Kyler Kerbyson, Devrin Young get special attention from Derek Dooley, Jim Chaney

Catholic HS lineman and Tennessee commitment Kyler Kerbyson

MURFREESBORO - Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney stopped in early Monday morning at the home of Bearden High School running back Devrin Young before the UT commitment left to receive his Class AAA Mr. Football back trophy at a ceremony in Murfreesboro.

Another commitment, Catholic lineman Kyler Kerbyson, who won Class AAA Mr. Football lineman, said Chaney was expected over for dinner tonight.

"It's the second night coaches can do that," said the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Kerbyson. "(Offensive line) coach (Harry) Hiestand has been calling me almost every night. It's been great. I've been in a lot of contact with them."

Kerbyson graded out at better than 90 percent this season and did not allow a sack in 307 pass attempts.

But as dominant as he was on the offense for the Irish, he was equally effective on the defensive line, where he piled up 88 tackles, 24 tackles for loss and five sacks in 12 games.

While he's heard from plenty of his high school coaches and fans that he could play defense for Tennessee, he's yet to hear that idea from the coaching staff.

"So, I guess I'm stuck on offense," he said with a laugh.

Young, decked out in an orange-and-white striped neck tie, said Dooley and Chaney spoke to him about "the future and expectations" for him at Tennessee.

"They explained some of plans they have for me," said Young, who had 42 touchdowns and more than 3,000 all-purpose yards as a senior. "The biggest conversation was about what it's going to take for me to get on the field - obviously, working hard and soaking up as much as I can and adapting to the program."

Young was impressed by Tennessee winning its final four games to reach the 6-6 mark and become bowl-eligible, citing the players' hearts and coaching of Dooley to keep them focused.

Kerbyson attended every Tennessee home game this season, leaving the final one - a 24-14 win over Kentucky - inspired about next season.

He will not enroll early, he said, but will be at Tennessee's spring practices.

"It's great progress," he said. "I'm really proud of all the guys. Tyler Bray looks really amazing right now (at quarterback). He looks like he's on track. I can't wait until next year, when I start working with him and being able to block for the guy."

Kerbyson added - in jest - that there was a piece of him that wished some of the new offensive linemen hadn't progressed so quickly, so he may have a chance at plenty of early playing time.

"A little bit," he said with a laugh. "because that's just the competitive nature in me. But I'm really excited for them.

"It's really not that big of a deal for me to play. I just want to win. I want the best people out there for us to win. I don't want to be selfish, and it be about me, me, me. I want our team to win."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

dgcarter43 writes:

This coaching team is recruiting team players and players with character. The future looks bright for the Vols. I believe that in the 2012 season, UT will be very competetive with everyone in the SEC. I still say 8-4 next year.

thevoice writes:

I like these guys, both of them. As far as I'm concerned, they can play for the Vols any day. Both have a great attitude. Not "me" but "team."

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

I am loving all of this good news!

iadvol writes:

Dooley has done an outstanding job with this team. Proud and glad we have him at UTK.

Prostar writes:

CDD and CJC are not spending this much time on the 2 to have them ride the pine next year. Both will see the field and Kerbyson will rotate on the OL to keep fresh bodies in the game. I'm already looking forward to the O&W game and next fall. Time goes by quick enough but I'm excited. GBO

Voluvr writes:

The last paragraph says it all about this recruit.
Also, Markeith Ambles wanting to come back and heresay of 4 or 5 top recruits, verbal, not yet announced.

phillip writes:

in response to Voluvr:

The last paragraph says it all about this recruit.

Do you have a source on that info? Please share

HtownVol writes:

So Kyberson is having dinner with his coach of next year, I wonder if coach is recomending any kind of diet for weight gain?

I seen somewhere on here yesterday someone say out O-Line is undersized??? Isnt James 6'6 320+, Stone 6'5 310 and the Illinois kid 6'4 330+? If so thats far from undersized. With Kyberson and Posey 6'5 300+, I think our O-Line is well in size and talent for the next 4 years (assuming we add a couple more). I am not sold on the Tn HS OL, only b/c of Kevin Revis, both ranked top 10 OC and both about 6'4 275. I know that has nothing to dowith his talent but I am just holding judgment on him. Posey and Kyberson I am sure they will each end up starting in a couple years.

Any news on the OL from Memphis? We NEED him!

Also, Ben Martin..He will be allowed one more year, Right? He will help a lot, if so.

As much as Arnett and Dalls will help our WRs, I am excited about..
1 J Worley - please red-shirt and Simms hopefully wont leave cuz he wont start and he can back up and JW will be the starter his JR and SR year.
2. Coleman, Martin and Randolph - The secondary needs help and each of these DBs look like playmakers.
3. AJ Johnson - Hopefully not another J Askew (WHERE IS ASKEW???).
4. Downey - with Stocker leaving we need a good TE. Rivera has shown he is capable but not a star.
5. EVERYONE ELSE and the great ones not yet commited to UT! This staff is perfect for taking UT to the top. We will be back soon. Starting with another top 10 class this year!

GO VOLS!

givehim6 writes:

That is what I love about CDD enjoyed the weak ends win then Monday back at work this time on the recruiting trail. Do not worry Kerbyson linemen are always getting hurt you will see plenty of action in a back up role.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I like the thought of seeing Kerbyson and Young on the back of UT football jerseys next year. I expect to see both on the field at least some of the time.

MDiv writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Any news on the OL from Memphis? We NEED him!

As much as Arnett and Dalls will help our WRs, I am excited about..
3. AJ Johnson - Hopefully not another J Askew (WHERE IS ASKEW???).

GO VOLS!

When discussing young men who commit to play at UT, can we please do them the decency of getting their name right? It's Kerbyson. Before people get after me for pointing this out and being too picky, imagine being 18 years old and having someone who doesn't even know your name begin to comment on you.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to dgcarter43:

DGC43,

Looking ahead to 2011, I don't like to say this is a win, or that is a loss etc. This past season, considering what all we had to go through, the cards that were dealt etc, I hoped for better than 6-6, but also after the first 3 or 4 games, it seemed like what many were saying might come true.........as in 4-8. Still say the Ole Miss game was the turning point at the end of the season.

So, looking ahead the feeling I have is similar to yours, 8-4, maybe even better. Don't like the idea of losing those 3 good receivers, so others will have to step up.

CarlChilders writes:

If you've got that competitive nature young man, I'm sure you will be in the mix.

bigorange61 writes:

HTownvol, you probably meant "Downs" instead of "Downey" at tight end. If we could get Cameron Clear out of Memphis, he could also play tight end. Experts say he has to add more weight to play tackle, which is most likely where he will wind up. But you never know.

slipshuck writes:

i hope justin worley honors his committment,but i have a gut feeling,with the success that bray has had,that he may jump ship...worley isnt the kind of player that rides the bench well,and i dont think 2 years as a starter is the situation he is looking for......and i cant say i blame him as he is a competitor and great talent...should he honor his committment,things sure will get interesting as he is capable of giving bray a run for his money for the starting job...

PHAT_VOL writes:

What we are witnessing is the birth of another U.T. dynasty. This one is going to be large and more long lasting than any before it. One other thing how does moving Da'Rick Rogers to tailback sound?
GO VOLS !!

BigVolFaninSC writes:

Guys, I think everyone needs to take a deep breath of caution before predicting 8-9 wins for next year! I want to win them all just like every orange blooded fan, but realistically it could be 6-7 with all the young players that will have to be depended on. Their ability to learn quickly will determine how many wins we have. Remember, our schedule is always top heavy! Let's just be cautious and give the staff enough time to get the depth needed to compete in the SEC! We can dream about 9 wins, just expect 6-7 and be patient! GBO!

cloudodust writes:

Kerbyson hit the nail on the head regarding ---competition---. At the college level, one must excel in order to play. To excel means to compete for play time. To compete means one betters themselves in many ways. To win out and/or push others for the position makes the TEAM and the individuals stronger. At the college level vs the pros or high school, it's about TEAM. Practice hard, play hard. And take a tip from those that have gone before you : Keep it real and stay out of trouble...GBO

bluetick writes:

in response to dgcarter43:

Good call. I agree about 2012. Look at the roster of freshman and sophomores this year and it's easy to see what kind of line up we will have. Not to mention the incoming classes and those who are fast learners and good enough athletes to hit the field right away. It's going to be fun to watch!

stompintheswamp2 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

GERONIMO SPEAKS....

I like pie.

GERONIMO HAS SPOKEN

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to MDiv:

Very Picky....Imagine he's just one fan's voice out of millions. What percent of VOL fans even take the time to read this blog. Maybe 2 percent.

BigOrangeinCharge writes:

Someone earlier mentioned Brendan Downs. I watched that kid play twice this year for TN High. He's tall and lanky with good hands, but he's not a guy who's going to break a game open as a receiver. I don't see him as the second coming of Jason Witten or some of the other great TEs that Tennessee's got from NE TN, but he should be decent once he bulks up a little.

He would've had better numbers if Tennessee High had even a mediocre passing offense and QB, but he also spent way too much time lying on his back and limping around in both games I saw--I've got a bad feeling he might struggle with injuries to his lower body or maybe he just lacks toughness.

I couldn't tell much about his blocking from where I was, but most HS TEs really need a lot of work on that. I did notice that they didn't run sweeps behind him too much.

HtownVol writes:

Usually I click on VolQuest to spell the kids names right but I thought there were fans on here who would know who I was talking about. I knew I spelled their names wrong, I always spell Kerbyson-Kyberson... wrong. Come on Mdiv, I was sur you all knew who I meant. And if he were to read these comments I am quite certain that he sees his name spelled wrong all the time, you are the only one who got hurt by it.

BigOrange61, thanks for understanding what I meant. I am glad you can not be hurt by it unlike mr./mrs sensative Mdiv. Maybe he/she is a school teacher, but dont act like I am just hirting his feelings by spelling his name wrong. Gee, I thought grammer police were bad.

Anyway, I am happy these kids are Vols!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Trust me Kerbyson, if you can block you will play.

Welcome aboard.

gnm53108 writes:

Looks like two very good aditions to VOL nation.

Good work coach.

CCLC writes:

I hope they can graduate.
just sayin'

Ole Miss 61%
South Carolina 57%
Arkansas 55%
Tennessee 53%

gnm53108 writes:

CCLC

I've never had a problem with Georgia.Great tradition,rabid fans,and usually one heck of a football game each year.

You're starting to change my oppinion.

Huttdawg100 writes:

Pagan decommitted from Florida yesterday. Any news on him? Is RichRollin still around?

Volunatic writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Black Elk speaks

Custer is big meanie.

Black Elk has spoken.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Huttdawg100:

He was really wanting to play for Dan McCarney (now HC at N. TX). Pagan's leaders are now Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Oregon and Southern California.

FarmerVol writes:

Devrin may be the speedburner needed in the kick return (KO and punt)games we need DESPERATELY. Just hope he can stay healthy cause he ain't gonna be running over anybody on the field next year like he tried sometimes with the Bearden Bulldogs. Just sayin.

Huttdawg100 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I heard that he was really high on UT at one point. Did he lose interest?

CCLC writes:

in response to gnm53108:

CCLC

You're starting to change my oppinion.

Whoops! It was kinda of tongue in cheek. I apologize for being over the top. No offense.

FarmerVol writes:

in response to MDiv:

Great strides in the OL effort. Now what about the complete absense of a pass rush on the D side??? Even Pop Warner coaches know when you improve the sack numbers it improves the interception ratio. Improve the interception ratio, and it drops the long pass BIG gain completion rate. Improve the pass rush and it changes the way the offense plays. All of a sudden you see short dumps and screens instead of 5-6 yard short outs that turn into first downs every second play, especially when our secondary guys play 5-6 yards off the line and go backards on the hike. Man that is like saying throw it over here if you need 7 yards and 1st down. Where is the news on this?? We can't play at the tier 1 SEC level until this fundamential problem is solved imho.

OrangePride writes:

in response to CCLC:

I hope they can graduate.
just sayin'

SEC Graduation rates:
Vanderbilt 89%
Georgia 68%
Florida 67%
Alabama 67%
LSU 67%
Mississippi State 64%
Auburn 63%
Kentucky 63%
Ole Miss 61%
South Carolina 57%
Arkansas 55%
Tennessee 53%

Agree wholehearedly CCLC. The degree at the end of your playing days is HUGE and, at least should be, the real reason for coming to the university. That said, I think the NCAA should modify it's rules so that IF a person leaves early for NFL (like Eric Berry) or transfers to another legitimate school (Bryce Brown) AND they were in academic good standing at the time, then that should not count against you as a "non-graduating" person. I don't know that Tennessee would move up the list much because all the schools have the same issue, it would just be more accurate. I mean 47% of our players do not drop out of school. Dooley will get this turned around, just wait and see.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I could be mistaken, but I believe if a player transfers, it doesnt count against UT as long as they graduate. I dont really agree that a player leaving early for the NFL shouldnt be counted though. They left without graduating just like the rest. It doesnt really matter that they left to make millions. Those players are only a very small % of players so it wont affect the graduation rate that much anyway.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to CCLC:

That post wasn't over the top...But you coming to a VOL site with no other objective than to anoy the bama out of Vol fans is.

CCLC writes:

in response to gnm53108:

I think you may have a chip on your shoulder. Maybe your just a little sensitive. Graduation is important... not only to the players but for school pride as well. I didn't make those stats up. It was a reasonable post but I did try and mollify you somewhat. I see that you are determined to object to anything I may post. Thats....Bullbama.... to borrow a phrase.
just sayin'

vol88 writes:

in response to slaw_way:

Exactly. We have to recruit globally, but we absolutely must have a nucleus of kids who grew up dreaming of wearing the T on their helmets, like Reveiz. It's still a school, even in today's big business climate.

CCLC writes:

in response to vol88:

good luck with that..but I don't think your gonna get too many Div 1 players from China to come play for you.
just sayin'

OrangePride writes:

in response to orangeman1:

Really. You might be correct on that, although I thought I heard on one of the talk shows that transfer outs did count against you. As for the NFL question, I will have to think about it a bit more. Like you said, it's a small percentage. But either way, our numbers need to come up and I am hopeful Dooley will turn it around. In addition to whatever is done once they get here, a lot of graduation success has to do with the quality of character in the athlete you offer and their academic readiness.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to CCLC:

just sayin'

No chip.

Just thought you might want to know that you're changing the perception that alot of Vol fans have reguarding georgia fans.I'll try to just skip anything you post from now on and and not steriotype the rest of georgia fans with your behavior.

ps...you can borrow "Bullbama" anytime.

in response to OrangePride:

Ditto to all. The only thing I would add is that UT HAS had more program turbulence than many of those other schools. Over the most recent four-year period that the graduation rates consider, I think I read that UT lost something like 30 players--more than an entire recruiting class--to various kinds of attrition, relatively few of which were due to academics.

CCLC writes:

in response to gnm53108:

No chip.

ps...you can borrow "Bullbama" anytime.

Goodness, are we cross? You know if I thought we were cross I don't believe I could post again.
You rather naive if you believe one Vol fan will be swayed by how positive I post. As far as any "stereotypes" ( your grad rate is showing here) I do believe we are a heated rivalry ....one that Tennessee can only muster with Georgia players as well as a Georgia grown Head Coach.
Now are we better? Now we can be friends again!
just sayin'

in response to FarmerVol:

No question we need both O-linemen AND D-linemen. I agree with what you said about upgrading our pass rush. Still, an upgraded O-line helps the defense in several ways also.

For one thing, a good/great O-line usually translates into longer, more successful scoring drives, i.e., more TDs and fewer FGs. The opposing offense not only has less game time to work in, it plays from worse field position and it is playing from behind in the score and has to take more chances.

For another, long drives mean more time for your own defense to rest, leaving them fresher, less dependent on their own depth, and able to play at their highest level when they ARE on the field.

There may be many reasons why UT has had more success recently recruiting O-linemen than D-linemen, but I think it is all to the good that at least ONE of the lines is going to be better and deeper next year than we have had in some time.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Hehe

For some reason this doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks pl3

CCLC writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Word..and you're not guilty of that are you???
just sayin'

FarmerVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agree a better OL will help the DL rest and logically would help. 3 and out hurts the DL more than the OL, BUT, in our case, it is a lack of size, speed, and mean old dog fight bite. Against KY it looked like the DL was dancing with the Kitten OL instead of pounding them off the line. OK, I'm off the soap box. It could just be Wilcox doesn't like a fullout rush cause he sure don't do the blitzin thing.

Vols4Braves writes:

in response to Voluvr:

The last paragraph says it all about this recruit.

Please let this be true!!!! Could you imagine??? We are already stacked with young potential talent, but he would still be a HUGE addition! Go Vols!

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Hence the glaring absence of DC, zz and SEC1 lately.