Final: LSU 16, Vols 14

Tennesse defensive back Prentiss Waggner tries to stop LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson as he breaks loose for a touchdown on the first possession of the game at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La. on Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Game Recap: UT vs. LSU

BATON ROUGE, La. – A bizarre finish robbed Tennessee of the first signature win of the Derek Dooley era on Saturday.

LSU scored on a 1-yard run by Stevan Ridley as time ran out to win 16-14 at Tiger Stadium.

The Tigers were awarded an extra play after Tennessee was penalized for having 12 men on the field in a play on which they appeared to have stopped LSU with a fumble recovery on a botched snap.

Matt Simms had scored on a 3-yard keeper with 11:34 to play and put the Vols ahead 14-10.

UT (2-3, 0-2 SEC) goes to Georgia next week.

Tennessee made it into the half with a 7-7 deadlock against No. 12 LSU – after a start that couldn’t have been worse for the Vols.

On the first play after the kickoff, LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson ran 83 yards for a touchdown.

All he had to do was fake out UT safety Prentiss Waggner just beyond the line of scrimmage and there was no other Vol in tackling range.

With 14:43 still on the first-quarter clock, LSU led 7-0.

But Tennessee struck back, thwarting two LSU drives with turnovers and executing a 10-play scoring drive to tie the game.

Tauren Poole’s 1-yard touchdown at the end of the first quarter capped a 63-yard drive. Michael Palardy, subbing for Daniel Lincoln, kicked the PAT to tie it 7-7.

That’s where it stayed throughout the second quarter.

Janzen Jackson ended one LSU drive with an interception and another with a fumble recovery.

The Vols never penetrated into Tiger territory in the second quarter but Tennessee was no doubt happy to get to intermission on even ground.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

royrog#221514 writes:

UGH!!!

98memories writes:

The only team in America that would have had that call made on them!

orangevolman writes:

What?
What about the hold on Reviez? Where were the refs for that?

Volsfan94 writes:

THATS such f****** bs!

wigmeister writes:

What an ending. Outmanned, away from home, they played their hearts out. There are great things ahead for this program. This one hurt.

VolsToTheWall writes:

DUH FUUUUUH

imw8n4u writes:

roller coaster - I tried all game not to get too emotionally involved because I knew the let down was coming. I finally gave in an celebrated in utter jubilation, only to eventually have my greatest fears come true.

NoSirRee writes:

The blame for this one falls solely on the coaches

Punt_Formation_Leaverton writes:

A lot of people are going to come on here and talk bad about Coach Dooley.

No coach can walk into a program in decline, wave a magic wand, and restore things to the glory years. So far, he has done an unbelievable job with our young, inexperienced team. We hung in there with 3 top 10 teams now.

I see great promise in this program, and I think we'll be back in the top 10 just two short years from now.

This one hurt. This game confirms that freshman mistakes happen. It also confirms that Les Miles is a pompous jerk and a complete joke of a coach.

GBO

VolFaninDC writes:

Whatever, I forgot what it feels like to win big games anyway.

olozbal#646632 writes:

Worst loss I've seen as a UT fan. Against the worst coached team I've ever seen.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

2 broken remote controls later, this ending defies description....the worst way to lose a game; ever. LSU flung the egg off their face and hit the Vols.

VolintheRockies writes:

Not going to forget this one for a long time
Dam%!

ryanasaurus0077 writes:

Oh. My. Cow.

It's like the Tuck Rule game all over again.

Ironcity writes:

LSU lost it and then UT said no thank you. The coaches have to look in a mirror here because you can't blame youth here.

tulelakevol writes:

I have defended Wilcox, but this is INDEFENSIBLE!!!! Can they not count?

Punt_Formation_Leaverton writes:

I will say the coaches made some mistakes, but the blame goes both ways. We wouldn't have been in that situation at all if there had been some coverage on that 4th down.

Porterhouse writes:

Mark Richt loves God. But God loves Les Miles.

volsbandit writes:

Heartbreaking.....LSU was soooo lucky.

beaus27 writes:

Refs won't call Trey Burton knee down on the one yard line and give him the touch down.
Refs really are the 3rd team on the field.

LaneBrains writes:

Well, you all in Knoxville have a history of blaming the coaches.

I would say however, that The LaneBrains...Ed, Monte and me... would have never gone back on the field...we would have just keep running to the bus!

CLK

JBruce writes:

Shouldn't the ability to count to 12 be one of the job requirements to coach at TENNESSEE? Congrats to LSU for having coaches that can count! TENNESSEE FOOTBALL IS DEAD!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

Wilcox had everything right in front of him and watched 13 of his boys get on the field.... i'm normally not one to blame the coaches, but honestly, how do you not catch that??

VolFaninDC writes:

in response to Punt_Formation_Leaverton:

A lot of people are going to come on here and talk bad about Coach Dooley.

GBO

Saban did it.

CrankE writes:

Once again, SEC officiating at its finest.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

when I saw the last play, jumped in the air and was jumpin around, I was so happy, came out and told everyone that they won, I walked back into my room and saw 16-14, it was like the doctor told me someone important to me made it out of surgery and said, oh wait, he died. I wanna throw up

volmeat writes:

How does Les Miles still have his job?

ps11824 writes:

Is that a moral victory?

olozbal#646632 writes:

Once we calm down we'll realize we're rebuilding and this was a solid game plan, Matt Simms took it like a man, our special teams improved.

We were a 17 point dog and we came fighting. I'm still pissed but we've got new coaches and new players. LSU has no excuse.

SmokeyDayAfternoon writes:

I guess we are just destined to be screwed...

mdvol writes:

Fought your guts out Vols.
A win ripped from the hearts of our young team and FANS.

I love this team and we are going TAKE THIS FRUSTRATION OUT ON GEORGIA.

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

james#216392 writes:

Neither coach deserves to get paid this week. LSU mis-manages time and deserved to lose and our coaches bail them out. I would fire the coach who handles the subsitutions. That was totally stupid and they get paid huge money for this.

DingoVol writes:

Here's a question. If the refs had called an unsportsmanlike conduct on the LSU player that took off and threw his helmet 20 yards downfield, would the penalties have off set and the game ended?

bd writes:

Terrible offensive play calling all day -- especially the 4th and 1 call with less than 5 min to play...hats off to the defense although you have to bring pressure against a substandard qb on 4th and 14 with the game on the line---also, can someone please tell our db's to turn their head in coverage...if i'm another coach I throw at #10 all day (he should have remained a WR)--- dooley and his coaches again show they are 2nd tier -- you should never, ever be so confused on defense at the end of the game -- 13 players on the field is unexcusable and completely on the coaching staff...

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to FLVOL79:

The 4th and 14 pass and then the 'homer' pass interference call on Teague were big.

Hard to take. We were actually victimized in the end by LSU's complete lack of organization.

volsbandit writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

I have defended Wilcox, but this is INDEFENSIBLE!!!! Can they not count?

Welcome to the SEC Mr. Wilcox. This ain't Idaho.

nepperso#220348 writes:

I'm not searching for a silver lining, I'm not looking for a moral victory, I'm not defending any more idiot coaches. Tennessee football is a joke. A bad, bad, bad, joke. You have got to be kidding me. Way to go Wilcox, great time to substitute players moron.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to mlvol:

That's one of the defensive coaches or coordinator doing the substituting...he should have been prepared for a situation like that and had the players he wanted in that situation ready. That's NOT Dooley.

macgaz writes:

Wow, I can't decide if I'd rather lose by 40 or the way this one ended. Let's see if we come out flat or really pi**ed off against Georgia.

ETNTigerFan writes:

LSU has to be the luckiest team I've ever seen...

Titan writes:

Move over Lou Gehrig - the luckiest man on the face of the earth is coaching (if you can call it that) at LSU.

PEYDAY writes:

Very proud of the Vols! They played their hearts out and deserved the win.

Very disappointed in the coaching staff. Maybe if DD wasnt acting like my 4 year old throwing his headset around he would have known how many players were on the field.

govols1234567 writes:

Bull. Sh*t. The only words that explain this

volsbandit writes:

in response to DingoVol:

Hmmm... I saw that too.

grobin4300 writes:

How do you not BLITZ on 4th and 14...........I can even make that call !!

CrankE writes:

Was there a penalty flag on the field at all? I wonder if they missed any other penalties that could have been awarded on instant replay?

baton rouge, scene of the crime.

james#216392 writes:

in response to Punt_Formation_Leaverton:

A lot of people are going to come on here and talk bad about Coach Dooley.

GBO

Don't blame the freshamn. With time running so close, why even substitute? You got to be able to get your guys on and off the field. Even Pee Wee coaches can do that. This is bad coaches by the defensive sub coach.

rockytopatl writes:

in response to 98memories:

The only team in America that would have had that call made on them!

Oh come on, man. They had 13 guys on the field. You know the replay guys saw that.

cltvol writes:

illegal procedure by RT for LSU,,could have used that 1/2 yard on last play

InVAbutHeartInTN writes:

It definitely should have been offsetting penalties. LSU never got set before the snap of the ball...but, TN defense coaches blew the substitutions. Kudos to the players, one hell of a (moral) win.