Helmet explanation not a slam dunk

Swept up in the emotion that came with thinking his team had pulled off an improbable upset Saturday, Tennessee coach Derek Dooley said he was in no position to analyze who or whom was lacking proper headgear.

“You kidding me?” Dooley asked at his Monday press conference. “I’m ready to get off the field and get on the bus.”

Upon further review, Dooley wouldn’t admit nor deny that one of the clips he sent to the SEC office for extensive analysis was footage of LSU center T-Bob Hebert slamming his helmet in frustration while players fell on what was originally believed to be Saturday’s game-ending fumble.

“We turned in a lot of calls to the conference office,” Dooley said. “We do that every week, it’s not unique to this game.

“That’s not really something I can comment on or should comment on. Whether it should or shouldn’t. That’s something the conference can comment on.”

On the Barnhart and Durham radio show Monday, SEC coordinator of officials Rogers Redding said “several players on both teams had their helmets off” on the play, which ended with a penalty on Tennessee for having 13 players on the field. Allowed to run one more play because of the infraction, LSU scored from 1 yard out to win, 16-14.

“We’re always going to allow that immediate, initial, spontaneous burst of emotion,” Redding said. “These are teenagers that are playing a game that is very emotional.

“It would be so technical and so over-officiating to have called anything like that at the very end of the game.”

If LSU were to have been flagged for Hebert’s helmet toss, the game would not have been over.

Unsportsmanlike conduct, the general category in which Hebert’s helmet toss would fall into, is “a live-ball foul that is treated like a dead-ball foul,” Redding said, meaning that both penalties would have been independently enforced. The ball would have been first moved half the distance to the goal line for UT’s illegal participation penalty and then moved back 15 yards for the LSU infraction.

Because the game cannot end on a defensive penalty, LSU would have been allowed to run one more offensive play, just as it did to ultimately win the game.

Dooley and Redding disagreed slightly when each respectively ran through a synopsis of the play Monday.

Dooley said that two seconds elapsed between the time the umpire stepped over the ball to allow UT proper time to adjust to LSU’s substitutions and when he finally stepped away to allow Hebert to snap the ball with seven seconds to play. Redding said that the official gave UT four seconds to make the proper adjustments.

Earlier in the game, Dooley said he used a timeout because he believed his defense did not receive enough time to adjust to an LSU substitution. He said Monday that he asked the official if he could have his timeout back, but his request was denied.

Asked if he sent more clips than usual this week for the SEC office to examine, Dooley said “I don’t want to get into that.”

“There were 13 guys, that was the right call,” Dooley said. “We could have controlled the outcome of the game despite everything that happened and I won’t back down from that.”

Andrew Gribble can be reached at 865-342-6327.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

ncvol17 writes:

bummer..nuff said

Chris4Vols22 writes:

C'mon Dooley. Discipline.

volhome writes:

CDD is handling this exactly right. Rather than come out ranting and raving against the officials, he is presenting a series of questions to the SEC bozos (oops, make that officials) for clarification for us. Of course there could not have POSSIBLY been anything done incorrectly by the officials, so we ignorant hillbillies just need it explained to us.

Here's where CDD's law background comes into play. By not making the immediate accusations, he is avoiding the fines, and still getting the point across to the good ol' boys in the SEC clown-pool (oops, I mean office). GENIUS!

volnsc writes:

While I think DD will be a great coach, substitution errors in this situation are more serious than DD is explaining. Bottom line is UT, players and coaches, weren't prepared for the situation and the lack of preparation cost us the game. One can go back to the preceding four quarters and find shortcomings, but everything the team and coaching staff did during the game put them in position to win the game. The team and coaching staff will, hopefully, learn from this and the substitution problem will be a thing of the past. Get over it and go on, but don't downplay the lack of preparation.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

I've been yelling this at the top of my lungs. The refs did everything they could to let LSU in that game.

I want to know who made the call for the ref to come over and get on the headset after the game ended. I also noticed 3, not 1 but 3 LSU players sling their helmets, they did not take them off, one bounced 5 yards across the field, but not one single ref noticed helmets flying in the air? COMPLETE B.S.

Yes UT screwed up, but the refs were in LSU pockets from beginning to end.

What about that phantom pass interference call? Yeah guess they have an explanation for that one too. B.S.!!!!!!!

asif (Inactive) writes:

I have $10,000 in contributions wagered on whether Hamilton will do the right thing with the lawyer from New York that somehow became our commissioner.

If he doesn't, he can kiss my contribution, my six Terrace football and lower level basketball seats and all the other gifts to UT goodbye.

I'm not saying he has to obtain a reversal on the game. That would be like hitting a one iron within two feet of the hole.

I just think this Conference's leadership and officiating needs to be exposed for the laughable corn fertilizer it is. Exposed publicly and finally.

I know at least one of the officials Saturday was on the same crew that got suspended last year for the Arkansas/Florida debacle.

How long do we have to put up with this?

C'mon Mike, DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!

Hickmc writes:

And as usual the officials will bend over backward to protect their own. Just like the poor call for pass interference under Reddings response that should not have been called. Pass was uncatchable slight contact Teague's head was turning to find the ball. But they decided to determine the outcome of the game instead of leting the "kids" on the field.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Hey I've got an idea...why don't you go to a Vandy site (if there is one) and whine about your lack of a football program and leave Vols fans alone. We'll be fine.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

Hickmc writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Show's your lack of knowledge sir/ma'am. The call for 13 players on UT nullified the play meaning their was actually 1 second left on the clock. And guess what I recorded the game as well. Look at the LSU lineman who jumps prior to the snap. Looks like Illegal Procedure on the Offense.

WV_Vol writes:

Not a believer in "Moral Victories." I do like the direction this program is headed. May be a long way back, but I think Dooley is building something special. Does anyone in the world think Les Miles is NOT a total moron? That guy is the epitome of screwing up a one car funeral! Words can't describe how inept he is...

Hickmc writes:

in response to NadaVol:

FYI your Gators got Hammered..........

psychovol2 writes:

DD by not saying anything is saying volumes. His non talk is louder than any ranting he could do.

I work with LSU fans that apologized to me today. They know they got a gift and they know we have a better coach.

BigDaddy101 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I can't wait to see what you say when the Vols roll on Vandy. Write it down now "who's in whos backpocket?"

Hickmc writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Can't stand it can you...... We're coming back!!!!! It's on the horizon.... Are you scared?? I won't tell....Hahahahaha

Hickmc writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Still in denial.... That's the first stage.....

volpreacher writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Several questions. If you are a Vandy grad why are you tivoing UT games? Second, if you are a Vandy grad, how can you be sooooo dumb. It's explained in the article as most knowledgeable football fans already know. It's a "dead" ball foul meaning it occured not during the live play. geesh.

Hickmc writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Ok now your on to anger.... That's the next stage..... Let it out it only gets worse if you bottle it up.....

volpreacher writes:

in response to asif:

How long do we have to put up with this?

C'mon Mike, DO THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!!!

Have you made this known to Hamilton? I doubt he reads these.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

By the time Derek Dooley and Justin Wilcox finish their careers at UT, most Vol fans will be glad that we have them instead of Les Miles and John Chavis...Dooley will be a "Tennessee Legend" and Wilcox will be called a "Defensive Genius"..ALL these coaches need is TIME to turn the program around because they are CERTAINLY CAPABLE.

Hickmc writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Now your up to childish insults.... Hmm you are making good progress...... Gator Fan..... Lets it out...

tensie2004 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

What in the #ell do you know VandyGrad. I bet your a NERD and get beat up every time you go to the gym. Mind your own business, I believe Connecticut did a number on your dorks.

dvols writes:

upon further review....

eric gordon will now be the return guy

poole is legit

hunter is a playa

simms is good enough to go into death valley and not turn the ball over

2013!~we back!

OLEVOLFAN writes:

in response to NadaVol:

and you are a damned stupid moronic idiot!!!!

volpreacher writes:

For those interested, check out Bleacher Report: What really happened, the helmet debacle. It states there were no flags thrown, it came down from review booth and it also states there should have been a penalty for throwing helmet. At worst LSWHO should have had the ball on the 15 yd line.

Fryinpansvols writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

First, of all get lost Vandy! Your butt-kicking will come on November 20th! I've watched the replay of the end of the game on the internet what I saw was the Center #53 slam his helmet down to the ground when Jordan Jefferson was chasing the ball after he (#53 the Center) made a bad snap. Don't tell me he slammed his helmet after the fact because I watched it with my own two eyes. GBO!

GeneralNeyland96redux writes:

let's see how this works now....

asif (Inactive) writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Have you made this known to Hamilton? I doubt he reads these.

Excellent question.

I suspect Mike, unlike NADAVOL, is quite busy and probably hides from these postings.

I'm only on here because someone called me about the story and I had to be on a conference call anyway.

I'm not looking for any reversal, just some accountability from sleezy Slive.

I know the Vols will be AOK, and Mike will do the right thing. I only mentioned the $10K because that is (or used to be) the minimum fine for "questioning the authority of the S E C."

I actually remember when it was a game.....

Thanks for the post.

GeneralNeyland96redux writes:

Let's see...VandyGrad is still here, stirring the pot, and I'm having to get a new username for telling someone what I actually thought on Saturday night....fair?

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog:

I gotta agree with my fine furry friend. However I think Chavis is the now and Wilcox will be the future given the players he needs to run his type of defense.

smyrnavol writes:

you sound too much like a very unhappy gator fan, or a very nervous bama fan.

spvol writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Yes UT screwed up, but the refs were in LSU pockets from beginning to end.

Slive and the SEC protect their ranked teams to ensure the highest possible bowl payouts. That has been my contention ever since Slive took over.

Hickmc writes:

in response to BigOrangeSlim:

But wasn't it fun to see our 60 scholarship players make Big John and the LSU defense squirm!!!!

I think once we get a few recruiting classes under our belts and the players start understanding the sets coach Wilcox is using it will be FUN!!!!!

Go Big Orange!!!!

Hickmc writes:

in response to unleashedslimsmokey:

Now ya'll be nice to NadaVol he/she is going through some rough times right now (Gator Fan who go washed out by the Tide). Bless it's heart....

orangecountyvols writes:

Message to the 2 dominant trolls tonight:

NOT A vandy Grad and your fellow troll, Nada

Really tough kids. Who are you trying to convince?
Us or yourselves?

This is hilarious. The Vols bothering you trolls so much that you keep trying to say something relevant.
Can't do it.

Hey Vandy troll..............remember the year 2054.
That's when the Commode doors even the rivalry with Tennessee. Excuse me...........that is if you win the next 44 games between the 2 schools.

As for the Nada kid.............nada speaks well for your intelligence................none. But you try..

Pompey writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

....go U.Conn.......

smyrnavol writes:

that is meant for nadavol. sorry guys.

wycoller writes:

in response to NadaVol:

Sir/Mam/It.....Wanna see a REAL "big fool"? Just take a glance at a mirror, any mirror.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

"WE DON'T WANT TO OVER OFFICIATE ? !" THE PASS INTERFERENCE CALL WAS THE EPITOME OF OVER-OFFICIATING...CALLING SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

VolsAllTheWay writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

Vandy doesn't have a website. It takes 3 Ws for a website. Vandy still can't get 3 Ws in a row to have a website. Now if the internet gods would set up WLL or LWL or LLL, they'll be set.

VolWoman writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

I'm so glad you agree that if the game wasn't over, it should have been called. Watch the tape again because Reveiz hadn't recovered the ball yet when the first player took his helmet off. He was partially taking it off while the ball was still rolling even. The game's not over until it's recovered. If Reveiz had picked it up & ran for a touchdown, it would have counted.

pammyvol1000 writes:

It's over. Let's learn from this! It's DD and Wilcox that should take the blame here. Yes, there were some ?? calls but let's move on to beat Ga.

carbonzip writes:

The Vols have played far beyond expectations from the beginning of the season.

LSG410EC83 writes:

NADA AND VANDY, do you two do anything but live on this board posting what doesn't amount to squat. Is the team you pull for so pathetic that you have to come this way and get your frustration out. Do you ever do anything that adds any type of value(like work) I dont see how seeing the amount of time you spend posting. Oh well, have fun doing what you do best, waste oxygen. HAVE BEEN, AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE A VOL FAN.

VolWoman writes:

I should have said it would have counted if we'd had 11 in the game. A personal foul is still enforced though. The game was not over when he took his helmet off.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Hickmc:

Hickmc,

This kid Nada. Notice he said he is NOT a Gator fan.......AFTER Alabama thrashed them. That's the trademark of trolls who jump on the bandwagon until they lose.

Truth be known, good bet is the Nada kid and the NOT-A Vandygrad troll are related..........probably sitting side by side typing 24/7 on our site !
Vols are in the trolls' heads IMO.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to VolsAllTheWay:

Now that is funny, I dont care who you are.

Hickmc writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Hickmc,

Vols are in the trolls' heads IMO.

Yeah I was trying to help uhhh "It" earlier to talk through "it's" problems. It was really making progress then something happened. Might have been a power surge put out "it's" pc.

I just hope "it" doesn't revert "it" was making such progress. Ha

Gotta love the Big Orange my friend!!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I sure want to give coach the benefit of the doubt, but I am really starting to question a lot of the play calling on both sides of the ball. I hope Wilcox starts showing a little more "SEC worthy" defensive calls as well as better offensive play calling. We had several snafus on both sides that ended up being very critical.

Who would be most responsible for missed tackles, the position coach or strength coach? We seem to have a lot of those each week. The most obvious one this week was on the first play of the game.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to GeneralNeyland96redux:

Doesn't seem right to me, but then, my good friend Lostballnhighweeds got poofed for posting a comparison between the mighty crocodile and the common AlleyGator.

volfanincarolina writes: