Dooley wanted to 'win it on offense'

Tennesse quarterback Matt Simms scores a touchdown against LSU at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. on Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010. UT lost the game 16-14 after a defensive penalty in the final play of the game.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Game Recap: UT vs. LSU

BATON ROUGE, La. - Derek Dooley didn't feel comfortable sending injured kicker Daniel Lincoln on to the field Saturday, and Lincoln, Dooley said, wasn't comfortable with it, either.

Enter true freshman Michael Palardy, whose full-time kicking debut ended with one miss and one big "What if?"

One quarter after Palardy missed a 45-yard attempt wide right, Tennessee faced fourth-and-1 on LSU's 31-yard line with less than 5 minutes to play. Instead of attempting a 48-yard field goal, Dooley opted to go for a first down.

Running back Tauren Poole, though, was stuffed in the backfield, giving the ball back to LSU for what ended up becoming its game-winning final possession.

"It was a long field goal, we were up three," Dooley said. "You're fighting and it's 1 yard. I just felt like that was the right thing. Win it on offense, man. And we just got whipped."

Dooley said Lincoln, a senior, injured his groin during Thursday's practice. He largely commended Palardy, who knocked through both of the Vols' extra points, and also second-guessed himself for calling a pass, which ended with Matt Simms sacked for a loss, instead of running the ball on third down to set up Palardy for a closer attempt in the third quarter.

Jonesing For First Downs: Maybe the return of senior receiver Gerald Jones from a broken bone in his hand was all it took.

Suddenly the third-down issues that have plagued the Vols all season weren't quite so difficult to manage with a steady target for Simms to hook up with - which he did for three of their seven conversions.

"I think I did well, played very physical, and I wasn't even worried about the hand," Jones said. "I played very physical, but you know, most of the times we were (so close) to making that big play.

"I was beating my man all night, but they were blitzing and hitting us from every angle, we couldn't get the ball off, couldn't protect Matt. If we just had an extra second, game probably could have went a whole other way."

Suggestion Box: Dooley clearly wasn't in much mood to reminisce about his time at LSU, but he was prompted for a response by a member of the Louisiana media corps anyway.

So the Vols' first-year coach broke down seemingly everything he saw at Tiger Stadium.

"It's a good team we played, what do you want me to say?" Dooley said. "It's a big stadium, they've got a nice video board, the band was playing a little bit, they've got new skyboxes that are really nice, the seats were the same. The field was a lot better - they've improved their grass, so kudos to their administration for that.

"The eye hadn't ruined the field with the paint, that was a problem in the past. They've still got the old goalposts, that's a tradition here. They've only replaced one of the video boards, so they need to fix that other one."

Keeping It Close: LSU's last-second victory continued a trend in the series.

The last three games between the Tigers and Vols have been decided by a total of nine points.

LSU rallied to beat the Vols 28-24 in 2006, and UT overcame a 21-0 deficit to top LSU in overtime 30-27.

Louisiana Impact: The Vols got a big boost on defense from Louisiana recruits.

Linebacker Herman Lathers of Baton Rouge had 10 tackles. Safety Prentiss Waggner of Clinton, La., had eight tackles and broke up a pass. Safety Janzen Jackson of Lake Charles had seven tackles and an interception, which he returned 14 yards.

Peterson Upstaged: LSU's Patrick Peterson, who ranks second in the country in punt returns, not only was contained by UT's special teams; he was upstaged by the Vols' Eric Gordon.

Gordon had a 21-yard punt return and two kick returns for 60 yards.

Peterson averaged 10 yards on three punt returns and 21.3 yards on three kick returns.

Austin Ward and John Adams contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

mikethehistorystudent writes:

So, we Lincoln plays do we win the game?

mdvol writes:

If I could meet the team at the airport….I WOULD!

Fought your guts out, Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

agohn writes:

Would have won the game had we just qb sneaked it. So tired of coaches trying to out smart the other coach. Awesome 4th and 14 that D gave up to. I can not wait til this season is over. Need some more depth to play with the big boys. Believe in Orange.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

That comment was weak, as I was in a hurry to be the first one to post. Yes, we should have run the ball on that one, but I'm not too mad about the call. I am mad that Simms dropped so far back before falling down. I do think if Lincoln were in the game it would have really changed things. I don't know if we would have won, but thinking that we would have is not a stretch.

BigBadVol writes:

Giving up the 4th and 14 was bad. How in the hell do you let that happen?

agohn writes:

in response to mdvol:

If I could meet the team at the airport….I WOULD!

Fought your guts out, Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

You are drinking some seriously spike koolaide. You are delusional if you think this group of freshman and sophomores with no depth is going to beat Alabama. No way. Just stop saying that you are making yourself look like a fool. Give it a couple of years than talk about that. I'm all Vol but I take Alabama 42-7.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Giving up the 4th and 14 was bad. How in the hell do you let that happen?

I threw my hat across the room when that happened and if I hadn't been watching my daughter I would have done much worse. We should have won the game right there and not even be discussing Lincoln.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to unleashedslimsmokey:

You're a fruit loop. Good coaching is the reason we were in the game. Even the announcers said they expected it to be a blowout after that first play, but Dooley had this team ready to fight. GO CDD and ROCKY FREAKIN TOP!

abnerPeabody writes:

Alabama 31 Florida 6.How about that Florida loud mouths.Looks like Alabama is the one that reloads.Meyer showed he can't coach without Tbow.

mikethehistorystudent writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Florida stock is falling and the recruits in Florida will start looking at FSU and Miami. With any luck, we will be able to pull one or two out of Florida to build our 2014 national championship team.

hdhurst writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

Mike, the most important thing is you were the first one to post. It brings so much relevance to the rest of your post. Way to go man, I am so proud of you!

jarvol writes:

Anybody's 3rd down issues get cleared up when they play against 3rd and Chavis. Unfortunately we now have 4th and Wilcox. Coaching was atrocious down the stretch. Man up and take the blame Dooley instead of blaming your players, officials and acting like a jackleg lawyer. Dooley throwing his headset at the ground numerous times and stomping around like a brat makes Kiffin look downright mature.

Hugevolfan24 writes:

in response to unleashedslimsmokey:

Coaching got us the place to win it in the first place. Who do you think got them playing like they did. I'm very happy with the effort. Go vols!!!

abnermc writes:

in response to back2z1:

You best worry abt S.C. & LSU for now. It's a long time til Dec. Remember 2007?

volpreacher writes:

in response to agohn:

I don't drink and I think UT will upset Alabama. UT will beat GA next week have a week off and Alabama will come in with attitude we have this one and UT pulls it off. I have to believe, I'm a fan. If UT people will fill the stadium instead of letting the Alabubba people have tickets, then we are the crazy ones.

Tennacious writes:

The coaches had a decent game plan. The players executed pretty well, especially considering they were on the road. But the coaches need to acknowledge that the 4th and 14 no blitz was all on them. And the 13 players on the field at the end when you really should stick with your goal line eleven in tight time situations, also contributed to the loss. Blame the refs if you want, but as it played out with that bad snap, we win with only six on the field...

Own it coaches, do better next time.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to Hugevolfan24:

huge, that is what burns the most....
you feel like we where well-prepared, played hard, made good plays, but:
-Simms sack prior to FG
-4th and short ... draw??
-4th and 14...no pressure?

and of course the 13 men on the field.

Coaches ask the players to be perfect...they have to be perfect, too. we ain't rolling out a pro team on the field, and we have to make our breaks count.

BTW: we benefited from LSU being idiots: if they run every play, we are toast.

OldNumber7 writes:

1) Great job Eric Gordon
2) Kudos to Dooley for his comments to the Louisiana media....that is hillarious!
3) Hat's off to the coaches - I think this team's improving each week.
4) Boo-hiss to the coaches - you blew it. And when your freshman kicker is the best in the country you must give him opportunities - not shy away from him. And for the record, there were 2 field goal opportunties in his range where the coaches went for it on 4th down. You MUST be smart, line him up, and get points! I bet he would have been 1 of 3! Come on Dooley and guys...field goals win in this league! (unless you're Florida in Tuscaloosa)

DooleysOrangePants writes:

in response to back2z1:

ill be watching south carolina and bama in the sec championship. i guess you'll be playing uf/bama on xbox.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to jarvol:

Actually the equipment throwing reminded me of a former Gator coach gone NFL and now at SC. Can you guess who I am talking about. I hope the head gear belonged to LSU, that could get expensive replacing audio electronics (SS just took it out on the visor most of the time). I can remember when the Gator fans were ragged about Steve The Throwing Machine, now I guess we Vol fans have our own version, it does look a little childish much like a golfer blaming the club for a poor swing and throwing the club.

TommyJack writes:

I can forgive CDD for throwing the head-set. After all, he:
1. came within a whisker of beating the top 10
team in America. (actually top 5 in talent)
2. Did this in the most hostile environment this
side of Falusa.
3. Did it with walk-ons, 3 stars, frosh.

Yeah, there may have been some poor coaching here. But most of it was committed by Miles.

We STILL have the worst fans in America.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I can forgive CDD for throwing the head-set. After all, he:
1. came within a whisker of beating the top 10
team in America. (actually top 5 in talent)
2. Did this in the most hostile environment this
side of Falusa.
3. Did it with walk-ons, 3 stars, frosh.

We STILL have the worst fans in America.

T.J, you have an enviable way of cutting through the muck.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to unleashedslimsmokey:

Slim ,only thing lost , is your MIND.DA.

TKO writes:

Players play, coaches count. coaches own this

jbocap writes:

A tough loss pill to swallow...but I like what I see from this team...they are young & inexperienced...and they are growing & learning.
With this type of effort and fight, I believe we can beat S.C. and Georgia. GO VOLS !!!!

volsgirl writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

So, we Lincoln plays do we win the game?

volsgirl writes:

notthing againt Michael but u see freshman ......

volsgirl writes:

in response to jbocap:

yes sir we moving up with the big boy soon .......Go Vols ....I belive in you VOLS,coach DD will get better .....BEAT GA..

volsgirl writes:

in response to mdvol:

If I could meet the team at the airport….I WOULD!

Fought your guts out, Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

YES SIR U CAN SAY THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN

DolfanVolfan writes:

We are getting better every week.

OwensboroVol writes:

I commend Coach Dooley for the calls. I've watch for 48 years while the coaches took the "SAFE" way. How many times did I think how easy it would have been to have done something like a fake field goal or something and get the first down. Last year we were in a similar situation at Alabama and had 2 field goals blocked. How easy would we have scored on a fake on that last kick? Kiffen made the SAFE call with an injured kicker and it was blocked and we lost. I recorded the game. I've watched it a hundred times and Alabama was rushing everyone. The only way a fake didn't go for a TD is if the receiver just dropped the ball. I LOVE THIS TEAM. These kids are fighters and I don't care if they win another one. I love the effort they give. We could have been National Champions no telling how many times in the 90's if those teams had given anywhere close to the effort of these kids.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to mdvol:

If I could meet the team at the airport….I WOULD!

Fought your guts out, Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

Beating Bama in Neyland would indeed upset some people.
But I gotta be honest with you, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

tdforvols writes:

I agree with going for it on 4th down but the draw play to Poole? Everybody in the world was expecting that call and the Tigers stuffed it. Should have called a quick out pass which would have been wide open.

givehim6 writes:

in response to mikethehistorystudent:

So, we Lincoln plays do we win the game?

Well lets see if Lincoln hows been hot this year had of kicked it we might have made it. But Palardy missed it. Final score 16-14 if field goals made 17-16 we win!

rockytopatl writes:

in response to tdforvols:

No, that's as bad a call as the pass on 2nd and 2. The proper 4th down call was a QB sneak on a quick count. We needed less than a yard.

psychovol2 writes:

Gerald Jones backed up his talk and Eric Gordon helped. Lincoln get your groin massaged and get that mohawk back on the field for UGA.

I love the mohawks and the tude of this team. Put this one behind you guys and keep trudging through the SEC making a name for yourselves.

OrangePride writes:

in response to unleashedslimsmokey:

Understand your frustration Slim, but that said, keep in mind that "coaching" involves more than just substitution issues. It's getting the team ready to play, shuffling lineups to fill holes, making sure the fundamentals of the game are sound, etc. If you look at the kind and number of athletes we have,as compared to any of our SEC foes except Vandy, then the quality of the coaching job takes on a better light. But we all feel your pain. A gutwrenching loss!

Colliervol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I can forgive CDD for throwing the head-set. After all, he:
1. came within a whisker of beating the top 10
team in America. (actually top 5 in talent)
2. Did this in the most hostile environment this
side of Falusa.
3. Did it with walk-ons, 3 stars, frosh.

We STILL have the worst fans in America.

Ditto TJ. Some of these "fans" (and I use the term loosely) have no clue what the atmosphere at Death Valley is like. I was there yesterday and it was bedlam of the first order. I don't blame Dooley one bit. To get that close to a monumental upset and to have it ripped away is extremely frustrating and I'd have done more than throw a headset.

As to the call on 4th and 1, I might have gone with a sneak as well but you definitely try to end it right there. Even a field goal doesn't end it. And on a kick off, you kick to their All American return man. And he was due as we had bottled him up all day. But that only goes for so long with a guy like Peterson.

The only call I was really disappointed in was the 4th and 14 and we didn't send the house at Lee. He had trouble all day with rushers in his face and we let him sit there too long. I'm sure Dooley and Wilcox would like to have that call back.

gatorhator4eva writes:

in response to mdvol:

If I could meet the team at the airport….I WOULD!

Fought your guts out, Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

hey guy. stop quoting this nonsense. its a bad omen. we lost to florida already... remember your other quote...

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama or Florida in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

we havnt even beat an sec team this year. knucklehead.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Giving up the 4th and 14 was bad. How in the hell do you let that happen?

Ask Bama---'03 5ot game UT converts on 4th and 19.

nepperso#220348 writes:

Yeah relax guys. Don't blame Wilcox. He thought it was the right move to sub in 45 players and 18 fans on defense with time expiring. The old strength in numbers argument. What a joke this guy is. 3rd and Chavis yields to 4th and Wilcox.

nepperso#220348 writes:

I'll put it this way: If Wilcox was a coordinator in the National Football League and that happened, he would be job hunting by Monday night.

mborokyvol writes:

UT HAS MORE HEART!!! these young kids have shown that they have more talent than anyone in the country will give them credit for. as crushing as the loss to lsu was, i think it showed that UT CAN PLAY WITH ANY TEAM in the conference and possibly in the country! give'em hell vols, never let up!!!!

Vol_Ball_Fan writes:

For all of you complaining about them not blitzing on 4th and 14. Go watch the replay. We blitzed the entire series and got burned accross the middle because the line backers were on the blitz. I have no problem with them not blitzing. They were picking up the blocks so why not drop back into coverage. Its not like we are leading the SEC in sacks or something. Funny there is so much complaining about a game we should have never won in the first place.

Tamvol writes:

in response to nepperso#220348:

There were 3 guys draping this guy and he catches the pass. We blitzed on a long 3rd down and they got a first down. I know all of you who criticize are coaches. You all make a living from it. Unfortunately it is probably from a reclining chair and a six pack of embalming fluid and a carton of cancer. It is real easy to sit here and second guess hours after the game. Yes it was a mistake on the goal line. You make 120 plays on offense and defense in the game and maybe 6 or 7 are bad calls. Give it a break and go become comatose again.

volintexas writes:

Agree that coaching had us in the game, and admittedly, talent is down significantly on The Hill. However, the last time I checked, Coach Dooley and staff are paid A LOT of money to get the team ready to play and have them in the game. That is their job. We will lose our share at this talent level, but there is still enough there to compete, particularly against Miles who is truly clueless. How he blew the Katrina game is still a mystery to most LSU fans, and we could have had 2 people on the field and they still would have mismmanaged the clock and fumbled. When you have an opportunity, like the Vols did on Saturday, you have to take advantage. LSU had no reasonable facsimile for a passing game, and when we blitzed, they were overwhelmed. Giving up the fourth down was on the coaches because they needed to recognize that weakness. The substitution mistake was ridiculous. That ranks up there with Coach Battle's fake punt vs Georgia in 73, against, ironically, CDD's dad. Little Dooley should do what Bill Battle, who was only 31 at the time, did and take responsibility. If Dooley can show some maturity here, the team will learn an important lesson about accountability and that it starts at the top. Let's not get on Dooley for throwing a headset though. He has some passion, which was long missing under Fulmer, and perhaps inappropriately displayed by Kiffin. I used to love it when Johnny Majors would break his pointer on the coaches show over missed tackles like he was still out on the field. Passion is good, lack of accountability is not.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to volsgirl:

YES SIR U CAN SAY THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN

Don't worry.He will.

10SE writes:

Why not line up in the Wildcat formations?

BigOrange_supporter writes:

in response to jarvol:

Did you ever play organized sports, have you ever wanted to win real bad, apparently not. Support Dooley and the team or stay off here. What did you expect a 20 point UT win, get serious you big crybaby.

BigOrange_supporter writes: