Then our Vols won. Then FSU upset the gators and AR beat LSU. Too bad Clemson can't find a way to win and OSU beat a subpar MI. I hate Notre Dame but against USC, I'm a ND fan!! Go Irish!! Oh and our basketball Vols took it to the house too. Yes, I am in sports heaven. Oh PLZ let us play in the Music City Bowl so I can drive down the street to see us play! I wanna see Nick and DeNarius play one more time. Great win Vols. Randall who?

PUL4VOLS writes:

The only streak right now for Jokerman is 0-1 versus Tennessee as head coach. I like it and hope we add a lot more numbers behind his 0. GO BIG ORANGE! I really was concerned this might be the one we let get away. You guys proved my concerns were in vain. I REALLY Like that!

slipshuck writes:

that was a nice catch today by coach dooley...he's still got good hands...considering the circumstances, he and his staff did an awesome job this year...my hat is off to them and their players...

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

Why did they get rid of the barrel?

james#216392 writes:

Vols fans in Berea, KY are loving the win and loving the game Luke Stocker had. When Luke went to TN, we weren't sure he would help them. He has made a very good player and today was outstanding. The block in front of Poole for the tocudown and the hit he delivered to Guy were outstanding. Being a life long Vol's fan I loved it. A lot of Stocker fans here would like him to have a good game but KY to win. He has a younger brother two years away. Go Vols.

newportvol writes:

bama fl lsu all loose while Tn wins and the mens bball brings back a trophy.. Great week to be a vol fan!

sambad writes:

If only USC can drop one now. That would make for a perfect weekend.

Go4Two writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

too bad you're mom allow you to use her computer.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to shorttail:

I suggested the same during the game. Our offensive line is not the best but Poole has trouble getting past the first wave. He cannot make quick adjustments. Now, if he gets through, he accelerates quickly, but on 3rd and 1, you need to be able to shift a little left or right and punch through.

During the game, he also failed to make a left cut to follow a blocker. That would have been 6. He followed that by slipping and falling a yard short of the marker. We promptly threw an INT.

With Poole, it is a solid gain or a loss. And, he gets tripped up easily like Reggie Cobb did early on. I am not bashing, but we need to upgrade our running game.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to sambad:

If only USC can drop one now. That would make for a perfect weekend.

Why the heck would you root for the SEC to lose to the ACC? I love beating our rivals, but I never want any SEC team to lose to a non-SEC team.

ThirdSaturdayInOctober writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Why did they get rid of the barrel?

Alcohol related death of kentucky football player following motor vehicle accident around 1999. Out of respect for the feeling of many following this, the beer barrel was discontinued.

DooleysOrangePants writes:

where are the trolls? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
26 baby
keep making predictions. you know who im talkin to.

RichmondKyVol writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Why did they get rid of the barrel?

Because a Kentucky player died in a drunk-driving accident just prior to the UT-UK game in 1998, Tim Couch's last season.

UTByrd writes:

in response to slipshuck:

HaHaHa! Did you read what CDD said in his interview about catching the errant pass. "Next, I'm going out there and catch some punts." He was talking about how easy it is to catch the dang thing. Too funny. Great win!
Go VOLS!!!!!

HtownVol writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

I think he meant the one that kid went to coach.

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I agree totally Naval! I'm sure going to miss our Seniors! Denarious Moore, Gerald Jones, Luke Stocker, Gerald Williams, Chris Walker, Nick Reveiz, Chad Cunningham, Daniel Lincoln, Lamarcus Thompson, Savion Frazier, Ben Martin and others I can't think of. Thanks for all the memories and for not letting it be ok to finish the season out without a bowl. Truly a special ending to a rough season. They Remember what you do in November! Now lets go to Nashville and make some noise and win the Music City Bowl! GBO!

britt writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

pretty sure hes meaning so cal. lets not forget hopefully ga tech over uga

shorttail writes:

in response to Navalorange:

I think the whole team improved during the season, i'm hoping the o-line gains a few pounds, but i would like a running back simular to alabamas' RBs. This win should be for recruiting ------ GO VOLS ---

RaineyVol writes:

YESSSIIRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! we have an awesome future!!!!! you know its all good when everyone is catching passes... even Coach Dooley!

Volborn writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I was in Lexington the day after UK beat Spurrier. I was listening to the call in show on Sunday, and every caller talked about how they were going to end the streak this year...ROFLMAO. I guess 2-6 in the conference just proved that SC suffered a serious letdown after beating Alabubba.

OrangePride writes:

in response to shorttail:

I hear you on a good power runner, but Poole's short yardage issues is due as much to the young (and somewhat undersized) line. It will get better and Poole really stepped up and go important yards at the end of the game. GREAT GAME VOLS!

Laydbakvol writes:

Might as well go ahead and print up the T-shirts for next year..."527"

Volborn writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Why did they get rid of the barrel?

A few years ago, I a UK player was killed while driving under the influence(during the season I think). I can't remember if it was before or after the UT game, but I think both schools decided a beer barrel exchange would have been in poor taste. It hasn't been seen since.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

Where is shen, gatorz/dc and candygrad

Volborn writes:

in response to james#216392:

I hope the Colts draft him. He is a heckuva player. That catch he made in the Bama game last year was the play of his career. If we could have blocked for Lincoln, Alabubba would be short 1 NC.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

They quit calling it the beer barrel after a UK student was killed in an alcohol related accident the week of the game a few years back. I think they started calling it the ice water barrel or something and then just did away with it.

Brillovol writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

Why did they get rid of the barrel?

Because of a couple of UK players who died while driving drunk back in the 90's. I thought it was a shame to see it go too. It's the only real rivalry trophy we had. I guess I kinda understand it, but that don't mean I like it.

Brillovol writes:

in response to Fryinpansvols:

I'll second that one to the seniors.

*tear*

Y10 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Hats off to hard working seniors.

You are correct TommyJack, as usual.......Thanks to the Nick Revizs, Chris Walkers, Gerald Williams, and many more who endured what they have in their careers and never quit. YOU have solidifed what the face of this program will be in a few years...

vol_4_fan writes:

It is nice to see all of the love for CDD and the whole Vol team. Great coaching job this year to get to this point. Now let's go win a bowl game!Go Vols!

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Let me add to your list...Randy Shannon just got fired by Miami which very well may be the final straw in helping us land Marcus Johnson, the big 4 star O-Lineman that is currently committed to Miami, but loved his visit to Tennessee.

vol_4_fan writes:

in response to Plasticman:

6. USC and their coach lose again.

Go Vols!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to vol_4_fan:

6. USC and their coach lose again.

Go Vols!

7. Knoxville's own Harrison Smith makes the game saving interception to seal the Liar Surfer Dude's fate.

Gotta love the irony...

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

I wonder if there's not more to the story. He sure didn't look hesitant or gimpy against Bama, Florida, or Oregon. I wonder if he's either banged up, frustrated, or just trying too hard to make a special play given the O-line's difficulties opening up holes for him from time to time. I'm a bit concerned that Chaney doesn't appear committed to a power run game. You'll win a lot of SEC games throwing it all over the field but you won't win the biggest ones unless you can impose your will on your opponent with a bruising run game. Maybe with an improved O-line next season we can run more but it seems at this point that Chaney is content to let Tyler sit back and throw it 40 times a game. I'm a little worried about that as a long-term offensive strategy in the SEC. Go Vols!!!

britt writes:

Woohoo. Vols going bowling!! Kiffin...not so much :)

tnvols10 writes: