Vols get another Monday off - for a price

Dooley explains the final moments of the LSU game

Full event details »

On a typical game week, Sunday serves as Tennessee's players' day of rest - if there is such a thing during football season.

Saturday's game at LSU, of course, wasn't the typical game with a typical outcome, so coach Derek Dooley responded accordingly, summoning his team together Sunday "to shape the message."

In return, the Vols received their second consecutive Monday off from practice.

"I didn't want them to have a day off and have all the fans, their friends, their families talk about how they got screwed because that's not the case," Dooley said. "We need to be accountable for it ... That's what people do."

UT's shortage of depth, a problem that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, also played a part in Dooley's decision, and he didn't rule out canceling a few more Monday practices in the future.

While some of UT's SEC rivals opt to hold a short practice Sunday and take Monday off, Dooley said he prefers to keep his team completely off the field Sundays "because it's like a wasted practice."

"I like the Monday thing because it's an extra practice where you're better prepared for the practice," he said. "it makes for a better Tuesday."

Injury Rundown: Dallas Thomas' only option is to get healthy, Dooley said, because he's without options if he has to replace the sophomore left tackle.

Thomas hurt his ankle during Saturday's game at LSU, but the injury doesn't appear to be serious enough for Dooley to consider tinkering with his inexperienced offensive line.

"Obviously if we knew he was out, we'd have to reshuffle and reteach a lot of stuff," Dooley said. "We're getting a little continuity. I don't want to mess that up."

Defensive tackle Victor Thomas (ankle), kicker Daniel Lincoln (quadriceps) and defensive end Gerald Williams (thumb) are considered "day to day," Dooley said. Center Cody Pope (stinger), guard JerQuari Schofield (foot), defensive back Naz Oliver (ACL), defensive tackle Marlon Walls (Achilles) and Ben Martin (Achilles) are out for the foreseeable future.

Defensive end Chris Walker said Thomas was in the training room twice before noon Monday, "so I think he'll be fine."

Dooley said Pope has been hampered by the "longest stinger injury in the history of college football."

"It might be because he doesn't eat meat," Dooley said. "I'm starting to think that the meat, red meat and chicken, is the cure for stingers. That's my conclusion. We're out of any other medical options, so I'm going to try to force a steak down him tonight."

On Second Thought: Throughout last week, Dooley said freshman tailback Rajion Neal would receive a healthy dose of carries against LSU.

Ultimately, though, Neal didn't touch the ball once Saturday. Starter Tauren Poole, who was hampered by a thigh injury during practice last week, finished with 24 carries and 110 rushing yards, an effort that was recognized by the SEC office.

"It got hard there when you're three-and-outing it all the time," Dooley said. "What we need to do is start the drive with the young ones, even (wide receivers) Da'Rick (Rogers) and Justin (Hunter)."

Tub Talk: Quarterback Matt Simms said he hasn't felt the need to soak in an ice bath this season and probably won't anytime soon.

"I kind of just believe in the natural healing process, I guess," he said.

No SEC quarterback has been sacked more than Simms, who has been taken down 16 times in the past four games. Tennessee ranks last in the SEC and 117th in the nation with 19 sacks allowed.

"The bad thing is I'm going to be on a lot of highlight reels and I don't want to be on their highlight reels," Simms said.

Andrew Gribble can be reached at 865-342-6327.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

Hot epsom salts water will soak the sore out of damn near anything.

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

man, were there any positives in this? are team is not dead???

Hugevolfan24 writes:

it worked out good last week to give them the exrta day off. there is no reason not to try it again. i think that is the longest i have ever heard of someone being out with a stinger. i like cdd's solution to that problem. it is good to get the young guys involved, but it is hard to do that with people like pool looking so good.

KENVOL writes:

If Simms would throw the stupid ball instead of holding it he wouldn't get sacked near as much. Just remember Ainge. He would throw the ball to the receiver or out of bounds just as he finished his drop back but he didn't take a sack.

volsfannsc writes:

in response to KENVOL:

Everyone, and I mean everyone has been dogging Simms for not running through his progressions before throwing. Now you feel the need to bash him for doing just that. Besides, Ainge had a little more than 1.7 seconds of protection to throw.
At first, I wasn't too hot on this Simms kid, but the more I see the more I like. Granted he is a diamond in the rough, but he continually improves week by week.

TommyJack writes:

in response to KENVOL:

Ainge? Pick another model.

VolsDoc81TX writes:

Hi y'all,

Naffy, bob or do you go by Robert? Saw in one of your posts that you are from Memphis...will be in town for the tiger high game...can I buy you a beer? Just let me know when and where Mr. Ellison.

The real story on vandygrad is that the poor fellow is very upset with UT. He has to pay for UT tuition for his son...(from a previous screen name - cannot remember voldoc50 or biggunzz)...but as life dealt him a bad hand...he is a ticket scalper for vanderbilt sports! Talk about a bum deal...please help him by buying vandy football tickets so that his son can complete his UT education and pay for the help that poor vadygrad needs.

hehe, could not resist.
Very tired of both of these trolls, time to move along boys.

Go Big Orange!

12Hours writes:

in response to KENVOL:

Wasn't it Ainge who threw a side arm interception to an LSU player inside the 5?
The LSU player walked right in for the TD.
I'll keep Simms!

PHAT_VOL writes:

The more I see of Coach Dooley the more I like him. Honest to the bone and mans up when he is wrong. And most importantly he can relate and coach his players. Come on just one more top ten recruiting class. I also had a good friend and LSU fan who after the game said two yrs. and we will be back with the big boys.
I think he's right.
GO VOLS !!

VolGrad writes:

Classic Dooley humor.

flatrock writes:

in response to KENVOL:

The more I see of Simms, the more I like. He is a tough kid and, I believe, a developing leader. He
is getting better every week and is a perfect fit
for our young team.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to steviejanowski:

Now that's funny! Although, I find the thought of being a vegan offensive.

Oenoboy writes:

None of us have any idea how much pain Pope is actually in but what appeared to be a minor injury has now dragged on for weeks. Makes one wonder if there is something beyond a physical injury keeping him off the field.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to KENVOL:

Only 2 possible reasons could possibly be used to invoke any semblance of logic in determining how you could use Ainge as a role model:

1. You are less than 5 years old
2. You are a complete idiot

Possibly one of the worst examples and decision making involving ball security by a UT QB occurred the last time we were in Death Valley by your role model, a young Eric. If reason 1 above isn't factual, then find and watch it.

Maybe both 1 and 2 above are true.

TommyJack writes:

TKO writes:

Dont know how Sims will ever make it to the end of the year. Dont under estimate the pups when they are backed against the hedges.
Go Vols.

AHoffman writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Why don't you give him your extra pair.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Classic T.J. LMAO!!

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to 12Hours:

The LSU player walked right in for the TD.
I'll keep Simms!

Yes, it was. He also threw the interception in the SEC Championship Game (also against LSU) that lost the game. Ainge was scared of his own shadow. Simms is tough.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

I don't like the coach throwing his player under the bus. If he has a serious concussion then he shouldn't be out there. Its kind of funny when he says it but it has idiots like you implying Pope is a P*&!*y.

Thats just not right. Our coach has a lot to learn in regards to game management, after game management (shaking the other coaches hand) and backing his players. I need to see coach improve in all three of these areas before I declare we are on our way.

VolsDoc81TX writes:

Before everyone throws Pope under the meat wagon; there are several possibilities.
A stinger is generally a benign injury if it resolves quickly, cannot remember which game he was hurt...has it been three weeks now? If so, then your common stinger is not the issue.
A common stinger is simply a traumatic stretch of the upper trunk of the brachial plexus without any actual nerve injury. At this point, the Vols medical staff needs to expand their differential diagnoses. This should include an actual upper trunk brachial plexopathy, congenital cervical stenosis, cervical disc herniation, etc. As the treatment for each of these can be significantly different...correct diagnosis is key for correct treatment. Remember Inky Johnson, his was the grandaddy of all "stingers", he actually developed a hematoma and still has nerve damage.
Personally, I am quite concerned with Pope's lack of progress and recovery. On a more humorous note...true vegans have trouble with nerve injuries because recovery requires essentially fatty acids not often found in true vegan diets...luckily he eats sushi!

For the trolls, I know that there were a lot of big words there that you will not understand...get a dictionary then I will happily answer all your questions.

Go Big Orange! I am very excited, just found out that I get to go to the tiger high game!!!

brokebackvol writes:

Pope might not eat meat, but the team sure is HUNGRY. Look out, UGAG!

Tennacious writes:

Beware Georgia this week. They are wounded and cornered. They are desperate and will come out fighting. We will have to match their intensity and play through some adversity.

Crutch writes:

in response to FirstAndGoal:

Pope and Schofield being out is what is killing us! It seems most of the pressure is up the middle. James Stone I think will be good in the future, but when you have a JUCO transfer that lets guys through untouched and a true freshman next to him it spells trouble. Gooch is just a body right now. I hope he gets better, because I don't think he can get much worse.

TommyJack writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I don't think he's throwing Pope under the bus. He's just trying to motivate him. He is said to have a stinger. That's not a concussion. And stingers don't last weeks. I think he's just badgering Pope to grow a pair.

vol88 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

You watched it 100 times? My God, it must really stink to have your life. Good luck, and I mean that seriously. I hope you can get well.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to 12Hours:

The LSU player walked right in for the TD.
I'll keep Simms!

Yes, it was possibly the single worst play I've ever seen a Tennessee player make. I know Ainge had some good games for the Vols after that, but I'm still glad Marsalis Teague wears #10 now. It helps to keep me from thinking about that God-awful throw. I'm with you 12Hours, I'll take Simms and his toughness over Ainge anytime.

Ironcity writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I saw the look in his eyes when they took him out against Oregon and he had no clue where he was. I understand the coach is trying to motivate him but I am a believer that if the kid could play he would. I understand it was humor that coach Dooley was attempting but I just think it was in poor taste. Like I said I have come to like Dooley but he is not without his faults and I want to see him grow with his team.

allvol32 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

Dude, do you know what OCD is? You're just plain pitiful...it's really sad to see this level of mental illness on public display like this - get help and soon, seriously. Heed the warning signs before it's too late.

MemphoVol writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

What continues to be really funny, VandyGrad, is that Vaaaanderbilt, as always, is ranked dead last in the SEC in Total Offense and Total Defense.

MusicCityVol writes:

Top 5 Most Painful Losses
www.checkerboardchatter.blogspot.com

spvol writes:

in response to VolsDoc81TX:

Do we owe you a consult fee?

AVOL4EVR2 writes:

in response to VandyGrad:

You said that you saw it 100 times....would you like to give a report on it now????? DA

fronix5000 writes:

PLEASE STOP BASHING SIMMS...The people I keep running into say we need another QB...NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER PLAYED FOOTBALL!!!! I think Simms is awesome. He mans up, gets better every week...he has had some nice throws/reads too. He makes few mistakes...he has to improvise nearly every snap. Peyton Manning would not look much better with less than two seconds to get the ball, run thru progressions, and accurately throw. Last time I checked Peyton's time..it was 2.4 seconds on his quick 5 & outs. Nearly a full second longer than simms is having. I'm not comparing the two...just saying Simms is doing good with what he has to do it with.

BigOrangeSlim writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

I think he's right.
GO VOLS !!

I agree Phat, watched the press conference last night and I thought Coach was really honest, almost brutally honest. Make no mistake he is learning and the staff is jelling. 3 years and a majority of their own players will really be fun to watch!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

Simms would start for LSU. He's getting better every week.....and he needs to.

Dooley should buy him a Kevlar bodysuit.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

Pope needs to get his butt in geer or gone .

AncientVolFan writes:

in response to VolsDoc81TX:

Doc, now if Pope has stenosis of the uterine cervix I think I'm beginning to understand. Hope it's in his neck, however.

hueypilot writes:

As for Dooley not shaking hands, I was there, the scene on the field was pandemonium, and not a single LSU supporter I saw or talked to had anything to say other than, "you guys deserved to win, you won and you got screwed." That's what I felt, that's what Dooley likely felt, and I commend Miles for seeking Dooley out. I think Miles is a class act as a man, based on everything I have seen and heard about him, he just makes strange decisions during games.
I think he's the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with. Just not sure if you'd want him coaching your football team.

All kinds of story lines next week. Keep in mind most of Dooley's experiences in Sandford stadium as a participant are as a foe of the Dawgs with the exception of his time as a GA there.