Dooley: 'we didn't do our part'

Your thoughts after the Tennessee-LSU game:

See the results »

View previous polls »

The SEC office won't be hearing from Derek Dooley anytime soon.

Dooley said Sunday that he watched Saturday's chaotic next-to-last play, which featured 13 Vols defenders on the field and ultimately led to the team's 16-14 loss to LSU, "about 150 times." Dooley said the "administration maybe could have been a little different," in terms of how much time officials allowed the Vols to respond to LSU's frantic substitution.

At the end of the day, though, UT still had 13 players on the field.

"If I could say we did everything right on our end and the outcome didn't go our way, maybe I've got something to gripe about," Dooley said on his weekly teleconference. "But we're ultimately responsible for doing our part and we didn't do our part the way it needed to be done."

Twenty-four hours after the devastating loss, which dropped UT to 2-3 (0-2 SEC) as it prepares for Saturday's game at Georgia, Dooley said "everybody is hurting pretty good today, as they should be."

"We have to look at ourselves and see what we all could have done better to change the outcome of the game," Dooley said. "There were certainly a lot of things prior to the end we could have executed better.

"It's something you've got to learn from and be aware of. You've got to be able to handle it. Good teams handle it and we didn't."

jjsteel writes:

Hang in there coach. It'll mesh soon.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I got your back coach and your assistants as well..Things will get better and mesh soon, as the first poster said.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

The Dawgs are ours.

getasetofvols writes:

I'd rather lose with CDD than win with Les Miles. Go Vols.

vandysucks writes:

Hang in there coach. You guys did an amazing job in Baton Rouge.

huntined#565710 writes:

Was in GA hunting for this game and I think we lost this game on the 4th and about 14 and let them get a first down..it was a game we could and maybe should have won. GA fans are at a all time low so we may get them in GA.

BluezVol writes:

Last week - we won a game we should have lost (based on our play). This week - we lost a game we should have won (except on our play during the very first and very last play). I suppose in the final analysis it all evens out somehow. Even though I said it, the logic doesn't pacify. Nevertheless, I believe in CDD and what's he's assembling. We desparately need some OL and DL - recruit 10-15 of them in total. Simms seems to be a gamer. Where is Da'Rick?

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

Benn pulling for the Vols since 1968 at the ripe old age of 12. Seldom have I been prouder of the way they competed or more disappointed for (not in) them than yesterday. Go Vols, put it behind you and BEAT THE DOGS!

TKO writes:

Will not argue. Please settle down in these situations so sound decisions can be made and managed.

tulelakevol writes:

I am a Coach Derek Dooley fan, same with his assistants. Was I mad at defensive coaches? Yes. They will learn from this, and they will get on the right track. GA is just the tonic this team needs, I believe the coaches will have these guys ready for the trainwreck that is GA football right now.

SmokeyDayAfternoon writes:

in response to getasetofvols:

I'd rather lose with CDD than win with Les Miles. Go Vols.

I'd like to 2nd that.

Go Vols!

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

in response to getasetofvols:

I'd rather lose with CDD than win with Les Miles. Go Vols.

I'd rather lose w/CDD than lose w/Foolmore.

tensie2004 writes:

yes, we lost this game on the 4th and 14 play where we didn't put any pressure on their quarterback and gave him all day to find a reciever.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

This team is following Matt and Tauren.

CDD, get your job done. You are on a huge stage, you have to get your staff to step it up.

As a fan, I like the b@lls you display, and I like what I see on the field. Just take care of what matters.

tulelakevol writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

I'd rather lose w/CDD than lose w/Foolmore.

Good one

VOLFROMNC writes:

in response to getasetofvols:

I'd rather lose with CDD than win with Les Miles. Go Vols.

I completely agree.

10SE writes:

The loss began when we didn't make the 4th and 1. The 4th and 14 was another component. We had our chances. It just didn't work out.

Vols_fan_4ever writes:

I just got to ask this...what about number 53 for LSU...while the ball was still in play he took off his helmet and threw it on the ground...isn't that unsportsman like conduct??? Where is the flag for that??? At the most this should have been offsetting penalties would it not?...just asking...I know I have heard and saw where Tennesse's player number 42 took off his helmet a little bit after and threw his also but by then time had expired and the play was over and people were coming on the field.

brokebackvol writes:

Thank Heavens he didn't say "we're gonna work like heck and look at the film"

wbsmd1 writes:

With the current recruiting trend we need to enjoy close loses. We certainly will not have additional players like Janzen Jackson coming. It is not often the turnover ratio is so one-sided.

mdvol writes:

This young team learned it could win last Saturday. Special teams really emerged, our QB gets better each week, TP and GJ are back, we forced 4 turnovers....and it's gonna get worse for Georgia before it gets better!!!!

GEORGIA BETTER LOOK OUT!

We are going to surprise some damn people.
We will upset Alabama in Neyland.
Tear down the goal posts and carry Dooley off the field.

KENVOL writes:

Anybody know what is going on with Lincoln? For a kicker he sure is hurt a lot. I think with him we win.

volfaninohio writes:

I am a fan of CDD. But it just seems that Wilcox is clueless in the SEC. I know he was good at Boise State and I know we are young and lack depth. But I dont see adjustments and I haven't seen any improvements in five games.

vol88 writes:

I support CDD, his staff and the kids. We're coming back, and we'll be better than we were in the '90s.

volzcrushm writes:

OK!! I think we are starting to get it together. Too bad the schedule wasn't reversed. Here's hoping to win 6 out of 7 for a season record of 8-4. GBO!!!!!!

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

It's pure speculation that a blitz on fourth and fourteen would have produced better results. It may have resulted in a sack or an interception. Then again, if it were picked up and a receiver beat the resulting single coverage, it may have resulted in an L.S.U touchdown. My money says if that had been the case, the same people whining about this would be whining about that just as miserably.

InVAbutHeartInTN writes:

As I said in a post yesterday, concerning Chavis' "4th and LONG" defenses (which drove me batty), I will say the same for Wilcox's 4th and LONG debacle. Give me 4th and two and we maybe can stop anyone. 4th and LONG? Forget it.
Die-hard fan here, now and forever, but my goodness, dial up some blitzes.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

I am being patient with this coaching staff because I think we are headed in the right direction...With that being said, I would have to agree with you on Chaney because that exact series of plays you were referring to is my main reason for concern..He is really testing my patience, but I am really trying to give him the benefit of the doubt..Had we kept running Poole, we would have won that game, IMO.

I did agree with your other points as well,pl3..Another excellent post again.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to naffy:

Naffy, please. Even if what you said were true, that was more than a decade ago.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to naffy:

In a perfect world,Mr. Wonderful would kick in your door and clamp down on your pencil neck...You have your dreams and i'll have mine....nappy.

CoachFulmerFan writes:

So is it just me or did UT play it too safe at the end of the half when they had the ball, 1:30 or so and a timeout.. It just seems to me that they try and at least score. The defense had been effective against LSU the whole half. Some of Chaney's play calling left me scratching my head a few times. But at times it seemed genius. Wilcox seemed to have a good game plan except when it counted the most. Still an outside shot at the SEC east after the way FLorida played last night..

Stepchild_nFL writes:

in response to BluezVol:

Good Post. This has been my thoughts the past 24 hrs. This team and Coach Dooley have grown on me with thier heart and class.

12Hours writes:

in response to naffy:

Really? I didn't realize that Manning played on both sides of the ball and was the DC.
Last time I looked, our O put up some big numbers in those days. Unfortunately, our D let the opponents put up even bigger numbers.
I still recall the press talking about Manning vs Spurrier (or other coach)
Wasn't it suppose to be Fulmer and assistants vs Spurrier and assistants.
Manning vs the opposing Defense.
Seriously, wasn't the score one year at FL field something like 56 to 63. It's Peyton's fault the Vols gave up 63? Get real!!!!!!

cdldoc#211897 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

I'd rather lose w/CDD than lose w/Foolmore.

That just makes you 2 idiots losers.

volbob writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Completely agree. He-with-no-name called plays last year, don't know what Chaney was doing w/his time. With Chaney calling plays, not so sure what is going on. Running backs getting po'd by the turnstile offense isn't a good thing.

Mtnbiker writes:

I will give CDD and Wilcox time, I hope we keep everyone except Chaney. Unless he gets more creative.

Wilcox's first year in Boise his D wasn't outstanding, but it was good enough to compete each week. That's what we're doing Competing. So long as we're patient things will be Great. Program is making steady progress and this week they will be tested between the Hedges. I think we may dismantle GA or we could get lambasted by GA(doubtful). How will our team and Coaches respond to such a emotional swing? I think we'll do fine for our talent level. Next year we'll be top 15 Defense. 3rd year I think we'll be top 5. Just the way the system works. Takes time for everyone to learn it til it becomes second nature. Some learn faster than others, once they're all on the same page...we're set.

12Hours writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Exactly right!
Dooley explained that on his show this AM.
With our limited personnel and having already been burned by blitzing earlier, we were between a rock and a hard place on what to do.
The odds were best with the way it was played, we just didn't quite stop him before the sticks.
Dooley and Wilcox know what they've got and what they can risk more than we do.
Let him coach. We need to just be supportive.
If he has LSU talent and depth in a few years and coaches them as poorly as Miles, then we can call for his head.
But right now, he's doing a very good job with what he has to work with!
nd,I happen to believe we will be very pleased in a few years with where he takes us on and off the field!

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

On the last play did LSU have an illegal substitution? It seemed like LSU had about 13-14 guys on the field and then just ran them off late….as we were trying to match that substitution we had our own confusion. I would have thought that the call should have been an illegal substitution with a run off of time (:10 seconds) on LSU for a late substitution. Did any one think that was the case or am I just off base?

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

No problem. If that's the worst thing that happens to me today, it's gonna be a pretty damn good day.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

volfaninohio, I agree with you. Wilcox does not make adjustments. Maybe he does and our players do not execute the adjustments. If we can beat the Dawgs, we still have a chance to win six. If we do, the Music City will take us.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Spoken like the fan of a team that has already met its' quota of wins(and after only 1/3 of the season).
At Vandy : L.S.U 27;Vandy 3
At Red Stick : L.S.U 16; U.T 14

DERELICK_MY_VOLS writes:

in response to huntined#565710:

We lost this game on poor clock management on our last offensive possession....we should have been running the play clock to 1 instead of snapping it with 12+ seconds each time....just my opinion but we gave them the extra 30 seconds they needed to get down there to.....well....win.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to jcvet33:

Yes, it's all so simple. If only you'd been there to call the plays.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to Mtnbiker:

I agree...It definitely takes time and patience to get a program up and running once it has been down for a few years.

I,too, have concerns about Chaney, but will withhold my opinion on keeping him or not at least until the season is complete.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to naffy:

Don't want to blame it on the defense?
Me either. Let's blame it on Charlie Garner for losing two (2) (back-to-back) fumbles giving Florida the field position to mount a come back.
You do remember old 'Fumble Fingers' Garner, right?

VOLFORLIFE1974 writes:

in response to 10SE:

Everyone keeps harping on fourth and 14..am i mistaken in thinking that we essentially have one "string" on defense? No second and certainly no third string dictates that after being on the field for roughly two thirds of every game (up until yesterday, good job offense) that a blitz might've put us at an even worse disadvantage. Give us a couple of recruiting classes to fill our holes and this program will be a serious player on a national level. Great game boys! I've never been prouder to call myself a VOL FAN!!

FWBVol writes:

People that are complaining about Chaney's play calling aren't taking into consideration the number of freshmen and first-year players on the offensive line or the total number of young player.

If there were one or two rookies on offense it would be one thing, but half the starters...including the quarterback and center, weren't on campus this time a year ago.

Yes, it's Big Boy football in the SEC, but Chaney is with the players every day in practice and he knows what they are capable of doing.

On the fourth-and-one play it looked as if Poole had room to run if he had bounced it off left tackle rather than taking it into the center of the line. If he does that nobody is complaining about the call.

People forget that Poole has been on the bench for the last two years and missed most of last week's game with the high thigh bruise. I think with more playing time his instincts will sharpen and he'll break that same run to the outside.

It hurts to lose, but we took a team that was supposed to beat us by two touchdowns down to the wire and it took a pass interference call and 13 men on the field for LSU to beat us.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

I have no clue why a grad fron Vandy would be on here giving his 2 cents worth especially sinc ehis team has probably met their quota of wins(as another poster said).

Totally disagree with him when he said that we expect nothing of our coaches..That is a load of bull and he knows it because all he needs to do is read our posts and see our concerns and our realistic outlook(as a whole)...I know he reads them because he is on here ALL THE TIME.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE1974:

Outstanding post.
Outstanding Vol fan.
You, sir(or ma'am), have my admiration.

jobrando#216494 writes:

I would like Coach Dooley to have a TV show as did Coach Fulmer to here his comments on the film. Is this not an option?